or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple testing 'MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0' to reportedly solve 802.11ac woes

Apple testing 'MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0' to reportedly solve 802.11ac woes

post #1 of 40
In a likely response to reports of 802.11ac Wi-Fi issues with its latest MacBook Air refresh, Apple late Friday began sending out invitations to select users, offering inclusion in the AppleSeed Program to test an upcoming Wi-Fi centric software update for the thin-and-light laptop.

WiFi Update

People who received the email told AppleInsider that Apple will provide selected customers with a pre-release version of the "MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0" to install and use on their new machines, asking that they give feedback on any bugs found during the testing process.

While not explicitly stated in the AppleSeed invite, it is thought that the update relates to recent Wi-Fi connectivity issues some customers have experienced with Apple's implementation of the fairly new 802.11ac wireless standard.

The recently-released 11- and 13-inch MacBook Airs are the first Macs to implement the fast wireless protocol which, when combined with the new AirPort Extreme or AirPort Time Capsule, can reach theoretical speeds of up to 1300Mbps.

Although the technology has promise, a growing number of owners have complained of throughput limitations related to 11ac, with some reports speculating the wireless stack in OS X is at least partially to blame.

A thread on Apple's Support Communities webpage appears to confirm the AppleSeed invitations, but offers little information on the software. Those who have already agreed to Apple's terms said the company has yet to activate the invitation codes or send out the software.

In December 2012, Apple released a similar Wi-Fi compatibility update for Mac two months following the debut of the MacBook Pro with Retina display. At the time, owners of the then-new machine complained of problems recognizing 802.11n networks in the 5GHz band.
post #2 of 40
Well, it can be a good and logical thing to do, but it can also be a PR nightmare, unless they actually try to select people with some experience
post #3 of 40

i have same issue for new air wifi problem. Can i get the MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0 to test my issue?

post #4 of 40

If you could let me reset the password for the coffee shop every few days when they change it, without going deep into Network Preferences into interface hell, then yeah.  That'd be great.

Just one of the ways OS X's wifi treatment is generally the world's hardest to use & least reliable.

iOS, meanwhile, is among the best.

post #5 of 40
Are they not supposed to do this BEFORE they realise the new device?
post #6 of 40

Glad Apple is on it. I didn't have any doubts that Apple would fix it. I have that Wi-Fi problem as well, love my new 13" Haswell MB Air though. Go Apple! 

post #7 of 40
Talking about the latest and 'bestess' technology ... I am starting to think I'll get my new Mac Pro next year not this. As in when the Mk. II version comes out ... I have been one of those that bought every new product from the Apple ][e, Apple ///, Lisa to Mac Plus, Mac II Fx , Quadra 840 av and so on. I think this time I'll wait it out and go for a later version. OMG I am getting cautious in my old age!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talking about the latest and 'bestess' technology ... I am starting to think I'll get my new Mac Pro next year not this. As in when the Mk. II version comes out ... I have been one of those that bought every new product from the Apple ][e, Apple ///, Lisa to Mac Plus, Mac II Fx , Quadra 840 av and so on. I think this time I'll wait it out and go for a later version. OMG I am getting cautious in my old age!

or...could be just smarts gained while aging?

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by qianhua View Post

i have same issue for new air wifi problem. Can i get the MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0 to test my issue?

No, you cannot. No.

post #10 of 40
Quote:

It's an issue with network file transfers over 802.11ac, not the technology itself, and an apparent software issue. And it's also apparently a bug so uncommon that it went unnoticed during testing. Or maybe it was put on the "fix it later" list. Some people, apparently with "ac" networks and routers, have noticed that certain file transfers don't achieve 802.11ac speeds but are more in the 802.11n range. And the fact is that most people do not have "ac" ready routers, and most do not have "ac" ready devices either.

So I fail to see how this can be considered some show stopping issue that makes purchasing the new MBA scary or risky. I also fail to see why people are so ready to raise concerns about this to "WiFi-gate" level hand wringing. It's a minor bug that is getting fixed. So what!

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

See, that's because the existing software works perfectly well. It's idiots that don't know how to use their computers who are complaining.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, that's because the existing software works perfectly well. It's idiots that don't know how to use their computers who are complaining.

Since all apple software obviously works perfectly 100% of the time, it has to be the result of the idiot end user. 

post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Since all apple software obviously works perfectly 100% of the time, it has to be the result of the idiot end user. 

Yep! I sure did say that, after all!

1oyvey.gif

post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

or...could be just smarts gained while aging?

I should have pointed out that all of those products I mentioned were just great, no problems at all. I was kidding, there is no way I'll wait 1smile.gif
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's an issue with network file transfers over 802.11ac, not the technology itself, and an apparent software issue. And it's also apparently a bug so uncommon that it went unnoticed during testing. Or maybe it was put on the "fix it later" list. Some people, apparently with "ac" networks and routers, have noticed that certain file transfers don't achieve 802.11ac speeds but are more in the 802.11n range. And the fact is that most people do not have "ac" ready routers, and most do not have "ac" ready devices either.

