or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's iCloud and iTunes see service outages, 20% of users affected

Apple's iCloud and iTunes see service outages, 20% of users affected

post #1 of 23
Apple's servers were hit with an unknown issue on Wednesday, with the company's iCloud service seeing a brief outage before a larger problem affected some 20 percent of all iTunes customers for nearly an hour and a half.

iCloud Outages
iCloud system status for Wednesday (above) and Tuesday. | Source: Apple

While the issue has since been resolved, Apple's iTunes Store was down from 4:25 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Pacific, with the outage affecting one fifth of the service's users, according to company's System Status webpage.

Just before the iTunes complication, about 1.5 percent of iCloud users were unable to use the cloud computing service's document storage, Photo Stream, iPhoto Journals and Backup & Restore features. The iCloud downtime lasted from 12:44 p.m. to 1:33 p.m. PST.

It is unclear what caused the service interruption, and Apple has not commented on the issue.

A look at Tuesday's status report shows iCloud email service was down for 45 minutes, while "some users" of iCloud Documents, Photo Stream, iPhoto Journals and Backup & Restore saw trouble for nearly two hours during the early morning hours. During the downtime, users may not have been able to send or receive attachments in iMessage.

As the number of iCloud and iTunes users grows, Apple has consistently seen problems with its system. For example, April saw a spate of outages tied to iCloud email, GameCenter and iTunes, with Mail down for 27 hours.
post #2 of 23
Apple has never understood how to do services. Gotta leave that to Google, Amazon, and Netflix.
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple has never understood how to do services. Gotta leave that to Google, Amazon, and Netflix.

What the ****?

So Apple is the only one to do the perfect marriage between services and devices (how imessage works, for example), but because some servers have a problem (we don't know the nature of it) they don' "get it"?

But those companies that have been having problems lately, "get it"? I mean, Google and Amazon are 100% services (sellyoursoultothedevil. Inc) and they have big f*cking outages once in a while. Apple is much more than that (a services company) and only started "lately" and already have a similar/bigger sized operation.

**** off.

post #4 of 23
Delete me....double post
Edited by macxpress - 6/27/13 at 5:39am

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

What the ****?

So Apple is the only one to do the perfect marriage between services and devices (how imessage works, for example), but because some servers have a problem (we don't know the nature of it) they don' "get it"?

But those companies that have been having problems lately, "get it"? I mean, Google and Amazon are 100% services (sellyoursoultothedevil. Inc) and they have big f*cking outages once in a while. Apple is much more than that (a services company) and only started "lately" and already have a similar/bigger sized operation.

**** off.

Jesus who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?

The issue is that they go down...a lot! A hell of a lot more than Amazon and Microsoft do. Its a good service when its up and running although slow at times. They just need to make it more powerful and reliable.

post #6 of 23
Apple needs to get iCloud right. Bigger storage, welcoming of all media (incl. Office files), more reliable, and right away. It's imperative if its ecosystem advantage is to survive for the long haul.

Thus far, it's a so-so offering.
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple needs to get iCloud right. Bigger storage, welcoming of all media (incl. Office files), more reliable, and right away. It's imperative if its ecosystem advantage is to survive for the long haul.

Thus far, it's a so-so offering.

Agreed!

post #8 of 23
I used to keep an iCloud Journal for photo sharing. About 1,000 images, perhaps 20 people accessing it. There was not a week that would go by that either I or one of my friends noted it was down. I left and came back a few months ago. It was down the day I wanted to load it as well as the next day. Down again last week.

Nice idea but it takes execution to make it happen. Something that appears missing these days. But then the only way to load it is with an iPad. Perhaps a half baked idea as well.
post #9 of 23
Quote:

Oh, shut up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

A hell of a lot more than Amazon and Microsoft do.

Citation needed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #10 of 23
Quote:

Jesus who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?

The issue is that they go down...a lot! A hell of a lot more than Amazon and Microsoft do.

Don't know about Amazon, but Microsoft's record for reliability is pretty poor as well.  Google would be a better example, as that 27 hour mail outage Apple had in April is comparable to all the downtime that Gmail has in a regular year.

Doesn't iCloud leverage AWS and Azure for some/all of its services anyway?

censored

censored

post #11 of 23
Oh no! Time to tell the developers they disappointed, create a new service name, and make the new service exclusive to the next round of OS's! :P
post #12 of 23
I wish Apple (Eddie Cue) would put much more effort into sorting out these all to frequent outages. Its an embarrassment to the company and gives the impression that they don't really care about the cloud...hey users we'll provide you with an average unreliable service...now take it or leave it, we're interested in other things. They could at least comment on what they think cause these outages when they happen, especially if they're big ones like this was.
post #13 of 23

I have to laugh, Sunday morning my iPhone finally died and I needed to replace it.  I used the Apple store app to order a new phone.  The plan was to take quick shower and run to the mall to pick it up.  I get there and Apple's network was down, they couldn't register the phone.  I had to wait about 45 minutes before the system was up and running.  Last night for the first time in months I sat down with my iPad and planned to listen to a little music through iTunes match while catching up on the Walking Dead on Comixology.  The album stops about half way through.  Sometimes you just can't win...

