or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey - Page 4

post #121 of 265

Thanks to DVR's I thankfully don't have to suffer from too many commercials. I tend to record the shows I want to watch and skip them. June has a lot of re-runs so I do channel surf a bit more now and have watched more commercials. One thing that always catches my attention is the music. Some commercials have songs that I had never heard but just immediately like and others that I viscerally hate. One example is a song that is now extremely overplayed by a dozen or more companies but many months ago I believe History channel was the very first to use this song to advertise for their upcoming series the Bible and the Vikings. I had never heard this song before then but I immediately loved it and anytime that commercial appeared it captured my attention.It has since become a top 10 hit I believe.  The problem with music is everyone has different taste and some of you may hate this song. So it is tough to find a song with a really broad appeal but Apple did that successfully many times before with their iPod/iTunes ads with unknown songs that later became hits like that one from that Brazilian singer.

 

The song I was talking about is called radioactive.

post #122 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently. More advertising missteps, releasing a very rough, unpolished looking beta-level iOS 7 for developers... Frankly, these are troubling for a variety of reasons. Primarily it indicates to me that the push for "insanely great" every time is fast becoming "good enough...I'll fix it tomorrow".

That kind of thinking might be OK at Microsoft, but it doesn't work at Apple. People need to start getting fired. I'm seeing less urgency at Apple now.

and why do you think Apple needs to be urgent about anything?

No need to state your credentials, it's in your tag line at the bottom.  And it doesn't show you're any more of a devoted fan than a stock broker looking for a quick turning profit.

post #123 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Was the stock $600 - $700 when Tim Cook took over?

Nope! It got that high UNDER TIM COOK.
Quote:
...opinion...

See, you don't actually have one. Should I add this to the list? Would that make you people shut up about it? Your magical, mystical nonsense does not constitute an opinion.
post #124 of 265

Of course it's ranked low, it's boring and overly self-congratulatory. People want ads about new products, not wordy sentimental pats on the back that feel more like an extension of the California tourism commercials. Everyone knows Apple has nothing really to talk about until the new products drop in the fall, so these are basically filler.

 

In any case, at least they are better than those god awful Apple Genius commercials. Man those things stunk. Personally I miss the fun of the silhouette dancing people and the humor of the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

post #125 of 265

The commercial sheds light on the BS of the marketing campaign. We (obedient media sheep) are supposedly told to care more where a product is designed than where it was made. Both are equally important.

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #126 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Well I have nothing against white people of course, but yes "smugness" is one of my least favourite human traits and I would argue most people around the world think similarly.  It really is an unusual situation in the USA where what would be thought of as smug self-promotion is thought of there as some kind of positive trait.  

 

Also, we actually haven't been hearing about "why Apple can't build phones in America" for the last year.  This is a conversation that has taken place only in America, and only in some places in America.  As has been said by myself and others numerous times, outside of the USA, no one gives the slightest thought to this.  In a typically American way, many American's think that their internal debates and conversations are actually "world" conversations.  They aren't.  

 

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to put out some obvious truth that many people in other countries around the world can see as clear as day, but apparently Americans are blind to.  A lost cause and a faint hope apparently.  

 

My sincere apologies to anyone offended by these facts. 

so are you saying that you're not proud of what you do, or where you live?  see my previous posts in this forum for more rebuttals.

post #127 of 265

Or maybe our junk food infused minds can't comprehend deeper meaning anymore? The days of getting an emotional response that is not envy, anger or hate are coming to an end. If there is no conflict, people don't know how they're supposed to deal with it.

 

Is it really boring? No it's not. It just doesn't "stimulate" your numbed down sensibilities.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #128 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

 

I also think a designed in the U.S.A. might have had more cachet than California which means nothing to people that don't live there and for many that might even have a negative connotation.

 

I think you have that backwards.  Unfortunately, USA invokes a negative connotation for many in the world (think George Bush and 'Merica, Wall Street greed and corruption, Arrogance, Drones, Bullies, Mansanto, and Imperialism).

post #129 of 265

The ad should have been just:

 

[Silent fade in closeup of Christopher Walken]

 

 

"Hello, little man. Boy I sure
heard a bunch about you. See, I
was a good friend of your Daddy's.

This iPhone. This iPhone was
in your Daddy's pocket when he was
shot down over Samsung. The way your Daddy
looked at it, that iPhone was your
birthright. And he'd be damned if
any slopes were gonna put their
greasy yella hands on his boy's
birthright. Then when he died of
disentary, he gave me the iPhone. I
hid with uncomfortable hunk of
metal up my ass for two years. And now,

little man, I give the iPhone to you."

