or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft said plotting 'major restructuring' with reorganization to happen as soon as July 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft said plotting 'major restructuring' with reorganization to happen as soon as July 1

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
As it struggles to adjust to the new mobile computing paradigm, software giant Microsoft is said to be mulling a shift in its organizational structure that may leave it better prepared to take on the likes of the iPad, iPhone, and Android devices.

ms


Earlier this month, reports emerged that Microsoft was planning a reorganization that would bring a greater focus on devices and services. Its Xbox console aside, Microsoft's move into computing hardware is a largely new step, as the software giant entered the fray only in the past year with the announcement of its Surface tablets.

The new arrangement is said to have been guided largely by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, with a number of senior executives outside the loop and somewhat anxious regarding their futures at the company, according to AllThingsD.

?It feels like it is going to be titanic ? that Steve is doing this change for his legacy,? said one source. ?And it?s the first time in a long time that it feels like that there will be some major shifts, including some departures.?

At the center of the reorganization would be a simplification of Microsoft's management structure. Reports from earlier this month floated the possibility that the Windows OS group could be jointly headed by Windows Phone lead Terry Myerson and Windows engineering head Julie Larson-Green.

This sort of alignment would be aimed at bringing Windows and Windows Phone closer together in capabilities and interoperability. Microsoft's attempt at gaining a foothold in the smartphone market has so far disappointed, even though it has gained some marketshare.

The company's Windows desktop platform has been having just as difficult a time. Consumers increasingly are opting for smartphones and tablets instead of traditional computing form factors. The company's Windows 8 was supposed to address this trend, blending Windows' legacy apps with a new touchscreen interface. The results in terms of sales, though, have been underwhelming for both Microsoft and its manufacturing partners.

The new corporate organizational structure might materialize by July 1, with Ballmer revealing the plan to a group of senior executives.
post #2 of 77

Translation: Windows 8 and the tablets have been a failure.


Edited by jd_in_sb - 6/24/13 at 6:31pm

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #3 of 77
While I'm sure that I couldn't do any better, I sincerely hope that Steve Balmer replaces himself in that reorganization as well. Like a lot of people, I occasionally have to use Microsoft products and really wish that they were better designed and engineered. Remember that, once upon a time, this was a very imaginative company with very compelling products including Mac Basic. Yes, they also engaged in questionable competitive practices but we are all the worse for how they have been performing over the past decade. Apple and Google can't come up with every good idea. A new leader who demonstrates greater wisdom would help us all.
post #4 of 77
HA HA HA HA HA HA THEY'RE GOING TO STOP MAKING OS SOFTWARE HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Just as long as they keep Ballmer. Whatever they do, Ballmer MUST stay.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #5 of 77
If not done well, "titanic" may be the apt descriptor of a reorganization.
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HA HA HA HA HA HA THEY'RE GOING TO STOP MAKING OS SOFTWARE HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Just as long as they keep Ballmer. Whatever they do, Ballmer MUST stay.

 

Absolutely!!! Microsoft without Monkey Boy serving as an Albatross around its neck might actually manage to churn something out that didn't stink like something that fell out of a dog's butt.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

If not done well, "titanic" may be the apt descriptor of a reorganization.


Shuffle the deck chairs!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #8 of 77
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This sort of alignment would be aimed at bringing Windows and Windows Phone closer together in capabilities and interoperability.

 

Oh.  Now they're thinking about interoperability and the whole ecosystem thing.

Finally getting serious, are we Ballmer?

 

Maybe the "capabilities and interoperability" would have been easier if Windows desktop and 

Windows Phone shared the same kernel and low-level OS code.  But then again, maybe the Windows

kernel and low-level code (and, horror of single-point-of-failure horrors, The Registry), were too

bloated, fragile, and too dependent on Intel's power-hog CPUs to port to mobile.

 

Good luck with that legacy deal, Ballmer.

And may the computing gods be more favorable to your successor.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #9 of 77
"The new arrangement is said to have been guided largely by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer." Meaning, the same person who 'guided' the rest of the 'titanic' flops of the past decade at Microsoft?

