or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone Lite' rear panels show an array of colors

Purported 'iPhone Lite' rear panels show an array of colors

post #1 of 130
New pictures appear to show plastic back panels for Apple's anticipated low-cost iPhone, displayed in bright colors that are a major shift from the current black and white models.

iPhone Lite

The image shared by Nowherelse.fr appears to show the back panels in yellow, green and red. The parts include the iPhone brand, Apple's logo, and space for a camera lens, LED flash, and rear-facing microphone.

Aside from being made of plastic and offering new colors, the parts appear to have a similar form factor to the current iPhone 5, including a taller display than previous models. That fits in with rumors that the so-called "iPhone Lite" will stick with the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5.

iPhone Lite

The design also matches up with leaked schematics provided to AppleInsider that claim to reveal the design of Apple's low-cost iPhone. The device is expected to have rounded corners and a design slightly thicker than the iPhone 5.

iPhone Lite

The red and yellow colors pictured would correspond with current color options for the iPod touch, though Apple does not offer a green model at the moment. Apple does offer green variants of the iPod nano and iPod shuffle, however.

Other possible color options were detailed in a report in May that claimed the new low-end iPhone will come in navy, gold, orange, white, and gray.
post #2 of 130
Apple would never use colors like that.
post #3 of 130
I predict iPod touch colors. But colors nonetheless.

This will essentially be the iPod mini to the iPhone. I also think it will come in one config (16GB).
post #4 of 130
The green is not so bad 1wink.gif But, as with many rumours, "wait and see" 1smile.gif
post #5 of 130
IF this is the low cost iPhone it better be priced cheap as it certainly looks cheap. How is it that they can make beautiful iPod touches and these look so crappy? I hope this isn't true an these are some crap Chinese knockoffs.
post #6 of 130

If the back of those phones are matte and possibly rubbery these could be a hit with the soccer moms/kids who drop it all the time. Bit weird that Apple would deviate from being a premium brand though.

post #7 of 130
Well, I know they aren't "finished" as they need a lot of country specific info, bit wouldn't the red at least be the color of, and have the logo of, the Product (Red) products?
post #8 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscaskey View Post

If the back of those phones are matte and possibly rubbery these could be a hit with the soccer moms/kids who drop it all the time. Bit weird that Apple would deviate from being a premium brand though.

Ya- matte wouldn't be bad- but these definitely aren't good. Definite wait and see here. I highly doubt they're real. The iPod touch colors are beautiful- but also aluminum.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #9 of 130
It's time to open a new site, googleinsider.
post #10 of 130

FAKE!

Why are you posting these terrible pictures AI?

There is no way in hell Apple would ever make a product that looks remotely like these so called "iPhone Lites"

post #11 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvn View Post

Hmmm well, I thought that until iOS7.

post #12 of 130
This is a done deal people. Deal w it. And FYI most of you will never see them in person since they're heading for emerging markets.
post #13 of 130

Fake looking. Neon lime green? Please.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 130
Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave if this is true. Tim Cook is definetely taking Apple to another way that is not part of Job's Philosophy.
post #15 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave if this is true. Tim Cook is definetely taking Apple to another way that is not part of Job's culture.

Steve is not rolling in his grave because this is not what the low cost iPhone will look like.

I remember in one of Steve's first interviews after the iPhone 1 was announced for $499, he said that he wished he could price the phone at $99 and get it into everyones hands because it was such an amazing experience. An "iPhone for everyone" has probably always been in Steve's heart and has probably always been in Apple's plans.

post #16 of 130
I got a good laugh. These aren't real. Maybe in bootleg China
post #17 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fake looking. Neon lime green? Please.

I remember when the iBook first came out. I got one of the neon lime green ones. It was fun at the time.

post #18 of 130
Just because we don't like something doesn't mean it's not real. I hope these are fake or just prototypes that won't ever see the light of day but who knows. If they are for real the better be priced super cheap cuz that's how they look.
post #19 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just because we don't like something doesn't mean it's not real. I hope these are fake or just prototypes that won't ever see the light of day but who knows. If they are for real the better be priced super cheap cuz that's how they look.

Even if they look cheap the internal components cost as much as the iPhone 5. 

There is no way Apple prices these lower than $399 and likewise there is no way anyone would buy them if they look this ugly at that price.

That's why these are probably prototype chassises or Chinese fakes. No way in hell these are real.

post #20 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

This is a done deal people. Deal w it. .

Hardly. It's not a done deal until Tim and Friends announce it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #21 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave if this is true. Tim Cook is definetely taking Apple to another way that is not part of Job's Philosophy.

Nope. Steve gave Tim his blessing not to ever ask 'what would Steve do' and to take the company wherever Tim feels is the right place.

So he would only be rolling in his grave if Tim did ask that question.

post #22 of 130
Quote:

It's just a bad picture, as are almost all pictures of this type.  If you throw it into photoshop, adjust it for how stupidly dark it is, and then assume that the yellow one is a normal bright yellow colour and adjust for that, then they all look a lot better.  

These appear to me to be very standard colours along the lines of "lemon yellow," "choral pink," and "lime green."

post #23 of 130
Steve told Tim to not ask, "What would Steve do?" Just do it because Apple was now his company. Steve trusted Tim to do right by the company. So far Tim has not done wrong by the company! Product sales continue break records. Profits continue to break records. Innovation continues to be designed and developed by the company. WWDC was a major success and folks are still analyzing iOS 7 to understand exactly what is coming for the operating system later this year. Looking at what Tim did before and has done since Steve died is absolutely amazing.
post #24 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Well, I know they aren't "finished" as they need a lot of country specific info, bit wouldn't the red at least be the color of, and have the logo of, the Product (Red) products?

It depends a lot on the lighting of the picture.  

Here is a Product Red iPod nano that looks like almost the exact same colour to me:

And the colours they have available depend on the material also.  

Anodised red metal will always be a different colour than red plastic and different types of plastic will look like different shades of red even when dyed with the exact same colourant.  

post #25 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Even if they look cheap the internal components cost as much as the iPhone 5. 

There is no way Apple prices these lower than $399 and likewise there is no way anyone would buy them if they look this ugly at that price.

That's why these are probably prototype chassises or Chinese fakes. No way in hell these are real.
I hope you're right. But if they're going to charge $400 or more why does the case need to be ugly plastic?
post #26 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtd2870 View Post

I got a good laugh. These aren't real. Maybe in bootleg China

They might be real.  If not they are a pretty good fake IMO.  

One fact that I find kind of hilarious is that the leaked "iPhone 5s" motherboards from last week have exactly the same attachment points as the screw holes in these snaps.  

I think it would just be hilarious if this is not only an Apple product, but actually is the iPhone 5s.  1smile.gif

Overall though, I can see this product being real.  A slightly thicker body means even longer battery life, possibly pushing more than 20 hours.  If it has "last years" guts in it, and a plastic super durable body, it could easily sell for less than $200 off contract and a device like that would literally fly off the shelves.  

If ever there was a moment that Apple would reach for market share for a product, this is probably it.  The top end of the market is already saturating.  If they can pull this off then they will have it all.  

The main thing that I think argues against this low cost iPhone is the fact that they just finished turning iOS into something that almost requires a super fast processor and tons of system memory to work well at all.  So unless this thing runs iOS 6, that doesn't make much sense.  Alternatively, the "low cost" iPhone could have last year's everything *except* the processor could be still be "this year's" if in fact they have found a way to ramp up production on the processors and reduce their overall costs.  Considering they own all the tech for them, it's possible. 

post #27 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

I remember when the iBook first came out. I got one of the neon lime green ones. It was fun at the time.

iMacs too, but those tones were better looking than what appears in these photos--brighter, not "neon". Well, I guess I stand corrected insofar as saying Apple would never use bright green. But these look unusually tacky. I hope that Apple's actual shades are more tasteful than these. I still think that these are clever forgeries. I hope I'm right.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It depends a lot on the lighting of the picture.  
Here is a Product Red iPod nano that looks like almost the exact same colour to me:

And the colours they have available depend on the material also.  
Anodised red metal will always be a different colour than red plastic and different types of plastic will look like different shades of red even when dyed with the exact same colourant.  

No, the Apple photo appears (to me) to be a darker and more uniform red. Maybe the color balance is off in the spy photo. You know how these spy photos are taken with cheap, grainy Android cameras. 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 130
Quote:

Right. 1rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #30 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No, the Apple photo appears (to me) to be a darker and more uniform red. Maybe the color balance is off in the spy photo. You know how these spy photos are taken with cheap, grainy Android cameras. 1wink.gif

Well exactly.  I made this point myself earlier.  People saying "ugh!" over a crappy spy photo aren't thinking straight.  Apple takes a huge amount of care and time to get the colours and lighting just right in their product shots.  These kind of snaps are obviously not going to be anything like that.  

Even then they can grow on you.  The latest iPod touches looked pretty hideous to me at first, now they don't.  This is also a fairly standard human reaction to something that is new.  

Edit: I should add that I am still not 100% convinced and probably won't be until I see the value proposition that these are really Apple phones.  But the idea that they "couldn't be" is not right.  They could very well be.  

Edited by Gazoobee - 6/30/13 at 7:46pm
post #31 of 130
People who say Steve is rolling in his grave obviously don't remember Blue Dalmation and Flower Power iMacs.

If I had to guess these are real. They are also very similar to the new colors in iOS 7 if you look at the marketing materials on apple.com
post #32 of 130
It looks like cheap rubbish plastic, made of PP or PE, not even a premium plastic. I really doubt if it is true, more like a bad fake to me.
post #33 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope you're right. But if they're going to charge $400 or more why does the case need to be ugly plastic?

Considering the regular iPhone sells for $600, lowering the price by $200 requires sacrifices.
post #34 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

They might be real.  If not they are a pretty good fake IMO.  

One fact that I find kind of hilarious is that the leaked "iPhone 5s" motherboards from last week have exactly the same attachment points as the screw holes in these snaps.  
I think it would just be hilarious if this is not only an Apple product, but actually is the iPhone 5s.  1smile.gif

Overall though, I can see this product being real.  A slightly thicker body means even longer battery life, possibly pushing more than 20 hours.  If it has "last years" guts in it, and a plastic super durable body, it could easily sell for less than $200 off contract and a device like that would literally fly off the shelves.  

If ever there was a moment that Apple would reach for market share for a product, this is probably it.  The top end of the market is already saturating.  If they can pull this off then they will have it all.  

The main thing that I think argues against this low cost iPhone is the fact that they just finished turning iOS into something that almost requires a super fast processor and tons of system memory to work well at all.  So unless this thing runs iOS 6, that doesn't make much sense.  Alternatively, the "low cost" iPhone could have last year's everything *except* the processor could be still be "this year's" if in fact they have found a way to ramp up production on the processors and reduce their overall costs.  Considering they own all the tech for them, it's possible. 

iOS 7 shouldn't require anything more than an A5.

Certainly, the iPhone "lite" could use "last year's" internals, which would be an A6.

I think the bigger hurdle would be retina display, which is almost required for iOS 7.
post #35 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

iOS 7 shouldn't require anything more than an A5.

In fact, as it runs on an A4...
Quote:
I think the bigger hurdle would be retina display, which is almost required for iOS 7.

An iPhone without a retina display would truly be a phone for idiots.

post #36 of 130
WHAT. This can't be real.

Actually I'm pretty sure they're not real because they're missing model number "designed by apple in california" all the FCC symbols.
post #37 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In fact, as it runs on an A4...
An iPhone without a retina display would truly be a phone for idiots.

I meant to run flawlessly. In the past, certain iOS releases have run on older hardware but with limited features.

And yeah, I don't see Apple ever releasing a phone sans retina display. But that presents a hurdle as far as price.

Perhaps they'll forgoe the rear camera a la the new iPod touch.
post #38 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Perhaps they'll forgoe the rear camera a la the new iPod touch.

An iPhone without a CAMERA? The most popular camera in the world... without a camera? 1eek.gif

There's a limit to the stinginess of the people to whom Apple wants to sell.

post #39 of 130
Quote:

Disgusting obnoxious pastels? I'm guessing you haven't seen the iPod Nano or Touch line, then.

post #40 of 130
The iPhone Lite makes shareholders happy...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone Lite' rear panels show an array of colors