or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn announces iPhone-compatible smart watch

Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn announces iPhone-compatible smart watch

post #1 of 39
Hon Hai Precision, better known as Foxconn, revealed on Wednesday that it will be releasing a smart watch that can interface with Apple's iPhone.

Foxconn Watch
Source: Want China Times

Foxconn's announcement, as reported by Want China Times, comes amidst rumors that Google, Samsung and Apple are actively preparing to launch their own wrist-based smart device sometime in the near future.

The product has yet to be named, but Foxconn outlined some of its features at a shareholders meeting. The device can measure a user's respiration and hearbeat, as well as check phone calls and Facebook posts, all over a wireless interface. While not specified, the unit most likely sends data over Bluetooth 4.0, a low-energy protocol used in many small form factor peripherals.

"With such a device, you can keep your phone in your pocket and simply check all kinds of messages on your watch," Hon Hai chairman Terry Gou said.

According to Gou, the company is working with its communications and medical research groups to add additional features like a fingerprint reader. The firm is looking to position the smart watch as a new driver of income as it slowly moves into marketing its own products.

Apple is widely rumored to be mulling an entry into the wearable computing sector with its own watch-like device, with some even speculating that the product will focus on biometrics.
post #2 of 39
Right. Because we know how good their software is right? /s
post #3 of 39
Apple should be extremely clear with them: if you get into the consumer space and compete with us, you risk losing a substantial part or all of our business

In the meantime, Apple needs to be ramping up alternative suppliers. Like Samsung, it cannot be beholden to a single supplier or partner

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #4 of 39
Either this is with Apple's "permission ", or another supplier is fixing to screw them.
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Apple should be extremely clear with them: if you get into the consumer space and compete with us, you risk losing a substantial part or all of our business

In the meantime, Apple needs to be ramping up alternative suppliers. Like Samsung, it cannot be beholden to a single supplier or partner

Last I checked Apple doesn't make a watch nor has announced one. If Foxconn is first to market then Apple would be competing with them not vice versa.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #6 of 39
Another stab in the back for Apple. Likely Foxconn had some insight information about the iWatch and now they don't want to wait for Apple's order anymore.
post #7 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax44 View Post

Either this is with Apple's "permission ", or another supplier is fixing to screw them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Another stab in the back for Apple. Likely Foxconn had some insight information about the iWatch and now they don't want to wait for Apple's order anymore.

Uh... Apple has no watch, "smart" or otherwise.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 39
Let's hope Foxconn doesn't become the new Samsung.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #9 of 39

Companies now a days shooting all over the place to front run Apple. They used to copy their products but now they are even after their future product ideas lol

post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Companies now a days shooting all over the place to front run Apple. They used to copy their products but now they are even after their future product ideas lol

How many of these so called 'ideas' have come to fruition? Last year it was Samsung copying Apple's so called iTV with their Smart TVs.
post #11 of 39

When did Apple invent the smart watch?  I thought that was Sony's thing.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If Apple is working on a phone in their normal secret way, there is one company that might have info on what they are doing.  The company that will build them.  

post #13 of 39
Quote:

Apple also didn't invent the smartphone or tablet, they just elevated it to a whole new level.

Also, with your username and contrarian posting style... What purpose do you have being on an Apple centric site?
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Apple also didn't invent the smartphone or tablet, they just elevated it to a whole new level.

Also, with your username and contrarian posting style... What purpose do you have being on an Apple centric site?

He is right, SonyEricsson went there over six years ago, things have changed a lot since then, the iPhone didn't even exist.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

He is right, SonyEricsson went there over six years ago, things have changed a lot since then, the iPhone didn't even exist.

I'm not disputing that Sony "lead the way" with the smart watch. But at this point, smart watches are about as big as tablets were pre-iPad.
post #16 of 39
Quote:

What purpose do you have being on an Apple centric site?

I'm a mobile tech fan and I'm here to read about all things mobile device related. 