So I fail to see how this can be considered some show stopping issue that makes purchasing the new MBA scary or risky. I also fail to see why people are so ready to raise concerns about this to "WiFi-gate" level hand wringing. It's a minor bug that is getting fixed. So what!

Seem my last post, I forgot the smiley face... I was mocking myself as I always dive in. I am waiting credit card in hand for a Mac Pro! 1smile.gif
post #16 of 40
So it's *not* a hardware problem?

Fact is, Apple sets the standard for reliability. They've done so for years. They are not problem-free, however, but compared the competition, they're head and shoulders above, especially when it comes to addressing a problem face-to-face on the ground with customers.

But folks like to yell louder and harder when it comes to Apple, precisely due Apple's high standards. And when even a small minority of expectations are not met, all hell breaks loose.
post #17 of 40
Quote:

I should have pointed out that all of those products I mentioned were just great, no problems at all. I was kidding, there is no way I'll wait 1smile.gif

LOL...i've read enough of your posts to have known that about you :-) When you get that shiny new Mac Pro please post back and lets all know what your impressions are! 

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #18 of 40
Quote:

Talking about the latest and 'bestess' technology ... I am starting to think I'll get my new Mac Pro next year not this. As in when the Mk. II version comes out ...
You don't have to wait a whole year, just wait until the teething pains relax a bit. When the Mac Pro arrives there will be teething pains, this I have no doubt about. However generally they are resolved rather quickly.
Quote:
I have been one of those that bought every new product from the Apple ][e, Apple ///, Lisa to Mac Plus, Mac II Fx , Quadra 840 av and so on. I think this time I'll wait it out and go for a later version. OMG I am getting cautious in my old age!

Not Oder but wiser. It is far easier to let somebody else find and report the bugs and defects.

By the way that is a lotta Macs there. I've owned exactly two Apple computers over my lifetime. The first being a Mac Plus all those years ago and the second being an early 2008 MBP. That Mac Plus has a special place in my heart but frankly the MBP is a less inspired machine. My big problem with apple for years had been the high prices for relatively low performance. Thankfully that has all changed for the better, Apple laptops are hard to beat now. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be able to say that about Apples desktops.
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Actually there appears to be more than one issue here but they all appear to be software related
Quote:
Fact is, Apple sets the standard for reliability. They've done so for years. They are not problem-free, however, but compared the competition, they're head and shoulders above, especially when it comes to addressing a problem face-to-face on the ground with customers.
The problem with today's customers is that this problem is artificial with many of them. It is a result of searching the net to find something to fret about. Very few people have access to a network architecture to even verify the problem.
Quote:
But folks like to yell louder and harder when it comes to Apple, precisely due Apple's high standards. And when even a small minority of expectations are not met, all hell breaks loose.

It is ignorance at play. Anybody expecting brand new WiFi technology to be perfect upon release just doesn't have a clue.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Fact is, Apple sets the standard for reliability. .....

I believe 802.11ac is not even officially yet approved as a standard. Implementing it right now is a bold move on Apple side !!!!....

post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I believe 802.11ac is not even officially yet approved as a standard. Implementing it right now is a bold move on Apple side !!!!....

Nonsense. Everyone does this with every version of Wi-Fi.

post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

If you could let me reset the password for the coffee shop every few days when they change it, without going deep into Network Preferences into interface hell, then yeah.  That'd be great. ...

Sounds like you need to find a new coffee shop, one that doesn't treat its customers like service thieves.

post #23 of 40
Quote:

It's impossible to that every possible setup given the number of factors. Despite the FUD hit whoring headlines the cut of folks with issues is likely very low, as it is with most of this 'horrible issues' that turn up rig after an Apple release. And Apple is very responsive when its hardware. They will swap whole units those first few weeks even when the issue is more likely the cx third party wifi router for five years ago with out of date firmware etc just to be certain it couldn't be their new whatever. Few companies are like that.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No, you cannot. No.

Do you run Apple, no you don't. So you can't really say that he can't. If he calls Apple Care for help with his wifi issue they might very well arrange for him to get the software even before it is an official release.

post #25 of 40
Quote:

Yes, of course.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Apple was an early adopter of 802.11n, before the standard was ratified. But, Apple wasn't the first to ship 802.11n, and they aren't the first with 802.11ac, either. The networking chips to support ac have been around since the end of 2011.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 40
Quote:

One thing for sure, no matter what Apple releases, there will always be a better product but you'll always have to wait.  Word of advice,buy what you need to buy within the first 3 months of a product announcement if at all possible and keep all of the packaging, buy AppleCare and if you decide to sell it to a private individual before AppleCare runs out, you'll recoup  the decent amount of resale value to go towards the new model.  That way you'll always have the latest and greatest and all you do is pay the difference between what it's worth on the used market.

But I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.  Remember, no matter what you buy from every mfg., it's all the finished prototype for the next revision.

In terms of new products and problems?  They typically require only a simple software update and Apple's has a great track record with bug fixes as compared to the alternatives.  Hardware problems are usually fixed as long as you are under warranty, which is why buying AppleCare is a good idea.  It gives you peace of mind during the most critical years of operation.

post #28 of 40
Quote:

Quote:

It is still very early and likely buggy (hince this update) that its not perfect on a new computer providing something 10 times faster than a extremely fast wifi and 100 times faster than our own house wifi.