"...there will be some major shifts, including some departures." Except for the one needed most, the departure of Steve Ballmer.

I believe he's the singular legacy holding the company back, and instead of cleaning house, he's entrenching himself further along with all the problems inherent to his continued tenure.

With this news I can probably safely say, 'So long Microsoft, and thanks for all the fish...'
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

While I'm sure that I couldn't do any better, I sincerely hope that Steve Balmer replaces himself in that reorganization as well. Like a lot of people, I occasionally have to use Microsoft products and really wish that they were better designed and engineered. Remember that, once upon a time, this was a very imaginative company with very compelling products including Mac Basic. Yes, they also engaged in questionable competitive practices but we are all the worse for how they have been performing over the past decade. Apple and Google can't come up with every good idea. A new leader who demonstrates greater wisdom would help us all.

 

 

Microsoft has become the 200 lb gorilla in the room that still thinks and behaves like it is the 600 lb gorilla, ignoring that Google and Apple have grown into 600lb and 1000 lb gorillas.

 

That's enough of monkeys.

 

Would like to see Microsoft adding more to the innovation game as well- they did take a huge risk with Win 8 and while they had the right idea with the flat functionality the implementation is atrocious.  The UI looks like someone just threw random magnets on a refrigerator door.  It will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with with the flat functionality combined with their always minimalistic elegance.

 

Unfortunately I agree with everyone else that what's really needed isn't going to happen.  Ballmer might skate to where the puck is and get just about everything else wrong, but he's made quite a brilliant textbook career of lopping off the body to preserve the head.

post #11 of 77
I have been suggesting for years that Microsoft needs to dump their platform and take the risk that Apple did by moving to a Unix-based operating system.
post #12 of 77
Who wants to bet on Scott Forstall being part of the new team? 4:1 odds he is top dog under Ballmer.
post #13 of 77

Microsoft isn't doomed yet.  They have a long history of releasing bad versions of Windows followed by much better ones.  Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now.  With the mixed reviews that Windows 8 gets, I would venture a guess that the next version of Windows will probably be pretty good (at least for desktops).  If it's not, then I'll start giving more weight to the naysayers.

 

Here's a simplified timeline to consider:

 

Win 98 SE - Good
Win ME - Bad
Win XP - Good
Win Vista - Bad
Win 7 - Good
Win 8  - Bad

Win 9 - Good?

post #14 of 77
........... Naaaaaaaaaah!
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Microsoft isn't doomed yet.  They have a long history of releasing bad versions of Windows followed by much better ones.  Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now.  With the mixed reviews that Windows 8 gets, I would venture a guess that the next version of Windows will probably be pretty good (at least for desktops).  If it's not, then I'll start giving more weight to the naysayers.

Here's a simplified timeline to consider:

Win 98 SE - Good

Win ME - Bad

Win XP - Good

Win Vista - Bad

Win 7 - Good

Win 8  - Bad
Win 9 - Good?

...........Naaaaaaaah!
post #16 of 77
Given their complete failure in mobile, this comes as no surprise, though it's about three years too late.
post #17 of 77

These are the same people that held a funeral for the iPhone. It's fairly evident that they know very little about mobile devices.

post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

"The new arrangement is said to have been guided largely by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer." Meaning, the same person who 'guided' the rest of the 'titanic' flops of the past decade at Microsoft?

"...there will be some major shifts, including some departures." Except for the one needed most, the departure of Steve Ballmer.

I believe he's the singular legacy holding the company back, and instead of cleaning house, he's entrenching himself further along with all the problems inherent to his continued tenure.

With this news I can probably safely say, 'So long Microsoft, and thanks for all the fish...'

Surprised the corporate world doesn't follow sports, fire the manager/coach never the players.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now. 

post #20 of 77
I guess steve-o isn't leaving. Good news for everyone else, bad news for Microsoft.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Translation: Windows 8 has been a failure.

Windows 8 AND Surface RT AND Surface Pro have been failures and everyone doesn't want to admit it publicly. 

post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Windows 8 AND Surface RT AND Surface Pro have been failures and everyone doesn't want to admit it publicly. 


Agreed!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Translation: Windows 8 has been a failure.

Pretty much. Should have stuck with win 7. Hopefully they drop back to separate PC and phone OSs.
post #24 of 77

There must be tens of thousands of people who own Microsoft stock. When will they get a clue that this company isn't being run very well?

 

Even if Ballmer is the blame for the way the company is managed, getting rid of him won't get rid of the software problems. Engineers made that stuff and for whatever reason they can't find a way to make their OS easy to use and coherent. A friend of mine is regularly frustrated that her old XP machine and her Windows 7 machine regularly freeze.

 

How is it that Microsoft Office is so well liked yet Windows is universally derided? OK, maybe the last changes to Office weren't as well received, but I don't hear people complaining about many bugs in it.

 

Will Microsoft be divided into segments and operated as different companies? There could be the gaming company; the enterprise company, and the OS company. Each could optimize their products for specific audiences. The gaming and enterprise companies could make their software work on numerous platforms instead of just Windows machines or Xboxes. By doing that they wouldn't be tied down to one platform and suffer the consequences. The OS people could try to make something better that hardware manufacturers actually want instead of them being forced to use Windows. If Office software worked on Apple and GNU/Linux machines that part of Microsoft could earn more money. Hardware manufacturers wouldn't be forced into only buying Windows for their machines. Maybe Microsoft's hardware division could coax the OS guys into actually making something worthy of a unique hardware device people would want to buy.
 

post #25 of 77
They should start with Developers Developers
Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers
Ballmer.
post #26 of 77
Quote:
This sort of alignment would be aimed at bringing Windows and Windows Phone closer together in capabilities and interoperability.

 

Riiiiight, because clearly that is how Apple has been successful with the iOS platform - by cramming every desktop feature into there creating a full desktop experience smooshed into a 4" screen - NOT!

 

The single most genius thing that Apple did with the original iPhone was NOT dragging every bit of legacy baggage along for the ride. While I think it is great that the underlying kernel has a similar base - and that many parts of the user interface and user experience are converging - if Apple had tried to deliver a Mac OS X Phone back in 2007 it may not have done nearly as well. 

 

On the other hand - from the limited screen shots I have seen of iOS7 - not sure if my sweet tooth is strong enough for the cotton candy UI - and I have one heck of a sweet tooth. Seriously though, a number of pics I have seen of the developer release show very thin light elements with little contrast between the elements and the background - could be a serious issue if there isn't a way to change it. I do understand to a degree Steve Jobs' obsession with keeping the user experience from getting fragmented - I do not understand the pathological aversion to allowing the end user to customize the appears of their own device. Simple things like audio feedback from UI elements can make a huge difference - or not having monotone gray icons in iTunes can actually be helpful to the user. 

post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Riiiiight, because clearly that is how Apple has been successful with the iOS platform - by cramming every desktop feature into there creating a full desktop experience smooshed into a 4" screen - NOT!

The single most genius thing that Apple did with the original iPhone was NOT dragging every bit of legacy baggage along for the ride. While I think it is great that the underlying kernel has a similar base - and that many parts of the user interface and user experience are converging - if Apple had tried to deliver a Mac OS X Phone back in 2007 it may not have done nearly as well. 

On the other hand - from the limited screen shots I have seen of iOS7 - not sure if my sweet tooth is strong enough for the cotton candy UI - and I have one heck of a sweet tooth. Seriously though, a number of pics I have seen of the developer release show very thin light elements with little contrast between the elements and the background - could be a serious issue if there isn't a way to change it. I do understand to a degree Steve Jobs' obsession with keeping the user experience from getting fragmented - I do not understand the pathological aversion to allowing the end user to customize the appears of their own device. Simple things like audio feedback from UI elements can make a huge difference - or not having monotone gray icons in iTunes can actually be helpful to the user. 

The first few things I have done with both releases of iOS 7 thus far has been use Larger Type, use "Bold Text" and use "Increase Contrast."

Battery life seems much better now due either to the new release or deactivating "Background App Refresh."