What's your purpose for being at this site?  :P

Edited by DroidFTW - 6/27/13 at 9:10pm
post #17 of 39
Quote:

I'm a mobile tech fan(...)

C'mon, let's be truthful, now. With that user name, you're a biased mobile tech fan, right?

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

C'mon, let's be truthful, now. With that user name, you're a biased mobile tech fan, right?

Aren't we all biased mobile tech fans?  It's true that I'm an Android user if that's what you're getting at.

I think both are fine OS's.  I can appreciate the ecosystem that Apple has created with iOS and I can appreciate the Android ecosystem.  I don't think one is inherently better than the other.  Both have their pros and cons.  Android fits me better just like iOS fits better for other people.

In the end I'm here to learn.  I also read Android related websites and you can't get the full story that way.  I don't know if you've noticed or not, but people really get crazy with the iOS vs. Android thing!  lol.gif

post #19 of 39
Quote:

Aren't we all biased mobile tech fans?  It's true that I'm an Android user if that's what you're getting at.

I think both are fine OS's.  I can appreciate the ecosystem that Apple has created with iOS and I can appreciate the Android ecosystem.  I don't think one is inherently better than the other.  Both have their pros and cons.  Android fits me better just like iOS fits better for other people.

Hey dude, here's my Nexus 4 with key lime pie:-

post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Exactly....they(competitors) are rushing to market with a product Apple hasn't announced they are going to make.....

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey dude, here's my Nexus 4 with key lime pie:-

Nice......I am going to take a pic like that with my Galaxy S4 tomorrow at breakfast at IHOP and post it the Android forums i follow....

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #22 of 39
Pffft. Apple can't get an iPhone with a bigger screen to market.

They won't have a watch for years at this rate. If ever.

The competition might or might not be better. But they sure as heck are faster.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Pffft. Apple can't get an iPhone with a bigger screen to market.

They won't have a watch for years at this rate. If ever.

The competition might or might not be better. But they sure as heck are faster.

They current iPhone was a bigger screen than previous.

Remember when baseball was America's pastime? Now it's Bitching

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #24 of 39
Foxconn = Vizio's second largest shareholder.
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.- Marshall McLuhan

Join 'The New Middle Class Movement' @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ne...45269528896164
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Uh... Apple has no watch, "smart" or otherwise.

And you know this for sure how?

How do you know that they haven't commissioned Foxconn to make an iwatch before this announcement?
I'm quite sure they are privy to a fair bit of apple inside info.
post #26 of 39
Quote:

I'm a mobile tech fan and I'm here to read about all things mobile device related. 

Pathetic. What a sad life.

post #27 of 39
It goes without saying that Apple needs to be VERY careful with its component suppliers, patents and well worded LEGALLY binding contracts may not be enough.

There may come a day when those suppliers (Samsung/LG/Foxconn etc) say "if you don't like us, find another manufacturer who can do it better".

Short of manufacturing it themselves Apple are at the mercy of their competitors.
post #28 of 39
Quote:

Oh, perhaps Apple can build all gadgets on US, paying the same salary of the chinese/korean workers...
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

They current iPhone was a bigger screen than previous.

Remember when baseball was America's pastime? Now it's Bitching

True that.
post #30 of 39

Apple should rumor the iToilet and watch everyone else try to be first to the market with their own toilet.

post #31 of 39
http://orsto.com --> that's a smartwatch. Everything else is a phone wrist companion, at best.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

And you know this for sure how?

How do you know that they haven't commissioned Foxconn to make an iwatch before this announcement?
I'm quite sure they are privy to a fair bit of apple inside info.

They have no watches announced or for sale. Clear enough?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Last I checked Apple doesn't make a watch nor has announced one. If Foxconn is first to market then Apple would be competing with them not vice versa.

Not if you are the 'effing manufacturer of the device.

It means you are cloning something that got handed you in a condition of trust. And if your scruples are that bad, you can delay production.

There needs to be new consideration on this "first to market" for copyright and patent when it's Samsung or FoxConn ripping of companies in a privileged relationship.

