or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013?

Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013? - Page 7

post #241 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The tone will change when you and the other shills leave and don't come back. You aren't looking for a discussion. You're looking to spread misinformation and you'd like everyone to pretend that you deserve the same respect as honest posters. You don't. You're a professional liar and deserve nothing but contempt.

Translation: The tone will change when people who disagree with anonymous ( et al). are hunted out of the forum by their angry reactions to any criticism of Apple. 

The it will be all sweetness and light. That is, unless a normal punter turns up at what he thinks is a normal consumer site, and offers a tepid criticism of the iPhone 5s, which he opines normally very good but he is not that happy with the battery life.

Be gone with you heretic troll will be the theme, who paid you! Samsung or Microsoft? and off the normal punter goes, wondering if Apple is really the cult he always heard it was. 

On here, it is. 

AI is still better than the competition in terms of it's stories, however any competitor which enforced proper forum rules would start to win share.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #242 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I can't see tagging ever getting to iOS 7, though i would like it.

Interesting how small improvements make such differences. Tags are basically labels, and have been around for years. In Mavericks they have a decent UI - you can change the label/tag on save - and suddenly they are brilliant.  ( no sarcasm, they are).

matter of taste. I see no value in tagging. I open files either from recent lists from app or i search with spotlight. iOS and OS X have spotlight.

post #243 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Okay fair enough, I've never had a problem with security or malware but I'm sure users who don't know what their installing have. I put a lot of blame on Google for this, their should be a much larger scrutiny when allowing apps into Google Play. I no longer buy Android or iOS phones for personal use as I like supporting platforms with low market penetration. I have recently put in a preorder for a Jolla phone and I will also probably buy a Nokia Lumia EOS with the 40 MP camera when it's finally released. Work phone wise, well I really didn't have a choice there, as they are issued to me by my firm. This time around they gave me a BB Z10, no complaints though as it does everything I need a phone to do and I really dig the interface. It also has a great file-manager app that can access my work servers via VPN, which is probably the only criteria I have in a work phone.

As you might have guessed I love owning phones that are very unique, if I see to many of the same phone on the street chances are I will never buy one, MeegOS was one of my favorite mobile OS's of all time so the new Jolla phone is probably a good match for me.

BB Z10 is a very decent phone with very good OS. I am sorry they are being pushed aside. It's their fault, of course, but still, I think this phone and OS deserves at least a chance. 

post #244 of 266
Quote:

Th plan date is not the release date. The release date was 1995  which is mid 1990's. What it is not is early 1990's. The licensing program really got going in 1995-1997 and was abandoned only when Steve Jobs came back. 

In no sense then, would a program which started in a limited fashion in 1995 and lasted until 1999 or so ( although most clones were curtailed in 1997/98) be called early 1990's. Early 1990's is wrong. I should probably have said, mid-to-late 1990's but guess what: I am commenting below the line not above it.

The stats above the line need to be fact checked more rigorously than those below it. So go take that forensic abilities of yours and apply it to DED's original comments.

Your correction was dead wrong. If there were prototypes available in 1994, the licensing started in early to mid 1990's and calling it late 90's is dead wrong. In other words, the licensing starts way before release. If you are going to go off and correct people's facts, you better get your corrections right and you missed on several. This is the one that is indisputable and not really source based (no one knows how much Android or WP developers are actually making for example). So while the article was wrong, so was your correction.
post #245 of 266
Interesting piece that seems based on the premise that Google wants to be Apple.

The difference as I see it is that Google want breadth of users to maximise the number of gmail/youtube/play/&c. users (users = data ad revenue) while Apple want to, and more often than not manage to, punt high end devices to those that can afford them.

Every flavour of Android 'works' in that scenario for Google.
post #246 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Like most of the features that Apple supposedly lacks, such an API is available in iOS.

"Uniform Type Identifiers (or UTIs) are strings which uniquely identify abstract types. They can be used to describe a file format or an in-memory data type, but can also be used to describe the type of other sorts of entities, such as directories, volumes, or packages." UTIs were introduced in iOS 3.

Likewise, developers may choose to implement their own keyboard layout making said layout a universal option. That developers have not chosen to do so speaks less of iOS than of users who do not confuse variety with choice.

Furthermore, file management is available on iOS. Indeed, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of file managers that allow a user to download and install a variety of objects on their iPhone. In my opinion, Tagging is the future of file management. Tagging has quickly become my favorite feature of OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

I fail to understand how any rational, reasonable person could conclude that the iPhone isn't years ahead of the competition considering the dozens of features implemented in iOS that Android simply does not offer.

Interesting. So what I meant is a universal way for Apps to open appropriate UTIs from other Apps, essentially the reverse of "Open In" (which "pushes" a file, as opposed to "pulling" it).

So if I'm in Mail, and click "Insert Photo", it not only shows me all my albums, but also other apps (displayed as an album) that have appropriate UTIs. This could also allow document insertion.

Actually, I think "Insert Document" would be huge for Mail, if it allowed me to access various types of documents tagged with UTIs (.pages, .doc, .pdf, .numbers, etc.) stored in my apps, or even to access iCloud. Currently, these apps allow me to "push" my documents to Mail, but the workflow would be much more efficient if you could "pull" the data instead.

Currently, some third-party apps allow importing of Photos from the Photos app. So clearly this is possible. But it would be nice if it was opened to third-parties.
post #247 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

As for your question about the difference between a tablet and notebook, this file management example is just one expression of a broader philosophical difference between Apple and Microsoft on tablets. Apple's uses the term "post-PC" to describe computing devices that aren't the classic "personal computer" as we knew it over the last 30 years. Things like iPhones, iPods, iPads, and AppleTV are examples of this. They are purposeful information processing devices. Apple TV, for example, lets me rent and watch HD movies and TV shows over the Internet (iTunes), right on my TV. iPad lets me run apps, surf the web, read email, read magazines, play games, message and FaceTime friends. A lot of those things were previously only possible with a personal computer. Why not just make personal computers? Because the post-PC devices are simplified, curated, ultra-portable, and maintenance free. When people who have never used any kind of computer pick up and just start using iPads, that's Apple's post-PC vision paying off.

Microsoft's is not interested in replacing the PC with a post-PC device (you could argue that Surface RT is just like the iPad, but it's not bold enough at shedding its PC-era design cruft, such as the classic desktop, and ends up being a half-hearted attempt at a post-PC tablet) The odd thing is that Microsoft groks the post-PC idea, and they in fact sell a post-PC device: the Xbox. It's based on a PC, but Microsoft won't, for example, allow it to operate outside of the walled garden of (signed) Xbox games and Xbox Live content. You can't side load any app or game not approved by Microsoft, and you can't even surf the web, or use a mouse and keyboard. It's deliberately limited in purpose. It's not a PC.

I see what you're saying. But I think WP8 also qualifies as a "post-PC" OS. Unlike WinRT, it has no traditional desktop environment. Like in iOS, files don't exist outside of apps. WP8 also mimics the iOS method of handling email attachments, and actually appears to be more restrictive than iOS by predefining the types of files that one can attach (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/people/email-attachments-faq). Although WP8 does give you the option of sideloading apps like on a PC, on balance it behaves more like iOS than android. Among the mobile OS's, I would say that android borrows the most concepts from "traditional" computing, while WP8 lies somewhere between that and iOS. 

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 7/1/13 at 7:50am
post #248 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

I see what you're saying. But I think WP8 also qualifies as a "post-PC" OS. Unlike WinRT, it has no traditional desktop environment. Like in iOS, files don't exist outside of apps. WP8 also mimics the iOS method of handling email attachments, and actually appears to be more restrictive than iOS by predefining the types of files that one can attach (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/people/email-attachments-faq
). Although WP8 does give you the option of sideloading apps like on a PC, on balance it behaves more like iOS than android. 

Yeah, but we're talking about tablets, aren't we? I mean technically smartphones are post-PC devices. But tablets vs ultra portables was the subject. If MS had put WP8 on its Surface, then it would truly be a post-PC device. As it stands, it's just a refresh of MS' decades-old view of tablets-are-just-PCs.
post #249 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Your correction was dead wrong. If there were prototypes available in 1994, the licensing started in early to mid 1990's and calling it late 90's is dead wrong. In other words, the licensing starts way before release. If you are going to go off and correct people's facts, you better get your corrections right and you missed on several. This is the one that is indisputable and not really source based (no one knows how much Android or WP developers are actually making for example). So while the article was wrong, so was your correction.

No. The first licensed clone sold in 1995. In no sense of the word is that early 1990's. It is mid 1990's. And I said that in my correction to your correction. 

You are clutching at straws with the prototype and when licensing agreements are formed or made - that funny argument is used by Android fans to prove that Android is older than the iPhone. It's ludicrous there, and here. The Mac was licensed - that is sold to customers from 1995 on.

I also pointed out that I should have said mid to late, but late 1990's is clearly more correct than early 1990's as most of the licensed macs were sold in the later 1990's - i..e past 1995. DED is still wrong. I am still more correct. And I am below the line. Get that forensic ability working above the line.

As for the rest, if you have other issues with my error of fact - rather than logic - then go for it. I even included links.

post #250 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Yeah, but we're talking about tablets, aren't we? I mean technically smartphones are post-PC devices. But tablets vs ultra portables was the subject. If MS had put WP8 on its Surface, then it would truly be a post-PC device. As it stands, it's just a refresh of MS' decades-old view of tablets-are-just-PCs.

The post I was referring to talked about post-PC devices in general and brought up the xbox, but if we're just talking about tablets then sure, the MS offerings (especially Win RT) try to straddle the fence between traditional PCs and post-PCs.

post #251 of 266

Ho-hum. Nice article - well-presented, well-argued, and thoughtfully pro-Apple.

So what?

I love Apple - have 10s of 1000s of dollars of computer, entertainment, software, and peripheral stuff - all good and play well together - over a couple of decades. The vast majority of my friends do not and they let me know it - and my other small group of Apple friends as well (that they get the abuse not join in to give it to me).

But we live in a world of mediocrity - especially the consumers. Not only mediocre, but fickle, spiteful, and petty - like fans in the music industry. It is said that for big-time money-infested, fluff acts - madonna, bieber -  their fans categorize their likes as: 30% actually like the music, 50% like that they have friends that talk passionately about that music; 20% like that they have friends that go to events about that music. Such is with smart phones.

The key is to maintain that loyal following who truly understand the life-affirming nature of the Apple eco-system and hope it remains profitable. The anti-key is to care or pretend to care about what Android is doing - that is what those followers of Android who spitefully covet Apple (probably some but not many) want. Stay the course. Applaud Apple when they do good, and be supportive (but honest) when they need guidance - like a good family - because that is what we are and that is only thing that will save us.

post #252 of 266

Yeah - what can you do?

Android is Star Wars.

Apple is Star Trek.

Two value systems, never shall the two meet.

post #253 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by designguybrown View Post

Android is Star Wars.
Apple is Star Trek.

And that works well.

Apple's not the evil, Internet spanning empire and Google first law isn't to "avoid contact with lesser companies until they're ready".

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #254 of 266
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A bigger issue for the definition of "Android" is that it's not just the 66 percent of Google Play users that have no access to a modern version of Android; it's also the majority of the growing, "white box" market that is outpacing Samsung and the other Android licensees that everyone identifies as "Android."

Catastrophic fragmentation.  Low-quality junky Android phones undercutting Samsung.

Google just doesn't care.  All they care about is ad revenue.  96% of Google's revenue is from ads.

Keep remembering that little factoid, and everything Google does actually makes sense.

(Except that little $12.5 billion Motorola patent-grab.  Should have done your due diligence, Larry.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #255 of 266

In my opinion something has also to be mentioned. The purchase of a smartphone is also about fashion and distinction from the "crowd" and sense of "clan". Almost every product goes from "early adopters" to "mass market" to "decline". This is not just market jargon, it has very much to do with the way our primeval mind works. Early adopters buy it because it is "cool" (case in point: GPRS iPhone 1 when 3G was already common, Google Glass nowadays, iPad before, etc etc). Then everyone wants to take part of that cool clan of early adopters and the product sees an explosion in sales (the main reason why luxury fashion brands sell perfume is exactly so that everyone can afford a piece of it...). Then, after the mass adoption, everywhere you look there's the same product in everybody's hands... So the early adopters, out of their "I don't want to be part of the mass" spirit, start to look for something new, like they are for Samsung. It makes them proud to ditch the phone everyone has, even if it is a perfectly capable phone and has a lot of features still unmatched. The specialized press, to show their "following or setting the trends" immediately jump on the bandwagon and look the mainstream product as if it was something "given", "part of the landscape". Because they have to be cool, because they have to be part of the nice of insiders...

And so it goes, the next big thing is created by a handful of people, becomes mainstream and then people start looking for the next thing. It is the way fashion goes, with their coming and going and coming back of brands, and has very much to do with group psychology. These factors are always absent in critics, fanboys, defenders and accusers, as we would live in a perfectly rational world.

People buying Android underline its cheapness, praise its customability, hackability... Consider themselves "insiders". Frown when someone takes out an iPhone... People with iPhone are so "uncool". Why? Because everyone has it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the phone... The same went for people buying iPhones "en masse" just because it made them look cool and hip. I know my point of view does not apply to everyone, probably almost no one on either side of the "fence" that reads this blog because we are more opinionated and maybe, just maybe, more rational. But look around you and tell me, honestly, I am wrong. You know I am not. I have seen people buy iPhone and use it as a "dumb phone" and people buy a Samsung galaxy 3 because it is hip and going back to the shop the next day because they had no clue about how to actually use it.

Emotions, the fashion cycle, is very much part of the coming and going of brands in the smartphone industry as it is everywhere else (cars, watches etc). Apple had the insight of the "halo effect" where every product is also intended to shine a cool light on the others. So the iPhone became a big seller when the iPad came out... Apple was on everyone's mind as the coolest company in the world. That's why the industry has to keep on inventing, that's why Apple NEEDS new category defining products. Because, let's face it, the iPhone is just the iPhone. Without iOS 7 the sales numbers of the iPhone 5S would have plummeted. Apple needed to stir up the press, polarize opposites, create a new "cool group" who likes iOS 7, praises it, and others who bash it. Because rumor creates curiosity, interest, and ultimately the cool factor that drives sales. The MacPro is a prime example. The whole press i going to divide itself about who likes it and who doesn't... Ultimately it will bring sales big time. Create the "diehard fans" that were the driving force of Apple. The small group of passionate followers that felt they were part of a small elite. Which now has become a crowded garden. That is also why Apple is in a unique position to stay on top of this "fashion or image game". Because they have several groups to which they speak to. And, I think, part of the choice to continue catering (I bet you'll see more of that in the future) the Pro crowd is due to the fact it creates halo.

Do not underestimate the power of the masses, and the driving forces that move them.

post #256 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by designguybrown View Post

Yeah - what can you do?

Android is Star Wars.

Apple is Star Trek.

Actually Since J.J. Abrams is now going to direct Star Wars Episode 7, I think they will meet.

2004 PowerBook G4, 2005 PowerMac G5, 2008 MacPro, iPhone 4, 2011 MacBook Pro, White iPhone 4s

2004 PowerBook G4, 2005 PowerMac G5, 2008 MacPro, iPhone 4, 2011 MacBook Pro, White iPhone 4s

post #257 of 266
Quote:

Thats the problem with consumer surveys.

Q: Which most closely describes your experience with this product:

[A] You did your homework and made a purchase that fits your needs and meets your expectations, and as a result you feel satisfied with both the product and your choice.

[B] You are a complete moron who bought on impulse without any consideration of value and now want to complain that the product is a piece of crap, not necessarily because there's anything wrong with it per se, but, like a man buying feminine hygiene products, the product doesn't fit the need.

[C] There is no way in hell you would have been stupid enough to lay down good money on something you hate, so if you bought it, you LIKE it dammit!

[D] You can not for the life of you understand how product makers STILL don't remember that your head naturally leans slightly to the left, and therefore text displays should be slanted slightly to compensate. You bought it anyway, but you are NOT satisfied.

I'm not sure I'd use customer satisfaction surveys as an indicator of product value, since the discriminating and critical buyer I'm targeting recognizes the actual value of the results...

post #258 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The tone will change when you and the other shills leave and don't come back. You aren't looking for a discussion. You're looking to spread misinformation and you'd like everyone to pretend that you deserve the same respect as honest posters. You don't. You're a professional liar and deserve nothing but contempt.

I've had productive, enlightening, useful, civil discussions with Gatorguy (despite his apparent attraction to the dark side) that help me make informed purchasing decisions. I don't agree with your assessment.

post #259 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Totally agree.  

I think with good editing (and an attitude that would allow him to allow someone else to edit his stuff), DED could be one of the best writers in the industry because his ideas are great, his research is usually better than most and he has insight and a sense of humour.  However, sloppy mistakes and being overly wordy, kill the mood and turn off the reader.  

Indeed.  I generally appreciate how DED connects the dots with a lot of tech topics, but his penchant for hyperbole and grammatical excess undermine his arguments and credibility.  But, in this day and age where over-the-top rambling rants attract page clicks, generating traffic seems more important than formulating a cohesively readable and appropriately tone-aware argument. 

post #260 of 266
Android never targeted high end market only. Google is always trying to reach all living human being on earth (the next billion people). In order to reach as many people as possible they have to support low end devices... and it is normal to have fragmentation when you have to provide a platform for all.

By the way, Android is fragmented and you can't run some latest features of Android in low end and older phones. But isn't it the same for iPhone? The iOS itself is fragmented. It can't run Siri on my iPhone4. And there are millions like me who can't have features like this in their old iPhone. Don't give me the idea of 'Jail Breaking'. Androids have their Rooting too which can do hundred time more than any equivalent iPhone.

If you compare equivalent high end devices with same price range then Android can always do more and better than the iPhones and that's why iPhone has lost so much market share to Android. You can fool mass people but not for long.

Lastly if Google, Android and its partners are such a bunch of morons then why you (Daniel Eran Dilger) are wasting your time on it by writing a long article? What is your fear about Android and Google?
post #261 of 266
You guys do know Android doesn't need new versions to add services right? Google Play Games, announced in May, works on Froyo and up, Chrome, Maps, all of Google's Goodies can be updated and working on Froyo , no need for a whole new firmware. I think this is why google is going strong.
post #262 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Indeed.  I generally appreciate how DED connects the dots with a lot of tech topics, but his penchant for hyperbole and grammatical excess undermine his arguments and credibility.  But, in this day and age where over-the-top rambling rants attract page clicks, generating traffic seems more important than formulating a cohesively readable and appropriately tone-aware argument. 

Exactly.  Its no coincidence that DED's article appear at weekend's when these forums are pretty dead.  AI need to get traffic to get those ad impressions.  That's totally understandable, they need to pay the bills.  However, bearing that in mind you should always take his posts with a grain of salt as they are written purely to get as much controversy going as possible and to hell with truth and objectivity.

post #263 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg1001 View Post

I think this is why google is going strong.

Maybe think a little more. lol.gif

post #264 of 266
I asked my local bank what mobile operating systems they allow to access their network? Only one - iOS. In fact, they're supplying leading staff with iPads.

Linux, Android? Not a chance. Viewed only as a entry for hackers and thieves.
post #265 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

I asked my local bank what mobile operating systems they allow to access their network? Only one - iOS. In fact, they're supplying leading staff with iPads.

Linux, Android? Not a chance. Viewed only as a entry for hackers and thieves.

Are there any Mac users here old enough to remember when orgs still made platform-specific web sites?  Back in the day many were requiring Windows, and it would drive Mac folks crazy to see interoperability tossed in favor of vendor-specific implementations.  My, how times have changed.

Which bank do you use?

post #266 of 266
Google is guessing. When you try a lot of guesses, you get lucky once-in-awhile.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013?