or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey - Page 2

post #41 of 265

I hope the survey results send a wakeup call to Phil Schiller. The commercials are beautifully produced, of course. But they don't say anything. They don't have an edge. Steve Jobs turned down similar campaigns saying they look like Visa commercials. People don't care where it was designed. They want to know what the products will do for them, and why they're worth the price.

 

The campaign will die a natural death. An advertising campaign is only as good as the client. Hopefully Phil, Tim and the others realize they're talking to themselves.

post #42 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Too subtle.

 

They could have saved 55 seconds by saying: "Apple is American and Samsung is a bunch of Korean crooks."  This line should be delivered by Clint Eastwood, Glenn Beck, Ted Nugent or a Charleton Heston impersonator.  It would be much more to the point.

It certainly would have caught people's attention and caused controversy. 1smile.gif The new red neck ultra right wing Apple. Not sure it would have done sales a whole lot of good.

post #43 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well, duh, of course it did.  There are 49 other states in the Union and most of them have a negative view of California. I'm glad they are so proud to be from California but it rankles me just as much as those people saying Texas should secede.  Apple is what Apple is because of their hiring practices which includes ALL of the US as well as the entire world. I mean, look at Johnny Ive for crying out loud.  Apple doesn't "belong" to California and their success has nothing to do with California.  In fact, given the taxes and such Apple would most likely be a much more lucrative company if they were based elsewhere.

I have to agree with everything but your last two sentences. There are big, hard-to-miss historical reasons why Silicon Valley happens to be in California, specifically near Palo Alto.

You can see this easily if you read the biography, or for a cultural history, What the Dormouse Said by John Markoff. (Right, I never pass up a chance to mention that book.)

But your point about "designed in California" being a negative to much of the rest of the country is probably true, unfortunately. Like "made in USA" to the rest of the world.

I also have to agree with others here that the ad is too saccharine, but then we're not the target audience. It's hard to figure the psychology behind their intent on this one.
post #44 of 265

It would certainly be an improvement. (It sounds like you channeled Steve Jobs)

post #45 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

I don't know who signed off on that campaign, but I don't like it either. It's far too self-absorbed and precious. Whoever is responsible should be fired immediately. They don't really "get" Apple. Maybe this is why Apple is now trading under $400....$#%¥$!?!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 265
Apple's marketing team may feel a deep connection to California. But Apple fans around the world feel differently. Apple transcends geographical locations, religions, races, classes.

To borrow a line from "Man of Steel", Apple "give the people an ideal to stride towards", work hard, take pride in your work, make the tough decisions, make something beautiful even in places people don't see, be passionate about your design. Change the world, one device at a time.
post #47 of 265

As the Apple faithful, we of course understand the message wants to send with this, and why. But I also see it as an ad with a number of weaknesses. Firstly the "Designed by Apple in California" thing is fine on packaging, but odd to push in this manner. I'm not American, but if I were, and wasn't from California, this could sound rather arrogant and elitist. Are they implying California is better than other states? And I agree the "and it means Everything" line is equally weak. It's the kind of thing you say when you want to sound deep, but don't really have a clue how to express yourself. There are reasons why it means a lot, but they assume the viewer knows/agrees, and that's a somewhat pompous rhetorical style.

 

That said, the purpose of ads isn't necessarily to be liked. In this case, it's to associate some values with the brand, and it may well have that effect then next time someone is choosing between a Galaxy and an iPhone. The metrics reported here may correlate with those behaviour overall, but can't tell us much about the actual influence of a particular ad. I agree with the bar anecdote ... there is something about the ad that draws you in.

post #48 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It certainly would have caught people's attention and caused controversy. 1smile.gif The new red neck ultra right wing Apple. Not sure it would have done sales a whole lot of good.


Haha, you are probably right.  Sometimes I think the far left ends up with the same conclusions as the ultra right, even if they arrive there through completely different processes.  Sometimes the extremes have more in common with each other than either do with the middle.  Of course, the middle is the key to big sales volume.

post #49 of 265
It's the last two words that throw off people who've spent the entire ad wondering who this mysterious "we" is.