I'd hope that other companies shun them in the future -- but with FoxConn, it's not clear that would be possible.

Hopefully this isn't another Samsung-style ripoff and it's a different product than they are producing for Apple. If not, well, here goes the corporate war we've all worried about.

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherless One View Post

It goes without saying that Apple needs to be VERY careful with its component suppliers, patents and well worded LEGALLY binding contracts may not be enough.

There may come a day when those suppliers (Samsung/LG/Foxconn etc) say "if you don't like us, find another manufacturer who can do it better".

Short of manufacturing it themselves Apple are at the mercy of their competitors.

It's another clear example of how LOW TARIFFS have actually hurt our economy and economic power.

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Not if you are the 'effing manufacturer of the device.

It means you are cloning something that got handed you in a condition of trust. And if your scruples are that bad, you can delay production.

There needs to be new consideration on this "first to market" for copyright and patent when it's Samsung or FoxConn ripping of companies in a privileged relationship.

I'd hope that other companies shun them in the future -- but with FoxConn, it's not clear that would be possible.

Hopefully this isn't another Samsung-style ripoff and it's a different product than they are producing for Apple. If not, well, here goes the corporate war we've all worried about.

IF....everything you just said is true....then Foxconn will be in a world of hurt. I highly doubt Apple gave Foxconn or anyone else info about their product without having legal documents zipped up so tight that they could not even mention the product.

Think about it....Foxconn would be ruined......most of their business is making products for other companies. If they could not be trusted then.....no one would use them anymore to make their product because they could not be trusted. If what you say is true then Foxconn would be putting their whole company on the line to copy and not yet announced or released Apple product. Apple could sue them into bankruptcy. No one else would use them to make products and they would go out of business.....

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

IF....everything you just said is true....then Foxconn will be in a world of hurt. I highly doubt Apple gave Foxconn or anyone else info about their product without having legal documents zipped up so tight that they could not even mention the product.
Think about it....Foxconn would be ruined......most of their business is making products for other companies. If they could not be trusted then.....no one would use them anymore to make their product because they could not be trusted. If what you say is true then Foxconn would be putting their whole company on the line to copy and not yet announced or released Apple product. Apple could sue them into bankruptcy. No one else would use them to make products and they would go out of business.....

Because that's what happened to Samsung, right?
post #37 of 39
Quote:

Because that's what happened to Samsung, right?

Exactly my point! Do you not think Apple learned from that and changed their legal contracts to be even more strict? Plus Foxconn is not the conglomerate that Samsung is......they cannot take the loss of business that a legal spat with Apple would cost them. Let alone the legal costs and loss of reputation any fight with Apple would cost them. Think about it.....if your whole business is making parts for other companies..........would you risk your business just to make a watch? IF so then you better make damn sure that watch will turn the business world around and set the world on fire with sales that would make up for everything else you risk losing........You better make soooooo much money from this watch that it will make up for loss of future business and legal woes a war with Apple will cost you.

You are assuming Apple will make the same mistakes with another supplier. You are assuming Apple will not have the contracts worded to prevent Foxconn from releasing a competing product on their own as a condition for getting Apple's business.

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

It would be a different situation.

In your fantasy scenario, Foxconn rips off an Apple watch design that perhaps Foxconn built prototypes of, right?   In other words, they would know details.

OTOH, Samsung didn't manufacture iPhones.  They only supplied chips at first. No display.  No touchscreen. No case.  No radio chips.   So they would not know what the case or UI design looked like, or even that it was phone and not just an iPod.  They only got to see one after Apple went to market. 

Actually, it would be a little surprising if Foxconn made prototypes of a really new product.  Apple likes secrecy too much.

post #39 of 39
Just about every watch works with the iPhone... The HOT smart watch on kickstarter works with Siri and allows for a private phone call. The kickstarter is already way over the goal and ships this fall, that's the route i'm going.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn announces iPhone-compatible smart watch