or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Report: Google prepping Android smart watch and game console to counter Apple

Report: Google prepping Android smart watch and game console to counter Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybfmiami View Post

Apple is completely out of touch.

Out of touch, as in sold out all it's iPod Touches?

Or made the entire front face of it's smartphone touch (well, except for the home button), so it is out of real estate that can be touch sensitive on the phone?

I simply refuse to believe that you are not joking. You sound really clever....

post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They'll fail, just like they've failed with Android, but that's their MO.

Actually, Android's not a commercial failure.

I believe MS gets something like $4 a pop for some patent rights they asserted. 

1smile.gif

(And someone can correct me on this - at one point I thought I heard Apple gets a minor amount as well??)

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I think Apple has a great game plan if what I hope is happening is actually taking place, and that is; building technology that others can't get. Such as custom processors with design/features that would take a couple years to duplicate, which by then, you have the next iteration. Battery technology that puts your products in a league others won't be able to obtain over the next 1-3 years. Just two examples of many. If you can stay far enough ahead of competition, they wither away. 

So, you believe your "hopes" is reality. It is not! It's just you dreaming. Apple certainly has the money to make aggressive, advanced research but they are not doing it. Apple is afraid of taking risks. All of their "research" is how to make the iphone "thinner"! They just sit on that pile of cash. Apple actualy spend less than others on research! They spend a lot of cash on marketing instead. They could spend 50 billion on battery technology and make a breakthrough in the field, but they aren't doing it. They don't want to take risks! Apple likes too much the cash! Wake up from your dreams!

post #44 of 67
And just in case, they're prepping Google Toothpaste and Google Beach Towels.
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Apple actualy spend less than others on research! They spend a lot of cash on marketing instead...

Samsung spend more on marketing than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft and Coca Cola combined...

...is your Android fridge running?

Well you'd better go and catch it before it gets away.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #46 of 67
Google is always innovative when getting innovation from somebody
post #47 of 67
Remember when Microsoft used to tease vaporware product launches many months/years in advance? I guess it's Googles turn
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post

It would be so interesting I wouldn't be able to contain myself and sell my iPhone out of pure excitement. Sorry, some of us are iPhone and Google fans all at the same time. Didn't get the memo I had to hate one of them because Jobs and Schmidt got into a slap fight a few years ago. Please don't let Android's 75%+ market share make that heart so cold and bitter guys, there's plenty of great Google services on the iPhone. In fact, we get almost 90% of Google's features including their awesome Google Now search. 

You could change it back to Google if Bing was the default.
Quote:

Apple past? What Apple past? There is no "Apple past" or "Apple way"! There was just "Steve Jobs way" and I have bad news for you, Steve Jobs is DEAD! And I have more bad news for you. You can not teach Genius! No more Steve Jobs, no more "Apple way"!

You forgot the sarcasm tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Look up the definition of enterprise value.  Then laugh at yourself.

EV values debt is that tells you how much it's crap. It's only useful for acquiring companies.
Quote:

So, you believe your "hopes" is reality. It is not! It's just you dreaming. Apple certainly has the money to make aggressive, advanced research but they are not doing it. Apple is afraid of taking risks. All of their "research" is how to make the iphone "thinner"! They just sit on that pile of cash. Apple actualy spend less than others on research! They spend a lot of cash on marketing instead. They could spend 50 billion on battery technology and make a breakthrough in the field, but they aren't doing it. They don't want to take risks! Apple likes too much the cash! Wake up from your dreams!

Again, the sarcasm tag was forgotten. Perhaps you didn't see iOS 7, the MacPro, or anything else in recent history.
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Remember when Microsoft used to tease vaporware product launches many months/years in advance? I guess it's Googles turn

Just like with Apple, it's not Google claiming a smartwatch is imminent. Just another vaporware rumor like iWatch or 4K iTV.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Actually, Android's not a commercial failure.

That's correct.  Since it's not sold as a product, it wasn't intended to be a commercial success in that sense.  It's not like Microsoft with Windows.

Quote:

I believe MS gets something like $4 a pop for some patent rights they asserted. 1smile.gif

Yep.  HTC, Samsung and Hon Hai (the parent company of Foxconn) have all signed licensing agreements with Microsoft.  AFAIK, Google and Motorola have not.

Quote:

(And someone can correct me on this - at one point I thought I heard Apple gets a minor amount as well??)

Google pays various entities a fee to make them the default search engine.  For instance, the Mozilla Foundation gets a few hundred million dollars a year for that.

Likewise, Apple also sells their default search engine spot.  They likely pit Microsoft against Google, to get the price up.  Reportedly Google paid only $82 million in 2009 for the privilege, but analysts think that figure is heading towards $1 billion next year, being partly based on device numbers.

post #51 of 67

I love how Google just throws things against the wall. No one ever said that Apple is definitely releasing a watch or a game console. I bet they both fail...

post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I believe MS gets something like $4 a pop for some patent rights they asserted. 

MS gets royalties from pretty much every Android vendor out there, except for Motorola who has been battling MS in court and losing spectacularly. Even heavy-hitters like Samsung have signed up. However, nobody knows how much MS is getting per device. There have been figures from $4 to $15 thrown around, but since MS makes sure there's an NDA, we never find out.

The real issue isn't how much MS makes per device - it's that Google is giving away a "free, open source" OS that contains IP that belongs to MS. Worse yet, instead of Google taking a single license from MS and indemnifying OEM's they left all their OEM's out to dry so they had to each make individual deals with MS. This is a pattern with Google. They also stated that WebM video was "free from patent encumbrances". Recently they settled with MPEG-LA but still have on-going legal issues with Nokia and others about VP8 and VP9. Again, just another example of Google giving away stuff it claims is free without checking for any possible patent infringement (or securing licenses for same).

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #53 of 67

On another note, I love how companies spend so much time trying to "predict" what Apple might be doing and beating them to market. Remember Smart TV's last year when the Apple TV rumors really started picking up? Apple is the elephant in the room even when they're doing/announcing nothing.

post #54 of 67
Quote:

Apple now a company run by out of touch middle aged white American males, completely out of touch with those not like them. Why else would they hire John Malcovich as a IPhone spokesperson while Samsung has LeBron James. Apple is completely out of touch.

'Kay. Shut up and go away, now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think Apple blew it by not opening up the App Store to Apple TV this year.

The Apple TV has been open to the App Store for two years now. It would not be "better" to have apps "on" the Apple TV. It would be objectively worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Dear Google: Apple already patented everything in their product. Good luck with that.

Dear Apple,

We don't care. We'll just get the courts to say your patents don't matter.

Sincerely, Google.
Quote:

Apple past? What Apple past? There is no "Apple past" or "Apple way"! There was just "Steve Jobs way" and I have bad news for you, Steve Jobs is DEAD! And I have more bad news for you. You can not teach Genius! No more Steve Jobs, no more "Apple way"!

/s

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #55 of 67
Says a lot about a company when it starts a fight against imaginary products. Also says a lot about a company that its imaginary products have more heft then other companies' corporeal products.
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

MS gets royalties from pretty much every Android vendor out there, except for Motorola who has been battling MS in court and losing spectacularly. Even heavy-hitters like Samsung have signed up. However, nobody knows how much MS is getting per device. There have been figures from $4 to $15 thrown around, but since MS makes sure there's an NDA, we never find out.

The real issue isn't how much MS makes per device - it's that Google is giving away a "free, open source" OS that contains IP that belongs to MS.

No one knows that. MS insists on keeping the patents "secret" that they claim might be infringed by Android. By requiring an NDA before even beginning negotiations they keep the patent claims from being challenged before licenses are offered. In truth there may not be any big issues with Android and Microsoft IP to begin with. More than one article has suggested that MS is for the most part simply recycling old patent claims made against Linux a few years ago and already dismissed as not applicable. They got smarter this time and won't reveal what they are in advance of an NDA.

As far as rumors of how much licensees are paying for the MS patent package the $Billion dollar numbers might be spread by MS themselves to assist in negotiations with remaining potential licensees. Because both the patents and license fees are kept under wraps I personally suspect the actual royalties being negotiated are on the low side. Keep the royalties small enough and it's not worth the legal fees to fight them, which I think is what's going on. Barnes & Noble is the only one I can think of to take it to as far as court and MS threw money at them, essentially reverse payments, to keep them quiet about the patents at stake. Seems like it was several hundred million dollars MS invested in B&N last fall IIRC.
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/28/13 at 9:07am
post #57 of 67

I heavily doubt Google is developing a watch or a gaming console. I consider this nothing more than analyst bunk along the lines of an Apple watch, Apple television set, low-cost iPhone, etc.

post #58 of 67
It would be so cool if Apple had decided long ago that a watch was a dead end, but continued to use it as a decoy to mask development of an entirely new game-changing product category.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Feel free to enlighten me, but however they phrased it, they clearly had an anti apple agenda.

Edit: I bet Murdoch is pissed about all the money he lost with The Daily.

Sorry, I should have just linked this last night but I was tired.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/enterprisevalue.asp

post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Google is always innovative when getting innovation from somebody

Innovation might be the most overused and misunderstood word this decade. Period. The amount of snark you demonstrate because a competing company competes makes my skin crawl. There are OTHER smart watches on the market, and they are mainly used for exercise. Apple/Google isn't beating anyone into this market, there is no 'innovation' that we know of yet, because we don't know anything.

Android already HAS a gaming console in the market it's the community sponsored Ouya. Apple/Google wont be beating anyone into this market either, and a lot of the functions and features will most likely be similar and will use a gamepad (according to specifications listed on this website). 

Honestly I don't think talking at people like you ever works. I might as well beat my head against the wall. 

--

Also if Google isn't innovative, WTF is Google Glass then? 

Why is Safari implementing the exact same architectural changes to Safari that Chrome has, not to mention the similar way in which tabbing now works in iOS? 

Why is iOS7 entirely playing catchup to Jelly Bean down to the very font design? 

Editing documents in the cloud? That sounds familiar.

There's nothing forward thinking in today's Apple. But that doesn't mean their products are bad. In fact I think they are better and more refined than Google for the most part, which is why I use an iPhone 5, iPad (3rd gen) over an android. I prefer the smooth performance, excellent app support and games support. I don't pretend for a moment that Apple and their products are just always cutting edge and redefining the industry. In fact, they've been leading from behind for awhile now. That's the price of financial success.

Edited by koop - 6/28/13 at 10:33am
post #61 of 67
Quote:

Apple now a company run by out of touch middle aged white American males, completely out of touch with those not like them. Why else would they hire John Malcovich as a IPhone spokesperson while Samsung has LeBron James. Apple is completely out of touch.

Dismissing Apple's leadership because of their race, gender and age? Take that somewhere else. Like an Android forum, where those kinds of ad hominem arguments against Apple are encouraged.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I heavily doubt Google is developing a watch or a gaming console. I consider this nothing more than analyst bunk along the lines of an Apple watch, Apple television set, low-cost iPhone, etc.

Gaming is interesting rumor because Google wouldn't follow the same model as Sony and Microsoft where they have exclusive content and everything is a Walled Garden (which is only a negative thing when Apple does it), They'd open it up, but then all it would be is Android with some APIs for SDKs for game development, and perhaps some minimum spec on hardware. It's strategic to their Android smartphone/tablet platform, but if they pursue a TV-connected device like OUYA, how would they monetize it? Selling hardware at a profit? In-game ads? Taking a cut of every game sold? I don't understand how they'll profit from games.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

Android already HAS a gaming console in the market it's the community sponsored Ouya. Apple/Google wont be beating anyone into this market either, and a lot of the functions and features will most likely be similar and will use a gamepad (according to specifications listed on this website). 

--

Why is Safari implementing the exact same architectural changes to Safari that Chrome has, not to mention the similar way in which tabbing now works in iOS? 

Tabbing in iOS - You mean the cover flow like method of changing pages?   The same type of cover flow that Apple has already been using for years? Or switching apps that works just like the current version of Safari?

Android gaming device - iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad...all portable gaming devices.

post #64 of 67
Quote:

If Apple is not spending money on R&D, but only marketing, would that not itself be a risk? 

Why does a company have to spend more on R&D to get more innovation out of it? Would not having the best people, most creative minds be better? 

Battery tech has not changed much in recent times, and I am sure many people are working on the next big battery tech to patent, not just Apple. If spending money equated to finding solutions, cancer would have been cured years ago. 

post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

On another note, I love how companies spend so much time trying to "predict" what Apple might be doing and beating them to market. Remember Smart TV's last year when the Apple TV rumors really started picking up? Apple is the elephant in the room even when they're doing/announcing nothing.

Yea because Samsung was able to produce Smart TVs immediately after it was rumored that Apple would make a TV.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I wonder...

How many punches will Apple hope to avoid against: Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Samsung, Blackberry, Dell, Hp, Motorola, Lenovo, Asus, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, HTC, Carriers, Wall Street, etc?
What the f*ck are they doing, always so defensive? When will they start to punch back, again?

F*ck the lawsuits, it doesn't matter and solves nothing. With the corrupt system and the corrupt countries of China and USA, they might even lose more than they thought!

Apple is the enemy number 1 of all those companies... They might avoid most of those punches, but they will suffer, one by one, slowly, more and more... And eventually die. Apple has no future (talking about 10 to 20 years, not the "tomorrow" crap) like this. Apple (and what it represents) is too precious to be lost like a Dell or something. Remember the lack of innovation from the nineties and what we have now, thanks to them?

There's only one way for Apple to win the long term game and became immune to these punches: Fight Back. (and before the other guy from the other thread talks about research, the other's combined are much bigger).

How does  fight back?
  1.  Do everything you can to build a search engine and use it as default on your devices and available cross platform, it will hurt google a lot. Invest a lot, create chaos, risk billions on it. Money on a safe somewhere is nothing. If used, it becomes an opportunity.
  2.  Do a "google" with Microsoft and Android, put your services there and profit from those ecosystems. It doesn't have to be everything, but enough to profit and "lock" users (example, itunes ecosystem on android and windows 8/xBox, even port safari).
  3. xCode for Windows and/or Linux. Many devs as possible. How many thousands of young Devs go to android first because they don't have/don't want/cannot afford a Mac?
  4. Global Apple.com with free shipping. Sell every sort of  stuff from your main site. Global iTunes ecosystem, not "US" or "UK" store, everything global.
  5. Different iPhone lines with different sizes, even if only premium-priced.
  6. Sell at cost (or less) your hardware to schools around the word, the most important thing. Better education, great investment, long-term profit.
  7. Kill Microsoft office and other standards by aggressively competing with them. It doesn't have to be better, it needs to break the monopoly.
  8. More focus on the current software.
  9. Create iBank.
1) apple using its own search engine would probably head same was as bing is, google had it way to good and long and there is not many "newer or better" technology out there than google search
2) iWork for icloud is currently that stage (compete ting with google docs almost, just wonder if "iWork" is required on devices or not) hopefully will go farther like iTunes app for windows phone and google ok.
3)apple figures it unnecessary and will likely be come less needful (you need device to create app don't you?)
4)don't know how government would accept that
5)hope that but apple really like 1 device for all earth not 5
6)that's there goal
7)out of date people and people avoiding charts for loyalty will still exists (only way possible is free iWork [iWork for iCloud] on all devices)
8)what do you think IOS 7 is?
9)what the flip is iBank?
post #67 of 67
Oh yeah this google thing sounds like Microsoft battle before apple,
1st Apple Controller (TV) probably means that apple is going to turn it into a $100 game system with controls and tablet support to make it help even further the gaming industry hopefully apple will have it with a SSD built in and USB drive support (think how easy to kill feast of game industry with one final blow) Of corse this means App Store for Apple TV appear up (for most people hoping for App Store on it now have not thought of lack of internal memory apparently)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Report: Google prepping Android smart watch and game console to counter Apple