This is also to prep the Mac Pro release.
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

One thing for sure, no matter what Apple releases, there will always be a better product but you'll always have to wait.  Word of advice,buy what you need to buy within the first 3 months of a product announcement if at all possible and keep all of the packaging, buy AppleCare and if you decide to sell it to a private individual before AppleCare runs out, you'll recoup  the decent amount of resale value to go towards the new model.  That way you'll always have the latest and greatest and all you do is pay the difference between what it's worth on the used market.

But I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.  Remember, no matter what you buy from every mfg., it's all the finished prototype for the next revision.

In terms of new products and problems?  They typically require only a simple software update and Apple's has a great track record with bug fixes as compared to the alternatives.  Hardware problems are usually fixed as long as you are under warranty, which is why buying AppleCare is a good idea.  It gives you peace of mind during the most critical years of operation.

Yep thanks ... I was being semi sarcastic and mocking myself as i always dive in ... 1smile.gif
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way that is a lotta Macs there. I've owned exactly two Apple computers over my lifetime. The first being a Mac Plus all those years ago and the second being an early 2008 MBP. That Mac Plus has a special place in my heart but frankly the MBP is a less inspired machine. My big problem with apple for years had been the high prices for relatively low performance. Thankfully that has all changed for the better, Apple laptops are hard to beat now. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be able to say that about Apples desktops.

That's a fraction of them! I have lost count but I do recall Dual G5, several G4s and a Mac Pro 8 Core along the way ... Been in the digital media business for many years and a Mac Software company prior to that. Before that I ran an Apple dealership or two but I'm not counting all those Macs, just ones i actually had personally. If you cut me in half my wife swears there is an Apple at the core ... 1biggrin.gif
post #31 of 40
I have had two 11" Macbook Airs "captured" by Apple this week to look into wi-fi continuity problems I am having at work. I'm fine on 5GHz networks from Airports but my Cisco 802.11n 5GHz routers at work are not staying connected. The 2.4 GHz routers at work are fine. Third machine has same problem so it is not likely a sporadic issue from machine to machine, just sporadic among users depending upon the user and their routers. I guess they can't test every router out there but I hope they have a firmware fix soon.

Love the machine otherwise. Fast, light, and powerful. What more can I ask for? Reliable wi-fi, for one.
post #32 of 40
Quote:

So this seed program is Apple's way of identifying and culling these idiot customers?

post #33 of 40
Quote:

Idiots like Anand of AnandTech?

I'm going to bet that he knows more about using computers than you ever will. He also has a useful ability to look at technology dispassionately, rather than through a distortion field which rejects any criticism.

If he says there is a problem with the software, then I believe him.

post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

So this seed program is Apple's way of identifying and culling these idiot customers?

No, it's Apple's way of maintaining good PR.

post #35 of 40
Just wondering what do you think is the chances of IOS devices getting this in alls it 2014 releases?
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Just wondering what do you think is the chances of IOS devices getting this in alls it 2014 releases?

If there's an AC chip out there that has a low enough power draw, it's possible. Not sure there is.

post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Idiots like Anand of AnandTech?

I'm going to bet that he knows more about using computers than you ever will. He also has a useful ability to look at technology dispassionately, rather than through a distortion field which rejects any criticism.

If he says there is a problem with the software, then I believe him.

Yup. Not saying Anand is perfect, but chances are if he says something is f**ked, then he's most likely right.
post #38 of 40
Quote:

Or there could be a problem. Why assume users are idiotic and Apple is *faking* this? 

post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Quote:

If there's an AC chip out there that has a low enough power draw, it's possible. Not sure there is.

Power is not the issue. 802.11ac is more efficient and therefore draws the same or less power than 802.11n for the transfer of the same data. 

post #40 of 40

New hardware is released.

A small but very real percentage of users report a hardware issue.

Forum denizens cry fake.

Apple tests and releases an official fix.

Search the Apple support downloads for a complete history of official patches specific to new hardware, and search this forum for people claiming they were all non-existent problems.

Tallest Skil View Post

Like clockwork, I knew you'd be here blaming the victims. Not that you're alone...

wizard69 View Post
The problem with today's customers is that this problem is artificial with many of them. It is a result of searching the net to find something to fret about. Very few people have access to a network architecture to even verify the problem.
It is ignorance at play. Anybody expecting brand new WiFi technology to be perfect upon release just doesn't have a clue.

Which is it? Are users imagining this issue via mass hysteria, or is the WiFi tech imperfect? Make up your mind.

And "verifying the problem via access to network architecture" is a real fancy way of saying the same thing they are.

stelligent View Post
Tallest Skil View Post

Or there could be a problem. Why assume users are idiotic and Apple is *faking* this? 

Because a sociopath is defined by their inability to understand other people, feel empathy, or learn from punishment (like a recent ban).

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple testing 'MacBook Air WiFi Update 1.0' to reportedly solve 802.11ac woes