or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › What is the difference between the gtx 680 mac edition and the regular edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the difference between the gtx 680 mac edition and the regular edition

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I am thinking about upgrading to the gtx 680 but I wanted to do some research into the difference between the pc and mac versions. 

 

So far I have noticed that the Mac card is pci 2.0 and has 2 bios on the card.

 

Would I be able to use the PC version of the 680 on my mac pro, with little to no problems, or is my only option the more expensive Mac edition.

 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question.

 

-Ginswoo

post #2 of 9
The GTX 680 Mac edition works on your Mac. Off the shelf doesn't.

Sort of simple.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginswoo View Post

I am thinking about upgrading to the gtx 680 but I wanted to do some research into the difference between the pc and mac versions. 

 

So far I have noticed that the Mac card is pci 2.0 and has 2 bios on the card.

 

Would I be able to use the PC version of the 680 on my mac pro, with little to no problems, or is my only option the more expensive Mac edition.

 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question.

 

-Ginswoo

Nvidia off the shelf PC cards work fine with a few caveats. First, make sure you install the latest CUDA drivers from Nvidia before you install the card. Also be aware that your will not see a grey start up screen with the Apple logo, it will boot straight to the desktop. 

 

I solved that issue since I have triple monitors. I have an older ATI Mac native card for one and the other two monitors are connected to my PC Nvidia card. SO in case I ever need to boot to CLI for example or use an Option key boot I can see the screen. Not sure what the power requirements are for the GTX680 so make sure the Mac Pro can support that.  

 

Of course the Mac native 680 card won't have those issues so if you can afford that one it would work best, but if you want to save money and don't mind no start up screen I suggest EVGA. 

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

Oooh ok, that makes sense. So the only difference is that I will need to set up an extra gfx card to view the initial boot screen and install the cuda drivers. Will the boot camp manager that pops up before logging into the desktop still work or does that break as well.  

 

Thank you so much for the help! 

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginswoo View Post

Oooh ok, that makes sense. So the only difference is that I will need to set up an extra gfx card to view the initial boot screen and install the cuda drivers. Will the boot camp manager that pops up before logging into the desktop still work or does that break as well.  

 

Thank you so much for the help! 

 

I assume you can already see the boot screen now with the card you have right? Then go ahead and install the latest CUDA drivers from Nvidia before you install the new card. If your current card is a Mac EFI native card and you have 2 monitors, leave it in there if you have room and you ever need to boot into CLI

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The GTX 680 Mac edition works on your Mac. Off the shelf doesn't.

Sort of simple.


As mentioned they work with caveats. A couple other mac forums have long threads on the topic. I'm sure you can guess at least one.

post #7 of 9

Hi, did you try to PC gtx 680 card in your mac and how did you go? I'm considering trying the same thing now. I have an early 2009 Mac Pro quad core. Cheers,

post #8 of 9

From what I’m seeing, it looks like this driver might be enough to get an off-the-shelf to work. You install the driver, activate it, shut down your computer, and install the new card. If you need to swap back to your stock card, you’d deactivate the driver (I think).

 

Don’t quote me on the procedure (or the workability), but I’ll be doing the same thing soon with my Mac Pro (same model as yours) and a GTX 980 (a different driver is needed), so I think that’s right. Just look into it a bit more.

 

At least nVidia cares about us.

post #9 of 9

Great thanks, that sounds encouraging. I was about to chicken out and pay the extra cost but I'll see if I can upgrade to 10.10.4. It would be good if there's anyone out there who has done this. cheers, 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › What is the difference between the gtx 680 mac edition and the regular edition