or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013? - Page 2

post #41 of 266
Well this year annocned by apple is a new MacBook Air with now above industry battery life.

Mac Pro with beating industry in every corner.

IOS 7 with looks that are great and hard for android to copy.

Mac OS X.9 with features that make it more powerful and efficient(vs all others aiming at lower markets)

What we figure
IPad 5 -more easy to carry (extra over competitors)

IPad mini (2g)-upgraded to (currently) new tech

iPhone 5s-better camera, proccesor, flash drive improvements

Compared to Samsung releasing spec heavy phone, windows releasing a mix of its old and new windows, blackberry heading for other smartphones, ereaders fail, and google pushes more junk to the market.
post #42 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post


Ace Metrix will do an analysis of it and say

I didn't know one can copy a cure, must be the morning coffee.

 

 

Actually, drugs are copied all the time. But I digress.
post #43 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Errors of Fact:
Wrong - 57 % and falling. In fact that sharp drop off should cause concern to the “profit share” supporters, it may be caught by Samsung this year. Maybe this Q.
Wrong again. Apple earns exactly 75%. Not more

 

If you compare only Apple's slowest post-launch quarter against Samsung's best quarter in the last 4 you do get Apple having "only" 57% of the industry's profits. If you look at 2012, Apple's share of the industry was 69%, twice that of Samsung.

 

But the Canaccord Genuity numbers you cite also compare Apple's entire mobile business (including all expenses involved with developing its products) against Samsung's smartphone "cream off the top" numbers, ignoring its own chip business expenses, which are reported separately.

 

Apple's figures also reflect margins of 35-46%, compared to Samsung's 15-23%. Samsung is selling huge volumes of phones, but they are not nearly as profitable. Its higher end phones are also running out of growth. So rather than being a "falling" trend for Apple as you falsely suggest, you're really just calling attention to the intersection of Apple's sales (albeit still record setting) trough and Samsung's greatest surge of the year.

 

We shouldn't be impressed that the worlds largest phone maker is only earning 43% of the industry's profits, and is having its ass handed to it by Apple. And you should be more hesitant to "fact check" when you're not really aware of what any of the facts are or what they might mean.

post #44 of 266
I might be a little narrow-sighted but $705 - $385 pretty much indicates who has control over the smartphone industry and it isn't Apple. I'm absolutely certain shareholders will not put up with another 20% - 30% share price drop without some major investor defections. You can talk about profit margins and net usage and all those other seemingly unimportant numbers but if Apple's company value continues to collapse, none of those numbers will amount to a hill of beans. Apple will be as good as dead.

The news media and computer industry will continue to have a field day over Apple's incompetence. Apple is already the laughingstock of tech companies and pretty much considered to be a company quickly on the wane. Everyone is ripping Apple except consumers, however, as less iPhones are sold, it will be pointed out that consumers are also turning away from Apple. Only Apple knows how well it is really doing and all the news stories may only be fabricated. But the way I see it, if Apple's value continues to decline there doesn't seem to be any point of making excuses for the company. Apple really appears to be a company leisurely swimming upstream and not making any headway. Just merely happy to stay in one spot.
post #45 of 266
delete
Edited by dasanman69 - 6/29/13 at 5:00pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 266

Another error strewn, unfocused and too lengthy piece of click bait blogging from DED/Corrections.

 

For all those regulars who complain about too many non-Apple worshippers visiting these forums, articles such as these are the reason. Perhaps if AI were to use more objective sources this place might be a bit more enjoyable.

post #47 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

For all those regulars who complain about too many non-Apple worshippers visiting these forums, articles such as these are the reason. Perhaps if AI were to use more objective sources this place might be a bit more enjoyable.

 

Wait, I thought this was SamsungInsider.

post #48 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Has nothing to do with liking something, merely recounting the phony, one sided portrayal of Apple in the media and satirically examining the threat posed by Android. You are free to keep using Android, you just won't have any good apps.

But that's not the article's fault. It's the platform's fault.

Let's see what great apps Android users are missing out on

Top Paid Apps

1. WhatsApp Msgr
2. Minecraft
3. Where's My Mickey?
4. Heads Up!
5. SponggeBob Moves In
6. Contra:Evolution
7. Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage
8. Facetune
9. AfterLight
10. Kick the Buddy: No Mercy

Top Free Apps

1. Despicable Me: Minions Rush
2. Sprinkle: Water splashing game
3. Candy Crush Saga
4. Nick
5.Google Maps (who would've thunk?)
6. Escape If You Can
7. Secret Passages: Hidden Objects
8. Battery Saver (wait, what? really?)
9. Vine
10. Can You Escape

Top Grossing Apps

1. Candy Crush Saga
2. Clash of Clans
3. Pandora
4. Modern War
5. MARVEL War of Heroes
6. The Simpsons: Tapped Out
7. Hay Day
8. Kingdoms Of Camelot
9. Minecraft
10. DoubleDown Casino


Looks like the vast majority of people use their iPhones as a glorified hand held gaming device. It really doesn't look like Androiders are missing much.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #49 of 266
Apple Licensing.

Apple didn’t licence in the “early 1990’s”, if it had it might have increased market share, it licenced in the late 1990’s after the plunge.

Strawman:

The supposed problem with Apple Maps is just unfair comparisons with the look of the overfly, or 3D graphics.
In reality the real problem with Maps is the data and the seeming inability to rectify this data. This problem has been flagged by Apple users, who are the only people who would count.

 

Apple's Mac OS licensing program ran from 95 to mid 97. But Apple was also licensing the Newton OS to Sharp and other companies by 1993, and that didn't work out well either. It too had the same problems as Android has now: licensing complicated OS development while putting Apple into competition with its own licensees. The same thing could be said of Palm OS, BeOS and Windows Mobile/WinCE licensing, all of which failed to work out as planned.

 

There's lots of examples of Windows-style licensing not working, and one example of it working.

 

As for calling Flyover a "strawman," that's pretty silly given that the contempt for Apple Maps has largely been directed at its 3D images. Apple has made lots of updates to its map data and added lots of Flyover optimized territory. Google may well be better at incorporating map updates as they have 7 years of experience in running a maps business and have invested billions into it. But Google's images and POI and directions continue to be wrong, in many cases as bad or worse than Apple's 1.0 product. And its 3D efforts are way behind, despite Google Earth being around for years before Apple Maps with Flyover. That's nothing to brag about. 

post #50 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Let's see what great apps Android users are missing out on

Looks like the vast majority of people use their iPhones as a glorified hand held gaming device. It really doesn't look like Androiders are missing much.

 

Let's look at the top 10 Android paid apps shall we? (according to Google Play).

 

  • Swift Keyboard
  • Nova Launcher Prime
  • Titanium Backup Pro
  • Minecraft Pocket Edition
  • PowerAmp (music player)
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • TuneIn Radio Pro
  • Beautiful Widgets
  • Swype Keyboard
  • HD Widgets

 

So, 7 of them are to make up for deficiences users feel exist in the OS design, and 2 are games.

 

Sounds more like iOS users are enjoying their device, while Android users are spending their time and money trying to fix them to make them more useable.

 

Yup, you made your point sir.

post #51 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Errors of Fact:
Wrong - 57 % and falling. In fact that sharp drop off should cause concern to the “profit share” supporters, it may be caught by Samsung this year. Maybe this Q.

According to asymco.com at the time of the article you cite Apple was actually making 72% of the profits in the cellphone industry and (if you include iPads as PCs) 45% of the profits in the entire PC hardware industry.  It's possible that Apple may have a soft quarter just before introducing a new handset -- since it always has in the past -- but the trend is clear.  Two years ago, Apple only made 66% of the profits in the cellphone industry.

post #52 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I might be a little narrow-sighted but $705 - $385 pretty much indicates who has control over the smartphone industry and it isn't Apple. I'm absolutely certain shareholders will not put up with another 20% - 30% share price drop without some major investor defections. You can talk about profit margins and net usage and all those other seemingly unimportant numbers but if Apple's company value continues to collapse, none of those numbers will amount to a hill of beans. Apple will be as good as dead.

 

So in your understanding, investors will burn their stock and Apple will be deprived of shareholders? Because that makes zero sense.

 

Don't let your own losses cloud your judgement. Apple stock is being driven down because certain investors are making money driving the price down, and those same investors will earn lots of money when you sell them yours at the bottom. They're just waiting to see what sort of phony news (and how much of it) it takes to make the low hanging fruit drop into their pockets. 

 

Apple's share of the iPhone/iPod/Mac's markets kept going up in 2008 despite AAPL shares crashing in half, twice (!). The market doesn't "indicates who has control over" any industry. It just shows what investors who are actively buying and selling a certain security think. They are often irrational and/or have other reasons to transact.

 

It's not the stock price that matters to a company's future prospects; it's the company's fundamentals, future strategy, implementation and market potential. 

post #53 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Let's look at the top 10 Android paid apps shall we? (according to Google Play).
  • Swift Keyboard
  • Nova Launcher Prime
  • Titanium Backup Pro
  • Minecraft Pocket Edition
  • PowerAmp (music player)
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • TuneIn Radio Pro
  • Beautiful Widgets
  • Swype Keyboard
  • HD Widgets

So, 7 of them are PAYING to make up for deficiences users feel exist in the OS design, and 2 are games.

Sounds more like iOS users are enjoying their device, while Android users are spending theirs trying to fix them to make them more useable.

Google had to foresight to know that devs could improve on native apps. I constantly read complaints on Apple's keyboard here. It's nice to have a choice.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #54 of 266
Loved the article. DEDs last two weekend opinion pieces have been refreshing. Thanks for being the counterweight to to the daily trashing heaped upon Apple by the mainstream media.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #55 of 266
Good tongue in cheek article. Previous explanation for those that didn't see the humor!

"Android" phones are everywhere, but most of them have never seen an OS update, and NEVER will!
post #56 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Google had to foresight to know that devs could improve on native apps. I constantly read complaints on Apple's keyboard here. It's nice to have a choice.

 

There are keyboard apps for iOS as well, point being?

post #57 of 266

Slow news day, so some loser writes a load of garbage that will be as useful in 24 hours as the last article written about Kim Kardashian.

post #58 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Or there won't be any "paid" Samsung critics of this article on this low volume, unimportant site on the internet.

Funny that we have proof of several former users here, then, huh?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #59 of 266
What is wrong with you DED? Just screaming unfair? It is unfair only because Apple has been so successful. The problem now is that Apple is actually listening to the noise. What is wrong with the slide to unlock that has been there since iPhone 1? Why the hell they relace some idiot proof thing with a very confusing way of slide. Have you played with the iOS 7? It is as ugly as Android 1.5, and also as stupid as them. Why the hell are they paying any attention to Android and Windows. the only way Android can catch up is that Apple screw themselves up, and iOS 7 it is. I loath it. Ive just accomplished what Google and all the OEMs could not done with 6 years combined work, to make Android better than iOS. he just totally ruined iOS.
post #60 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

AI needs to abandon this guy's editorials, or editorials in general.
The article is as usual over wordy, incorrect on facts and knowledge, and ideologically driven. This week this is one nugget of sense

Errors of Fact:
Quote:
"but Apple earns three quarters of the mobile industry's profits”

Wrong - 57 % and falling. In fact that sharp drop off should cause concern to the “profit share” supporters, it may be caught by Samsung this year. Maybe this Q.

Stop posting nonsense. That 57% is data for ONE quarter. One possibly freak quarter because of a new product intro for Samsung. Many recent reports suggest that S4 sales are coming in poorly relative to projections and expectations: it will be a rather ephemeral quarter of profits for Samsung, one that's tough to repeat.

Let's check back at the end of the year, shall we? I'd venture a strong guess that DED is right and that Apple will easily end up with 75% as it has in prior years.
post #61 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

There are keyboard apps for iOS as well, point being?

C'mon they're just 'skins'.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #62 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwhAgain View Post

[post]

When you get anywhere near the truth, hop on.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #63 of 266
Another editorial. Another embarrassment for this website. Keeps getting worse and worse but I did laugh a few times.
post #64 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Given the recent implosions of BlackBerry, Palm, Nokia, Microsoft, can we safely assume that Apple is next and will likely fail before the year is out, simply because, well? Android?

Really? REALLY?

Pretty sure we could not even speculate  this would happen.

 

Now AI = News Of The World/National Enquirer.

"BatBoy killed Steve Jobs & now secretly controls Tim Cook/Apple!"

 

Report a loss? Sure.

But fail? Lose $120 billion and complete market loss? If Apple were to fail before the end of the year, I'd say that pretty much everyone in the world is screwed (as everything would have to be beyond that bad).

post #65 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Really? REALLY?
Pretty sure we could not even speculate  this would happen.

Now AI = News Of The World/National Enquirer.

"BatBoy killed Steve Jobs & now secretly controls Tim Cook/Apple!"




Report a loss? Sure.
But fail? Lose $120 billion and complete market loss? If Apple were to fail before the end of the year, I'd say that pretty much everyone in the world is screwed (as everything would have to be beyond that bad).

It's called scare tactics and it's the latest rage since 9/11.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #66 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska99801 View Post

Really, you needed that headline to sell your words? A bit whorish!

Imaging a consumer looking to buy an Apple device, and searching the web and finding your article, "Can Apple Survive 2013". And we are already only six months away from the end of 2013.
I if I didn't know better, unlike most consumers, and with the beating the stock is getting (with no real reason, except speculation), would take my money elsewhere. Why would anyone buy from a company that might go out of business this year?

You see, you think that most people understand your nuances, or read the piece. No, a headline is good enough for the regular consumer.

A good point. A more appropriate headline would have been a smarter idea.
post #67 of 266

Did not even bother to read it. This continuous stream of garbage articles coming out of AppleInsider is disappointing.  It is not why I started coming to this site.  There used to be some interesting rumors and technical info, but all these articles about Apple failing, or not failing, or how many Android phones got sold, or what Microsoft screwed up has gotten old.  There is no more "inside Apple", the name should be changed from AppleInsider, to Johnny Junior Journalist "Generating Web Hits" Merit Badge Training Site".   

 

I am interested in Apple products and technology, not Android, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, or Samsung.  Apple will chart its own course that will keep it very profitable serving legions of happy customers.  

post #68 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

Lots of interesting facts in the article. I know it is an editorial opinion piece but the whole tone of it seems to miss that Google/Samsung/Android OEMs/MSFT, just like Apple, is generally made up of some very smart people. I don't think many of us could march in there and start giving lessons about how they actually should run their businesses. Absolutely, they are executing different strategies, some of which will end in failure and some of which will be valuable.

 

But Apple's not on its horse madly galloping off in all directions as are 'Foogle/FacsimileSam,Crapdroid OEMs, MFMicoSloth' on their stags.

 

I sort of suspect this is the gist of the article; but I've been told I was wrong before.

Once.  1oyvey.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #69 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

 

Those that can, do; those that can't, blog.

What does that mean for those of us who just post silly comments?

post #70 of 266
Quote:
Wolf added, "Indeed, most buyers of these phones use them as feature phones."

 

I've been saying this for a while. The feature-smart phones are sold to those who just need a phone to make calls, text, maybe share/take photos, and maybe for driving directions. They opt for these as they can get them near the same price as flat feature phone. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Apple is more like the scientist who cures cancer, only to hear complaints of "why didn't you do that last year?" and "so you're not going to cure my obesity? What a jerk!"

 

I think Apple is treated more like conservatives from the liberal media. If a scandal happens with their own people, it is ignored, while every little non-issue Apple has is screamed about from the rooftops. 

post #71 of 266

The article loses a lot of its sarcastic wittiness with such poor editing. 

 

Poor choice of title. A number of repeated sentences, and grammatical mistakes.

 

But if you are going to use that title, it would probably have been better with just the title, the first couple paragraphs and the last paragraph because the entire middle part of the article appears to be just an accidental copy and paste mistake from some unrelated Google bashing article.


Edited by mstone - 6/29/13 at 6:30pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #72 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Or there won't be any "paid" Samsung critics of this article on this low volume, unimportant site on the internet.

Funny that we have proof of several former users here, then, huh?

I must have missed that. What proof and which users?
post #73 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

AI needs to abandon this guy's editorials, or editorials in general.
The article is as usual over wordy, incorrect on facts and knowledge, and ideologically driven. This week this is one nugget of sense

Errors of Fact:
Wrong - 57 % and falling. In fact that sharp drop off should cause concern to the “profit share” supporters, it may be caught by Samsung this year. Maybe this Q.
Wrong again. Apple earns exactly 75%. Not more.

Apple Licensing.

Apple didn’t licence in the “early 1990’s”, if it had it might have increased market share, it licenced in the late 1990’s after the plunge.

Strawman:

The supposed problem with Apple Maps is just unfair comparisons with the look of the overfly, or 3D graphics.
In reality the real problem with Maps is the data and the seeming inability to rectify this data. This problem has been flagged by Apple users, who are the only people who would count.


Errors of logic:

Google:
Claim:
Google has failed because it doesn’t have enough hardware sales:
In fact Google is giving it away for free so they don't care about upfront profits, nor apps. What Google wants to do is get it’s OS on mobiles, so that its search engine and other services like Maps are out there. It originally set up this team to combat Bing on mobiles, and they saw the iPhone and decided that multi-touch was the future. This pissed off Apple, but Google were not really going after Apple - well except for Rubin who didn’t like Apple.

Samsung

The article admitting that Samsung is successful in it’s hardware and systems, then it is argued to be at the mercy of Microsoft, or Google for the OS. Another way of saying "at the mercy off" is they are getting free r+d from both companies. And Samsung can fork the OS for Google if it wants. Like Kindle did. No real argument there.

Tiny nugget of vauge sense.

The only part that makes some kind of sense is the bit about iOS 7, he’s probably right about the transparency being there to differentiate between it and Android. That doesn’t look so successful yet, though, the jury is out. But it might, if so lower end Androids won't be able to do it.

The other thing missed about iOS 7, unsurprisingly since the ideology of this kind of head in the sand editorial is that everything is JUST FINE M’Kay, is that it probably augurs in an era of cheaper phones - the colors - and indeterminate screens, larger or smaller. After all, if buttons are now borderless text resizing your app takes no work, no designer needed.
Apparently not.

 

Nothing personal (even though you are making it personal yourself), but I find your retort to be full of exaggeration and misdirection as well.  

 

The only real "errors" you've found in this piece are the "errors of fact" at the beginning, but while you are correct that the author is technically mistaken (basically he's dealing with data from last year instead of this year), you exaggerate these same "facts" to prove your own point.  There isn't a "sharp drop-off" of any kind, there is a decline, possibly even a downward trend (next quarter will show whether that is true), but to call it a "sharp drop-off" is as incorrect as the author's "approximate" language.  

 

All your other points are just your interpretation of things.  The lens through which you see your own "facts."  

 

For instance, you assume he's making a certain point about Google (one that I didn't think he was), then say that he's "wrong" because the real point is … and then you insert a completely different straw man of your own.  

 

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt (as I do the author), and assume that you aren't purposely skewing things here but merely passing on your point of view.  Perhaps you should do the same yourself. 1smile.gif

post #74 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Did not even bother to read it. This continuous stream of garbage articles coming out of AppleInsider is disappointing.  It is not why I started coming to this site.  . . . ".   

I am interested in Apple products and technology, not Android, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, or Samsung.  Apple will chart its own course that will keep it very profitable serving legions of happy customers.  

But it's kinda fun. And so many Apple point sites are besieged by trolls, and then suffer commonality and apologetic transvestite*-itis. The great thing is that at AI one can block the troll and the obnoxious and the dialogue can continue; the writers can say it as it is and we can choose to agree or disagree to degrees not found on most forums. It's like a fair-ring pugilistic go round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

.  . . . ".   

I am interested in Apple products and technology, not Android, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, or Samsung.  Apple will chart its own course that will keep it very profitable serving legions of happy customers.  

Very good points, msimpson. And it is the good points that add such value to all the articles on AI.

* no offence meant to transvestites. Honestly.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #75 of 266

Interesting article. I'm looking forward to seeing what 2014 brings. (Why, though, can DED not understand when to use 'an' instead of 'a'?)

 

The shrill intensity of the Android shills ("Android shrills"?) who are paid to come here and rain on every piece of iOS news has gone beyond anything remotely amusing. Its very noticeable how little interest they have in OSX news, and thus those threads tend to be the only sane one left. What is doubly depressing is that I suspect many are not actually getting paid — they are just converts to the cause of stealing stuff.

 

Now that is a bit sad if true — that these Android Kulture Konverts are not being paid to advocate stealing IP. I guess they know they will never be in the position of owning any IP so advocating stealing won't come back to bite them in twenty years. 

 

At least they should pray it won't.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #76 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When you get anywhere near the truth, hop on.
You think you know anything? You think Jobs kept Ive's fingers from iOS all these years just because he was stupid? And Forstall had been doing a lousy job all these years? Ive could just burst in and build something better than the old team had been doing 8 years? Get your brain checked? If iOS 7 is release as the current form, 5 years later Apple will be today's Blackberry. Mark my words.
post #77 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Let's see what great apps Android users are missing out on

Top Paid Apps

1. WhatsApp Msgr
2. Minecraft
3. Where's My Mickey?
4. Heads Up!
5. SponggeBob Moves In
6. Contra:Evolution
7. Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage
8. Facetune
9. AfterLight
10. Kick the Buddy: No Mercy

Top Free Apps

1. Despicable Me: Minions Rush
2. Sprinkle: Water splashing game
3. Candy Crush Saga
4. Nick
5.Google Maps (who would've thunk?)
6. Escape If You Can
7. Secret Passages: Hidden Objects
8. Battery Saver (wait, what? really?)
9. Vine
10. Can You Escape

Top Grossing Apps

1. Candy Crush Saga
2. Clash of Clans
3. Pandora
4. Modern War
5. MARVEL War of Heroes
6. The Simpsons: Tapped Out
7. Hay Day
8. Kingdoms Of Camelot
9. Minecraft
10. DoubleDown Casino


Looks like the vast majority of people use their iPhones as a glorified hand held gaming device. It really doesn't look like Androiders are missing much.

Don't underestimate the gaming market. Games are huge, and often apps that are actually profitable.

It's also an area of advantage for iOS. While Android also has most of the cheap/free/ad-supported games, they miss out on the high profile titles.

Will Android ever get the most beloved Star Wars game of modern times? Unlikely. There's much less money to be made on Android.

With the new APIs, expect Apple to further emphasize gaming.
post #78 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
 

 

Note:  That diagram is wrong and needs to be thrown out.  It is mistakenly based on an early incorrect understanding of what Samsung calls "SAFE":

 

If "SAFE" were only only about MS Sync, encryption, VPN and MDM, then quite a few Android and iOS devices made for the past few years would be "SAFE".  

 

Instead, "SAFE" refers ONLY to Samsung's particular enhancements of specific, new MS and MDM features.  So the correct diagram is:

 

 

Quote:
That translucency requires A4 processing power, 

 

Nope.  Translucency is one of the easiest graphics transformations and does not require much power.

 

(We were doing it years ago on lowly 200 MHz Windows Mobile smartphones.)


Edited by KDarling - 6/29/13 at 6:46pm
post #79 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I might be a little narrow-sighted but $705 - $385 pretty much indicates who has control over the smartphone industry and it isn't Apple. I'm absolutely certain shareholders will not put up with another 20% - 30% share price drop without some major investor defections. You can talk about profit margins and net usage and all those other seemingly unimportant numbers but if Apple's company value continues to collapse, none of those numbers will amount to a hill of beans. Apple will be as good as dead.

The news media and computer industry will continue to have a field day over Apple's incompetence. Apple is already the laughingstock of tech companies and pretty much considered to be a company quickly on the wane. Everyone is ripping Apple except consumers, however, as less iPhones are sold, it will be pointed out that consumers are also turning away from Apple. Only Apple knows how well it is really doing and all the news stories may only be fabricated. But the way I see it, if Apple's value continues to decline there doesn't seem to be any point of making excuses for the company. Apple really appears to be a company leisurely swimming upstream and not making any headway. Just merely happy to stay in one spot.

 

The problem here is that you stubbornly refuse to realise that "The Market" and what it thinks of Apple, along with the share price, is probably one of the worst metrics of Apple's success or lack of.  

 

"The Market" is a rigged crap shoot based on emotion.  Factually, Apple is doing great on every front.

 

Some inarguable actual facts about Apple:

 

- best design of hardware

- best design of software

- best managed company in tech sector

- chief innovator in the tech sector overall

- most profits overall

- most "locked in" consumers

- best roadmap for the future

- complete control of their supply chain

- "market leader" in every sense that matters.

- most popular products in their category

- highest customer satisfaction for all products in their category

- one of the most stable companies in history

 

Soon we will be able to also add that they have complete control of all the key technologies in their products.  

 

Compared to those facts, whether or not a bunch of immoral, dimwitted, sociopathic stockbrokers think Apple is worth anything is completely irrelevant.  

The market is random at best, corruption is rampant within it, and the people you are relying on for "facts" have a different agenda than you think.  

post #80 of 266
Let us not forget that Apple makes its profits from hardware sales. Even if the iPhone would have to later start running Android, I am sure Apple will still make make sales and profits.

And Android being open and running on several high-end, and low-end phone isn't any different from the way Windows has been running on several high-end and low-end laptops. Apple was still selling the Macs, and still making a lot of profits.

The fact that Apple does its own software makes its hardware unique... and that uniqueness is what drives sales of their products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013?