or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey - Page 7

post #241 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Maybe a lot of people don't like California?

In my travels outside the US, I've heard many positive impressions of California. Inside the the US is a different matter, which is why I think these ads should be limited to an international audience.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #242 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In my travels outside the US, I've heard many positive impressions of California. Inside the the US is a different matter, which is why I think these ads should be limited to an international audience.

That's because California is almost liberal enough to be called conservative in the rest of the world...

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #243 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's because California is almost liberal enough to be called conservative in the rest of the world...

Indeed. 1biggrin.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #244 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettvista

"Hope you're right. Best work is always done when there is a struggle and a deadline."

I sure disagree with that. Maybe in olden days pressure tactics got more labor done, but in a highly technical and creative field I think most companies find extra perks and prizes are better at motivating, oh, say, a software programmer.

Ya, right, like you can write code with a sword over your head! Not no more you can't!
The human brain cannot write logic code when in fight or flight mode. It just shuts down.
Maybe Jobs got away with some of that early on though before programming was as complex as it is now.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #245 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettvista

"Hope you're right. Best work is always done when there is a struggle and a deadline."

I sure disagree with that. Maybe in olden days pressure tactics got more labor done, but in a highly technical and creative field I think most companies find extra perks and prizes are better at motivating, oh, say, a software programmer.

Ya, right, like you can write code with a sword over your head! Not no more you can't!
The human brain cannot write logic code when in fight or flight mode. It just shuts down.
Maybe Jobs got away with some of that early on though before programming was as complex as it is now.

 

Interesting you think this. Remember, Apple got to where it is today WITHOUT a fancy spaceship campus and under incredible pressures exerted by Jobs. He knew what he was doing. People either perform and get the first prize of the Cadillac Eldorado, or they get the second prize of the set of steak knives. Third prize? You're FIRED!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #246 of 265

Whether you like Rush or not... this is an interesting take and rings true to  me regarding the ad and Samsung

 

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/06/28/a_teachable_moment_on_politics_who_says_everyone_hates_apple_s_ad_samsung

post #247 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In my travels outside the US, I've heard many positive impressions of California. Inside the the US is a different matter, which is why I think these ads should be limited to an international audience.
I wonder about that though. People might not want to live in CA or even agree with its liberal politics/culture. But I know a lot of people who love vacationing there.
post #248 of 265
Guess who's on the Ace Metrix roster of advertising clients? It's no wonder they scored Apple so low on their ads. Not exactly an objective evaluation of the ad, I would say.

http://www.adoperationsonline.com/2012/06/04/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/
post #249 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Whether you like Rush or not... this is an interesting take and rings true to  me regarding the ad and Samsung

 

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/06/28/a_teachable_moment_on_politics_who_says_everyone_hates_apple_s_ad_samsung

 

This has been talked about the thread already.

 

Rush's article is another example of how you should never believe what you hear on the Internet, without checking on it.

 

When Limbaugh said:  "Two days after I saw the first story, I then learned that the company that did the survey of people taking their opinions is the advertising agency for Samsung.  Ace Metrix.  They do the ads for Samsung.  They do the marketing for Samsung. "

 

He was utterly incorrect.   Ace Metrix isn't an advertising agency at all.   They don't do Samsung ads.  They don't do any Samsung marketing.  

 

What they do, is take surveys and make reports about how ads go over with consumers.  Those reports are what Samsung and others use them for... to improve their own ads.

 

Ace Metrix is obviously fishing for more customers.  That's why they put out blurbs like their Apple ad review.   It's no different than when other companies like comScore put out their little reports.  It's all about getting more customers through publicity stunts.

post #250 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

This has been talked about the thread already.

 

Rush's article is another example of how you should never believe what you hear on the Internet, without checking on it.

 

When Limbaugh said:  "Two days after I saw the first story, I then learned that the company that did the survey of people taking their opinions is the advertising agency for Samsung.  Ace Metrix.  They do the ads for Samsung.  They do the marketing for Samsung. "

 

He was utterly incorrect.   Ace Metrix isn't an advertising agency at all.   They don't do Samsung ads.  They don't do any Samsung marketing.  

 

What they do, is take surveys and make reports about how ads go over with consumers.  Those reports are what Samsung and others use them for... to improve their own ads.

 

Ace Metrix is obviously fishing for more customers.  That's why they put out blurbs like their Apple ad review.   It's no different than when other companies like comScore put out their little reports.  It's all about getting more customers through publicity stunts.

Thanks for the info - that's funny - I guess the internet is just one big cesspool of misinformation.  I miss the days of good reporting, checked sources, etc... it's our need for speed that is causing the errors.

post #251 of 265

I like the fact that Apple "makes mistakes". I mean no company can keep moving forward without purposely make mistakes masquerade as honest intents. You can't really say that one ad is better than the other because this ad was not about promoting a product but about promoting a brand. And how this is an American Company (not a korean company). Worldwide the whole "Made in the USA" branding is still very valuable since everything now is made in China or Asia for that matter. 

post #252 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Thanks for the info - that's funny - I guess Rush Limbaugh is just one big cesspool of misinformation.  I miss the days of good reporting, checked sources, etc... it's our need for speed that is causing the errors.

 

Fixed that for you.

post #253 of 265
Enough politics.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #254 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Thanks for the info - that's funny - I guess the internet is just one big cesspool of misinformation.  I miss the days of good reporting, checked sources, etc... it's our need for speed that is causing the errors.

The funny thing is Ace Metrix have Samsung as their client so whatever they put out on Apple is objective.
post #255 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

This has been talked about the thread already.

Rush's article is another example of how you should never believe what you hear on the Internet, without checking on it.
 
