or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 takes 75% of US, Canada 4G Web traffic for 'newer' smartphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 takes 75% of US, Canada 4G Web traffic for 'newer' smartphones

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
According to a report from ad network Chitika, the iPhone 5 accounted for just over three quarters of North American 4G Web traffic generated by phones released after July 2012, which translates to a 40 percent share when including all 4G-capable smartphones.

Chitika


The study, conducted over the first two weeks of June, showed 4G-ready handsets accounted for 30 percent of all active smartphones in the U.S. and Canada. The remaining 70 percent consisted of "other smartphones," like 3G and 2G wireless models.

Chitika based the report on tens of millions of smartphone-based online ad impressions on its network from June 1 to June 13, 2013.

Further breaking down the numbers, the firm found 53 percent of ad impressions came from 4G smartphones released after July 2012. This includes Apple's iPhone 5, which was introduced in September of last year.

The LTE-equipped iPhone 5 snagged some 40 percent of total traffic from 4G handsets, and 76 percent of traffic from smartphones brought to market after July 2012.

Other notable 4G smartphones seen in the study include Samsung's Galaxy S4, HTC' s One LG's Nexus 4, and both BB10 BlackBerry devices.

The firm noted that the results show newer model 4G phones are driving more traffic than their predecessors, even counting the latter's advantage of being on the market for months. Still, there is room for growth as cellular technology advances, and telecoms slowly allot more spectrum to 4G.

Earlier on Friday, market research firm comScore released its own set of numbers, showing Apple's iPhone lineup to be the handset of choice for the U.S. market. Combined model sales grew to 39.2 percent in July 2013, a boost of 0.3 percent mont-ober-month.
post #2 of 43
I guess all those Android users are just... using Wi-Fi, huh?

Ah, wait, the generic Internet use charts say the same thing. lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #3 of 43
I'm not sure I understand the distinction between "4G" and "LTE'. Are they one and the same?

If not, what are the differences. Thanks

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess all those Android users are just... using Wi-Fi, huh?

Ah, wait, the generic Internet use charts say the same thing. lol.gif

 

Something I've never understood about this whole thing. If Android is so dominant now, and Samsung is selling ten million S4s a minute, common sense says all these Android phones out there are just used for making phone calls and nothing else. These data points have been like this for a couple of years now, showing iOS completely dominating web use while Android just sits there. Either that or Samsung isn't selling as much as they say they are.

post #5 of 43
I wonder if this study can differentiate between web traffic from first-hand smartphone use, and web traffic funneled thru the smartphone used in a WiFi Hotspot/Personal Hotspot/Tethering context. My guess is that since the ad-impressions likely query the browser type and likely exclude non-smartphone versions of browsers, they are excluding 95% of my smartphone data usage. Because I obtain all my home computer internet via the hotspot function. This exclusion may be what Chitika desired, but may be mis-interpreted when telco's compare their own results to the Chitika conclusions.
post #6 of 43

There is obviously a rational explanation for this. Just like they claim to do with their internet browsers, Fandroids are spoofing their 4G signals, to make them appear as 2G Edge signals. So, these numbers are flawed and not reliable at all.

post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Either that or Samsung isn't selling as much as they say they are.

Ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!  Sammy doesn't actually say how many they sell, only how many they "ship".  That said, they have been proven to blatantly deceive with these numbers for other products, so it's reasonable to assume they're lying about smartphone sales too.  

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151854/quite-smooth-samsung-actually-sold-1-10-of-the-2-million-galaxy-tabs-it-claimed-in-2010

post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I wonder if this study can differentiate between web traffic from first-hand smartphone use, and web traffic funneled thru the smartphone used in a WiFi Hotspot/Personal Hotspot/Tethering context. My guess is that since the ad-impressions likely query the browser type and likely exclude non-smartphone versions of browsers, they are excluding 95% of my smartphone data usage. Because I obtain all my home computer internet via the hotspot function. This exclusion may be what Chitika desired, but may be mis-interpreted when telco's compare their own results to the Chitika conclusions.

Oh, so Android phones are only used for phone calls and...tethering, that explains it. That big screen sure makes tethering more fun.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is obviously a rational explanation for this. Just like they claim to do with their internet browsers, Fandroids are spoofing their 4G signals, to make them appear as 2G Edge signals. So, these numbers are flawed and not reliable at all.

Recently, when this topic came up a couple weeks ago, someone was saying that the browser detection by some firms is not using the right methodology. A lot of Apple fans were joking that Android users were changing their user agent string to look like iPhones. Well, as it turns out, they don't have to spoof the user agent string because Android does it for them automatically.

 

Android user agent string
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; ko-kr; LG-L160L Build/IML74K) AppleWebkit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

 

Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #10 of 43
I wish our stupid telcos over here would've implemented the 4G band that the iPhone supports, but alas, stuck on 3G speed. Certainly hope the next model will support it because I don't see the telcos starting to invest on new towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Other notable 4G smartphones seen in the study include Samsung's Galaxy S4, HTC' s One LG's Nexus 4, and both BB10 BlackBerry devices.

Wait for the smart analyst to blog: BlackBerry sells twice as many smartphones than Samsung's S4.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess all those Android users are just... using Wi-Fi, huh?

Ah, wait, the generic Internet use charts say the same thing. lol.gif

I don't know how wide spread this phenomenon is but I've run into a lot of Android users that actually collect Android phones and they probably don't use them all.

post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Recently, when this topic came up a couple weeks ago, someone was saying that the browser detection by some firms is not using the right methodology. A lot of Apple fans were joking that Android users were changing their user agent string to look like iPhones. Well, as it turns out, they don't have to spoof the user agent string because Android does it for them automatically.

 

 

Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

 

I'm not sure why Android browsers would show themselves to be Safari when they're not, but don't a lot of browsers use Apple's webkit, so maybe that has something to do with it?

post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Either that or Samsung isn't selling as much as they say they are.

 

Ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!  Sammy doesn't actually say how many they sell, only how many they "ship".  That said, they have been proven to blatantly deceive with these numbers for other products, so it's reasonable to assume they're lying about smartphone sales too.  

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151854/quite-smooth-samsung-actually-sold-1-10-of-the-2-million-galaxy-tabs-it-claimed-in-2010

Anything is possible. But you can only get away with that for a quarter or two or three. At some point, if you are shipping way more than you are truly selling, you have to write down the inventory, not to mention report losses. Samsung is in fact reporting massive profits. 

 

Lest we forget (or fail to understand), Apple also reports shipments, albeit differently than how others do.

post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Anything is possible. But you can only get away with that for a quarter or two or three. At some point, if you are shipping way more than you are truly selling, you have to write down the inventory, not to mention report losses. Samsung is in fact reporting massive profits. 

Lest we forget (or fail to understand), Apple also reports shipments, albeit differently than how others do.

Apple actually reports real numbers, not only certain hand picked numbers or analyst crap. No comparison.

Stuffing the channel is more likely to happen at launch, where a company claims "we sold XMillion in one day/week/month!" And analysts run with that, prorating it out for an entire year. Then sales drop like crazy the next quarter. That's what seems to have happened with the Galaxy Tab and now the Z10, amongst others.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not sure why Android browsers would show themselves to be Safari when they're not, but don't a lot of browsers use Apple's webkit, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm not sure either but I think Google Analytics probably gets it right so here is a snapshot of today on my USA only section of a global professional medical website showing just mobile devices which by the way make up around 20% of all visits. Notice there are quite a few that are recorded as (not set). But even if you give all of the not set category to Android then it still only totals 257 vs 791 for Apple.

 

 


Edited by mstone - 6/28/13 at 4:44pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


Apple actually reports real numbers, not only certain hand picked numbers or analyst crap. No comparison.

Stuffing the channel is more likely to happen at launch, where a company claims "we sold XMillion in one day/week/month!" And analysts run with that, prorating it out for an entire year. Then sales drop like crazy the next quarter. That's what seems to have happened with the Galaxy Tab and now the Z10, amongst others.

 

What does "real numbers" mean? Don't get me wrong. I agree Apple is more transparent than Samsung. But most people are wrong about what they think Apple is reporting.

 

Regardless of what you think of Samsung's numbers, there has been no write down yet, and their profits have been rising.

post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I wonder if this study can differentiate between web traffic from first-hand smartphone use, and web traffic funneled thru the smartphone used in a WiFi Hotspot/Personal Hotspot/Tethering context. My guess is that since the ad-impressions likely query the browser type and likely exclude non-smartphone versions of browsers, they are excluding 95% of my smartphone data usage. Because I obtain all my home computer internet via the hotspot function. This exclusion may be what Chitika desired, but may be mis-interpreted when telco's compare their own results to the Chitika conclusions.
So you are using your phone as an access point. This available on most smartphone OSes as a standard function.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Recently, when this topic came up a couple weeks ago, someone was saying that the browser detection by some firms is not using the right methodology. A lot of Apple fans were joking that Android users were changing their user agent string to look like iPhones. Well, as it turns out, they don't have to spoof the user agent string because Android does it for them automatically.


Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

Don't worry. These stats are looking for the Android part.
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not sure why Android browsers would show themselves to be Safari when they're not, but don't a lot of browsers use Apple's webkit, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Or maybe they're out living life and knocking up broads.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Anything is possible. But you can only get away with that for a quarter or two or three. At some point, if you are shipping way more than you are truly selling, you have to write down the inventory, not to mention report losses. Samsung is in fact reporting massive profits.

. . . . 

 

FacsimileSam reports in S Korea, and there lies another story.

 

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

 

"The Shadow knows." (evil laugh, evil laugh, evil laugh)

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Or maybe they're out living life and knocking up broads.

Yup. Android is so Ghetto ... you bitches. /s /s

 

I added an extra /s for your comment.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!  Sammy doesn't actually say how many they sell, only how many they "ship".  That said, they have been proven to blatantly deceive with these numbers for other products, so it's reasonable to assume they're lying about smartphone sales too.  

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151854/quite-smooth-samsung-actually-sold-1-10-of-the-2-million-galaxy-tabs-it-claimed-in-2010

Nonsense. Just go "outside." All you'll see are Samsung phones. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I don't know how wide spread this phenomenon is but I've run into a lot of Android users that actually collect Android phones and they probably don't use them all.

Gotta catch 'em all!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Or maybe they're out living life and knocking up broads.

broads?  You mean hookers getting viruses and diseases.  /s

post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

...common sense says all these Android phones out there are just used for making phone calls and nothing else. Either that or Samsung isn't selling as much as they say they are.

Both of these are the truth, absolutely. I would venture that the former significantly more than the latter, but the latter still to the extent that when it's finally revealed to be happening will cause stocks to crash. Heck, we know they lied about sales/shipments because they were forced to release real numbers during the Apple trial, and never mind what other models they've stuffed channels with only to buy back.

Ooh. What if those old logic boards are just disassembled, given new cases, and popped into "new" model phones! That'd be the scoop of the year (or two).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Gotta catch 'em all!

Beat me to it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Recently, when this topic came up a couple weeks ago, someone was saying that the browser detection by some firms is not using the right methodology. A lot of Apple fans were joking that Android users were changing their user agent string to look like iPhones. Well, as it turns out, they don't have to spoof the user agent string because Android does it for them automatically.


Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

Uh no.

You just ignored the "Android 4.0.3" part of your own example, boldfaced the "Mobile Safari" part and made an unproven, specious argument that Chikita and the rest are so incompetent, they don't know how to read user-agent strings. In order for your claim to be true, every mobile browser stats collecting firm would have to make the same mistake. It would be all over the tech press, and a major embarrassment to Chikita. Not just a convenient theory to explain away iOS' mobile usage dominance by those who refuse to accept these numbers. If it's so easy for you and me to spot the correct part of the user- agent string, why do you claim Chikita counted wrong? Where's your proof that they did?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Uh no.

You just ignored the "Android 4.0.3" part of your own example, boldfaced the "Mobile Safari" part and made an unproven, specious argument that Chikita and the rest are so incompetent, they don't know how to read user-agent strings. In order for your claim to be true, every mobile browser stats collecting firm would have to make the same mistake. It would be all over the tech press, and a major embarrassment to Chikita. Not just a convenient theory to explain away iOS' mobile usage dominance by those who refuse to accept these numbers. If it's so easy for you and me to spot the correct part of the user- agent string, why do you claim Chikita counted wrong? Where's your proof that they did?

Sorry if you got the impression that I was justifying anything. That is why I posted my own verifiable stats as a comparison. I'm still struggling with how there could be such a discrepancy. (see post #15)

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #28 of 43

This is pretty convincing proof that Samsung doesn't actually sell phones and Android users barely browse the web.  Apple isn't winning, they've won!  Now what?

post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

This is pretty convincing proof that Samsung doesn't actually sell phones and Android users barely browse the web.  Apple isn't winning, they've won!  Now what?

Win more, I guess. Cheap phone for people who don't use the Internet and don't actually want to buy phones, here they... come? 1oyvey.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Sammy doesn't actually say how many they sell, only how many they "ship".  That said, they have been proven to blatantly deceive with these numbers for other products, so it's reasonable to assume they're lying about smartphone sales too

 

Actually they don't really report numbers shipped either - unless they're trying to brag about something - most market share statistics are guesstimates.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Recently, when this topic came up a couple weeks ago, someone was saying that the browser detection by some firms is not using the right methodology. A lot of Apple fans were joking that Android users were changing their user agent string to look like iPhones. Well, as it turns out, they don't have to spoof the user agent string because Android does it for them automatically.