"Cotton Candy" UI is a great description. I was thinking "Bubblegum" (as in "Bubblegum Dance" music). In my opinion the color palette is overbearing and the overall design too simplistic lacking the former overall effective, efficient and elegant design.




"Bubblegum dance" is a music genre is characterized by cute lyrics and happy sounds contrived and marketed to appeal to pre-teens and teenagers, that may be produced in an assembly-line process, driven by producers and often using unknown singers. Bubblegum dance usually has a more pop sound than other Eurodance. The lyrics and style are often light-hearted and are not intended to be taken seriously. They are often amusing and cheerful. Bubblegum dance is similar to bubblegum pop music in that they both tend to have fun, childish subjects.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/24/13 at 6:51pm
post #28 of 77

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #29 of 77
When a 16 year old could have handled the XboxOne launch better than MS did, you know you got problems.
post #30 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

 

A friend of mine is regularly frustrated that her old XP machine and her Windows 7 machine regularly freeze.
 

 

She's either trying to run an unstable program or she has a hardware problem.  I've been on the same Windows 7 install for three years and the only time I had freezing problems was when my graphics card would overheat.  A little bit of added ventilation and no more issues.  Windows 7 is ridiculously stable.  XP freezes happen, but they're fairly uncommon.  The same suggestions apply to her for that 'puter as well.

post #31 of 77
Sounds like a Kodak moment!!

😃😃😜😳😢😢😪😰


Not to belittle the big yellow box across town, but there seem to be parallels here. Lets hope that they don't start selling off profitable businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post


Microsoft has become the 200 lb gorilla in the room that still thinks and behaves like it is the 600 lb gorilla, ignoring that Google and Apple have grown into 600lb and 1000 lb gorillas.

That's enough of monkeys.

Would like to see Microsoft adding more to the innovation game as well- they did take a huge risk with Win 8 and while they had the right idea with the flat functionality the implementation is atrocious.  The UI looks like someone just threw random magnets on a refrigerator door.  It will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with with the flat functionality combined with their always minimalistic elegance.

Unfortunately I agree with everyone else that what's really needed isn't going to happen.  Ballmer might skate to where the puck is and get just about everything else wrong, but he's made quite a brilliant textbook career of lopping off the body to preserve the head.
post #32 of 77
Rearranging the deck chairs on a sinking ship.
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

There must be tens of thousands of people who own Microsoft stock. When will they get a clue that this company isn't being run very well?
Usually after a crisis. It comes to a point though that you can only punt and hope for the best with the CEO you have. I'm looking at this from the point of view of watching Kodak implode across town. If you hire a series of CEOs they only have what was left by the previous CEOs to work with. All those errors add up to the point that your last CEO hired is basically working with two hands tied behind his back.
Quote:
Even if Ballmer is the blame for the way the company is managed, getting rid of him won't get rid of the software problems. Engineers made that stuff and for whatever reason they can't find a way to make their OS easy to use and coherent. A friend of mine is regularly frustrated that her old XP machine and her Windows 7 machine regularly freeze.
This is what most people don't get, Ballmer was left with a lot of crap that built up over the years. This is why the effort to write a new OS for the Surface products was the right move even if not well executed.
Quote:
How is it that Microsoft Office is so well liked yet Windows is universally derided? OK, maybe the last changes to Office weren't as well received, but I don't hear people complaining about many bugs in it.
MS isn't well liked, it has always been the cheap solution.
Quote:
Will Microsoft be divided into segments and operated as different companies? There could be the gaming company; the enterprise company, and the OS company. Each could optimize their products for specific audiences. The gaming and enterprise companies could make their software work on numerous platforms instead of just Windows machines or Xboxes. By doing that they wouldn't be tied down to one platform and suffer the consequences. The OS people could try to make something better that hardware manufacturers actually want instead of them being forced to use Windows. If Office software worked on Apple and GNU/Linux machines that part of Microsoft could earn more money. Hardware manufacturers wouldn't be forced into only buying Windows for their machines. Maybe Microsoft's hardware division could coax the OS guys into actually making something worthy of a unique hardware device people would want to buy.