When Limbaugh said:  "Two days after I saw the first story, I then learned that the company that did the survey of people taking their opinions is the advertising agency for Samsung.  Ace Metrix.  They do the ads for Samsung.  They do the marketing for Samsung. "


He was utterly incorrect.   Ace Metrix isn't an advertising agency at all.   They don't do Samsung ads.  They don't do any Samsung marketing.  


What they do, is take surveys and make reports about how ads go over with consumers.  Those reports are what Samsung and others use them for... to improve their own ads.

Ace Metrix is obviously fishing for more customers.  That's why they put out blurbs like their Apple ad review.   It's no different than when other companies like comScore put out their little reports.  It's all about getting more customers through publicity stunts.

They just "take surveys". I bet this is an example question: do you think the new Apple ad sucks? Completely sucks, somewhat sucks, other variation of sucks, other.

Full disclosure is required in journalism.
post #256 of 265
Ok... Just to expand on my boring comment.... My wife has always picked on me because we watch everything on DVR and I fast forward through all the commercials... Unless its a new apple commercial... Or one that I particularly like.... But tonight an apple commercial came on and it took a good 10 seconds to realize it was an apple ad... It took another 5 for me to look back to my computer... Then I looked back just long enough to fast forward. Nothing to see here... Move along
post #257 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Thanks for the info - that's funny - I guess the internet is just one big cesspool of misinformation.  I miss the days of good reporting, checked sources, etc... it's our need for speed that is causing the errors.

 

So true.  Few wait before reposting these days.  Worse, there are very very few bloggers / "reporters" out there with actual technical or business experience, that would allow them to know when something is fishy.

 

As for Ace Metrix, they say that they review every national commercial in most categories, not just from their clients.  They apparently do this to build up their expertise and software that they use for rating such ads.  

 

Once a year, using this data, they release their top list of brands to watch, rated by ads.

 

Of interest to this thread... and the conspiracy seekers... is their last such list, and the last line in it.   Check it out at the end:

 

 

Ace rated Apple as having top performing phone ads that please customers and give good brand recognition.   (They also highly ranked Samsung TV brand recognition.  This lists predates Samsung signing on as a customer by months, btw.  Including top companies in their list, is one way to get them to sign up.)


Edited by KDarling - 6/29/13 at 12:07pm
post #258 of 265
I have always hated the California thing ever since the first time I saw it on the packaging and every single time since. I always wondered if Apple was thinking that for some odd reason the name California was somehow historically linked to the concept of quality or something. On the world stage, if something is made in the USA or in Germany, this is taken to mean quality. California? Why is it better than Illinois or Ohio?

Lose it. All the California labeling does is underscore Apple's egotistical and extremely introverted view of reality - a mindset that for many years has caused Apple to throw in at least one boner for every two home runs - screwing over users, removing popular features and so on.
post #259 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

I have always hated the California thing ever since the first time I saw it on the packaging and every single time since. I always wondered if Apple was thinking that for some odd reason the name California was somehow historically linked to the concept of quality or something. On the world stage, if something is made in the USA or in Germany, this is taken to mean quality. California? Why is it better than Illinois or Ohio?

Lose it. All the California labeling does is underscore Apple's egotistical and extremely introverted view of reality - a mindset that for many years has caused Apple to throw in at least one boner for every two home runs - screwing over users, removing popular features and so on.

Why California? Perhaps that's where Cupertino is located. Seriously.

How are they screwing over users? Did its product updates somehow make existing ones obsolete?

As for removing functions, every one does it. If it affects you, don't upgrade or buy it.
post #260 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
It's no different than when other companies like comScore put out their little reports.

 

No. It's completely different. If you're talking about comScore's US mobile phone subscriber stats... they publish those once a month. And have done so for over three years.

 

On the other hand, a company that no one has heard of, Ace Metrix suddenly publishes details of a poorly scoring Apple commercial... and announce Samsung as a paying client.

 

I realise that some Apple fans are going nuts over this... but even you must admit it's smells a bit fishy.

post #261 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

I always wondered if Apple was thinking that for some odd reason the name California was somehow historically linked to the concept of quality or something.

 

Not quality, but California is often associated with being "cool and different" as far as designs and fashion go.

post #262 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

On the other hand, a company that no one has heard of, 

 

Most people used to not know who Foxconn or HTC were, either.   Or comScore.  Or IDC.  Or the ITC .  Or NSA, or a whole bunch of other entities that were around long before laymen heard of them. Ditto for multi-touch and other industry terms.  

 

The world does not begin the moment somebody on a forum belatedly becomes aware of it.

 

Apple's Santa TV spot deemed best ad of holiday season - 2011 Apple Insider article about Ace Metrix

 

As far as announcing both things at the same time, it sure seems meant to garner the most publicity and association with both companies as possible... an association which somebody doing something underhanded would not want.


Edited by KDarling - 6/29/13 at 12:49pm
post #263 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

As far as announcing both things at the same time, it sure seems meant to garner the most publicity and association with both companies as possible... an association which somebody doing something underhanded would not want.

 

So... what's that got to do with Comscore?

post #264 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enough politics.
Not going to stop them
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

I have always hated the California thing ever since the first time I saw it on the packaging and every single time since. I always wondered if Apple was thinking that for some odd reason the name California was somehow historically linked to the concept of quality or something. On the world stage, if something is made in the USA or in Germany, this is taken to mean quality. California? Why is it better than Illinois or Ohio?

Lose it. All the California labeling does is underscore Apple's egotistical and extremely introverted view of reality - a mindset that for many years has caused Apple to throw in at least one boner for every two home runs - screwing over users, removing popular features and so on.
post #265 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Not going to stop them
Oops also the point that. silicone valley in. California.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey