or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android accounts for 92% of mobile malware, malicious apps increase 614%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android accounts for 92% of mobile malware, malicious apps increase 614%

post #1 of 81
Thread Starter 
A new study on smartphone malware has found that 92 percent of nefarious mobile software is targeted at Google's Android platform, and the amount of attacks are growing.

Malware


The latest data released on Wednesday by Juniper Networks reveals that Android malware has grown at a "staggering rate" over the last three years. In 2010, it accounted for just 24 percent of all mobile malware, while as of this March the platform accounts for nearly all of it.

In the last year alone, the total number of malicious apps has grown 614 percent to 276,259. The annual Mobile Threats support also identified more than 500 third-party Android application stores worldwide that are known to host mobile malware.

Of the malicious apps tracked by Juniper, three out of five emanated from either China or Russia.Most Android malware could be avoided if users were running the latest operating system, but Juniper's data says only 4 percent of users are.

Almost three-fourths of mobile malware turn a profit by tricking users into sending text messages to premium-rate numbers owned by attackers. Juniper estimates that each successful smartphone attack can net about $10 in immediate profit.

Juniper also estimates that 77 percent of current Android threats could be eliminated if users were running the latest version of the platform. However, currently only 4 percent of Android devices are running the latest operating system.

"With mobile malware on the rise and attackers becoming increasingly clever, we need better protection for mobile users and corporations," said Michael Callahan, vice president of global product marketing at Juniper Networks. "While on one hand the OEMs, carriers and software vendors must collaborate to develop platforms that mitigate large threats, enterprises and government organizations need to take a comprehensive look at protecting their data and networks by adopting a holistic approach to mobile security."

Apple has frequently highlighted the security of its iOS platform and contrasted it with the presence of malware on Google's competing Android mobile operating system. During his company's most recent quarterly earnings report, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer cited a study by McAfee Labs that found 97 percent of mobile malware was on the Android platform, while the remainder was primarily on Nokia Symbian and Java ME.

Juniper's latest figures correlate with separate data released in May by F-Secure Labs, which also found that mobile malware is rapidly growing ??but only for Android. Their figures found that Android accounted for 136 of 149 known threats, or 91.3 percent of all malware activity.
post #2 of 81

Wow. What a surprise. lol.gif

post #3 of 81

It does not matter- GOOG goes up AAPL goes down. AAPL has got some serious malware lol
 

post #4 of 81

Apple should be shouting this data from the rooftops. It's time for an Apple vs Android commercial with the Android device sputtering with malware.

post #5 of 81

This is what happens with an open environment. Enjoy Android users!

post #6 of 81
Sounds like Windows all over again
post #7 of 81
I so agree that Apple should be shouting this data from the rooftops and the top of skyscrapers. Imagine if it were the other way around, the media, and the Android Community would be destroying Apple. Not only are these facts important in the enterprise, they are equally important in general distribution to consumers, who are less inclined to practice safe browsing than good corporate citizens.
post #8 of 81

I want to know what the heck people are downloading, I have never gotten a virus or malware on any of my OS's since that blasted Michelangelo virus back in '91. It must be the pirated games, I don't know but there is no excuse for this, there are many free effective malware protectors for Android and iOS.irked.gif

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #9 of 81

"If you get malware on your Android device it's your own fault for being so stupid." - typical Android user

 

"If your kids make in App purchases on your device it's Apple's fault." - typical Android user

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Sounds like Windows all over again

Except that this time, the Apple platform is far more than 5% of the installed base.  For decades it has been insisted that the reason MacOS users were not experiencing viruses and malware was that the market share was too small to justify targeting by the crooks.  Well now that argument doesn't hold water, and still the Apple users are suffering less than the competitors.  Yet apparently spending far more on legitimate purchases. 

post #11 of 81
What you don't get is that the information is out there, from Apple and others, but the media are not pushing it to the top because it is not news. Yet, if it were anti-Apple, it would be news and blasted across the top of the news.
post #12 of 81
This is one huge problem with running old OS software: as new exploits are discovered the systems become sitting ducks because patches are not available.

With so many Android systems that haven't been updated in years, it will become exponentially worse as malware developers realize what a rich target and profitable base this represents.