 

One big issue MS needs to address is the very high prices it charges for things like Office. Until they deal with that I can't see a significant increase in adoption on other platforms. People are well aware of the high profits associated with some MS apps and as such make rational decisions to avoid supporting MS greed.

Look at what Apple has done with iWorks which I consider to be smart moves on both IOS and Mac OS. Lowering the price and unbundling is good for both consumers and Apple. Further I'm expecting that Apple is still making a lot of money with iWorks. Maybe not the billions MS makes with Office but enough to keep the software viable and self supporting.

It is actually kinda strange that some people actually associated Apples lowering of software prices as targeting less than professional markets. We have heard such from the Aperture crowd, the Mac OS crowd and others which makes no sense. The professional appeal of a piece of software ought to be tied to its features and usability not its price tag. This especially the case when you have millions of users.

In the end Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that Apples success lately is at least a little bit tied to the more rational software costs associated with their products.
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoom View Post

When a 16 year old could have handled the XboxOne launch better than MS did, you know you got problems.

Microsoft spun their little console flip flop by saying they "listened to their customers." Their stubbornness on Windows 8 seems to say otherwise.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #35 of 77
Ballmer is the one that needs to go in the first place. They are too far gone. At this point they are Blackberry or Palm, just with a lot more money to throw at the problem. By this time next year all they will have to rely on is XBOX, internet services such as Bing and what's left of Office.
post #36 of 77

The comments I read are true, you really are crazy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HA HA HA HA HA HA THEY'RE GOING TO STOP MAKING OS SOFTWARE HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Just as long as they keep Ballmer. Whatever they do, Ballmer MUST stay.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

[snip] Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now. [snip]

 

You must be meaning to say "out of all the Windows OS".

 

I use both Mountain Lion and Win7 at the moment, and I can’t really come to the same conclusion as you... But maybe you are sensitive to things that I am not (and vice-versa).

post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Ballmer is the one that needs to go in the first place. They are too far gone. At this point they are Blackberry or Palm, just with a lot more money to throw at the problem. By this time next year all they will have to rely on is XBOX, internet services such as Bing and what's left of Office.


You have not been observing the financial returns of Microsoft. They are far from gone try these links for their financial situation http://in.advfn.com/p.php?pid=financials&symbol=N^MSFT and  http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft%E2%80%99s-financial-health-simply-unquestionable and if your talking their innovation, then I agree.

Btw: Not defending MS, just that for MS to fold financially, every corporate  would have to stop supporting windows operating system and more importantly MS Office and I think I could become billionaire before that happens.

post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The first few things I have done with both releases of iOS 7 thus far has been use Larger Type, use "Bold Text" and use "Increase Contrast."

Battery life seems much better now due either to the new release or deactivating "Background App Refresh."

"Cotton Candy" UI is a great description. I was thinking "Bubblegum" (as in "Bubblegum Dance" music). In my opinion the color palette is overbearing and the overall design too simplistic lacking the former overall effective, efficient and elegant design.




"Bubblegum dance" is a music genre is characterized by cute lyrics and happy sounds contrived and marketed to appeal to pre-teens and teenagers, that may be produced in an assembly-line process, driven by producers and often using unknown singers. Bubblegum dance usually has a more pop sound than other Eurodance. The lyrics and style are often light-hearted and are not intended to be taken seriously. They are often amusing and cheerful. Bubblegum dance is similar to bubblegum pop music in that they both tend to have fun, childish subjects.
What on earth are you on about?

And how can a colour palette be overbearing?
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now.

Yeah, remember that post of mine you didn't comprehend and I wasn't sure whether you were just pretending you didn't comprehend it?

I know the answer to that now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post



FaceBallm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sounds like a Kodak moment!!

Since their bankruptcy, this phrase has taken on a whole new meaning. A new generation will grow up with both meanings in their pocket...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

And how can a colour palette be overbearing?

Ooh, I'll find you one.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft said plotting 'major restructuring' with reorganization to happen as soon as July 1