or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now No. 1 in customer satisfaction on Samsung's home turf of South Korea

Apple now No. 1 in customer satisfaction on Samsung's home turf of South Korea

post #1 of 45
Apple's products are renowned around the world for quality, but now the company's iPhone has achieved yet another milestone: it has taken the top spot for customer satisfaction in South Korea the home country of Apple's chief rival, Samsung.

phone

Quality Insights released its most recent report on customer satisfaction within the South Korean smartphone market, and Apple beat out Samsung according to Naver. The report surveyed 44,168 smartphone owners to see how they would rate their satisfaction with both the device's performance over the course of one year and the manufacturer's customer service over that same period.

Apple's after-sale service rated highest with South Korean consumers among all manufacturers, with a 52 percent satisfaction rate. That topped a 50 percent satisfaction rate for Samsung, as well as a 46 percent satisfaction rate for South Korea's LG.

Respondents reported more satisfaction with Apple's speed in processing device repairs. Consumers that owned iPhones were also the least likely to have to send their devices in for repairs.

Apple's devices typically sit atop or near the top of customer satisfaction surveys year after year. The bestselling handset has won J.D. Power's customer satisfaction nine times in a row, with its score so high that it actually pulled up the average of the entire smartphone industry.

The Cupertino company takes great pride in its customer satisfaction ratings. CEO Tim Cook will often point out how well Apple ranks in customer satisfaction, noting that that factor drives customer loyalty, repurchase rates, and commerce within the iOS ecosystem.
post #2 of 45
"CEO Tim Cook will often point out how well Apple ranks in customer satisfaction, noting that that factor drives customer loyalty, repurchase rats, and commerce within the iOS ecosystem."

Didn't know they sell rats.
post #3 of 45

While that is good news for Apple, a 2% difference is usually well within the error rate of any surveys such as this. It's basically noise.

post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkingman View Post

"CEO Tim Cook will often point out how well Apple ranks in customer satisfaction, noting that that factor drives customer loyalty, repurchase rats, and commerce within the iOS ecosystem."

LOL. EPIC.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

While that is good news for Apple, a 2% difference is usually well within the error rate of any surveys such as this. It's basically noise.

I agree. However, since Samsung is a big deal in Korea, there is certainly a level of biased that will take place.

post #6 of 45
Quote:

What is the error rate?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 45
Quote:

The iRat, a larger version if the Apple mouse.

I suppose Sammy's checks didn't clear for enough Koreans.
post #8 of 45
MobileBeat had a bit more on the survey:

"iPhones have few failures, Korean respondents said, with only 17 percent having any issue with their Apple smartphone, while 31 percent reported issues with Android-based Samsung phones."
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

MobileBeat had a bit more on the survey:

"iPhones have few failures, Korean respondents said, with only 17 percent having any issue with their Apple smartphone, while 31 percent reported issues with Android-based Samsung phones."

And still Samsung managed to come within 2 points of Apple. That is what Apple is competing against in Korea.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What is the error rate?

No clue as they don't have it on that linked page, but there's no way it's under 2%.  Even the best of surveys that have the least amount of sampling error usually never have smaller error rates than 2-3%.

But as said by Seankill, that Samsung and Apple are basically within a statistical dead heat is a bad sign for Samsung.

post #11 of 45

I think that's very good for Korean consumers.

Apple will do for Korean consumers what Sony and other TV companies did for Korean customers. When Sony first entered Korea, they gave customers extended warranties and placed a bit of downward price pressure. This caused Samsung and LG to follow suit by increasing their warranties and offering their own price cuts.

Let's face it. Samsung doesn't have the best track record for after sales support. That seems to have changed quite a bit in America due to the competitive market. That's why I can see Apple's presence forcing Samsung to kick things up a notch and improve sales support. Samsung's stores in Korea and elsewhere should help in this regard. 

post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I agree. However, since Samsung is a big deal in Korea, there is certainly a level of biased that will take place.

You mean bias toward Korean products? So you're telling me that that consumers within any given country will lean toward a brand they're more familiar with? You don't say!

[In case the sarcasm wasn't obvious, American consumers are no different. That's where marketing really plays a role in establishing brand presence]

Not to say this isn't a notable achievement on Apple's part. I'm not really surprised Apple ranks highly in Korea. In my last travels there, I saw quite a few iPhones and iPod Touches. One of my former coworkers was able to pick up the latter in Seoul. 

post #13 of 45

Spamdroids, get used to Samdung is doomed?  Welcome to new normal!

post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

There were many, many armchair bloggers and Apple fanboys predicting Android's doom and gloom well before its takeoff. There were articles titled "Why Android Will Never Become Competitive" all over the web.

And yet, I can easily dig up a news commentary article spelling Apple's demise right now.

Not to say I take people making either prediction all too seriously. Most clickbait bloggers don't even have advanced degrees in math or finance. 

post #15 of 45
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post

I think that's very good for Korean consumers.

Apple will do for Korean consumers what Sony and other TV companies did for Korean customers. When Sony first entered Korea, they gave customers extended warranties and placed a bit of downward price pressure. This caused Samsung and LG to follow suit by increasing their warranties and offering their own price cuts.

Let's face it. Samsung doesn't have the best track record for after sales support. That seems to have changed quite a bit in America due to the competitive market. That's why I can see Apple's presence forcing Samsung to kick things up a notch and improve sales support. Samsung's stores in Korea and elsewhere should help in this regard.

Margin of error is a factor of overall population size compared to sample size in the survey.

This site offers a MOE calculator:

http://americanresearchgroup.com/moe.html

Based on a population of 49.78 million in South Korea and the stated sample size of the survey of 44,168 (a very large sample), you get a MOE of 0.47%.

This appears to be a good bit more than statistical noise.
post #16 of 45
I've had pretty bad luck with Samsung electronics. They die an ugly and rapid death soon after the short warranty period.

I was using a Daewoo monitor with my Mac mini and I then got a Samsung for dual monitors, and it failed after two years and the Daewoo is going strong a year later. Using the two products side by side, the Daewoo has given me about double the useful life.
post #17 of 45

So 52% gets you top spot? Doesn't seem like South Koreans are "satisfied".

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #18 of 45
Wall Street doesn't care about useless consumer after-sales numbers. Hedge funds realize good customer service eats into profits. How about Apple doing something that's really impressive for a change? Like really knocking the socks off investors when it comes to actual iPhone sales or is that asking too much of Timid Cook. If keeping customers satisfied is his only way of boosting Apple's shareholder value, then I guess he's ready to take a paycheck cut sooner than later. Timid Cook had better try to convince S. Koreans they'd all be better off buying iPhones than some home%u2013grown smartphone.
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

More like spermdroids: they come by the millions, yet you're lucky if one actually works.

Also, the article would've been even better if they also mentioned that Tim Cook said: "most companies end the relationship with its customers after a sale. At Apple, that's when the relationship starts".
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #20 of 45
Mr. Odo, why the heck are you here? After reading your post(s) I actually want to knock you off your socks. And I'm not a man of war.
post #21 of 45
Quote:

As long as it's not rat bastards it's ok. lol.gif
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So 52% gets you top spot? Doesn't seem like South Koreans are "satisfied".

I have been working as a consultant in (South) Korea for almost three years, and I can absolutely say that wealthy Korean people are among the hardest to deal with anywhere (and I have worked in almost 40 countries in my lifetime). Praise does never happen, everything gets challenged... quite an environment. After the first year even our best and normally most diligent staff members were working to rule. The office was vacated every day at 5pm sharp. (I have not seen this in any project on earth before.)

So, yes, 52% seems like a pretty big achievement here. Congrats!
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

Based on a population of 49.78 million in South Korea and the stated sample size of the survey of 44,168 (a very large sample), you get a MOE of 0.47%.

This appears to be a good bit more than statistical noise.

Excellent. Plus, in a survey as specific as this one, you would normally not account for the full population size, but the number of smartphone owners, which would reduce the MOE even further.
post #24 of 45
Quote:

LOL. EPIC.

Bingo! Best Post! :)

post #25 of 45
Poor Constable Odo, I get that you are worried about your stock. I'd block your name, but I see your name in just about every comment section for every finance site with an article on AAPL. Such unrelenting gloom. Do you even follow what Apple is really about?

Please consider the history here, APPL is known for falling 40 even 50 percent practically yearly since 2002. This is a rough stock for an old guy to hold and sleep at night. Either you accept the rocky ride or sell the damn thing!

There are plenty of us in the same boat, but we aren't trashing the actual company nor the actual CEO. Certainly we are furious about the hedge fund raiders and the like. I read a WSJ article recently that talked about the 'rent takers' that spring up whenever there is an innovative company. They want a piece of the action. Ironically the article didn't mention themselves (analysts) as the worst of the lot. So, if you are considering buying Tesla stock you will likely be in for the same hate-fest as Apple, complete with paid media shills. Media really needs cash, bad.

Do try to endure as best you can. It will get better. Of course WHEN is the important question if you are old. Maybe you should sell your stock and stop with the anguish.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #26 of 45
Quote:

Only in Asia. Apple leads the market in rat sales. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Wall Street doesn't care about useless consumer after-sales numbers. Hedge funds realize good customer service eats into profits. How about Apple doing something that's really impressive for a change? Like really knocking the socks off investors when it comes to actual iPhone sales or is that asking too much of Timid Cook. If keeping customers satisfied is his only way of boosting Apple's shareholder value, then I guess he's ready to take a paycheck cut sooner than later. Timid Cook had better try to convince S. Koreans they'd all be better off buying iPhones than some home%u2013grown smartphone.

Haha. I'm still waiting for Apple to do something impressive too. Recreating the MP3 player, smartphone, tablet markets is child's play. Pffft at the most profitable (raw $$) year in corporate history. That's so 2012. Record setting sales of iDevices? Please, next year's competitors will always outship existing Apple products.
/s
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Poor Constable Odo...

Do try to endure as best you can. It will get better. Of course WHEN is the important question if you are old. Maybe you should sell your stock and stop with the anguish.

I think he's just here for self-inflicting pain.
post #29 of 45
Quote:

So record profits & revenue quarter after quarter, year after year isn't good enough for you?
post #30 of 45
Quote:

How about Apple doing something that's really impressive for a change?

Just shut up and go away.

Why anyone would waste their time with you anymore is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #31 of 45

Good news for Apple really.

I think this position would not change easily.  This is because nice looking iPhones are easy products to handle by general public.  Can not go wrong with icons, can it?  

post #32 of 45
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just shut up and go away.

Why anyone would waste their time with you anymore is beyond me.

Hey TS,

Why did't you shut up and go away? He was making a quite valid point.

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

He was making a quite valid point.
Quote:

How about Apple doing something that's really impressive for a change?

This is a "valid point" to you. This. This is a "valid point".

Explain why, then. Explain how Apple hasn't done anything impressive since October 2011.

This ought to be good.

post #34 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

What is the error rate?

No clue as they don't have it on that linked page, but there's no way it's under 2%.  Even the best of surveys that have the least amount of sampling error usually never have smaller error rates than 2-3%.

But as said by Seankill, that Samsung and Apple are basically within a statistical dead heat is a bad sign for Samsung.

What is the error rate with a sample size of 40,000+?

Let us know after you've done the calculation, will you?

Add: Titan Tiger beat me to it! But I'll leave in my comment to lower the margin or error that people might miss seeing the silliness of your post (in case they missed his).lol.gif

post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post

Not to say I take people making either prediction all too seriously. Most clickbait bloggers don't even have advanced degrees in math or finance. 

Brilliant comment considering most people don't have advanced degrees in any given discipline.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Poor Constable Odo, I get that you are worried about your stock. I'd block your name, but I see your name in just about every comment section for every finance site with an article on AAPL.

Very sad, if true.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #37 of 45
Well Samsung can't keep there home country happy is surprising. You know how they bias there products for better there. But apple having one model of its phone in all 7 continents would've apples win (exclude Antarctica if a apple device can not be officially bought there)
post #38 of 45
Quote:

Apple is an engineering and design company that focuses on engineering and design. They are succeeding if consumers are happy with their products. Anyone, hedge funds or otherwise, who believes that profits come before customer service is rather short-sighted and dim-witted. 

While boosting shareholder value is what most CEOs pay lip service to, it is a dumb way to run a company in the long term. It is no different than a Head of State making speeches about civil liberty, knowing full well that it often conflicts with national security (not to mention political curiosity). Jobs knew that, and Cooks seems to know it, too, even if he has stooped to share buybacks. So, screw the hedge funds and keep the customers happier and happier.

post #39 of 45
I can understand there being an error rate on interpreted data but you don't have to interpret "are you satisfied, yes or no".
52% still seems low, they must be very hard to please.
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Agreed, the point of this is that it is in Samsung's home country where they are a juggernaut conglomerate.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple now No. 1 in customer satisfaction on Samsung's home turf of South Korea
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple now No. 1 in customer satisfaction on Samsung's home turf of South Korea