or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First look: Apple's latest iOS 7 beta debuts on iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First look: Apple's latest iOS 7 beta debuts on iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And here come all the design experts to tell us how Apple got it all wrong. Next we'll get the Tim needs to bring back Scott Forstall pronto or Apple is doomed posts...

 

Let's see, when a designer designs something, and the public rejects it, then the designer is a failure. Am I missing something? If a designer came into your house and did a gaudy job, in your opinion, you don't have a right to complain because you're not a design expert? Fail...

post #82 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I actually like most of it. But then, I do like Windows 8 Modern GUI, so my taste is obviously tuned toward such visuals.
 

 

You just summed up the value of your opinion...

post #83 of 131
The green rectangle popping up for incoming call - first time I couldn't find out how to answer! It is NOT obvious that accepting an incoming is done via a right fingerswipe! It's NOT a good thing abandoning button-like user feedback. Many things seem scrapped just for the sake of it.
post #84 of 131
Nice Malm dresser from Ikea in the Camera app screenshot. I know that dresser anywhere.
post #85 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Because it isn't, by any stretch of the imagination.
That sums up a lot of posts from you people these days.

 

And by "you people", what do you mean, exactly?

 

Although Apple may not be in 'free-fall', it is clear that there are problems.  The chorus of people who are unhappy with the UI direction Apple is taking ought to serve notice to you and others who are passionate about the brand that there is trouble.  I've seen surveys where more than 50% of people who were shown the new UI disliked it and considered it a step backwards.  You don't have to look very far to see that in action; just read the comments here.  And in contrast to the reflexive dismiss mechanism so prevalent here, that sort of thing does matter, since Apple needs to actually sell these devices.

 

So let me ask you: What do you think will happen to device sales in the long term if Apple persists in this course unchecked?  From history, I'm betting your response will be something like "nothing", or perhaps a misdirection and a non-answer.  But just consider this: I personally know multiple people who would not buy another Apple product with this UI running on the device, for no other reason than it is just harder to read.  Of everyone I know who uses Apple products (and I include myself) I don't know anyone that likes the new UI or who thinks it is an improvement.  Nobody.  Map that reaction out across even 25% of current owners and you have a problem, and I think the anecdotal evidence suggests this reaction is going to be much more prevalent than 25%.  In the enterprise, It will be even worse.

 

I read right here on AI that American Airlines uses iPads in all their cockpits.  It is finding use in schools, etc.  What do you think will happen there if Apple introduces a UI where the typography is notably more difficult to read and where in many documented instances text just blends into the background?  And yes, that IS a fact - there are enough screen snaps of exactly that sort of thing floating around the web (and right here on AI) that one would have to be willfully ignorant to attempt to dismiss it.  Now, do you think that educators, and mission critical users like airlines... will react positively to a UI that offers fewer visual cues and with typographical features that make text difficult to discern?  I don't think so.

 

Anyone who just wants to sit idly by and approve of this stuff without question merely because Apple is doing it is making a serious miscalculation.

post #86 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversquonk View Post

I agree. Perhaps it's my age (don't ask) but I find the visual clues much clearer and I can use the phone without glasses for much of the time, which I couldn't before. Initially I thought is was rather too simple but now it feels that a great deal of thought has gone into this. 

 

I wear glasses and I find it much the opposite; I think it is vastly more difficult to read.

post #87 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

And by "you people", what do you mean, exactly?

Oh, you know exactly what I mean. 1wink.gif
Quote:
The chorus of people who are unhappy with the UI direction Apple is taking ought to serve notice to you and others who are passionate about the brand that there is trouble.

No, listening to morons never really gets anyone anywhere. Apple is fine.
Quote:
I've seen surveys...

Lemme guess; online? lol.gif Who fricking cares?
Quote:
What do you think will happen to device sales in the long term if Apple persists in this course unchecked?

Record sales, record profits, record revenue, record marketshare, record customer service, and even record environmentalism, despite Peein'-grease's best efforts.
Quote:
From history, I'm betting your response will be something like "nothing"...

Thanks for proving you know absolutely nothing whatsoever about Apple's history.
Quote:
I personally know... ...I don't know anyone...

No one gives a flying frick. Your anecdotes are no more or less acceptable than anyone else's, which means the majority can't wait for iOS 7.
Quote:
And yes, that IS a fact

Note to self: subjectivity is now fact. My education continues...
Quote:
Anyone who just wants to sit idly by and approve of this stuff without question merely because Apple is doing it is making a serious miscalculation.

Good thing no one, even among those of us who like the new UI, is doing that, huh? 1oyvey.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #88 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 
As predicted, you answered none of my points in a substantive way.

Again, because you don't have any points. However there was stuff that could be dismissed, and I did that.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #89 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Again, because you don't have any points. However there was stuff that could be dismissed, and I did that.

 

Nonsense.  I made multiple points.  You just don't like them, and are too disingenuous to deal with that like an adult.

post #90 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I made multiple points.

Sorry, my mistake, you don't have any points that an intelligent person would spend more than a few seconds paying any attention to.

Which is why Apple is going to ignore all the whining about iOS 7, just like they did every single other iOS release. If you can't see that, buy something else.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #91 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Sorry, my mistake, you don't have any points that an intelligent person would spend more than a few seconds paying any attention to.

Which is why Apple is going to ignore all the whining about iOS 7, just like they did every single other iOS release. If you can't see that, buy something else.

 

Ah yes, direct from the iPhone expert.  

post #92 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Ah yes, direct from the iPhone expert.  

To clarify, you say this because you are of the belief that ownership of a device is insufficient to comment on it, correct? Despite that having absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand, yes?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #93 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Sorry, my mistake, you don't have any points that an intelligent person would spend more than a few seconds paying any attention to.

Which is why Apple is going to ignore all the whining about iOS 7, just like they did every single other iOS release. If you can't see that, buy something else.

 

Well I didnt notice at first but some choice of text size and colors make some parts of the UI difficult to read. Small text with gray of gray or gray on white are very difficult to read to me. White on Cyan is not very good either, for me anyway. 

 

I also think some section frames are too discret, to the point some people will simply not see them. This is where flat interface gets tricky, you need to be carefull to not over do it.

 

But on the other hand, the look is more clean so finding something on a screen is easier imo, because the interface is more discret, apps or functions pops out. Balance is key here, you dont want the UI to be so discreet to the point you have problems seing it when you look for it. For example, in a song list, the first thing you should see at first glance is the songs, not buttons or frames or backgrounds. But on the other hand, if I do need to use the interface, I should still be able to clearly read it.

 

Like I said before, I love that everything will scale easily on multiple screen sizes, I ma very "pro choice" regarding screen sizes.  And this could scale from a watch to a 60" TV screen, so if this is the driving factor behind the change I am up for it.


Edited by herbapou - 6/25/13 at 10:47am
post #94 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

 

Ah yes, direct from the iPhone expert.  

 

When discussing a product be it an iPhone, a car, or a blender for that matter you are likely to have a much more engaging discussion with someone that actually owns and uses said product. That is just common sense. Unless you actually own an iPhone how can you comment on your likes or dislikes of XYZ features? You can't. It is the equivalent of a guy that owns a hyundai going to a BMW forum and trying to follow the conversation about how it takes turns at high speeds by using second hand knowledge that he read.That carries no weight and zero credibility since you have not used or driven the car yourself. When TS can put his money where his mouth is and actually buy and use an iPhone then his rants might at least have some basis in fact from his actual experience. Until then he is free to comment on every iPhone thread that appears daily on AI but we can all ignore his points since we know he doesn't own or use an iPhone since he has told us this himself.

 

I am still waiting for him to reconcile and explain his position that iOS 6 was perfect. Anytime someone suggested some new features he shot them down as brain dead idiots. But Apple seems to have listened to the public since iOS 7 answer nearly all those complaints and wish lists ad completely overhauled the OS. Then perhaps he can explain since the iPhone is perfect why he has never bought one himself. I think he said he uses a flip phone if memory serves. 