The best part is that there is no way to fix this. The phone operators who control the updates make more money by selling new hardware - further fragmenting the market - and have no fiscal motivation to keep old hardware running properly.

It's an intractable mess of a problem with no clear way out.
post #13 of 81

Stupidity accounts for 100% of malware installs.

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #14 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Stupidity accounts for 100% of malware installs.

-kpluck

I thought iOS was for stupid people who need to use a toy OS? /s
post #15 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

"If you get malware on your Android device it's your own fault for being so stupid." - typical Android user

 

"If your kids make in App purchases on your device it's Apple's fault." - typical Android user

You really don't know do you.  You can get it directly from the Google official store.  The stupid part is not knowing that any of their apps could be compromised and its up to outside sources to find out which doesn't help those who bought it in the months before it was determined if ever. http://www.google-play.net/29-malware-apps-identified-by-symantec-and-removed-google-play/340/

post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Apple should be shouting this data from the rooftops.

Nah, Apple should be shouting its own data from the rooftops. Saying "Zero" about yourself is more tactful than screaming "thousands" about competitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Well now that argument doesn't hold water...

Never did. We just have proof now. 1tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Stupidity accounts for 100% of malware installs.

 

-kpluck

Right I guess because only someone who is stupid would use Android even with just the Google Play store. http://www.google-play.net/29-malware-apps-identified-by-symantec-and-removed-google-play/340/

post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKasper View Post

This is one huge problem with running old OS software: as new exploits are discovered the systems become sitting ducks because patches are not available.

With so many Android systems that haven't been updated in years, it will become exponentially worse as malware developers realize what a rich target and profitable base this represents.

The best part is that there is no way to fix this. The phone operators who control the updates make more money by selling new hardware - further fragmenting the market - and have no fiscal motivation to keep old hardware running properly.

It's an intractable mess of a problem with no clear way out.

Another problem is that they are still selling cheap phones that use the older OS.

post #19 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I want to know what the heck people are downloading, I have never gotten a virus or malware on any of my OS's since that blasted Michelangelo virus back in '91. It must be the pirated games, I don't know but there is no excuse for this, there are many free effective malware protectors for Android and iOS.irked.gif

Heh heh heh... it's those damn "free" malware protectors that ARE the malware...

 

Imagine what the Android malware problem would look like if Android users browsed the web as much as Apple users.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #20 of 81

I found inexcusable from Google and Microsoft let go the security of their platform into third party hands.  They both have no excuses to not got a "whack-a-mole" solution like the Apple's XProtect.

 

I understand developers complain about the iOS walled garden, but from a users standing point I see very little value for an open and uncontrolled platform. 

post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Apple should be shouting this data from the rooftops. It's time for an Apple vs Android commercial with the Android device sputtering with malware.

I agree. This information would make for a great Apple commercial. 

post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKasper View Post

This is one huge problem with running old OS software: as new exploits are discovered the systems become sitting ducks because patches are not available.

With so many Android systems that haven't been updated in years, it will become exponentially worse as malware developers realize what a rich target and profitable base this represents.

You mean "with so many Android systems that CAN'T be updated".
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Sounds like Windows all over again

 

When asked way he robs banks, Pretty Boy Floyd replied, "That's where the money is...

 

And exploiters go where the OS holes are...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #24 of 81
That's easy to fix. In the next update of Android, just ask users to give permission to an app that tries to send a text message.

Oh wait! Most phones never get an Android update. Guess you are screwed then.
post #25 of 81

These malware reports don't take into account a lot of things. First of all google has implemented multiple safeguards on android. One of them on the playstore is called bouncer which is a program able to detect malicious software. The second part is the steps that is required to install an app from an unknown source. Seriously it is a lot of stuff you have to do.

 

1. Download the app

 

 

 

2. Select the app which will direct you to the settings

 

 

3. Enable unknown source from the settings where you get another warning

 

4. last install the app. Where the app will tell you what permissions you are accepting on the phone.

 

 

post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

 

I understand developers complain about the iOS walled garden, but from a users standing point I see very little value for an open and uncontrolled platform. 

There are tradeoffs made between iOS and Android, however the consensus on this forum seems to be that malware on android is a HUGE problem.  The truth is that a small number of android devices have malware, and most of them got it from third party stores.  A story saying that malware on android increased by X% isn't really news unless you know what the base number is.  If ONE virus came out that attacked unjailbroken iOS devices, the percentage increase in malware would likely be infinite... Even if only a single phone got infected.

 

As for why someone would want an open and uncontrolled platform... I do.   I'm moving away from iOS because I'm sick of Apple's "our way or the highway" attitude. I don't have unlimited faith in apple, and I think that apple's primary reason for doing anything is to make more money for themselves.  I also don't appreciate the sentiment heard around here that Apple deserves money for every application that runs on iOS.  That iOS is the reason people are buying a device, and that all further purchases need to go through apple.   My phone is MY device, I should have the right to do what I want with it.   I should be able to rent a movie from an amazon application if I want to, and there should be no reason apple would get a percentage of the profits for my doing this.  A controlled platform can work okay when conflict of interests don't exist, but apple clearly has those.  They want to monetize my device forever, and want to lock me in to their hardware.  With Android, I can change to another manufacturer at a later date and use their hardware with my existing software.  Sure, I'd have to continue to use android, but honestly, after switching from iOS to android, the differences are relatively minor.   Unless you're a zealot about it, you can't really say one interface sucks and the other is far superior.  They do things slightly differently, and they both borrow from each other.  As far as ease of use goes, it's a tough call.  As long as the play store is preinstalled on the android phone, they're pretty equal.

 

Phil

post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Stupidity accounts for 100% of malware installs.

 

-kpluck

 

I agree, anyone installing the malware named Android would fall into that category.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Except that this time, the Apple platform is far more than 5% of the installed base.  For decades it has been insisted that the reason MacOS users were not experiencing viruses and malware was that the market share was too small to justify targeting by the crooks.  Well now that argument doesn't hold water, and still the Apple users are suffering less than the competitors.  Yet apparently spending far more on legitimate purchases. 

 

I think the 5% installed base is a straw man argue.  DOS and Boot records virus plagues Microsoft platforms way before Windows takes over the MacOS platform.  Microsoft made their platform an easy target by multiplying uncontrolled runtimes environment, ever since Windows 95 most virus uses Microsoft alternate runtimes API like ActiveX and VBS Macros to spread across Microsoft softwares like Office and IE.  

 

Right now you can't browse the web on a PC without being bombarded with fake download accelerator and search toolbar, even legit software like Java or flash comes with crapwares, how comes Microsoft has allowed custom toolbar in IE at the first place is beyond my understanding.


Edited by BigMac2 - 6/26/13 at 11:00am
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I agree. This information would make for a great Apple commercial. 

 

Starring Siri

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #30 of 81

How terrible to be living in a walled garden. Sounds like we're missing out on all the fun.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #31 of 81
Oh, well, there goes another $50 off the AAPL stock price!!

Android is dominating the malware market -- Apple is dooooomed! You mean the Samsung Galaxy S4 has a bigger screen and get help me get my money stolen!! I gotta trade in my iPhone and get me some of that!
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

You really don't know do you.  You can get it directly from the Google official store.  The stupid part is not knowing that any of their apps could be compromised and its up to outside sources to find out which doesn't help those who bought it in the months before it was determined if ever. http://www.google-play.net/29-malware-apps-identified-by-symantec-and-removed-google-play/340/

Yeah, to which Android fans will respond with FUD about Apple's "non-transparent" App Store, eg, "how do we know that App Store apps are truly virus-free? Are we supposed to trust Apple?" A response that in no way, shape, or form abates the problem on the Android platform.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #33 of 81

This is hilarious! 1biggrin.gif

 