Try for a moment to recall anything "designed in California" in recent decades that impresses. Only a handful of states have worse public schools. The prisons are so crowded, a court has ordered criminals released onto the streets. Taxes are high. Government budgets are out of control. To please construction unions, the state is spending billions on a train to nowhere that'll never be finished. Businesses are fleeing. Even Apple is moving much of its employment out of state.

About the only things that's great about today's California are things that the state can't wreck, particularly the climate and the beaches. That's perhaps why the next version of OS X will be named for a surfing beach. But we can be certain the even Apple not insane enough to name a version after Sacramento, the state's capital and the home of the politicians who are the source of many of the state's many ills.

Nero is said to have fiddled while Rome burned. Apple's executives would rather go surfing and pretend all is well and that "designed in California" remains a mark of distinction.
post #50 of 265
Probably just me, but the thing that was a bit jarring to me is that the images and feelings Apple was trying to generate in the commercial is pretty much the exact opposite of what I think when I think California. I might associate those things specifically with the San Fran Bay area (which obviously is where Apple is located), but I wouldn't associate it with California in general.
post #51 of 265
Geez, everybody is jumping on the hate bandwagon. The ad sucks, but the campaign doesn't. They just have to make a better ad. This really isn't a science. It's really easy for those of us whose opinions face no consequences to talk about what's right or wrong, but it's extremely hard to have an idea that is placed under maybe the biggest microscope in the entire corporate world, which is what Apple is constantly under.

I'm convinced there isn't a company that could have faced this sort of scrutiny over the last two years and held up as well as Apple has. It's hard being Apple.
post #52 of 265

If there is any accuracy to this report, I have to honestly say that I'm not finding this surprising.

 

While the new ad does have a certain nice touch and perhaps even some sophistication to it, it is also simply boring, cheesy and longish on top of that. As an Apple fan and someone who has probably seen every single Apple ad and someone who has repeatedly watched all Get A Mac ads, I have to admit that I am not the least inclined to watch this recent ad a second time. There is nothing happening and it's just too long.

 

In addition, it lacks emotion and the classic Apple touch, their ads have always portrayed. I'm not talking specifically about the Think Different campaign, but about ads such as for their Mac lineup, for iPhone and recently for iPad Mini. The piano one was just genius. It was short, it was to the point and after less than a second everyone knew what it was about. The current ad doesn't transmit any such feelings or positive emotions and associations.

 

Also, unlike certain inspiring clips from Apple, such as the 10 minute video, which apparently didn't make it into the WWDC keynote, it also lacks any kind of inspiration. It doesn't show how this technology is able to change the world. It doesn't show any great things you can do with it or why this product matters in the big picture. It shows people using products in every day situations. This is something most of us do and therefore I'm finding it tedious and uninspiring to watch others do nothing special for as long as a minute in slow motion.

 

Apart from the ad campaign, I also dislike the new California focus. Yes, the print "Designed by Apple in California" was fantastic and nice. And that's all that was needed to say. That was all fine, however, associating the future of OS X versions with "places" from California was a big mistake in my opinion. Also, because it broke yet another thing that was typical for Apple, and that was to give OS releases a meaningful theme and follow through with them.

 

In fact I believe this to be the most significant mistake, because there are very few people around the world who even know what Mavericks is and yet alone care to know. However, everyone knew what Sonata was and everyone knew what Tiger was. I believe by creating this disassociation and the fact that most people can not make any relation to the product name, Apple created itself a huge problem. Also, because this message is not very believable. They got the best talent in the world working for them. Their people come from all over the US and from all over the world, just look at the various WWDC presenters and their accents.

 

When looking around the web for early impressions related to Mavericks, I'm seeing more and more people referring to it as 10.9, rather then to the codename. It just doesn't flow as easily from your keyboard and neither does it from the tongue. Most people don't have a clue as to what it means and as such you see it misspelled as "Maverick" a lot. As if it wasn't bad enough already, lots of people seem to somehow associate it with Top Gun, not sure whether they're making fun or not.

 

A certain momentum and impact is simply gone in my opinion and I think this is to the worse. I still remember the days where people were actually impressed by OS X and when they asked what it was and you replied "Tiger", they'd say something such as "cool" or "looks great". If you refer to OS X simply as Mavericks these days, I'm sure you get a lot of arched eyebrows and asked "what's that?". I still remember the anticipation they created during the WWDC keynote regarding the naming, including the joke about Sea Lion. Once they announced the name my first thought was "mmh", followed by "what's that anyway?". To me, this is as unimpressive as calling the next OS X, OS X 2013.