 

As to iOS 7 and the readability, have a little faith in Apple. This is still an early beta and I think you will find by the time it goes GM these issues will largey be fixed. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #95 of 131
I have to say that a lot of the color choices are a bit too reminiscent of Windows XP.

And that's a bad thing.
post #96 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I have to say that a lot of the color choices are a bit too reminiscent of Windows XP.

And that's a bad thing.

Wait until you actually use it and you won't think that at all. Anytime a major change occurs people always feel the need to compare it to an existing product like Windows, Web OS, or something else. It is still an early beta and probably much will change but even at this stage it pains me to look at iOS 6 again. It really is a massive improvement I promise you. Yes, I have a few issues I don't like but I trust they will address these before it is GM. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #97 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

And by "you people", what do you mean, exactly?

Although Apple may not be in 'free-fall', it is clear that there are problems.  The chorus of people who are unhappy with the UI direction Apple is taking ought to serve notice to you and others who are passionate about the brand that there is trouble.  I've seen surveys where more than 50% of people who were shown the new UI disliked it and considered it a step backwards.  You don't have to look very far to see that in action; just read the comments here.  And in contrast to the reflexive dismiss mechanism so prevalent here, that sort of thing does matter, since Apple needs to actually sell these devices.

So let me ask you: What do you think will happen to device sales in the long term if Apple persists in this course unchecked?  From history, I'm betting your response will be something like "nothing", or perhaps a misdirection and a non-answer.  But just consider this: I personally know multiple people who would not buy another Apple product with this UI running on the device, for no other reason than it is just harder to read.  Of everyone I know who uses Apple products (and I include myself) I don't know anyone that likes the new UI or who thinks it is an improvement.  Nobody.  Map that reaction out across even 25% of current owners and you have a problem, and I think the anecdotal evidence suggests this reaction is going to be much more prevalent than 25%.  In the enterprise, It will be even worse.

I read right here on AI that American Airlines uses iPads in all their cockpits.  It is finding use in schools, etc.  What do you think will happen there if Apple introduces a UI where the typography is notably more difficult to read and where in many documented instances text just blends into the background?  And yes, that IS a fact - there are enough screen snaps of exactly that sort of thing floating around the web (and right here on AI) that one would have to be willfully ignorant to attempt to dismiss it.  Now, do you think that educators, and mission critical users like airlines... will react positively to a UI that offers fewer visual cues and with typographical features that make text difficult to discern?  I don't think so.

Anyone who just wants to sit idly by and approve of this stuff without question merely because Apple is doing it is making a serious miscalculation.

The typography will probably get easier to read. There are already clear indications of a sort of shadow in beta 2
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #98 of 131
Another thing improved in beta2 is the gradient in newsstand. Or rather it's changed the first time you use it. Maybe they are testing us A/B. Anyway looks lots better.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #99 of 131


New gradients.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #100 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


It's easier to see the "shelves" now, but that also gives it the effect of being like the smoked glass layers of the UI proper, and that doesn't help.

I really don't think they know what to do about their book UIs. I would have preferred Newsstand, iBooks, and iTunes U combined as a single app. Have iBooks be on shelves like now, Newsstand gets metal shelving, and iTunes U keeps its darker-colored wood (make it based on cherry or mahogany or something). Then each category is easily distinguishable and has a styling appropriate to its most common real-world form. Either that or just nothing at all, like Videos, because that works quite well.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #101 of 131
Decent reply TS. And slightly critical of Apple.

You ok?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #102 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You ok?

There's just way more nonsensical criticism of Apple here than there is nonsensical faith. You'll therefore see me reply to the former more than the latter. 1tongue.gif

I really think they ought to kick up the drop shadows in iOS 7. Maybe not to 6 levels, but more than now. I'm sort of confused why iOS 7 slimmed down its font and OS X has bolded it. Compare filenames between 10.8 and 10.9; they're a lot bolder! No clue why; it was fine the way it is...

It's Apple, after all. Remember they used to argue over single pixels? As long as that is still happening, they'll make a quality product. Speaking somewhat on that, the icons are all done around a single theme now. That's all well and good, as it creates a sense of unity, but followed too strictly the UI will become "cookie cutter". I don't know that this is the case; I'm just saying. There's a balance Apple has to hit, but lately they've been treating it more like a pendulum than they should.

If they believe it swung too far one way (skeuomorphism), the danger is in letting it swing too far back the other (zero actual design to the UI). Making a calendar look like a physical desktop calendar is great. Making its design so puffy and garish it looks as though it could stick out of the screen is not. It's said that Calendar (Find My Friends) took its design from Steve's private jet, which is visibly apparent. Now, I'm not really sure why Steve LIKED that jet's upholstery in the first place, but that's a whole different issue.

Something like this would have been "a bit much". lol.gif


But something like this for the top bar and border, well... is more tasteful. You can still see that it's going for the "leather calendar" analogue, but it's not completely and utterly devoid of design.


I think that if Calendar in OS X (and iOS, if it doesn't have it already) would be even better if they gave it that nice little mottled white background they've given to text input fields in iOS. Then you'd have the clean, stripped down interface already created, but with some heart to it–with a tie to the physical analogue so that it becomes more than just a blank screen.
Edited by Tallest Skil - 6/25/13 at 12:28pm

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #103 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post



New gradients.

 

The most obvious thing they fixed is that you can now actually read the text.  In the previous version, 'Newsstand' was white against that light blue background.  It was unreadable.  The next thing they need to do is fix the 'Store' label, which still offers too little contrast between figure and ground.

post #104 of 131
Yeah, TS. The prime example of the war against skeumorphism is the notes app. Now it's a text view with a yellow back button. Like a My First App. That kind of thing - notes which looked vaguely like their real world counterparts - is nowhere near the garishness of Game Center for instance. It was ok.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #105 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


There's just way more nonsensical criticism of Apple here than there is nonsensical faith. You'll therefore see me reply to the former more than the latter. 1tongue.gif

I really think they ought to kick up the drop shadows in iOS 7. Maybe not to 6 levels, but more than now. It's Apple, after all. Remember they used to argue over single pixels? As long as that is still happening, they'll make a quality product. Speaking somewhat on that, the icons are all done around a single theme now. That's all well and good, as it creates a sense of unity, but followed too strictly the UI will become "cookie cutter". I don't know that this is the case; I'm just saying. There's a balance Apple has to hit, but lately they've been treating it more like a pendulum than they should.

If they believe it swung too far one way (skeuomorphism), the danger is in letting it swing too far back the other (zero actual design to the UI). Making a calendar look like a physical desktop calendar is great. Making its design so puffy and garish it looks as though it could stick out of the screen is not. It's said that Calendar (Find My Friends) took its design from Steve's private jet, which is visibly apparent. Now, I'm not really sure why Steve LIKED that jet's upholstery in the first place, but that's a whole different issue.

Something like this would have been "a bit much". lol.gif


But something like this for the top bar and border, well... is more tasteful. You can still see that it's going for the "leather calendar" analogue, but it's not completely and utterly devoid of design.


I think that if Calendar in OS X (and iOS, if it doesn't have it already) would be even better if they gave it that nice little mottled white background they've given to text input fields in iOS. Then you'd have the clean, stripped down interface already created, but with some heart to it–with a tie to the physical analogue so that it becomes more than just a blank screen.

 

Good grief.  You badgered me in your special trollish fashion earlier, and then you turn right around and parrot some of the very criticisms I have been making since the day IOS7 was revealed.  Pure genius.

post #106 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Good grief.  You badgered me in your special trollish fashion earlier, and then you turn right around and parrot the very criticisms I have been making since the day IOS7 was revealed.  Pure genius.

You lose; please don't try again. 1oyvey.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The prime example of the war against skeumorphism is the notes app. Now it's a text view with a yellow back button. Like a My First App. That kind of thing - notes which looked vaguely like their real world counterparts - is nowhere near the garishness of Game Center for instance. It was ok.

I know! Notes was great. It looked just like a real yellow legal pad. But this? THIS?!

This is just bluh. No lines, no formatting...

Worst part is, the icon (OS X) still looks like the real deal, which means you know the entire lineup of OS X applications is getting an icon overhaul before GM! 1frown.gif

Note that Reminders in OS X is still pretty. It still looks like one side of one of those leather folios. I think the texture to the black part of it is more muted, but that makes it look even better than otherwise!

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #107 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


You lose; please don't try again. 1oyvey.gif
I know! Notes was great. It looked just like a real yellow legal pad. But this? THIS?!

This is just bluh. No lines, no formatting...

Worst part is, the icon (OS X) still looks like the real deal, which means you know the entire lineup of OS X applications is getting an icon overhaul before GM! 1frown.gif

Note that Reminders in OS X is still pretty. It still looks like one side of one of those leather folios. I think the texture to the black part of it is more muted, but that makes it look even better than otherwise!

 

Special points go to you for your trollish use of emoticons; they act to ramp up the credibility of your argument incredibly.  Keep up the good work!

 

Wait, let me add some too: these are in advance for your reply:  lol.gif1oyvey.gif1confused.gif1rolleyes.gif

 

Gee, I guess I have a touch of the 'tallest skil' too.

post #108 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Special points go to you for your trollish use of emoticons; they act to ramp up the credibility of your argument incredibly.  Keep up the good work!

There's no emoticon for "when you actually decide to have an argument at all instead of just your nonsensical claims as per the post earlier on this very page, deciding not to provide any proof for them but instead posting absolutely anything at all as long as it's not on the topic you originally posted, give me a call."

The Japanese like their emoji, but not that much.

Now please, just go away until you understand anything you're trying to talk about.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #109 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 
...you can't pull together two bits to buy an iPhone.

So, once again, because you refused to answer before, your belief is that ownership and use of a product is not sufficient to comment on said product, correct? I demand an answer.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #110 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


So, once again, because you refused to answer before, your belief is that ownership and use of a product is not sufficient to comment on said product, correct? I demand an answer.

 

I think a person can demonstrate keen insight and understanding without personally owning a device.  I just don't think you do that.

post #111 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I think a person can demonstrate keen insight and understanding without personally owning a device.  I just don't think you do that.

Ha! Not bad, not bad.

Still not gonna justify anything you said earlier, though, huh?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #112 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Ha! Not bad, not bad.

Still not gonna justify anything you said earlier, though, huh?

 

What, specifically, would you like me to justify?  You seldom justify any of the inane pot-shots you take at people, why should anyone provide such justification to you?

 

When you want to actually exchange ideas and have real discussions, maybe you'll merit having someone do something other than shoot down what you say and dismiss it.  Until then, expect to get treated like you treat others.

post #113 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

What, specifically, would you like me to justify?

Your entire post, I guess. Given that it's full of blatant lies and obvious FUD, you could at least try to pretend to provide proof of some of what you said.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #114 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

 

I think a person can demonstrate keen insight and understanding without personally owning a device.  I just don't think you do that.

 

Seems like you hit a nerve with that one. 1smoking.gif

 

Funny how the person that posts more often than anyone else about any and every iPhone related article doesn't even own an iPhone. Don't bother asking him why he won't buy one or what phone he uses if any since he will simply ignore those questions. Always the bridesmaid but never the bride when it come to owning an iPhone. But always the first one to tell iPhone owners why they are wrong about any observation they make from actually using one. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #115 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I have to say that a lot of the color choices are a bit too reminiscent of Windows XP.

And that's a bad thing.

No. because Apple will do it properly.

 

Cheers

post #116 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Let's see, when a designer designs something, and the public rejects it, then the designer is a failure. Am I missing something? If a designer came into your house and did a gaudy job, in your opinion, you don't have a right to complain because you're not a design expert? Fail...

Are you talking about Windows 8 Metro? Yeah, the public rejected it. It's a failure.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #117 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That keyboard is just butt ugly. If I wanted a frosted glass table top which that keyboard depicts I'd buy coffee tables with that look.

 

I don't mind the look of the keyboard. I just hope iOS 7 lets me change it to Dvorak so I can tap out messages the same way I type for real.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #118 of 131
I've been running iOS 7 since the beta dropped. Only rolled back for a day, because I initially HATED iOS 7.

Now, having used it non-stop, with the opportunity to really put it through its paces, I can confidently say that I love it. Even the icons have grown on me.

I now understand why the skeumorphism that we would classically call "skeumorphism" is absent from iOS 7:

Because those "real world" obejects - for which skeumorphism acts as a representation - are hardly used anymore. We still use notepads, but we're steadily migrating to digital note-taking. Some of us still use leather-bound calendars, but we're all migrating to digital and online scheduling apps and services.

No line-ruled paper.
No leather.

It appears that Ive recognizes this. Skeumorphism was effective and even necessary, by some standards, up until a few years ago. But in the era of movement en masse to digital/online services, the very objects that skeumorphism exists to represent, are quickly turning into relics, to the degree that, in time, a digital representation of a leather-bound calendar, for example, will look like something that fell out of a tree.
post #119 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I've been running iOS 7 since the beta dropped. Only rolled back for a day, because I initially HATED iOS 7.

Now, having used it non-stop, with the opportunity to really put it through its paces, I can confidently say that I love it. Even the icons have grown on me.

I now understand why the skeumorphism that we would classically call "skeumorphism" is absent from iOS 7:

Because those "real world" obejects - for which skeumorphism acts as a representation - are hardly used anymore. We still use notepads, but we're steadily migrating to digital note-taking. Some of us still use leather-bound calendars, but we're all migrating to digital and online scheduling apps and services.

No line-ruled paper.
No leather.

It appears that Ive recognizes this. Skeumorphism was effective and even necessary, by some standards, up until a few years ago. But in the era of movement en masse to digital/online services, the very objects that skeumorphism exists to represent, are quickly turning into relics, to the degree that, in time, a digital representation of a leather-bound calendar, for example, will look like something that fell out of a tree.

And if you really can't say goodbye to leather, I'm sure there's lots of apps for that. You're not stuck to the default apps.
post #120 of 131
When Ive remarked that removing the cruft from iOS would result in an unobtrusive, DEFERENTIAL UI, that recedes in order to allow the content to come to the fore, this wasn't just marketing-speak. It was - and is - a statement of demonstrable fact. This really is what's going on. And what UI elements are there, are minimal, clean, and at most, elegant in only a simplistic, unadorned way. Even the animations feel more "mature."

We've grown accustomed to all the niceties of iOS 6 and previous iterations. We loved its warmth and character. And boy did it have character! The UI was, indeed, unique and much-loved. Hell, *I* swore by it in the face of many a comparison with competing interfaces. But having spent time with iOS 7, and given my *own* enjoyment of it (your mileage may vary), it makes iOS6 look like a toy OS: fun, cute, but unrefined. I'll grant that some elements of iOS made it easier for the technologically-intimidated to figure things out. Targets were more distinct and obvious. But this was *also* tantamount (eventually) to handing someone one of those oversized, big-button phones, simply because everything looks a little more obvious on it. In time, you'll think it also looks a bit ridiculous. Ive and his team seemed to have struck just the right balance between usability and minimalism. It's simplicity that is *also* very usable. Others have tried this and failed. Google, for instance, has tried this and failed. They and their partners have simply overloaded the UI. Feature-creep that is untamed. To paraphrase Ive, complexity without any order.

And let's be real here. Compared to the competition, iOS 7 is *still* more usable and easy to grasp by an order of magnitude. Most everything about it is still familiar - still good old iOS.

Now, a lot of folks haven't had an opportunity to spend any time with the Beta, much less use it as their daily-driver since the release like I have, so their apprehension is understandable. But if you do get a chance to use it, spend some time with it. You might be pleasantly surprised.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First look: Apple's latest iOS 7 beta debuts on iPad