News like this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. A real feel good news story. lol.gif

post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

As for why someone would want an open and uncontrolled platform... I do.   I'm moving away from iOS because I'm sick of Apple's "our way or the highway" attitude. I don't have unlimited faith in apple, and I think that apple's primary reason for doing anything is to make more money for themselves.  I also don't appreciate the sentiment heard around here that Apple deserves money for every application that runs on iOS.  That iOS is the reason people are buying a device, and that all further purchases need to go through apple.   My phone is MY device, I should have the right to do what I want with it.   I should be able to rent a movie from an amazon application if I want to, and there should be no reason apple would get a percentage of the profits for my doing this.  A controlled platform can work okay when conflict of interests don't exist, but apple clearly has those.  They want to monetize my device forever, and want to lock me in to their hardware.  With Android, I can change to another manufacturer at a later date and use their hardware with my existing software.  Sure, I'd have to continue to use android, but honestly, after switching from iOS to android, the differences are relatively minor.   Unless you're a zealot about it, you can't really say one interface sucks and the other is far superior.  They do things slightly differently, and they both borrow from each other.  As far as ease of use goes, it's a tough call.  As long as the play store is preinstalled on the android phone, they're pretty equal.

 

Phil

 

Your complains about Apple is very cliché and very reminiscent of the old Windows/MacOSX debate. Many people stuck up their mind about how much Apple control their device.  Lets analyses your complains from a users perspective:

 

1 - "I also don't appreciate the sentiment heard around here that Apple deserves money for every application that runs on iOS"

 

Time to open your virgin eyes, As users, nobody complain about Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo getting their shares of money from game publisher for their consoles, no one complain about big movie studios and Records label from getting the lion share of others creation.  And BTW Amazon, Google and Microsoft already does the same, so I fail to see this complain as an Apple issues, the only thing Apple as done differently is to make this offer publicly to everyone who wants to publish an Apps and making a few indy instant millionaires in the process. 

 

2-  "My phone is MY device, I should have the right to do what I want with it"

 

Meaning what? Apple won't stop you jailbreaking you iPhone if you want.  I don't know what you are complaining about here.

 

3- "With Android, I can change to another manufacturer at a later date and use their hardware with my existing software"

 

Android got the issues of WinTel platforme, where nobody is in control of the final product.  Who is responsible for updates and support of your phone? the carrier, manufacturer or Google?  Where I complains to if i'm stuck with a 2 years old OS on my brand new Android devices?

post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

How terrible to be living in a walled garden. Sounds like we're missing out on all the fun.

 

Pssst, wanna Apple?

 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #36 of 81
My Android friends sometimes look at some cool iOS-only app I'm using and go to find it for Android... and they "succeed," but it turns out to be malware that simply copies the name and icon of the iOS app! Then I see them scrambling to delete it.

I could not put up with that. Not missing out on the great app, and certainly not having malware that masquerades as things I really want. I wouldn't trust my device.
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

When asked way he robs banks, Pretty Boy Floyd replied, "That's where the money is...

 

No, Willie Sutton said that...and that's just an urban legend. Sutton denied it in his autobiography. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Why did I rob banks? Because I enjoyed it. I loved it. I was more alive when I was inside a bank, robbing it, than at any other time in my life. I enjoyed everything about it so much that one or two weeks later I'd be out looking for the next job. But to me the money was the chips, that's all.
post #38 of 81

And android fanboys think Android tablets should be used in airplane cockpits for flight manuals, etc... right.

post #39 of 81
Android. Finally number one. Take that! Apple. 1smoking.gif

Not so good at figgers, am I, but seems these numbers are way gangbusters over the volleyed android ratio to Apple iPhone, IEtc sales. Like to the moon, Alice.

DED must be dancing a jig today, though modestly out of the sight of all winery' eyes, the gentleman he is.

And on to the next good news of an Apple a day.
Edited by mhikl - 6/26/13 at 12:01pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #40 of 81
Doesn't matter. Didn't matter when Windows was overrun with malware, viruses, BSOD, etc. It still went on to completely dominate the desktop universe. It doesn't matter how much malware, adware, whatever-ware attacks Android. It will still go on to completely dominate the mobile universe. Bottom line? People simply don't care. They have accepted their devices being taken over as part of normal life. Ever read a post by a Windows-to-Mac convert on the Apple discussions forum? When anything goes wrong they immediately assume a virus caused it. To them it's normal to have to completely reformat and restore their machines every few months.

We Apple fans can crow all we want about how secure or free of malware the platforms are. It simply doesn't matter to people and never will. Hosed devices are the norm, part of the price of using technology.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Android accounts for 92% of mobile malware, malicious apps increase 614%
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android accounts for 92% of mobile malware, malicious apps increase 614%