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #14 of 23
Quote:

What a crock of horse-shit. Apple was a pioneer in many aspects of web services, and they've had impressive and innovative offerings throughout their entire history. Their success was pretty much built on it. But everytime they have any kind of hiccup or outage, people like you shriek about their web incompetence, as if the other big players never have anything of the sort. Google had some massive gmail outages not long ago, as well as outages of their other services, but noone really gives a shit when that happens or makes it out to be more than what it is. But Apple, on the other hand, they may as well throw in the towel if they don't have 100.0000000% uptime and utter perfection for every single person. Personally, I've never had an issue with iCloud or any of its myriad of services, and I'm sure hundreds of millions of others are in the same boat. So do you want them to just "abandon" their future and just "leave it to Google and Amazon"? Netflix doesn't even do a FRACTION of what Apple does with online services. The complexity of what iCloud does, and the amount of services, in which even if there is a small hiccup will be noticed, can't be compared to simply streaming video. 

Google and Microsoft services go down and have issues all the time- I know, because I use them. The only difference is that there's not the same level of shrieking and hollering when it happens, because:

1. Apple is set to higher standards (which is fine)

2. Non-Apple negative stories don't generate as much ad revenue

3. The massive contigent of apple-haters online come out of the woodwork to promote all anti-Apple stories as much as possible, even when they don't use the product and any service outage will not affect them. 

Edited by Slurpy - 6/27/13 at 3:23pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, shut up.
Citation needed.

Yes, lets delete comments that don't agree with yours. Very nice! 

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a crock of horse-shit. Apple was a pioneer in many aspects of web services, and they've had impressive and innovative offerings throughout their entire history. Their success was pretty much built on it. But everytime they have any kind of hiccup or outage, people like you shriek about their web incompetence, as if the other big players never have anything of the sort. Google had some massive gmail outages not long ago, as well as outages of their other services, but noone really gives a shit when that happens or makes it out to be more than what it is. But Apple, on the other hand, they may as well throw in the towel if they don't have 100.0000000% uptime and utter perfection for every single person. Personally, I've never had an issue with iCloud or any of its myriad of services, and I'm sure hundreds of millions of others are in the same boat. So do you want them to just "abandon" their future and just "leave it to Google and Amazon"? Netflix doesn't even do a FRACTION of what Apple does with online services. The complexity of what iCloud does, and the amount of services, in which even if there is a small hiccup will be noticed, can't be compared to simply streaming video. 

Google and Microsoft services go down and have issues all the time- I know, because I use them. The only difference is that there's not the same level of shrieking and hollering when it happens, because:

1. Apple is set to higher standards (which is fine)

2. Non-Apple negative stories don't generate as much ad revenue

3. The massive contigent of apple-haters online come out of the woodwork to promote all anti-Apple stories as much as possible, even when they don't use the product and any service outage will not affect them. 

Kool-aid man Ohhh yeah!!!!

post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

What the ****?

Then it's not 'perfect'. Perfect things work 100% of the time.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Thank you...

I appreciate your gratitude but I wasn't the one that took away his moderator privileges.
post #19 of 23
Oh poor survive failure. Weirdly after I read this article Siri went bisurk on me.
post #20 of 23

Apple get your fk'n shit together! I am a huge fan and bought my first mac in 1984! But get this fixed and fast - last two days horribly slow, and now today when I send emails to my client it is stripping out the attachments and turning them into .dat files!!!! WTF!!!!!! This is inexcusable - I have a client yelling at me like I'm some kind of fk-up that I repeatedly can't even send attachments!!!!!

post #21 of 23
Quote:

Yes, lets delete comments that don't agree with yours. Very nice! 

Thanks for agreeing with what I said. If you didn't, or if there was anything wrong with it, you would have said something about it that actually meant anything to anyone. You didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Apple get your fk'n shit together! I am a huge fan and bought my first mac in 1984! But get this fixed and fast - last two days horribly slow, and now today when I send emails to my client it is stripping out the attachments and turning them into .dat files!!!! WTF!!!!!! This is inexcusable - I have a client yelling at me like I'm some kind of fk-up that I repeatedly can't even send attachments!!!!!

1tongue.gif /s

post #22 of 23
Quote:

Kool-aid man Ohhh yeah!!!!

So that's what you respond with, after my post where I stated very specific things in order to make an argument? How do people like you, after 800+ posts, still have the privilege of poster here after the vast majority of your posts are composed of nothing but drive-by, mind-numbing trolls like that? You don't have the capacity to respond to what I said, so you spout am embarassingly childish one-liner implying I'm brainwashed. Well done, how incredibly original. 

post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

How do people like you, after 800+ posts, still have the privilege of poster here after the vast majority of your posts are composed of nothing but drive-by, mind-numbing trolls like that?

Quoted because it needs to show up again.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple's iCloud and iTunes see service outages, 20% of users affected