Edited by cynic - 6/27/13 at 7:27am
post #53 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I disagree.

I agree with your disagreement. Apple is all about being amazed and affected on a personal level every time one uses one of their objects d'art. The 'California' ad campaign looks like they're trying to suck up to politicians or something. Bugs me every time I see Apple wasting their money on a misbegotten idea these days... Who the hell is responsible for this?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #54 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post


Apple is at pains to tell the world how much they suffer to bring us these amazing products. I think they should back off a little. They over-do it at every new launch. The Ive style introspection gets a little formulaic if repeated too often. The trouble with such introspective ponderings is that they lack excitement. We get Apple's depth and commitment, but lets be told how awesome and thrilling the products are.
Prior to this ad campaign how much was Apple really doing that? I don't remember any ads from 2011, 2012 or even earlier in 2013 really following this formula. Sure the two iPhone ads they released might have been on the quieter side. But they were focused on people using Apple's products. I get the sense this ad campaign is a response to the critics (wall street and others) that are essentially going after Apple for not being Samsung and not flooding the market with product every other day. Apple is basically saying they focus on a few great things that take time and that won't be changing any time soon.

These ads might not resonate with the general public, but I'm not sure that the average joe seeing it on TV would automatically think smug or arrogant. Maybe boring. Also couldn't one argue that the products speak for themselves and Apple shouldn't have to tell us how awesome they are? And even if they did that you'd have people complaining about the ads being arrogant. Like that article on The Verge that poked fun at all the superlatives Apple used during the WWDC keynote.
post #55 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This article is entirely useless without:

- information on *why* they didn't like it.
- what the criteria for testing was
- a description of how "Ace Metrix's" system is set up

However, personally ... I agree.

When this ad isn't boring, it's smug, and talking about "we" without explaining until the very end who "we" is (consumer or company) is kind of a classic noob mistake. Surprised that such a prestigious firm made it.

Not at all. The ad is not intended to sell products. It's intended to create a mindset / image around Apple that's favorable. Using 'we' is a way to draw the customer into the ad - especially upon repeated viewings.

This isn't Apple's only ad. They advertise the iPad. They advertise the iPhone. They still even advertise the Mac (albeit not as much). The intent is the same as the "we bring good things to life" or "we don't make things, we make things better" or "better living through chemistry" ads that large companies have run in the past. GE is not going to sell a single jet engine on the basis of their image ad. But, if done properly, it allows the jet engine ads (and sales people) to be more effective. It can also have an impact on stock price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Apple isn't doomed, but Cook isn't the guy Apple needs right now, IMO. Apple needs vision and Cook seems to lack it. Admittedly, it's near impossible to follow a guy as charismatic as Steve Jobs. I wouldn't want to have to do that.

I love the irony here. You accuse Cook of not having any vision - as a response to an ad that's all about his vision. Cook is a different person than Jobs and will express his vision differently. There's a new focus on highlighting the US ties (manufacturing of the Mac Pro, 'designed in CA', etc). There's an emphasis on refinement - 'we're making great products even better'. At the same time, innovation and being different remains a high level of focus (it's no coincidence that the Mac Pro is the first product that they've given a sneak preview of for ages).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #56 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree with your disagreement. Apple is all about being amazed and affected on a personal level every time one uses one of their objects d'art. The 'California' ad campaign looks like they're trying to suck up to politicians or something. Bugs me every time I see Apple wasting their money on a misbegotten idea these days... Who the hell is responsible for this?

Your lack of understanding does not make the ads a mistake.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #57 of 265

It's too serious.  Let's have some fun.  It looked like a Chrysler Ad for Detroit.

post #58 of 265

Apple is fine, they are scoring high on the post-test surveys of Microsoft’s ads ;¬)

 

(although I’m totally making this up, I would be curious to know)

 

 

Joking aside, this ad is a corporate ad. It’s as much an outside message as it is an inward one. It’s never going to score high on post-test surveys because it’s about values. They remind me of the recent "innovation" campaign from IBM.

