or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple applauds US Supreme Court decisions on same-sex marriage

Apple applauds US Supreme Court decisions on same-sex marriage

post #1 of 161
Following a pair of landmark decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday in favor of same-sex marriages, Apple issued a statement celebrating the ruling.

?Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we consider it a civil rights issue," the company said in a statement to AllThingsD. "We applaud the Supreme Court for its decisions today."

The court voted 5-4 to throw out part of DOMA that prevented a number of federal benefits to same-sex couples. In another 5-4 decision, the high court also paved the way for gays and lesbians to marry once again in California, Apple's home state.

Earlier this year, Apple joined a coalition of U.S. corporations in support of same-sex marriage in an effort to sway the court. Other companies in the group included Facebook, Intel, and Morgan Stanley.

The companies banded together in response to California's passage of Proposition 8, a 2008 voter initiative that banned gay marriage. That same year, Apple donated $100,000 to the "No on 8" campaign.

Google

Google on Wednesday also celebrated the decision by covering its search box in rainbow colors when users search terms such as "gay," "lesbian," or "bisexual." A rainbow-colored flag has been used as part of gay rights advocacy since it originated in California in the 1970s.
post #2 of 161

Good on Apple

post #3 of 161
I guess I don't have to agree with apple on everything to buy its products
post #4 of 161
Great job Apple and also to the SCOTUS for doing their job.
post #5 of 161
This thread could go south anytime.
post #6 of 161

So just to be sure I have my facts straight, gay marriage is still not legal on the Federal level, and it's still up to the states themselves to decide if they recognize gay married couples or not, correct?

What is everyone getting so excited about, exactly, and how long does Obama think this distraction will last before another scandal blows up in his face?

Sorry, I'm waiting for the whole cake. Too old to be celebrating over crumbs.

post #7 of 161

Why is Apple commenting on this?

Apple should stay out of politics.

Is Apple going to comment on gun control also and other issues? And why not?

post #8 of 161
So much for ComiXology saying Apple is an anti-gay censor because ComiXology themselves decided not to publish a comic depicting gay sex through the Apple store. It could not possibly have anything to do with Apple's clear published policy against sexually explicit images.
post #9 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

This thread could go south anytime.

That's where they serve the Chick-fil-a.

post #10 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Tim Cook *is* the most powerful gay man in the world.  It would be bizarre if Apple didn't give their reaction to this.

post #11 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

Tim Cook *is* the most powerful gay man in the world.  It would be bizarre if Apple didn't give their reaction to this.

True.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #12 of 161
Quote:

Yeah, I know that Tim Cook is gay, but so what? I don't care what he is.

His personal preferences or personal life should not be a part of Apple's official policies, in my opinion.

post #13 of 161

Good on Apple for taking a stand on I consider a human rights issue. Cue all the Apple fans who like the idea of Thinking Different but just cannot bring themselves to actually do so.

post #14 of 161
Quote:

Whether Cook is gay or not is nothing more than tawdry gossip.  It is pretty poor form for a rag like Gawker to out him when he clearly does not want that part of his life in the public spotlight, IMO.  And other companies, including Google and Microsoft, have come out in favor of gay rights without having (supposedly) gay CEOs.  

post #15 of 161

It's relevant for a global corporation to want each country it does business in to have laws that will not negatively effect the family life of anyone they want to hire. DOMA denied federal benefits to same-sex married couples.

post #16 of 161

Really? "Human rights"?  The "right" to pay more taxes?  The "right" to... what exactly?  No where in any part of the US Constitution does it say marriage is a "right" nor should they be involved in what the definition of marriage is in the first place.

post #17 of 161
Quote:

Apple must think it's good business. Seems like good business in California. Did they not already offer equal benefits? If so, won't this level the field and be in their favor?
post #18 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

It's irrelevant. I ain't electing them to public office. I just want awesome computers.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Really? "Human rights"?  The "right" to pay more taxes?  The "right" to... what exactly?  No where in any part of the US Constitution does it say marriage is a "right" nor should they be involved in what the definition of marriage is in the first place.

The 14th Amendment guarantees "equal protection of the laws."  Look it up.  

post #20 of 161
Quote:

You know, equal rights, discrimination... that kind of stuff. I consider it a human right to be treated equally by the state and not discriminated against for reasons of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion etc. Prejudice and bigotry has no place in a civilized society. Anyway, I always expect people who subscribe to the 'think different' idea to be completely on board. I am always a little surprised when I am reminded it ain't so.

post #21 of 161
Quote:

Yeah, I know that Tim Cook is gay, but so what? I don't care what he is.

His personal preferences or personal life should not be a part of Apple's official policies, in my opinion.

Apple under Steve Jobs donated to the "No On 8" campaign so this is nothing new for Apple.

post #22 of 161
Bravo! Damned few corporations speak out on behalf of civil rights - even though they now all can pretend to be human beings.
post #23 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Well, not exactly! You are a fan, right? So, you have to do it! 1biggrin.gif

post #24 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

This is sick! Human rights my ass! Think different? WTF? Why not eat dead human flesh then? They are dead, they don't feel anything, they don't have "rights"! Right? Dead people don't have rights! So, let's eat them! Think different!!!