 

 

Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

 

Well. I'd have to argue that since these statistics are based off ads (that generate money) their method for determining platform needs to be fairly accurate, so I doubt they're using the user agent string for it. For instance, could be using navigator.platform or even object detection (each platform may a have unique DOM object.)

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

broads?  You mean hookers getting viruses and diseases.  /s

Those are definitely to busy to be browsing the web. lol.gif
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Apple actually reports real numbers, not only certain hand picked numbers or analyst crap. No comparison.


Stuffing the channel is more likely to happen at launch, where a company claims "we sold XMillion in one day/week/month!" And analysts run with that, prorating it out for an entire year. Then sales drop like crazy the next quarter. That's what seems to have happened with the Galaxy Tab and now the Z10, amongst others.

What does "real numbers" mean? Don't get me wrong. I agree Apple is more transparent than Samsung. But most people are wrong about what they think Apple is reporting.

Regardless of what you think of Samsung's numbers, there has been no write down yet, and their profits have been rising.

Apple reports starting and ending channel inventory plus the units put into the channel. Samsung reports the units put into the channel. One is transparent and one is smoke. With Apples numbers I can determine how many units left the channel (99.99999999999999% of those are sales). With Samsung's numbers I can determine how many units they shipped into the channel.

We see again there is a claimed fall off of S4 sales after a claim of massive sales at launch. Samsung channel stuffs every launch. Maybe they are low on warehouse space, maybe they want to make sure there are plenty in the stores....

A write down really isn't necessary. The S4 is the only model Samsung gives any numbers on. The vast majority of their "smart" phones are feature phones running Android. That is why usage numbers are so low.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

Nonsense. If there were any truth to this at all (and there is not), there wold not be any Android phones in the stats....
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Apple reports starting and ending channel inventory plus the units put into the channel. Samsung reports the units put into the channel. One is transparent and one is smoke. With Apples numbers I can determine how many units left the channel (99.99999999999999% of those are sales). With Samsung's numbers I can determine how many units they shipped into the channel.

We see again there is a claimed fall off of S4 sales after a claim of massive sales at launch. Samsung channel stuffs every launch. Maybe they are low on warehouse space, maybe they want to make sure there are plenty in the stores....

A write down really isn't necessary. The S4 is the only model Samsung gives any numbers on. The vast majority of their "smart" phones are feature phones running Android. That is why usage numbers are so low.

Samsung doesn't even report those numbers either, unless its a chery picked set for a specific phone, like the S4. Even then, is it even an official statement, or just an "unnamed executive"?

All other numbers you here regarding shipment numbers are guesses by analysts, which compare these to actual numbers released by Apple to the SEC.

Regarding the coming S4 write downs... Maybe this is why Ive been seeing so many "buy the S4 and get a $50..." etc. commercials lately, odd for such a "great selling" new phone that was just launched.
post #36 of 43
Again, this is in Apple's Home turfs. I wonder what's the world wide usage.

Again Apple needs to focus on its International expansion.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Again, this is in Apple's Home turfs. I wonder what's the world wide usage.

Again Apple needs to focus on its International expansion.

Apple is hurting in less developed markets. But I'd say its more of an issue of the market growing faster than Apple can. This market share percentage is shrinking, while Apple isn't shedding users. The pie is just getting bigger. A lot of that is for cheaper phones, which make up the bulk of Samsung's sales.

Samsung has distribution in more countries too.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Again, this is in Apple's Home turfs. I wonder what's the world wide usage.

Again Apple needs to focus on its International expansion.

Here is worldwide usage of the iPhone 5 VS all 1080p phones from point of general availability.

http://twitter.com/StevenNoyes/status/350629072201732096/photo/1
post #39 of 43

Honest question.

 

Background story first. 

 

These sorts of studies are usually based on ad impressions. 

 

When my wife browses on her iPhone 5, she sees ads, because she uses Safari and she hasn't found (basically hasn't looked for) a plugin to block the ads.

 

When I browse on my Android phone, I don't see ads, because I use Chrome with the AdBlock extension. 

 

I browse on my phone far more than she does (she uses the iPad, which I'm lucky to have any time with!). 

 

The question: do these facts combined mean that, even though my phone browsing is probably 10x hers, our combined usage as tracked by these surveys based on ad impressions, would either only count her usage or make it look like we only use an Apple device? 

 

The broader question: if a higher proportion of Android than Apple users block ads (and the prevalence of blocking extensions for the stock and Chrome browsers suggests that might be true), would that bias these surveys in Apple's favor?

post #40 of 43
These are similar percentages as to what I see access the domains I maintain, as well as the email clients used to open our email marketing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 takes 75% of US, Canada 4G Web traffic for 'newer' smartphones