 

On a critical note, the two main messages that I get FROM THE VISUALS OF THE ADS, is that Apple’s products are accessible (meaning they are for everyone) and they have a positive impact on their user’s activities. But the WORDED MESSAGE doesn’t really work towards that direction precisely - the spoken/written message talks about them being focused, perfectionists, hard working, artists, proud, etc. That part of the message would have been better served by showing visuals of Apple’s people at work from various teams and work environments.

post #59 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree with your disagreement. Apple is all about being amazed and affected on a personal level every time one uses one of their objects d'art. The 'California' ad campaign looks like they're trying to suck up to politicians or something. Bugs me every time I see Apple wasting their money on a misbegotten idea these days... Who the hell is responsible for this?
One would assume Phil Schiller, since he's responsible for marketing. There was a story in Bloomberg about some of the ad firms Apple works with supposedly not being happy with Schiller.

I'm seeing these ads on TV a lot so I'd be curious to know what kind of feedback Apple or Chiat Day is getting. This doesn't seem like a small campaign so I can't see it being abandoned this quickly.
post #60 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Apple should evoke the thought of new, mind-blowing technology, not your grandma showing a slide-show

 

You put your finger on something here that I was thinking, but couldn't put into words.  This ad is "old."

 

It would fit right in, if you saw it in the 1960's, or 1970's, or discovered the print add while flipping through "Life" magazine in the later parts of the last century.  But it's been the 21st Century for a while now and if it's anything like the last two, by about 2020 all hell will break loose and things won't look anything like the last century.  That's only five years off now. 

 

Apple is run by a bunch of old, white, American, men and it's starting to show I think.  The OS's and the devices are definitely 21st century, but their whole aesthetic with the advertising is not playing as well as it used to.  They need to strike out in a new direction.  I don't think they really "get" current culture at Apple anymore. 

 

They changed ad companies quite a while ago now and most of the new ads are either not as good as the old ones, or successful only because they repeat the same sort of thing that worked before.  I'd like to see something just as good, but new and different instead of the "same old same old."


Edited by Gazoobee - 6/27/13 at 7:54am
post #61 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Too subtle.

 

They could have saved 55 seconds by saying: "Apple is American and Samsung is a bunch of Korean crooks."  This line should be delivered by Clint Eastwood, Glenn Beck, Ted Nugent or a Charleton Heston impersonator.  It would be much more to the point.

 

Right.  The most progressive company on the planet, should hire a series of tired old right-wing nut-jobs to promote their product.  That makes perfect sense. 

post #62 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

You do understand that advertising departments and agencies make commercials, write scripts, and generally come up with the ideas, not the CEOs, right?
post #63 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Your lack of understanding does not make the ads a mistake.

As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently. More advertising missteps, releasing a very rough, unpolished looking beta-level iOS 7 for developers... Frankly, these are troubling for a variety of reasons. Primarily it indicates to me that the push for "insanely great" every time is fast becoming "good enough...I'll fix it tomorrow".

That kind of thinking might be OK at Microsoft, but it doesn't work at Apple. People need to start getting fired. I'm seeing less urgency at Apple now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #64 of 265
The ads look and feel and sound great to me. I see the Designed in California theme as a primer for the upcoming release of the Built in America Mac Pro.
post #65 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple is run by a bunch of old, white, American, men and it's starting to show I think.

Just about every large company and every government branch is run by a bunch of old, white, American men. Did you just notice this first with Apple?
post #66 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

The ads look and feel and sound great to me. I see the Designed in California theme as a primer for the upcoming release of the Built in America Mac Pro.

It'll only be designed and assembled here. The manufacturing still happens in China.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #67 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

You do understand that advertising departments and agencies make commercials, write scripts, and generally come up with the ideas, not the CEOs, right?

Agencies don't approve the final ads. The client does that.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #68 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You put your finger on something here that I was thinking, but couldn't put into words.  This ad is "old."

It would fit right in, if you saw it in the 1960's, or 1970's, or discovered the print add while flipping through "Life" magazine in the later parts of the last century.  But it's been the 21st Century for a while now and if it's anything like the last two, by about 2020 all hell will break loose and things won't look anything like the last century.  That's only five years off now. 

Apple is run by a bunch of old, white, American, men and it's starting to show I think.  The OS's and the devices are definitely 21st century, but their whole aesthetic with the advertising is not playing as well as it used to.  They need to strike out in a new direction.  

They changed ad companies quite a while ago now and most of the new ads are either not as good as the old ones, or successful only because they repeat the same sort of thing that worked before.  I'd like to see something just as good, but new and different instead of the "same old same old."
I thought these ads were done by Chiat Day? Also, what does being white and American have to do with anything? Apple was run by white, American men when Steve Jobs ran the show. I don't remember people complaining then. 1rolleyes.gif
post #69 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Just about every large company and every government branch is run by a bunch of old, white, American men. Did you just notice this first with Apple?

What does "white" have to do with anything, my dear racist?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #70 of 265
500, that's the number of viewers they surveyed.

There are questions about whether the Nielsen pool of 25k is enough to be statistically sound. 500 can't possibly be
post #71 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

You could say the same thing about every ad in the Jobs era other than Think Different.

Some folks like, some dislike. It's the same for every ad. Some trumped up survey means nothing.

All that matters is folks buying. And they are
post #72 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBowfinger View Post

... People don't care where it was designed. ...

 

This is the thing that I keep coming to again and again lately.  Of course Americans care, but they are literally the only ones.  The rabid "must be made in America" thing is tired, old, and borderline offensive to most of their target audience, yet Apple has that typical american blindness about this fact.  To double-down on "made in America in the early stages of the 21st century is just lame and dumb IMO.  

 

Imagine for a moment that it's an alternate universe and the tag line is "Made entirely by white people."  It's the same thing.  

 

Because we are fast approaching a "post-racial" society around the world, "made by whites" seems like an offensive and artificial separation (and it is), but from the point of view of a globalist or anyone who considers themselves a citizen of the 21st century, "Made in California in the good old USA" is just as divisive, and just as offensive.  In a very short time this will seem like parochial nonsense at best, and prejudice at it's worst.  

 

All it is, is separating one group from another and saying "we're better."  How is that ever a good advertising message?  How is saying (essentially) "Made by people that are better than you," to the majority of their customers a smart move?  All this crap about "Mavericks" and California is the same thing.  Essentially they are saying "Made in a place better than where you live."

 

Who gives a shit where something was made?  We want to know that it was made ethically, but most folks under 30 don't give a crap about "made in America."  

post #73 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Prior to this ad campaign how much was Apple really doing that? I don't remember any ads from 2011, 2012 or even earlier in 2013 really following this formula. Sure the two iPhone ads they released might have been on the quieter side. But they were focused on people using Apple's products. I get the sense this ad campaign is a response to the critics (wall street and others) that are essentially going after Apple for not being Samsung and not flooding the market with product every other day. Apple is basically saying they focus on a few great things that take time and that won't be changing any time soon.

These ads might not resonate with the general public, but I'm not sure that the average joe seeing it on TV would automatically think smug or arrogant. Maybe boring. Also couldn't one argue that the products speak for themselves and Apple shouldn't have to tell us how awesome they are? And even if they did that you'd have people complaining about the ads being arrogant. Like that article on The Verge that poked fun at all the superlatives Apple used during the WWDC keynote.

They did show people using Apple products in previous ads - I was thinking about the iPad ads which focusses on the product but it was very much a lifestyle ad, slow and contemplative. This new ad also shows people using the products but now as a very natural extension of every day life. I think it is good, myself.

 

I agree that this campaign is a response to the Samsung et all approach. It speaks to quality and true value as opposed to gimmicky, ad as you say 'flooding the market'.

 

Yes, Apple products should, and do, speak for themselves. But there is nothing wrong with creating excitement and buzz. Like the silhouette / earbuds iPod ads did in their time. The self congratulatory stream of superlatives must stop. That is for sure. It starts being counter productive after a while.

post #74 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

500, that's the number of viewers they surveyed.

There are questions about whether the Nielsen pool of 25k is enough to be statistically sound. 500 can't possibly be

I know I'm not helping by agreeing with a potentially flawed survey, but I do agree with this one. I felt annoyed when I first saw the 'California' ad. Annoyed that Apple would waste my time as a viewer by congratulating themselves in a long form ad.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #75 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently. More advertising missteps, releasing a very rough, unpolished looking beta-level iOS 7 for developers... Frankly, these are troubling for a variety of reasons. Primarily it indicates to me that the push for "insanely great" every time is fast becoming "good enough...I'll fix it tomorrow".