 

[Fade to black]

 

[Voiceover read by Tom Waits] "Designed by Apple in California because we know you love our products so much you'll do anything to protect them..."

 

[Fade in Apple logo]

 

[Voiceover] "...Even put them in your ass"

post #130 of 265

The problem is, this is in the category of "image advertising," the sort of campaigning done by unpopular oil, chemical, aerospace, and pharmaceutical companies to make people think they're humanitarians.  There is a risk of cynical reaction to such messaging.  Apple's "Think different" campaign was the same thing but was done in a time of desperate need for relevance.  Nobody thinks Apple is irrelevant now.  So why is Apple doing this?  Because they haven't released a fundamentally new product in years.  This sort of image advertising carries a whiff of fear and neediness and also feels manipulative, and people can sense it.

post #131 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Shut up and go away, then. Seems pretty simple to understand: you don't give a flying frick about the truth or what this company is actually doing, so what right or reason do you have to be on a website about said company?

What right or reason do you have to come to every single article and derail and hijack it with your endless battles waging a war on trolls. You do realize that you have become the thing you profess to hate.  Quoting them and replying like a troll adds no value to the discussion which I thought was about the new Apple ad campaign. Neither of your comments in this thread mentioned the topic. Why not report the posts you find offensive, ignore them instead of quoting them which only further pollutes the thread, and actually discuss the topic of the article. 

post #132 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently.

I guess you missed all the iPod ads, then. They were no more 'exciting' than this one - and they were promoting a product.

Let me guess, you think a good ad should have 1,000 people dancing outdoors and clicking keyboards onto tablets in sync. /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

500, that's the number of viewers they surveyed.

There are questions about whether the Nielsen pool of 25k is enough to be statistically sound. 500 can't possibly be

Now, the only question is what makes you think that you know anything about statistics.

25,000 is easily statistically sound - as is 500. If the samples are randomly selected, you can use either size as your sample. The margin of error will differ, of course, but that doesn't mean that it's not statistically sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Was the stock $600 - $700 when Tim Cook took over?

No, it wasn't. Now, I have a question for you. Why are Apple-haters so allergic to facts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

What do you think accounts for the bottom dropping out of this company in under 1 year?

Because the idiots on Wall Street have no concept of how to value a company. And that's precisely one of the groups that this ad is most likely to affect.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #133 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Quoting them and replying like a troll adds no value to the discussion...

Denouncing crap instead of allowing crap to stand as though it's true "adds no value" in gwmacland. 1rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Neither of your comments in this thread mentioned the topic.

Nonsense is also the law of the land in gwmacland.
post #134 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The commercial sheds light on the BS of the marketing campaign. We (obedient media sheep) are supposedly told to care more where a product is designed than where it was made. Both are equally important.

 

"Designed in California" is the signature as the commercial states. This is written on all their products. It's not something you as the "consumer" is supposed to care about, unfortunately as with most people today, your sense of entitlement has blinded your ability to see that. This whole campaign is designed as a call to arms for Apple and its employees. That they can be proud of the products they help make and that they might enrich the lives of those that use them.

 

No product line is mentioned.

No competitor is mentioned.

 

This is not a sales advertisement - It is a mission statement.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #135 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

High falutin BS designed (in California) to cover up the fact that Apple is devoid of any new ideas for groundbreaking products that can excite the masses in any meaningful way. The AI apologists here miss the reality that AAPL is now under $400 and shrinking daily due to Tim Cook's incompetent out of touch leadership.  

Uh, no.  It's because Apple isn't bending to Wall Street or any of the bandwagoneers trying to tell when what to do.

I could care less what the stock prices are now.  as long as Apple has money and makes great products, i'm happy.

 

You people need to seriously wake up and realize you were spoiled over the last 6 years of iOS.  things changed so rapidly because Jobs had to get the greater portion of his roadmap established before he was gone.  If you read the Bio and can read look with some perspective.

post #136 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Was the stock $600 - $700 when Tim Cook took over? What do you think accounts for the bottom dropping out of this company in under 1 year? Do you know what the "company is actually doing"? Can you explain the reason for Apple's sudden implosion? Oh, and you think I don't have a right to have an opinion or be on this website? And you call yourself a mod, LOL? I'm the one who loves Apple! Your blindness to the facts makes you an Apple addict, strung out on a high you (and Apple) can't achieve any longer. What will you say when Apple hits $300, $200... I know. You'll say Apple is a great company. The facts don't matter, only my  warped opinion matters. 

that price was over inflated to begin with.  it's the bandwagon going again.  Things were going too fast.  It was a bubble.  Get over it and accept your losses.

post #137 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

So why is Apple doing this?  Because they haven't released a fundamentally new product in years.

and the Mac Pro isn't fundamentally new?

The iPad is a tablet computer, no?  those have been around for nearly 20 years.

iPhone wasn't a new idea, just a better one.

 

All I'm saying is really let's have a recess from all this crap about Apple not doing anything new every time someone wants.

 

So who has produced anything radically and fundamentally new?

OK, Google glass?  Self-driving cars?  sure those are new but also really freakin' scary too.  Is that what you want?

post #138 of 265
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Yep, "designed in the USA" would've had broader appeal to the rest of the USA.
But designed in the USA isn't written on the back of Apple products. Unless you think Apple should change that?
post #139 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

So why is Apple doing this?  Because they haven't released a fundamentally new product in years.

Talk about stupid.
post #140 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

To me, the "designed in California" isn't so much a dig at other states, but every time I read or hear it, I'm immediately thinking to myself "and built overseas so that someone else gets the job."
So Apple should only be allows to employee people in the USA even though they sell products all around the world? Americans are more worthy of jobs than Chinese?
post #141 of 265
Am I the only person who appreciates the ad, the message and the "designed by Apple in California" signature?

Have people forgotten that California is the trend setting state according to most youth?
Have people forgotten that California is the home of technology innovation?


Does anyone believe that China freely release their hold on technology companies allowing them to transact business elsewhere. If companies don't manufacture components in China they don't receive the rare earth elements necessary to manufacture the components. How this seems to elude so many people mystifies me.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/27/13 at 11:58am
post #142 of 265
I'm not surprised at all..... Apple is perfectly capable of advertising the brand rather than the products and did so brilliantly in the past with 'think different'. The difference between that and this is that it doesn't resonate with viewers because it comes across as cocky Apple propaganda. The brilliance of think different was that it glorified influential historical heroes who changed the world which inferred that Apple shared their philosophy rather than stating it directly. This new one is just a 'look at us aren't we great' advert that will appeal to apples existing users and no one else
post #143 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But designed in the USA isn't written on the back of Apple products. Unless you think Apple should change that?

 

So do you think the ad should've also included the most common "Assembled in China" part of that inscription?

 

That would've gone over well.

post #144 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Am I the only person who appreciates the ad, the message and the "designed by Apple in California" signature?

guess you missed my posts on page 3?

post #145 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Little wonder. It's a shitty, pompous advert that only serves to stroke Apple's ego.

A company that lives to delight its customers and frustrate its critics = pompous? I hope so. Maybe you thought the whole "Designed in California" business was smug? Well, where else in the world could a company like Apple get its start? Would you rather they design this stuff in Shanghai? Or Bangalore?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #146 of 265
IMO it would have scored much better had they left out 'In California', which pretty much explicitly leaves out every other state.
post #147 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

"Designed in California" is the signature as the commercial states. This is written on all their products. It's not something you as the "consumer" is supposed to care about, unfortunately as with most people today, your sense of entitlement has blinded your ability to see that. This whole campaign is designed as a call to arms for Apple and its employees. That they can be proud of the products they help make and that they might enrich the lives of those that use them.

 

No product line is mentioned.

No competitor is mentioned.

 

This is not a sales advertisement - It is a mission statement.


Basically their commercial says that their products are great because they are designed by really over paid 'free' Californians and built by mostly by really poor 'slave-like' Chinese that they don't want to mention. The only different from this and the old slave plantations of the south is that Apple has better advertising.

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
Reply
post #148 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

So do you think the ad should've also included the most common "
Assembled in China" part of that inscription?


That would've gone over well.

Apple's self-identity doesn't depend on that. They aren't hiding it: it is inscribed on the back of the products that have final assembly there. But it is not what makes Apple unique. Not is it the only country of final assembly for everything they make. So... Why did you bring it up?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #149 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post


Basically their commercial says that their products are great because they are designed by really over paid 'free' Californians and built by mostly by really poor 'slave-like' Chinese that they don't want to mention. The only different from this and the old slave plantations of the south is that Apple has better advertising.

Say... where's that Xbox made? Oh wait, it's only "slave-like" when Apple does it...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #150 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Am I the only person who appreciates the ad, the message and the "designed by Apple in California" signature?

Have people forgotten that California is the trend setting state according to most youth?
Have people forgotten that California is the home of technology innovation?


Does anyone believe that China freely release their hold on technology companies allowing them to transact business elsewhere. If companies don't manufacture components in China they don't receive the rare earth elements necessary to manufacture the components. How this seems to elude so many people mystifies me.

I thought it was OK. Comparable to the Think Different commercial. People called that pompous and preening, too, back in the day. Now it is much better received. Other companies (unrelated to tech) are following Apple's lead in "values advertising." People have studied and digested the lessons of the Think Different campaign.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #151 of 265
Well people used to expect revolutionary products from Apple but the limitations of research and development against Apple's yearly time frame of events and not going public about them vs being very transparent about them is what's dropping their cool status... not just this commercial. They should go for the middle man, not for brand name status. Like "THIS IS DESIGNED BY APPLE. BUY IT." is not a good market strategy. I would support a new strategy like "We started in a garage. If we can do amazing things for the world. You can do it. Be a rebel."

That's what Apple's brand used to stand for. Why did they change it... I don't know.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply
post #152 of 265
?IMO - not sure why DBAINC is an ad in itself. Just a nice comment or line at the end of normal ads of Designed in USA etc. would be great.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #153 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The commercial sheds light on the BS of the marketing campaign. We (obedient media sheep) are supposedly told to care more where a product is designed than where it was made. Both are equally important.

Please. No one telling you what to think. Your outburst just proved my point. This ad campaign is an expression of Apple's values. They can express that in the commercials they pay for. If you want to buy TV airspace to tell us your values, you are free to do that. Then you can deal with the armchair media critics. Oh wait, it's only BS when Apple does it...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #154 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Total andcdote, but twice I've been in loud bars with TVs and the commercial came on and there was something about the quietness of it that made nearly everyone stop talking and watch it.

Obviously these spots aren't going to make someone run out and buy an Apple product, but I think it's a smart move to shore up their brand attributes during this new product lull.

 



1rolleyes.gif

An observant person would notice that when a sound environment changes from loud to quiet, conversations cease momentarily as people who were probably talking loud stop to reassess their volume. These collective moments of silence happen all the time, everywhere, and they have nothing to do with people being in complete awe of shitty Apple commercials.

post #155 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodification View Post


Basically their commercial says that their products are great because they are designed by really over paid 'free' Californians and built by mostly by really poor 'slave-like' Chinese that they don't want to mention. The only different from this and the old slave plantations of the south is that Apple has better advertising.

Appalling. I would encourage you to read some accounts of the slave trade.

Applicants line up for Foxconn jobs. They're not taken in chains from the countryside.

On behalf of Marshall McLuhan, I will ask you again to consider that uneven paths of development in the world are a result of uneven adoption of communications technologies. The West industrialized before the East because of the phonetic alphabet and the invention of the portable printed book.

Your bleeding-heart remonstrances are wasted on tectonic shifts in global economic co-evolution.
post #156 of 265
I disagree with all the negativity about the current ad campaign. It is easy in hind sight to rave about "The Crazy Ones" ad but what you must remember is it was just a preamble to the Think Different campaign. When "The Crazy Ones" first aired people were very negative about it. What that is supposed to sell Macs? Many people said it sucked!!!

The current "Designed by Apple in California" might be very much the same thing. I expect this is the first round of a broader PRODUCT focused "Signature" campaign that will accompany new product rollouts in the fall. I think it is a very clever campaign draws in the legend of Steve Jobs' idea of the designers and engineers signing their work on the original Macintosh and subsequent products without mentioning Jobs himself (ie drawing attention to his absence) but reflects that Apple is still Apple.

I expect harder hitting "Signature" ads to launch the new iPhone and feature iOS 7. I think it is simply too early to judge a campaign by this initial start. "The Crazy Ones" scored poorly out of the gate but now it is legend. Time will tell.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#ixzz2XRlG0HD6
Read more at http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#t1jVl76sIABO7DhV.99

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

Reply
post #157 of 265

Anyone asked who this marketing firm is and who is its client?

 

It just signed up SameSung...surprise surprise...Bloomturd is a skank.

post #158 of 265
With the tax avoidance headlines in the UK we end up with 'Designed in California in order to avoid taxes everywhere'
post #159 of 265
Bogus Public Relations (propaganda)
Samsung is a big client of Ace Metrix.
(from their own press release)
http://www.acemetrix.com/news/press-releases/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/
post #160 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3uglytruth View Post

Anyone asked who this marketing firm is and who is its client?

It just signed up SameSung...surprise surprise...Bloomturd is a skank.

That explains this survey. Voted up.

Ace Metrix has also previously declared Samsung as having the most effective ads.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey