or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Safari 7.0 to bring web notifications to OS X Mavericks

Safari 7.0 to bring web notifications to OS X Mavericks - Page 2

post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Nobody said anything about the notification center being an RSS reader, it's just about that: being notified that new articles are ready

And where would you manage the feeds? In Notfication Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Also, E-mail isn't pushed, either. Some may (iCloud), but certainly not POP, and random third party e-mail servers. What obviously must be happening is that Apple's Message framework somehow checks for e-mails in the background and then pushes the notifications.

It's the Mail app that supports push notifications - a third party RSS reader app could do the same.

Perhaps you should try some ef the varios RSS readers that exist. They are many times better than what Apple had in Mail and in Safari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Yes, could. Someone also could write a Finder replacement, or a Mail.app replacement, or an iWork replacement. Fact however is, that these third party solutions will never as well integrated as something Apple does, because what Apple does becomes a platform standard that all sorts of third party developers can adopt and tie into. Third party solutions always compete with each other, and thus things get inconsistent, hence I prefer infrastructure type things to be done by Apple.

A push notification is a push notification.

Apple doesn't have to change anything in the notfication system to support RSS feeds - it already supports the functionality you want.

Your problem seems to be that you want Apple to make an RSS Feed Manager (iFeed).

They had two, and neither worked very well.

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Quote:

Nobody said anything about the notification center being an RSS reader, it's just about that: being notified that new articles are ready

Quote:

Also, E-mail isn't pushed, either. Some may (iCloud), but certainly not POP, and random third party e-mail servers. What obviously must be happening is that Apple's Message framework somehow checks for e-mails in the background and then pushes the notifications.
Quote:

Yes, could. Someone also could write a Finder replacement, or a Mail.app replacement, or an iWork replacement. Fact however is, that these third party solutions will never as well integrated as something Apple does, because what Apple does becomes a platform standard that all sorts of third party developers can adopt and tie into. Third party solutions always compete with each other, and thus things get inconsistent, hence I prefer infrastructure type things to be done by Apple.

A push notification is a push notification.

The question is, what does the pushing. Mail.app is already doing the work, and the concept of a unified inbox makes Mail.app a natural RSS reader, particularly since it already uses the same HTML rendering engine as Safari anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Apple doesn't have to change anything in the notfication system to support RSS feeds - it already supports the functionality you want.

Your problem seems to be that you want Apple to make an RSS Feed Manager (iFeed).

They had two, and neither worked very well.

What I hate is App clutter: How many friggin apps do I want to have to open on how many screens, switching back and forth various screens, wasting my time, when I could have a unified inbox, with rules set up to file things as they come in. Guess why I don't use visual voicemail on my iPhone and instead redirect my calls to a service that sends me voice messages as an e-mail attachment to my mail account? Why do I have an internet telephony fax, which sends me all incoming faxes as an e-mail attachment to my inbox? I have to check one spot for new info and updates, and one spot only. And I can set up rules to dispose of junk at one spot, too.
In Apple's latest world I'd have a fax app, a voice mail app, an E-mail app, an RSS app, .... apps ad nauseam (barf).

Just because Apple's RSS implementation wasn't stellar doesn't mean it should be dropped, it means it should be improved.

The problem with Apple: if something doesn't have appeal to dummy users, Apple just drops it and refers to third parties, which would be fine if Apple's own apps would be easily extensible with a documented plug-in system. If Mail.app had a "feed" plug-in API, which could be used to feed all sorts of data into the mail app, that would be fine. But that's not the case, and as a result we get a cluttered mess.
Even if someone would write an app that converts an RSS feed into e-mail messages that are available on some pseudo e-mail server (e.g. IMAP @localhost), and we'd have something like a unified inbox (with e-mail headers marking things as RSS items, such that rules can distinguish them from regular e-mails), we'd still end up with a Notification center mess, unless that background app also interfaces to the notification center. Doable, but just not very elegant.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Safari 7.0 to bring web notifications to OS X Mavericks