or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds second OS X Mavericks Developer Preview [u]

Apple seeds second OS X Mavericks Developer Preview [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 65

Sorry but you must be using a different beta.

The one from last night is a mess.

post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveapplegear View Post

The one from last night is a mess.

Nope.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is what's wrong with the name though.  The blanket assumption that this is a "good" image that everyone will "naturally" like.  I don't give a shite about California, surfing, or anything close to either.  

The only thing worse would be to name the OS's after American football leagues or put a giant f*cking American flag on the box with crossed six-guns or something.  

What it comes down to is really this:  

In almost every culture on earth, it's considered offensive to crow about yourself.  To say "Look at me, I'm the best!"  

Only in the USA is this considered a decent or good thing.  

That's why Mavericks is a bad name.  Because all it is to everyone else is that oh, so familiar American conceit rising to the surface.  In this case it's being thrown in our faces and will continue to be so for TEN YEARS.  We will now have to suffer each release of OS X, because each release will have some moniker that promotes the USA as the "greatest place on earth," "conquerer of the world" etc.  

If it were still the 1950's and thus true that "America leads the world" that would be one thing.  But it isn't.  

This is just the faded, collapsing empire trying to pretend that they are better than everyone else when they are not. 

I think someone needs to listen to our theme song (from Team America: World Police).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BN1jSpiyIM

However, all hope is not lost, the truth comes out, we are dicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32iCWzpDpKs

post #44 of 65

sorry but it is.

it will not install correctly, keeps on crashing.

the first beta installed ok

its the worst beta i have every used.

post #45 of 65
Quote:

So you clicked the single button required for it to install. What happens? You realize you should be telling Apple this on the developer forums rather than whining about it here, right?
Quote:

Except it won't install. Therefore you have never used it. Therefore you cannot POSSIBLY comment on its quality. 1oyvey.gif1rolleyes.gif1eek.gif

THERE ARE USERS HERE WHO BELIEVE THIS KIND OF POST DESERVES ANYONE'S ACTUAL ATTENTION. Let's be clear on this.

post #46 of 65
Quote:

sorry but it is.

the first beta installed ok

I'm going to take advantage of the new tagging system introduced with Mavericks and associate one with your post:

"Nitwit"

There. Done.
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
post #47 of 65

very funny.

however you should read the posts in the installer area of seed discussion group.

lots people are having serious problems with this beta.

post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

A famous surfing location reference and you give us reference to a faded collapsing empire.  You are a loon.

To be fair...not that famous.  I'd never heard of it before the Keynote.  It's not famous like Maui famous or anything.

post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you clicked the single button required for it to install. What happens? You realize you should be telling Apple this on the developer forums rather than whining about it here, right?
Except it won't install. Therefore you have never used it. Therefore you cannot POSSIBLY comment on its quality. 1oyvey.gif1rolleyes.gif1eek.gif

THERE ARE USERS HERE WHO BELIEVE THIS KIND OF POST DESERVES ANYONE'S ACTUAL ATTENTION. Let's be clear on this.

The problem is you dismissed him without getting his reasons ( and I doubt you have beta 2 anyway).

It isn't about defending Apple all the time. They're a big company now.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The problem is you dismissed him without getting his reasons ( and I doubt you have beta 2 anyway).

If he had had valid reasons, he would have posted them outright.

1oyvey.gif

post #51 of 65
Quote:

ok...I'll play...what does that mean? 

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #52 of 65
Quote:

If he had had valid reasons, he would have posted them outright.

1oyvey.gif

to be honest....you could have gotten that little pic/gif anywhere....

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #53 of 65
Most recent Beta works fine. Installed smooth as silk. Works great.

Early 2008 MBP, 15-inch, 2.4Ghz
6GB RAM
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

to be honest....you could have gotten that little pic/gif anywhere....

Of course, but if I'd posted the entire window, showing the same specs as I've posted before, there'd just be obfuscation based on specs. I wanted to avoid that.

post #55 of 65
Quote:

Of course, but if I'd posted the entire window, showing the same specs as I've posted before, there'd just be obfuscation based on specs. I wanted to avoid that.

oh...that explains....it.....

mine is here...

Did you explain the other statement:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #56 of 65
Quote:

Did you explain the other statement:

I figured not answering would give you your answer. I guess it's funnier having to point it out, eh?

post #57 of 65
Quote:

I figured not answering would give you your answer. I guess it's funnier having to point it out, eh?

no...its like everything else you post........does not make sense.....

Then you pretend it has some deeper un seen meaning when.....it was just BS....

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #58 of 65
Quote:

no...its like everything else you post........does not make sense.....

That tends to happen when you refuse to read a single word being written, yeah. It's okay, though.

post #59 of 65
Quote:

That tends to happen when you refuse to read a single word being written, yeah. It's okay, though.

see......my post has come to fruition.....

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You might just want to spend a few minutes on the net becoming familiar with the location and why it is called Mavricks and more so why it has a reputation with surfers.

Oh yeah, because good product marketing involves getting consumers to google the product name to understand why, while it sounds like a stupid name, it actually refers to a beach where a couple of famous surfers died. Honestly, if they wanted to allude to surfing, Santa Cruz, Pipeline, Bondi, Cloud 9 and others all could have been used for immediate recognition and without any Tom Selleck, Mel Gibson or Dirk Nowitzki connotations.

post #61 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

To be fair...not that famous.  I'd never heard of it before the Keynote.  It's not famous like Maui famous or anything.

I am a non-surfer from Australia and even I have heard of Mavericks.

I am glad the new names are surf beaches. I wasn't aware of the 'big wave' paradigm so I was a bit concerned the next release would be Billy the Kid or some other gunslinger. :-)
post #62 of 65
Quote:

The only thing I want to know about this next OS is … 

… have they changed the f*cking name from "MAVERICKS" yet?   1rolleyes.gif 1rolleyes.gif 1rolleyes.gif 1rolleyes.gif 1rolleyes.gif

I can't get over how hung up you are over this.  1oyvey.gif   You have brought it up on every related forum, thank goodness you don't have an aversion to the word Apple.

post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I do not know a single software that got better because there was a public beta. Windows 8? Millions of testers and a complete failure.

You are right that Apple did a "public beta" of Kodiak, but it was $30 and a way to work around the fact that there was no OS X developer program at that point.

There was a developer program back then - ADC predates Mac OS X, and developers got DP1-4 before the Public Beta was released.

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #64 of 65

If you don't  like the American references, why don't you go install a better non-american OS then?  1smile.gif

post #65 of 65
Quote:

This is what's wrong with the name though.  The blanket assumption that this is a "good" image that everyone will "naturally" like.  I don't give a shite about California, surfing, or anything close to either.  

The only thing worse would be to name the OS's after American football leagues or put a giant f*cking American flag on the box with crossed six-guns or something.  

What it comes down to is really this:  

In almost every culture on earth, it's considered offensive to crow about yourself.  To say "Look at me, I'm the best!"  
Only in the USA is this considered a decent or good thing.  

That's why Mavericks is a bad name.  Because all it is to everyone else is that oh, so familiar American conceit rising to the surface.  In this case it's being thrown in our faces and will continue to be so for TEN YEARS.  We will now have to suffer each release of OS X, because each release will have some moniker that promotes the USA as the "greatest place on earth," "conquerer of the world" etc.  

If it were still the 1950's and thus true that "America leads the world" that would be one thing.  But it isn't.  
This is just the faded, collapsing empire trying to pretend that they are better than everyone else when they are not. 
This is the kind of off the rocker comment that amuses me to no end.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds second OS X Mavericks Developer Preview [u]