That kind of thinking might be OK at Microsoft, but it doesn't work at Apple. People need to start getting fired. I'm seeing less urgency at Apple now.
In case you forgot, someone did get fired last year. Also lets not forget it was Jobs who promoted Cook to CEO and gave Ive more operational power than anyone else. So maybe Steve's the one who needs to be fired....of course Apple can't do that because he's dead.
post #76 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post


Just about every large company and every government branch is run by a bunch of old, white, American men. Did you just notice this first with Apple?

 

Not true, and no.  You're showing your bias inadvertently here.  You mean to say almost every large American company.  

 

Many of the largest companies in the world are neither American, nor have "white guys" filling any substantial part or their workforce or leadership. 

post #77 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Prior to this ad campaign how much was Apple really doing that? I don't remember any ads from 2011, 2012 or even earlier in 2013 really following this formula. Sure the two iPhone ads they released might have been on the quieter side. But they were focused on people using Apple's products. I get the sense this ad campaign is a response to the critics (wall street and others) that are essentially going after Apple for not being Samsung and not flooding the market with product every other day. Apple is basically saying they focus on a few great things that take time and that won't be changing any time soon.

These ads might not resonate with the general public, but I'm not sure that the average joe seeing it on TV would automatically think smug or arrogant. Maybe boring. Also couldn't one argue that the products speak for themselves and Apple shouldn't have to tell us how awesome they are? And even if they did that you'd have people complaining about the ads being arrogant. Like that article on The Verge that poked fun at all the superlatives Apple used during the WWDC keynote.

Finally, the point of the ad. As you say, it's a response to Samsung's promiscuous screen-size churn. Koreans don't care if you can actually use their junk. Only designers in California care about life enhancement, because they live in a place devoted to life enhancement for generations. Sort of like the south of France, only with more narcissism and less history.

There's some truth to this, but how obnoxious it must seem to anyone not in California. I think they should drop the geography real quick, except for the box and the back of the device. They may have already ruined the phrase by putting it on TV.
post #78 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is the thing that I keep coming to again and again lately.  Of course Americans care, but they are literally the only ones.  The rabid "must be made in America" thing is tired, old, and borderline offensive to most of their target audience, yet Apple has that typical american blindness about this fact.  To double-down on "made in America in the early stages of the 21st century is just lame and dumb IMO.  

Imagine for a moment that it's an alternate universe and the tag line is "Made entirely by white people."  It's the same thing.  

Because we are fast approaching a "post-racial" society around the world, "made by whites" seems like an offensive and artificial separation (and it is), but from the point of view of a globalist or anyone who considers themselves a citizen of the 21st century, "Made in California in the good old USA" is just as divisive, and just as offensive.  In a very short time this will seem like parochial nonsense at best, and prejudice at it's worst.  

All it is, is separating one group from another and saying "we're better."  How is that ever a good advertising message?  How is saying (essentially) "Made by people that are better than you," to the majority of their customers a smart move?  All this crap about "Mavericks" and California is the same thing.  Essentially they are saying "Made in a place better than where you live."

Who gives a shit where something was made?  We want to know that it was made ethically, but most folks under 30 don't give a crap about "made in America."  

Wow you seriously seem to have issues with America and white people. And it's funny you say people don't give a crap about made in America when all we've been hearing for the last year is whining about why Apple can't build iPhones in the USA.
post #79 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I thought these ads were done by Chiat Day? Also, what does being white and American have to do with anything? Apple was run by white, American men when Steve Jobs ran the show. I don't remember people complaining then. 1rolleyes.gif

 

I would argue that the original Apple Computer was far more inclusive than today's Apple is for starters.  I would agree that the Apple workforce today also is very inclusive.  

I'm saying they need some non-white, non-male, non-old people at the top making decisions.  They are all good guys, they just have that blindness that any group of almost identical leaders would have when they all get together and decide stuff.  

 

Not their fault, just human nature.  Especially when you get older.  

post #80 of 265

That ad reminds me so much of Reagan's Morning In America ad...

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-IBF8nwSY

 

It makes it difficult for me to watch... 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey