or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › IDC: Apple's iPhone sheds European marketshare in Q1, pushed out of top 5 in India
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IDC: Apple's iPhone sheds European marketshare in Q1, pushed out of top 5 in India - Page 2

post #41 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I still think you're a shill, but I agree that the popular screen size has gone beyond what Apple wants to do without fragmentation.

Honestly if dollars are voting, (and not sane people), they'll increase the screen size.  Sadly in the fast moving world of cell phones, next year may be too late.

They do have a history of surprising.  

Normally in the U.S. the fashion moves from the West coast to the East coast.  This would be a surprising reversal.

And I don't think you know what the term or word "shill" means and stands for!

It's obvious that poksi is stating what HE sees the state of the market is in EUROPE! The title of this thread BTW.... so NO!... as it pertains to this thread, we could give a Fancy-Flyin'-F*** what you "think" the fashion trends are in the US (you're wrong actually because it generalizes across industries).

Jackass! 1oyvey.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #42 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

 

Have you used Autolayout much? My experience is that it's of limited use in iOS 6. It's incredibly CPU intensive.

 

Depends heavily on number of constraints and their connection between. Unfortunately, there is no way to speed this up, since you cannot calculate sizes at compile time assuming interfaces will be static.

 

prior to Autolayouts I used my own layout code in form of easy macros. Very similar to NSLayoutConstraint, but less powerful and simpler. I changed now almost everything to Autolayouts. I sense Apple has some other plans with it as well...

post #43 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

IDC estimates....yawn.  Is there anyway to validate if IDC's estimates are accurate?

 

Depends on whether or not you believe what Apple says, since Apple itself quoted IDC extensively in their last earnings call:

 

Quote:

Take the smartphone market for example, IDC estimates that this market will double between 2012 and 2016 to an incredible 1.4 billion units annually, and Gartner estimates that the tablet market is growing at an even faster rate from 125 million units in 2012 to a projected 375 million by 2016.

...

 

And in Japan, IDC Japan announced that iPhone gained the number one position for all of calendar year 2012 as well as for calendar Q4 2012 in both handsets and smartphones.

...

Around the world, based on its latest published estimates, IDC ranked iPhone number one or two in smartphone sales in over half the countries IDC tracks.

...

Turning to Mac, we sold just under 4 million Macs, which is a 2% decline from the year-ago quarter. IDC estimates that the global personal computer market contracted by 14% during the March quarter.

Peter Oppenheimer Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

 

Quote:

First let me start with the tablet side, the numbers that we’ve seen from IDC would indicate that they believe the market in March declined by 30% from December, December being obviously seasonally high quarter with a holiday. As you can see from our numbers, we declined 15%. 

...

I think the reason that we were down last quarter, we were down 2% as you had mentioned. The market for PCs are incredibly weak.  IDC said that the market for the March quarter was down 14% year-on-year, which is the largest decline that I remember from being in this industry for a long time.

 

Tim Cook Chief Executive Officer

 

They also quoted Gartner, comScore, and Kantar, where things were positive.

 

As the for numbers, I wouldn't trust anyone's future estimates past a few months.  However, current and past estimates are usually pretty good, since they're able to do more checks on them, using information released by the companies.

 

The upshot is, people tend to agree with estimates they like, and disagree with those they don't.  So it goes.


Edited by KDarling - 6/26/13 at 4:55am
post #44 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Well, when I was 8, I learned Cobal.  My father thought it was fun because I had to keep running to the computer with a punch card.  Lots of fond, extremely vague memories.

When I was nine I learned Pascal.  Not so much of a sentimental memory there.  Just my father teaching me.

When I was ten I learned Basic.  Honestly, still no real memories other than the programming that I remember.  I got my dad a beer a few times, which he called "drinks" back then.

When I was twelve I learned "C".  At this point they all seemed to be the same, just different wordings.  I also learned BW-Basic, and CBasic.

When I was 13 I learned Post Script and Objective C.

Between 14 and 18 dear old dad made me learn C++, Turbo Pascal and Object Pascal.  I didn't really want to be with dad at this time.  Odd when I look back...

Then I went to school, and just about everything since then has been a derivative of one of those languages.

While you speak to me as immature, that is totally possible.  I wasn't looking for a needle in a hey stack.  If you want I'll comb further.  I'm also not learned as I should be.  However when I ask a question I usually get a berating answer, or I get labeled as a troll in response to my question or opinion.

I'll not post to your genius part, that just rude.

My OPINION still stands.  It's incrementally easier to develop for Android than it is for iOS.  I'm amazed I actually have to spell this out on this site.

Also, for your information, I did not go into any computer field after school.

Eclipse does actually support Vector based graphical drawings.  Honestly, Android is actually easier to write for, but graphically it's not going to look the same.  I have no graphic skill.  Vector based is easier than pixel based.  So I could make a bare bones app that will work on Android and will be stretched along different displays.  On iOS it would just look horrible.  Honestly I've never tried to sell an app, but I have quite a few really good ideas!  1smile.gif

Just haven't gotten there and I don't have the monetary need.

So on a time-line, that makes you what? A ~50 year old Jackass! (Name-calling is so much fun! 1tongue.gif )

Actually... it very well could be easier to develop for specific devices and screen sizes of Android. But why is it that a universal App is almost impossible, and that the Android apps are "almost always" across the board, worse than those same apps on iOS? Could it be the "ease of developing"? Or rather because of a process called "watered-down and lowest common denominator?

We regulars on AI are aware of the fragmentation issue on Android, that niggling little thing that Android developers like to sweep under the rug all of the time. Whispers are heard about it on forums, but I can only dreadfully imagine the cacophony of endless moaning and cursing coming from the 1000's of basements around the world...1smoking.gif

"Hey"... your stack is on fire but your HAYSTACK needs it's dickweed...uh... needle back!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #45 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Depends on whether or not you believe whatever Apple says, since they
 themselves quoted IDC extensively in their last earnings call:





They also quoted Gartner, comScore, and Kantar.

 



As the for numbers, I wouldn't trust anyone's future estimates past a few months.  However, current and past estimates are usually pretty good.
I don't trust them even though Apple quotes them. I'm assuming Apple quotes these figures because that's all there is (no other OEM consistently provides sales/shipment figures). But I believe it was IDC (or a similar firm) that claimed Windows phone would be second in market share (behind Android) by 2014. So I don't put a lot of stock in these figures because there's no way to validate them and they can be wildly off and it does t matter as media, Wall Street etc. will continue to quote their figures whenever they come out.
post #46 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

 

- I originate from Slovenia, I can buy there music and TV shows all within negotiated IP right for the particular country or region

- I can also buy everything else from other services stores

- we pay shit load of more money for everything else as well. This is called "oil-dollar" policy from Nixon's office further...:))   S4 actually costs more than iPhone 5

- I have voice guidance in native language in my navigation app as well, but I agree, everything originate from Apple has limited localization

- Maps are problem in general, not just in Europe. However, while content and accuracy may grow in the future, solid technology foundations are laid and are superior to google's

 

I'm not downplaying your problems, I want just to point out situation is not the same from country to country. In Germany and Austria your problems hardly exists, but Apple is still loosing market share there, so the reasons are different.


I'm from Romania and I can't buy movies or TV shows from Apple, only music and apps. I can not even use two step authentication from Apple, but I can use it from Google! The iPhone 5 16Gb is 350 Euro with 2 years 51 Euro monthly contract and S4 is 240 Euro with 2 years 49 Euro monthly contract.

 

http://www.orange.ro/iphone/

 

Also, keep in mind that the average monthly income is 300-400 euro in Romania (much lower in India by the way). That's equivalent with an iPhone 5 being 2000$-3000$ in USA, right? How many americans would buy iphones at that price?


Edited by NelsonX - 6/26/13 at 5:02am
post #47 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Any chance you could post a pic of the add?  Honestly just because I'm curious.

 

Sure, once I get home I could scan it and post it here.

post #48 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


I'm afraid it still won't stem the sales of "good enough" here in Europe.
Great post poksi! More comments below.

@Vadania - no. Poksi is no shill, and I concur with his very well written post of the situation here in Europe.

I don't recognize your name here, but just FYI I'm a so-called Apple Fanboy and proud of it. So stating these facts of the market situation here does not necessarily make me happy.

For many of the reasons that poksi wrote above, such as "texting, Facebook, and WhatsApp" being the primary usage of all mobiles in Europe, buying an iPhone at any "premium" price is not going to work.... regardless of the size screen. It's why I think that an inexpensive iPhone also won't do the trick and is unnecessary. The majority of people in Europe just don't use their mobiles like people in the States do. Including amazingly enough, that they could care less about the weather and many still prefer dedicated maps devices rather than Google Maps.

For the above people that I run across and that ask me, I suggest a middle of the road Android (like who cares... in my eyes they're all crap including the so-called "premiums"... but whatever) with a cheap PAYG no-contract SIM.

By saving them money, I then talk them into an iPad Mini or iPad for the times that they don't want to see and type on their little phone (which would include an iPhone as well).

The mobile market is saturated and unprofitable in the middle and bottom end. Whereas the top end with the current iPhone and any future iPhones will be purchased by those that want and need it's extended features, and for those things like apps to really work smoothly, fast and efficiently. Business users actually. Who BTW are my clients with iPhones. All of my clients have iPhones for just those reasons. Their kids and wife: Droids. it's cheaper and not a business expense write-off.

Apple's biggest future IMHO is pushing the iPad, in both software, features, capabilities and price-points.

 

I do agree almost completely. The only thing I would add is that I believe Apple can make mid-priced phone also profitable. I may be wrong, but let Apple shows us. I still believe most of Android manufacturers haven't got a clue about what makes them profitable or not. Apple is specialist at that.

 

Anyway, thanks to understand what I was trying to say and thanks for points with arguments.

post #49 of 103
@ Vadania - read and weap... or head on over The Pond and offer them your expertise on the matter. 1wink.gif

BBC iPlayer boss: 'It will never be as easy to develop for Android as Apple'
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #50 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Any chance you could post a pic of the add?  Honestly just because I'm curious.

 

Edit: Double post.

post #51 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

IDC estimates....yawn.  Is there anyway to validate if IDC's estimates are accurate?


Yes it is! Look at the AAPL price!

post #52 of 103

In a nutshell, "Apple phones are expensive.  Expensive products don't sell as well as less expensive ones, especially in areas where people are price sensitive."

 

Subsidies allow Apple to compete in the US, but if carriers move away from subsidies in the US would the iPhone do as well selling at $550-$650 where Android phones were selling @ $400-450?  I think that is going to be the trend to watch as T-mobile is moving away from subsidies.  If because of that they can offer substantially lower rates, Android users will migrate to them.  That would leave the other carriers with a higher percentage of Apple users, and forced to keep their prices high in order to be profitable with the increasing amount of subsidies they pay.  Could be a downward spiral.

 

In other news, expensive products may not sell as well- but are often very very good.  The iPhone is a great phone regardless of market share or AAPL stock price.

post #53 of 103

Many times it's really quite simple:

 

Those who can afford an iPhone, buy an iPhone.

Those who can't, buy an Android phone.

 

This is why Apple has most of the profits, and this is why they couldn't care less about market share.

 

 

Funny, those brain-dead analysts never complain about Moët & Chandon having lower market share in beverages than Anheuser-Busch...

 

Yeah, I think Moët should come up with some real cheap champagne in cans so they can sell more cans than Budweiser 1wink.gif

post #54 of 103

As an industrial admin I would just like to comment that the problems of deploying cross platform to iOS and Android cannot be underestimated.

 

Especially now that carriers are stepping in to further fragment the market from the current 30 or so variants increasing to a about 72 versions of Android we have to attempt to deal with and provide support to

 

We do not dictate what our contractors use but I have observed more or less a standard flow based on 2 years experience now

 

At first the contractors gravitate to the lowest cost devices, as you would expect, but then once they get a couple of weeks sharing information between each other a 50% return the Androids and replace with the more expensive iDevices due to usability issues with what is essentially the same application

 

Pretty telling really even tho the software developers prefer to develop for Android since they can put lower level people on those versions.

 

Size is not an issue, of all devices we are 75% phones (68% iPhones) 25% Tablets (80% iPad)

 

Main issues sited behind the changes are Battery Life and Hardware Robustness

post #55 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

What's a "concern troll"?

The ones that go on and on about how Apple needs to make the iPhone bigger and/or a cheaper version.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

I do agree almost completely. The only thing I would add is that I believe Apple can make mid-priced phone also profitable. I may be wrong, but let Apple shows us. I still believe most of Android manufacturers haven't got a clue about what makes them profitable or not. Apple is specialist at that.

Anyway, thanks to understand what I was trying to say and thanks for points with arguments.

First: you're welcome 1biggrin.gif

As to a mid-priced iPhone: yes... Apple "could". Anything from Apple will be profitable according to their product pricing. But would it be a "profitable" vs. the brand dilution and strengthen the eco-system i.e. App Store? I don't think so.

My experiences with Android users both young and old, are;

a) that they don't trust (for their kids!) or want an App Store... and many don't even have credit cards;
b) the younger ones are content sharing apps, pictures, movies and music by "SD card swapping" with their friends, and without an expensive dataplan (most are on 500mb/mo.);
c) and something that actually is a small advantage for Droids: the ability to swap batteries thru-out the day... again kids in particular (a couple in the back-pack), because business people are more often than not closer to a charger at their desk or in their cars;
d) it's "good enough" for their uses. This is the same argument for Windows vs. Mac. Again, I sell Macs of all kinds to my clients... but they are almost always fully loaded, just like their BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes (business expense). Their families get the middle-of-the-road HP's, Asus, and sometimes even... the bargain-basement do-everything grocery market Deal-of-the-Week.

Hardly any company is making money on PC's... just like mobile phones, except for Apple and of late Samsung.

For Apple specifically to get involved in that mid-to-bottom tier in computers or mobile, after so much success on the top end... would in itself be shocking. Apple has been at it's best "focusing" thru-out it's history. Samsung is profitable by flooding the market and overwhelming their competitors.

For the above reason, I don't really see Samsung as an Apple competitor at all. Actually, Samsung should be ignored just as Apple ignored Dell and Microsoft... and just do their thing: make insanely great products. Those that value that proposition will come, just as they always have. Apple w/o counting the iPad, is still somewhere around 10-12% of the PC market. I thoroughly expect at some time near, that will be about the percentage of iPhones vs. Android "The New Feature Phone" market. Apple has steadfastly refused to reverse the PC-percentage by offering "cheap".... why should they with phones?

One segment is owned by Apple and MUST be protected and advanced beyond reproach: iPad. No other company has it or comes close to it, in both consumer's mindset, nor surprisingly (especially for Microsoft)... in business adoption and usage. That strength and brand loyalty won't last forever, but as it stands... they have such a head start that it would really be shameful for them to lose it by concentrating their efforts on a phone market segment that doesn't value them, their eco-system, or what they stand for.

As always... just sayin'.....1wink.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post




No, with "that," the nay sayers who've been poo poo'ing the iPhone Light rumors have their justification to shut up.

No because Apple doesn't play the Market Share game. Whats the profit share? In addition, iPhone sales aren't decreasing, the market is expanding quicker. Oh and if you mean "light" as in between $300 and $400 off contract , then I can see that happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Depends on whether or not you believe what Apple says, since Apple itself
 quoted IDC extensively in their last earnings call:

They also quoted Gartner, comScore, and Kantar, where things were positive.
But Apple also releases actual numbers unlike the majority of its competitors.
post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The ones that go on and on about how Apple needs to make the iPhone bigger and/or a cheaper version.

The ones who go on about lower priced iPhones ( which are inevitable as are bigger phones - the clues are in iOS 7) are "trolls".

 

I want accusations of trolling against people who disagree others infractable on this site. In fact you guys are probably disagreeing with Apple at the moment.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #59 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't trust them even though Apple quotes them.

 

Fair enough... heck, I'm all for questioning figures... but did you question their figures when they were positive for Apple in India?  Or when Apple used them in their earnings call?  Why wait until they're negative.

 

(Although I wouldn't really call this news negative.  It's just that in India, less expensive and/or native country designed, phones sell better.  It's not expected to be a good market for the current iPhone.)

 

Quote:
 I'm assuming Apple quotes these figures because that's all there is (no other OEM consistently provides sales/shipment figures). 

 

The reason why so many quote IDC (and why it stays in business) is because they've proven to be a valuable source.  Especially their figures for past sales, since they've had time to correlate them with later corporate earnings reports, store surveys and actual shipment counts from import warehouses and customs offices.

 

In any case, if Apple uses them, then they're fair game for use in discussions.

 

Quote:
But I believe it was IDC (or a similar firm) that claimed Windows phone would be second in market share (behind Android) by 2014.

 

Yep, as I said, I agree that anyone's forecasts past a few months are often junk.  Too much can happen.


Edited by KDarling - 6/26/13 at 7:02am
post #60 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


No because Apple doesn't play the Market Share game. Whats the profit share? In addition, iPhone sales aren't decreasing, the market is expanding quicker. Oh and if you mean "light" as in between $300 and $400 off contract , then I can see that happening.
But Apple also releases actual numbers unlike the majority of its competitors.

 

Apple doesn't ever say anything about profit share, and as KDarling showed they talk about market share ( using IDCs numbers) when they are favorable. 

They never claim to care about margins either, as it happens.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #61 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The ones who go on about lower priced iPhones ( which are inevitable as are bigger phones - the clues are in iOS 7) are "trolls".

I want accusations of trolling against people who disagree others infractable on this site. In fact you guys are probably disagreeing with Apple at the moment.

I think you misinterpreted. The ones that say Apple is doomed unless it releases a $200 5" iPhone are "concern trolls."
post #62 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple doesn't every say anything about profit share, and as a previous poster showed they talk about market share ( using IDCs numbers) when they are favorable. 
They never claim to care about margins either, as it happens.

You're right, Apple doesn't claim anything about profit share. But what pays the bills: Market share or profit? Would you rather have 75% of the MS with 25% PS or 25% MS with 75% PS?
post #63 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think you misinterpreted. The ones that say Apple is doomed unless it releases a $200 5" iPhone are "concern trolls."

Exactly. I didn't think my post was confusing.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #64 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


You're right, Apple doesn't claim anything about profit share. But what pays the bills: Market share or profit? Would you rather have 75% of the MS with 25% PS or 25% MS with 75% PS?

Profit isn't profit share. And Apple has plenty of money in the bank for now, to allow a margin hit ( in fact the strategy of buying stock is to hold prices up as margins fall, or - since the market has priced this in - the anticipation of margin falls - indicates they are willing to use the nest egg to do this).

 

And 1) profit share is falling. DED at the weekend quoted the 2012 Q1 share of 70%, it was 58% last Q. 2) When a market is commoditized and you have saturated the (declining) top percentage of that market,  the only way to increase both market share and profit share is to attack the middle and low ends. This doesn't mean you can't produce a premium product at those ends, but you need to be there.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #65 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Exactly. I didn't think my post was confusing.

 

 

Where in this thread are they?

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #66 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguther View Post

Many times it's really quite simple:

Those who can afford an iPhone, buy an iPhone.
Those who can't, buy an Android phone.

This is why Apple has most of the profits, and this is why they couldn't care less about market share.


Funny, those brain-dead analysts never complain about Moët & Chandon having lower market share in beverages than Anheuser-Busch...

Yeah, I think Moët should come up with some real cheap champagne in cans so they can sell more cans than Budweiser 1wink.gif


Finally someone who gets it!
post #67 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post


I'm from Romania and I can't buy movies or TV shows from Apple, only music and apps. I can not even use two step authentication from Apple, but I can use it from Google! The iPhone 5 16Gb is 350 Euro with 2 years 51 Euro monthly contract and S4 is 240 Euro with 2 years 49 Euro monthly contract.

 

http://www.orange.ro/iphone/

 

Also, keep in mind that the average monthly income is 300-400 euro in Romania (much lower in India by the way). That's equivalent with an iPhone 5 being 2000$-3000$ in USA, right? How many americans would buy iphones at that price?

 

Apple is known to treat badly small markets. It is not only with iPhones, it's also with Macs. Sadly, but true.

post #68 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


First: you're welcome 1biggrin.gif

As to a mid-priced iPhone: yes... Apple "could". Anything from Apple will be profitable according to their product pricing. But would it be a "profitable" vs. the brand dilution and strengthen the eco-system i.e. App Store? I don't think so.

My experiences with Android users both young and old, are;

a) that they don't trust (for their kids!) or want an App Store... and many don't even have credit cards;
b) the younger ones are content sharing apps, pictures, movies and music by "SD card swapping" with their friends, and without an expensive dataplan (most are on 500mb/mo.);
c) and something that actually is a small advantage for Droids: the ability to swap batteries thru-out the day... again kids in particular (a couple in the back-pack), because business people are more often than not closer to a charger at their desk or in their cars;
d) it's "good enough" for their uses. This is the same argument for Windows vs. Mac. Again, I sell Macs of all kinds to my clients... but they are almost always fully loaded, just like their BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes (business expense). Their families get the middle-of-the-road HP's, Asus, and sometimes even... the bargain-basement do-everything grocery market Deal-of-the-Week.

Hardly any company is making money on PC's... just like mobile phones, except for Apple and of late Samsung.

For Apple specifically to get involved in that mid-to-bottom tier in computers or mobile, after so much success on the top end... would in itself be shocking. Apple has been at it's best "focusing" thru-out it's history. Samsung is profitable by flooding the market and overwhelming their competitors.

For the above reason, I don't really see Samsung as an Apple competitor at all. Actually, Samsung should be ignored just as Apple ignored Dell and Microsoft... and just do their thing: make insanely great products. Those that value that proposition will come, just as they always have. Apple w/o counting the iPad, is still somewhere around 10-12% of the PC market. I thoroughly expect at some time near, that will be about the percentage of iPhones vs. Android "The New Feature Phone" market. Apple has steadfastly refused to reverse the PC-percentage by offering "cheap".... why should they with phones?

One segment is owned by Apple and MUST be protected and advanced beyond reproach: iPad. No other company has it or comes close to it, in both consumer's mindset, nor surprisingly (especially for Microsoft)... in business adoption and usage. That strength and brand loyalty won't last forever, but as it stands... they have such a head start that it would really be shameful for them to lose it by concentrating their efforts on a phone market segment that doesn't value them, their eco-system, or what they stand for.

As always... just sayin'.....1wink.gif

 

a) true

b) true, but this might change to new commodity of usage.

c) true, but very funny. For adult this would be alone the reason to own iPhone, but kids will be kids...

d) true as well

 

You may have the point here, but let me ask you: if you would have 4.6" iPhone with 9:16 ratio, would you prefer it over iPhone 5? I know I would for practical reasons. 

 

But you might be right about not winning many new users over with it....

post #69 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

 

 

Where in this thread are they?

 

There aren't any as far as I can see. THere are some of us who think Apple should have other or different products and we don't think Apple is doomed in any case. However, not sharing exactly same faith as fanatic preachers on this site, then for them you are concern troll, too. As simple as that.

post #70 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

In fact you guys are probably disagreeing with Apple at the moment.

 

Bull's Eye! 1biggrin.gif  

 

Whatever will happen Apple will release new product lines. 

post #71 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

There aren't any as far as I can see. THere are some of us who think Apple should have other or different products and we don't think Apple is doomed in any case. However, not sharing exactly same faith as fanatic preachers on this site, then for them you are concern troll, too. As simple as that.

 

With the amount of cash Apple has I dont think the company will ever be "doomed" in a sense it will go bankrupt.  But the way the company is manage, it could quickly move to a niche market and have its shares continu to freefall has EPS continu to tank.

 

Apple is no longer leading the high end market in smartphone, and its missing all other segments because its completly disconnect to market changes. Apple is on his way to kill its strongest asset: the ecosystem. The solution are obvious for growth...

 

Apple needs to address all market segments for the sake of the ecosystem, they did it with the ipod, why cant they do it with smartphone and tablets?

 

Apple needs to take back the control of the high end market. IGZO screens, multiple screen sizes, mobile payments, ... They way they try to force feed one size fits all is pissing me off to the bone.

 

Apple needs to spread the ecosystem to new markets. Grats for the move in the car business. Grats on iRadio. But WTF are they waiting for to enter the TV, gaming, wearable devices, home appliances (third party hardware than talks to the ecosystem), ... markets.  And there cloud services could be improve a lot.

 

Some markets should have been enter YEARS ago, Apple is SO late its going to offer "me to" products now. The only way they can get away with it now is to truely innovate in those markets.

 

If the only things in the pipeline are the iphone 5s, a retina mini and a thinner ipad, I am afraid things are going to get pretty ugly.


Edited by herbapou - 6/26/13 at 8:24am
post #72 of 103
"Cobal"?

 

My take is when you can't spell it, you didn't code it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBOL

 

Which makes anything following that sort of error much less interesting.


Edited by jfc1138 - 6/26/13 at 8:23am
post #73 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post


Finally someone who gets it!

 

lol, tech is not cars and its not food.  In tech, someone can sell a better product then you for half the price in an heartbeat.

post #74 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post




Where in this thread are they?

It's early yet.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #75 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

lol, tech is not cars and its not food.  In tech, someone can sell a better product then you for half the price in an heartbeat.

Could be argued in cars too.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #76 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

 

My take is when you can't spell it, you didn't code it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBOL

 

Which makes anything following that sort of error much less interesting.

 

The mainframe is moving into a data server role, with most of the interface being done with webapps now. Cobol is here to stay for the forseeable future, which is good for me since i am on the mainframe. Problem is we have no young people interested, so most of the mainframe staff now is getting "internationnal". In meeting we have the feeling we are at the United Nations.

post #77 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Year 2013 will be lost year for Apple...

I think Apple brass is just not prepared or know how to be a mainstream company.

 

They did pick a terrible time to go comatose. The coasting began in 2012, in 2013 they are missing in action. Two years between significant updates to their one phone product, only minor bumps to other existing products and the same old promises of new stuff just over the ever retreating horizon. The new Mac pro looks interesting if they ever finish it and actually deliver.

 

The only action from Apple these days seems to be Cook's dealings over his share grants and the multi-billion dollar corporate palace they are building.

post #78 of 103
IDC reports what they are paid to report. They are a PR firm, not independent analysts. (Though they pretend to be objective)

Since no android makers report their sales, but Apple does, we know how many iphones are sold but not how many androids.

There's no proof android has more than %5 of the market.

It's time for AppleInsider and all non-apple-hating media to stop reporting these press releases as if they were relevant.
post #79 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

IDC reports what they are paid to report. They are a PR firm, not independent analysts. (Though they pretend to be objective)

Since no android makers report their sales, but Apple does, we know how many iphones are sold but not how many androids.

There's no proof android has more than %5 of the market.

It's time for AppleInsider and all non-apple-hating media to stop reporting these press releases as if they were relevant.

And what proof do you have that Apple has 95% of the market?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

 

They did pick a terrible time to go comatose. The coasting began in 2012, in 2013 they are missing in action. Two years between significant updates to their one phone product, only minor bumps to other existing products and the same old promises of new stuff just over the ever retreating horizon. The new Mac pro looks interesting if they ever finish it and actually deliver.

 

The only action from Apple these days seems to be Cook's dealings over his share grants and the multi-billion dollar corporate palace they are building.

Unfair, iOS 7 is pretty good.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • IDC: Apple's iPhone sheds European marketshare in Q1, pushed out of top 5 in India
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › IDC: Apple's iPhone sheds European marketshare in Q1, pushed out of top 5 in India