or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › German court to reportedly rule Samsung exploited 'image' of Apple's iPhone and iPod

German court to reportedly rule Samsung exploited 'image' of Apple's iPhone and iPod - Page 2

post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's a good question, one without a clear cut answer. The SGS 2 usually shown in pics was not available in the USA, and was one of the first Android devices to be sold worldwide and even then it didn't sell that well because we all saw the pitiful sales numbers. It wasn't until the SGS 3 in which Samsung went away from the look and feel of the iPhone (I'm not discounting the utility patents) that they really took off in sales which at that time a great many of the early Android adoptees were due for a upgrade and most chose the SGS 3.

I remember a friend who had a Galaxy that looked almost exactly like a 3GS, even with that "static row of icons", to reference KD. He even bought it because it was "pretty much like an iPhone, but available on T-Mobile".

In my opinion, Samsung initially gained separation from Moto and HTC and gained some name recognition from selling "pretty much like an iPhone" phones, complete with similar packaging and cables.

Once they gained traction (around the time of the Galaxy S I'd say), they then were able to capitalize and become a little more unique with the Galaxy S III.

I know Samsung has been big in phones for a long while, but I never remember them being a top dog in the premium phone market pre-Galaxy. Even with Android, I struggle to remember a successful Samsung Android phone before the Galaxy monicker. Pre-Galaxy, most people were touting the HTC Incredible and DROID.

So I'd argue that the Galaxy put them on the map in a big way, and the Galaxy was a 3GS lookalike. This have Samsung traction, and helped facilitate their rapid growth (which did come after they went more unique/large screens).

If Samsung is anything, they are smart. There's a reason they made sure even the small details were reminiscent (kind word) of Apple. They didn't do this just for kicks.
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I remember a friend who had a Galaxy that looked almost exactly like a 3GS, even with that "static row of icons", to reference KD. He even bought it because it was "pretty much like an iPhone, but available on T-Mobile".

Did his come with the Avatar movie included?   If so, it was the T-Mobile Galaxy S version, the Vibrant. (I had the Verizon version in my lab for testing.) 

It had a 4" OLED screen and really didn't have the same body shape as the 3GS at all.  No curved smooth back.  The front was different, too, with multiple touch buttons.

Quote:
In my opinion, Samsung initially gained separation from Moto and HTC and gained some name recognition from selling "pretty much like an iPhone" phones, complete with similar packaging and cables.

The cables were quite different from what Apple used.  Samsung used micro USB with all their phones.  

I think between the shape and the cables, your memory could be off a bit.

Quote:
I know Samsung has been big in phones for a long while, but I never remember them being a top dog in the premium phone market pre-Galaxy. Even with Android, I struggle to remember a successful Samsung Android phone before the Galaxy monicker. Pre-Galaxy, most people were touting the HTC Incredible and DROID.

I had a Samsung i730 smartphone during 2006.  It was top of the line WinMo with stereo surround sound and a CPU that you could overclock to 700+ MHz.  After that I got a Samsung i760.  

But yeah, then I switched to HTC and eventually ended up with an Incredible, which I liked a lot.  Personally, I never thought much of Samsung's Android phones until the Galaxy S3 and Nexus came out.  It was the big screens in a slim body that finally attracted me.

post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Did his come with the Avatar movie included?   If so, it was the T-Mobile Galaxy S version, the Vibrant. (I had the Verizon version in my lab for testing.) 

It had a 4" OLED screen and really didn't have the same body shape as the 3GS at all.  No curved smooth back.  The front was different, too, with multiple touch buttons.

The cables were quite different from what Apple used.  Samsung used micro USB with all their phones.  

I think between the shape and the cables, your memory could be off a bit.

It either came with Avatar or Star Trek or something, you you're probably right.

In person, it looked VERY similar to my 3GS, just bigger. We even joked that it was super similar.

I had a Samsung phone (feature phone) back in 2005ish. I know they had a lot of phones, but there wasn't the name recognition. When I was shopping, they seemed to be the cheaper option.

I guess the BlackJack was pretty popular, but I knew it by its name, not that it was a Samsung phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › German court to reportedly rule Samsung exploited 'image' of Apple's iPhone and iPod