or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BlackBerry sees quarterly loss of $84M on shipments of 2.7M BB10 phones

BlackBerry sees quarterly loss of $84M on shipments of 2.7M BB10 phones - Page 2

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

...why switch to the iPhone copycat when you already own the original?

Ask an Android user. They're probably not all Anti-Apple Imbeciles.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #42 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Samsung is well position for mobile devices and TV integration. They have 1080p phones and they are a TV manufacturer leader. There problem is software, they cant integrate everything without Google. And Google could backstap them with a Nexus phone and Nexus TV. Apple strengh is complete control, as long as they do something with it, like before I die of old age.

HTC, Sony and others beat Samsung to market with 1080p displays.

Why is this iterative upgrade such a big "innovation"?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #43 of 95
Quote:

Unless the goal behind iOS 7 is multiple resolution scalability and easy adaptation to a broad range of devices, I dont see it a has major innovation. If its just to follow the flat interface trend for cosmetic reasons, its pretty dissapointing imo.

People see the cosmetic changes and forget about the new features like airdrop, control center, new multitasking, notification sync, camera modes/filter, to name a few..
I think ios7 has just as many new features as ios6 did when it was introduced.. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
post #44 of 95
Quote:

Will it be nice, great or a revolution?  The market is pricing the stock for the worst case scenario, which is an iphone 5s, a retina ipad mini and a new ipad 5. I think if Apple enter a significant new market like mobile games, console games or TV, then we get a rebound. Otherwise is more EPS declines, more unit sales declines and more market share lost.

Apple will enter new significant markets. Mobile payment and health market are almost a certainty. But when? Who knows?
post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

HTC, Sony and others beat Samsung to market with 1080p displays.

Why is this iterative upgrade such a big "innovation"?

Apps that works (and look good) on all devices. For those companies problem is always software. If they put a layer up and do some coding, then you must have all of there devices for an integrated experience. If they let Google do it, then they are all the same and Google will come up with Nexus phones, tablets and TV's to compete with them. 

But with a flat scalable interface and a spritekits, Apple is positionning themselves into easy handles of multiple resolutions for devs. So doing a 720p or 1080p phone and have greats multi-device apps may be a non issue now.

post #46 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Apple will enter new significant markets. Mobile payment and health market are almost a certainty. But when? Who knows?

Yep, wearable devices is a great opportunity too. When is the question indeed.

I think mobile payment is this year big change for the iphone. NFC chip, fingerprint and solftware to go with it.  Partnership with a credit card and they are gold. Its a nice to have feature, but imo more screen sizes and market segment models is what they need the most.

Edited by herbapou - 6/28/13 at 9:44am
post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It's not so much about change, it's about knowing your core strengths and capitalizing on them. Steve Jobs knew this when he came back to Apple. Four main strengths he built the Apple of today on; branding, customer loyalty, design team, and media platform.

RIM should've expanded its messaging platform to other platforms much earlier on. Not only are they now dropping device sales, but eventually their innovative messaging service will disappear as well. Too many of their competitors have their own now - most damaging is iMessage. Which not only works across mobile devices but also their computers. Roughly 80% of the people I chat with on my iMac is done over Apple's iMessage service. And I see them eventually creating an online iMessage web app (as they have with iWork), so that Windows users can use the service.

In my opinion, if Apple offered more iCloud services via iCloud.com it would be game, set and match. FaceTime, iMessage and Maps might be the most critical services that are yet available cross platform.
post #48 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple is underestimating the importance of a big screen and is being slow to adapt to this reality.
Same thing happened to blackberry (keyboard vs keyboardless screen) 
If that's all it is it's an easy fix. Apple could field a range of screen sizes in very short order. Apple is not going to fail or become an also-ran in market share over screen size.

I go to the gym every day and most all have iPhones. Those that don't have Android with mostly normal sized screens. People aren't adopting giant-size phones in anything like the catastrophic BB scenario you suggest.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ask an Android user. They're probably not all Anti-Apple Imbeciles.

In my experience, Android users fall into three categories:

1. Anti-Apple Imbeciles
  • appalled at the "walled garden" proclaiming the open strategy of Google "winning" while disregarding the massive malware problem stating that the problem is "ID10T" users while the Anti-Apple Imbecile fails to acknowledge that limiting to Google Play isn't foolproof and locks the user into an ecosystem just like Apple
  • denounce Apple pricing strategy which clearly leads to market leading innovation
  • proclaim Apple is evil for using Chinese labor (not recognizing the vast majority of all electronics are finished in China)
  • tout "open source" while not recognizing that Apple is the first major technology company to use an open source strategy (same people are almost always Microsoft users)

2. Do not know better and an Anti-Apple Imbecile has used their standard false arguments

3. Do not know better and have listened to advertising and marketing including the commissioned sales person
Edited by MacBook Pro - 6/28/13 at 1:35pm
post #50 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I haven't ever seen Apple interested in the Health or Healthcare market. I am always looking for opportunities in my field at Apple.
post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I haven't ever seen Apple interested in the Health or Healthcare market. I am always looking for opportunities in my field at Apple.

Did you not see the Apple videos that they showed, that were highlighting different usages of iOS devices like iPad, and how they were being used in the healthcare/medical field?

I think that there was one even shown on the last keynote, where you saw some doctor in Africa or someplace, visiting patients and using their iPad as an essential tool.

post #52 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If that's all it is it's an easy fix. Apple could field a range of screen sizes in very short order. Apple is not going to fail or become an also-ran in market share over screen size.

I haven't seen any convincing argument in favor of larger screen size.
  • Apple competitors sell larger screen sizes because the devices originally required the space for the components, including battery as well as NFC and LTE components
  • Apple competitors found some success with larger devices because the larger devices had more features and functions as well as longer battery life; upon finding success the competitors began manufacturing millions of devices and spending heavily on advertising and marketing
  • Apple competitors do not now know how to design and manufacture a premium device in a smaller form factor and are fearful that if they did the product wouldn't sell as they have accustomed their customers to larger profiles which is why there aren't any smaller, premium devices from Apple competitors
post #53 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Did you not see the Apple videos that they showed, that were highlighting different usages of iOS devices like iPad, and how they were being used in the healthcare/medical field?

I think that there was one even shown on the last keynote, where you saw some doctor in Africa or someplace, visiting patients and using their iPad as an essential tool.

Apple itself isn't in the healthcare market nor does Apple have any apparent intention of competing in healthcare.

Apple has simply made a phenomenal product and services that can be employed by virtually any sector, healthcare being one sector for which developers have made many apps.
post #54 of 95
Quote:

Anti-Apple Imbeciles
  • appalled at the "walled garden" proclaiming the open strategy of Google "winning" while disregarding the massive malware problem stating that the problem is "ID10T" users while the Anti-Apple Imbecile fails to acknowledge that limiting to Google Play isn't foolproof and locks the user into an ecosystem just like Apple
  • denounce Apple pricing strategy which clearly leads to market leading innovation
  • proclaim Apple is evil for using Chinese labor (not recognizing the vast majority of all electronics are finished in China)
  • tout "open source" while not recognizing that Apple is the first major technology company to use an open source strategy (same people are almost always Microsoft users)

Do not know better and an Anti-Apple Imbecile has used their standard false arguments

Do not know better and have listened to advertising and marketing including the commissioned sales person

I have never seen a true open source OS initiative worked. Ubuntu is (was) manage by Mark Shuttleworth and Android may be free to use and modify, but its Google baby are there is no way in hell you are touching that code. You can only have the source of the complete release to play with.

Edited by herbapou - 6/28/13 at 9:38am
post #55 of 95
Quote:

Apple itself isn't in the healthcare market nor does Apple have any apparent intention of competing in healthcare.

Apple has simply made a phenomenal product and services that can be employed by virtually any sector, healthcare being one sector for which developers have made many apps.

Yes, of course Apple is not the one making any of those healthcare apps or software. Apple was just highlighting how their devices are being adopted and used by the healthcare and medical industry.

post #56 of 95
Quote:

Yes, of course Apple is not the one making any of those healthcare apps or software. Apple was just highlighting how their devices are being adopted and used by the healthcare and medical industry.

Indeed. Saying that Apple is in healthcare now is like saying Dell is in heathcare because hospitals are using PC's.

Wearable medical devices that connects to an iphone and send data to a monitor could be a play. Maybe an Apple branded watch like device you get when you are hospitalise that monitor and send data to the nurse desk monitors (imacs). Then doctors moving into a patient room could catch it live on there ipad while seeing the patient. Software and interface to handle tests results like xrays and MRI straight into the patient file on hospital servers. (macpro)

Edited by herbapou - 6/28/13 at 9:57am
post #57 of 95
Quote:

I have seen some hints. Plus TC is an exercise junkie. I predict we will see some neat gadget in a few years, if not sooner. If Apple makes wearable device, one of the sell point will be Health-related.
post #58 of 95
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Blackberry was slow to change and it cost them. They underestimated the iPhone. Apple doesn't underestimate the competition. It knows who it is. iOS 7 is a major change and I can't wait for new products that will use it. Apple adapts, others follow.

Still what's more surprising is that they still sell the play book.

Unless the goal behind iOS 7 is multiple resolution scalability and easy adaptation to a broad range of devices, I dont see it a has major innovation. If its just to follow the flat interface trend for cosmetic reasons, its pretty dissapointing imo.

Here are some interesting thoughts on the reasoning behind iOS7 *via Gruber):

http://www.marco.org/2013/06/27/ios7-as-defense

http://www.allenpike.com/2013/ios7-catch-me-if-you-can/

I did not do much experimentation with iOS7 before it became available on the iPad (Old Eyes & Fat Fingers). I was not very impressed. Once I got it on the iPads, my opinion changed. It's hard to describe, but the UI gets even more out of the way than prior iOS releases -- there is less between you and your stuff and what you want to do. The brouhaha about the UI, the icons, the starkness of the apps -- fades, as you quickly gain command of the... the... the.., whatever you you want to do.

We can start from a baseline of the iPhone in 2007, and assume that everyone knows and understands that incarnation of a touch UI as a given. But 6 years have passed -- a lifetime in technology.

iOS 7 is much, much more than a flatter interface -- it is a more up to date way to deal with the power and capabilities of today's devices -- and lays the groundwork for the next several years technology advances.

The two links above may be on the mark -- that Apple is setting a new standard, which will take the competition several years to attain...

Manny, Moe and Jack are on a bear hunting trip. The first night they are sitting around the fire in their cabin in the woods -- laying out their strategies for stalking... After a while, Moe says: "you're making it too complicated -- tomorrow, I'll show you how to catch a bear, by myself... with no weapon".

The next morning, Moe tells Manny and Jack: "I am going into the woods, unarmed to find a bear and get him to chase me. I'll run back the cabin -- when I get close I'll start yelling...".

So Moe sets out and before long they hear this great commotion. Manny and Jack look out the window and see Moe being chased by this humongous bear.

Moe runs up on the porch with the bear close on his heals... At the last moment, Moe opens the door, and leaps aside as the bear goes crashing by him into the cabin...

Moe jumps back and slams the door, yelling: "You guys skin that one, and I'll go catch another!"
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #59 of 95
I have yet to talk to friend with iOS 7 complaining about it's new capabilities. Quite the contrary. They love the performance and function. Style needs a lot of polish, but the engine got a major upgrade.
post #60 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's what the phone can do. BBs were perfect when all people wanted to do was make calls, BBM, and email. SJ initially thought that the iPhone was complete until he was convinced to allow apps. Allowing devs to make the device that much better is what makes the iPhone as close to perfection as a phone can get.

What? Are you sure? They allow phone calls on an iPhone now?

Seriously, I have 3 teen-aged grandkids with iPhones -- I suspect that less than 5% of what they do on these devices involves phone calls. Texting, FaceTime, Social... sure -- but telephone calls? That's so 1875!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I have yet to talk to friend with iOS 7 complaining about it's new capabilities. Quite the contrary. They love the performance and function. Style needs a lot of polish, but the engine got a major upgrade.

Bingo! Best post of the day!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #62 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

They better hurry up and do something or they may have to add a few more "B's" to their name

BlackBerryBeBankrupt
Quote:
There was a young fellow named Beebe,
   Fell in love with a girl named Phoebe,
Said he I must see, What the clerical fee, be
  before Phoebe be Phoebe Beebe.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I did not do much experimentation with iOS7 before it became available on the iPad (Old Eyes & Fat Fingers). I was not very impressed. Once I got it on the iPads, my opinion changed. It's hard to describe, but the UI gets even more out of the way than prior iOS releases -- there is less between you and your stuff and what you want to do. The brouhaha about the UI, the icons, the starkness of the apps -- fades, as you quickly gain command of the... the... the.., whatever you you want to do.

iOS 7 is much, much more than a flatter interface -- it is a more up to date way to deal with the power and capabilities of today's devices -- and lays the groundwork for the next several years technology advances.

Well, the flat interface concept is all about less UI and more functions. Maybe some people only see looks, but its all about functions. Looks like they made a decent job from you're comments.  It may lays the groundwork for more to come indeed, but unfortuanatly I am getting worried Apple can still really innovate. It sure looks like they are building the foundation of something, but they need to make something soon because inaction is hurting there image at the moment.