Are you lost? The playground is that way  >

post #25 of 161
Quote:

Yes they should comment on gun control issues. All of the other big business interests have their political opinions out there. So should Apple. The CEO is gay for crying out loud. Of course Apple was going to respond. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to patronize Apple.

post #26 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You know, equal rights, discrimination... that kind of stuff. I consider it a human right to be treated equally by the state and not discriminated against for reasons of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion etc. Prejudice and bigotry has no place in a civilized society. Anyway, I always expect people who subscribe to the 'think different' idea to be completely on board. I am always a little surprised when I am reminded it ain't so.

Nope not necessarily. Some people buy Apple because it's the fashionable thing to do.

post #27 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Yes they should comment on gun control issues. All of the other big business interests have their political opinions out there. So should Apple. The CEO is gay for crying out loud. Of course Apple was going to respond. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to patronize Apple.

I can disagree with something that Apple does and continue to use their products. What else am I going to do? Go Android? Over my dead body.lol.gif

And if Apple comments on gun control issues, then Apple should come out in support of gun ownership and not go against the US constitution and the American people.

post #28 of 161
Quote:

No where does it say anyone has a right to get married. However, it does say that people have a right to expect equal protections and treatment under the law.

post #29 of 161
Quote:

I can disagree with something that Apple does and continue to use their products. What else am I going to do? Go Android? Over my dead body.lol.gif

And if Apple comments on gun control issues, then Apple should come out in support of gun ownership and not go against the US constitution and the American people.

As the Supreme Court put it. "Corporations are people too".

post #30 of 161

My view is that the only real purpose of marriage is to bear and raise children in a stable environment with both sexes.  Therefore I am against anything other than civil unions in other cases.  That said, I think government should not even be involved in marriage, after all a marriage license is always a threesome, three parties:  the couple and government.  Marriage should be a private institution and stay out of government all together!  

It seems just about the same sex marriage pushers just want the bennies, which will just raise the prices and lower the wages for everyone ultimately.  Then anyone who are roommates will "get married", just for the benefits...  uggh.  :(

post #31 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
It seems just about the same sex marriage pushers just want the bennies, which will just raise the prices and lower the wages for everyone ultimately.  Then anyone who are roommates will "get married", just for the benefits...  uggh.  :(

Are you suggesting that marriages of convenience are a phenomenon unique to same-sex couples?

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #32 of 161
Quote:

According to the same Supreme Court, Apple is a citizen and has all the same rights as you, including free speech.

Although I disagree Apple should be treated as a person, companies like Apple should speak out on social issues. Target donated money to oppose gay marriage. Now I know not to shop at Target.

Set aside the social issue, banning same sex marriage in California negatively effected Apple. Apple is at a competitive disadvantage if its gay employees cannot share their benefits with their spouses because many states allow that. Such people may decide to work in another state instead.
post #33 of 161

This is a sad day for America. God's goodness and truth continue to be pushed to the curb. It will come back to bite us in the butt - like ignoring the "Danger no smoking or open flames" at a gas station or jumping out of a plane with the belief that gravity does not exist. Foolish and deadly.

post #34 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

My view is that the only real purpose of marriage is to bear and raise children in a stable environment with both sexes.  Therefore I am against anything other than civil unions in other cases.  That said, I think government should not even be involved in marriage, after all a marriage license is always a threesome, three parties:  the couple and government.  Marriage should be a private institution and stay out of government all together!  

It seems just about the same sex marriage pushers just want the bennies, which will just raise the prices and lower the wages for everyone ultimately.  Then anyone who are roommates will "get married", just for the benefits...  uggh.  1frown.gif

The problem with civil unions is states like California wrote the anti gay marriage legislation to disallow same sex couples to share employee benefits made available to married people. As a university of Michigan employee, same sex couples used to be able to share benefits if they were together for more than two years. An anti gay initiative did away with that.
post #35 of 161
You'd think Cook & Co. would have more important things to worry about. 1rolleyes.gif
post #36 of 161
Quote:

I'd quit Apple but then go where? Google and Microsoft are just as bad if not worse on this issue. 1oyvey.gif
post #37 of 161

In today's bizarro weird world, Apple should keep quiet!

post #38 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

... Dead people don't have rights! So, let's eat them! Think different!!!

I thoroughly disagree with your post but couldn't stop from bursting tears of laughter. Thanks for the latter.
post #39 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we consider it a civil rights issue," the company said in a statement to AllThingsD. "We applaud the Supreme Court for its decisions today."

What's next? Marriage equality for polygamists? For human-animal couples?

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #40 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

What's next? Marriage equality for polygamists? For human-animal couples?

It says more about you that you think those are the same thing or some how parallel. 1oyvey.gif
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple applauds US Supreme Court decisions on same-sex marriage