Look at market perception ATM: Quote from CNBC fast money

Quote:

"let's talk about apple. it's still trading below 400 bucks. pete, you have called this a second half story for the last -- for six months. i have been talking about this being a second half story. tim cooing is going to have to come through allotted more than he did at the conference. they did not deliver. tim cook didn't wow anybody and obviously there were a few updates given out there. jon has some background stair a little bit on possibly what's going on with the phone. i think they still have to compete with samsung with the bigger model phone. i think that's important because people are watching videos. they're doing everything. these are computers, they're not just phones anymore. that's a mistake and they're late to the party. they might be too late. if it doesn't happen within the next few months -- here is how i look at apple. it was the company that was three steps ahead. now it's the fat dog with the short legs running to keep up and it's not making it -- you're right. they're months behind. you have google coming out with the watch. google working on tv. they're late to the party and it's all about trend and fad and technology"

Apple should have seen the evolution of smartphone into small computers in 2011 and make 2 high end models for 2012. Instead it lock in into making the best possible 2007 concept of a smartphone and they are now behind.

Edited by herbapou - 6/28/13 at 10:55am
post #64 of 95
Quote:

Depends. If combined with game control APi's and an Apple TV that support games, then we have something. Otherwise all we will get is more games on the app stores. Well, with the combination of sizable flat interface, control api's and spritekit, we may get somewhere indeed.

If Apple nail the portable game market is will be nice. But if Apple put up something that revamp both the portable and console game markets, now we have something great. And if Apple revamp the portable game market, the game console market and the TV market in one blow, now we have a true revolution.

Will it be nice, great or a revolution?  The market is pricing the stock for the worst case scenario, which is an iphone 5s, a retina ipad mini and a new ipad 5. I think if Apple enter a significant new market like mobile games, console games or TV, then we get a rebound. Otherwise is more EPS declines, more unit sales declines and more market share lost.

I'm not sure how you figure this. Apple is not losing market share or unit shares and EPS drops seemed to be more the massive ramp ups need to support the new iPhone 5, retina laptops and new iMac.

You might be missing it, but Apple is already destroying the mobile game market and portable computer with a little thing called the iPhone.  Again, I think you are looking for a spec list and not an integration list. All of Apple's stuff that I saw on WWDC seemed pretty darned good and actually useful as opposed to say, Airtouch or "global panarama".

post #65 of 95
Compared with Apple , u know how stupid it is to dump AAPL at this level .
post #66 of 95

I don't get the nastiness here about RIM. Who knows, Apple could be next if you listen to some analysts...and the Samdroids.

post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

While admittedly not empirical data, I've been querying all of my daughter's finger popping, 20 something, iPhone owning hipster friends that she hangs out with and without exception they 'can't wait' to get iOS7 on their iPhones.   True, they may think something different when that actually happens, but I'm guessing all the doom and gloom purveyors predicting an iOS7 'fail' will soon learn that they are clutching their pocket protectors too tightly. 

post #68 of 95
Why the anal ists didn’t know this loss ? Aren’t they pro in checking the inventory channel ?
post #69 of 95
Will mr.market think blackberry can’t do well , neither will Apple ?

U know , Mr market loves to bullshit on Apple , what Mr.market says about Apple is something only stupid will trust .
post #70 of 95
Quote:

Well, the flat interface concept is all about less UI and more functions. Maybe some people only see looks, but its all about functions. Looks like they made a decent job from you're comments.  It may lays the groundwork for more to come indeed, but unfortuanatly I am getting worried Apple can still really innovate. It sure looks like they are building the foundation of something, but they need to make something soon because inaction is hurting there image at the moment.

Look at market perception ATM: Quote from CNBC fast money.

Apple should have seen the evolution of smartphone into small computers in 2011 and make 2 high end models for 2012. Instead it lock in into making the best possible 2007 concept of a smartphone and they are now behind.

So you can copy-n-paste... but you forgot to read where it's coming from! I mean really, they state their one and only goal in their byline... so I'm not taking their rant seriously in the least.

Your's either. Since you're closer physically, intellectually and strategically to those BB-Bums in Windsor, what ya say you stick to figuring out what you can do to help your countrymen. Because your understanding of Apple and what makes them tick and work, and them actually understanding what "skating to where the puck is going to be", leaves me skeptical if you know anything about... well... anything.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #71 of 95
Quote:

Look at market perception ATM: Quote from CNBC fast money

Yea, because analysts are always right. /s these are probably the same persons that said Apple missed the netbook revolution and derided the iPad as a big iPhone.

The iPhone is a small computer. What does size have to do with it.

What can the GS4 or HTC One do better than the iPhone? Nothing except contract malware.
post #72 of 95
Quote:

Blackberry is a total disaster, and if you check out the crackberry forum, as I have done in the past when I needed a few laughs, you'll quickly find out that many people who still support Blackberry, only do so because they're Canadian. How pathetic is that?lol.gif

Those people are totally deluded and they continue to make excuses for Blackberry, even though they've failed on many of the things that they've promised to deliver.

I've said this before, but Blackberry should quit the tech business and begin making maple syrup instead.

Well, if you consider the fact that Justin Bieber is Canadian, it doesn't surprise me.    I just couldn't resist.

post #73 of 95
Quote:

Yea, because analysts are always right. /s these are probably the same persons that said Apple missed the netbook revolution and derided the iPad as a big iPhone.

The iPhone is a small computer. What does size have to do with it.

What can the GS4 or HTC One do better than the iPhone? Nothing except contract malware.

You can root the OS and everything.   Plus, they have widgets.  Actually, the big thing they think Android is better is being able to modify the OS, transferring files back and forth to other devices, and a lot of the Android higher end models have built in MicroSD cards. 

post #74 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You can root the OS and everything.   Plus, they have widgets.  Actually, the big thing they think Android is better is being able to modify the OS, transferring files back and forth to other devices, and a lot of the Android higher end models have built in MicroSD cards. 

Because the everyday user is going to do any of that. I had a MicroSD card in my old phone. Never took it out. As for transferring files, throw it in Dropbox or airdrop.
post #75 of 95
Quote:

Because the everyday user is going to do any of that. I had a MicroSD card in my old phone. Never took it out. As for transferring files, throw it in Dropbox or airdrop.

I know, but try to tell an Android user.  

post #76 of 95
Quote:

Anti-Apple Imbeciles

Do not know better and an Anti-Apple Imbecile has used their standard false arguments

Do not know better and have listened to advertising and marketing including the commissioned sales person

You said 3 categories yet you listed 4, proofread next time. I would also add a great many people that stopped waiting for the iPhone to appear on their carrier and went to Android and stood with Android, and are not part of the 'Anti-Apple Brigade'.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #77 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

So you can copy-n-paste... but you forgot to read where it's coming from! I mean really, they state their one and only goal in their byline... so I'm not taking their rant seriously in the least.

Your's either. Since you're closer physically, intellectually and strategically to those BB-Bums in Windsor, what ya say you stick to figuring out what you can do to help your countrymen. Because your understanding of Apple and what makes them tick and work, and them actually understanding what "skating to where the puck is going to be", leaves me skeptical if you know anything about... well... anything.

Hey, I am not saying they will be right, they are often wrong. But sentiment is pretty low atm. That being said, I do believe Apple can turn this around, so I do have real money betting on this. But my confidence is not strong as it could be, giving the lastest product annoncement hiatus. But they could still have a great plan and iOS 7 is a key part of the new upcomming hardware, so they had to delay all hardware (upgrades/new) to fall.

post #78 of 95
Quote:

Third party programs can integrate more seamlessly into android because the intents system lets a program pass data to other programs while assuming nothing about the identities of the recipients. For all ``intents" and purposes android does not distinguish between first-party or third-party apps. Thus a user who prefers third-party apps over factory-supplied ones might feel more comfortable on android.

Also, in android you can attach any file to an email directly from the compose screen, just like you would do on a mac or windows machine. To attach anything other than images on IOS requires a somewhat clumsier workflow.

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 6/28/13 at 2:46pm
post #79 of 95
Quote:

Because the everyday user is going to do any of that. I had a MicroSD card in my old phone. Never took it out.

Right.   Not taking it out is the whole point these days.

It's no longer about moving memory cards around, it's about being able to do an upgrade of your phone's memory for up to hundreds of dollars less than paying for it to come built-in.

Most people buy their phone and then get a high capacity microSD card, stick it in, and that's that.  The only time they might take it out, is if they want to reuse the card on their next phone, to save even more money over the long term.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who would love to be able to pop in another 64GB in their iPhone for less than $60.

post #80 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

The new textkit and spritekit are massive and impressive undertakings.  These are not 'small' things.  Breakthroughs?  No, no antigravity boots or travelling in tubes.

You could also mention the new physics engine, and a bunch of other things but "herbapou" still won't ever agree.  His posts might as well all have been written by "Debbie Downer."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › BlackBerry sees quarterly loss of $84M on shipments of 2.7M BB10 phones