or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple hires Paul Deneve of French fashion house YSL [u]

Apple hires Paul Deneve of French fashion house YSL [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 70

Hired in an 'unknown' role. Well it's about time, Apple has traditionally be very weak in the unknown department.

Mind you I suspect that he has been hired to bring Cook's portrait posing up to company standards.

post #42 of 70
Suggesting the mention of iWatch has raised the price of Apple stock, I think is pretty poor reporting. That would hardly be a blip on Apple's earnings. I would think its more them shifting some production of chips to Taiwan Semi, and rumors of the new cheaper phones. Now, if China Mobile gets a cheaper phone......now THATS news that will be worth a pop on the stock.
post #43 of 70
iWatch will be designed... 1wink.gif
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Suggesting the mention of iWatch has raised the price of Apple stock, I think is pretty poor reporting. That would hardly be a blip on Apple's earnings. I would think its more them shifting some production of chips to Taiwan Semi, and rumors of the new cheaper phones. Now, if China Mobile gets a cheaper phone......now THATS news that will be worth a pop on the stock.

You're making the assumption that the markets have anything to do with reality.

post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

An even more interesting speculation is that he is going to head up a "wearable computing" effort that would extend well beyond watches into clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

The idea of wearable computing makes a lot of sense.

This is a new breed of fashion. Terre Inconnue.

Paul worked for Apple before and knows the fashion industry. Ideal Choice.

Time will tell.

This speculation seems to be a good fit. I was shocked (well, intrigued really), when Steve dropped 'Computer' from the name of our favourite company but of course he was looking years ahead, doubtless with crystal clear vision.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #46 of 70

The luxury aspect is, in part, what sells Apple as it is a luxury most people can afford. You might not be able to buy that new BMW or Audi, but that new iPhone or iPad, or iWatch will make you look just as stylish in the office or out on the town. 

Updated: thanks Suddenly Newton

Edited by Richard Getz - 7/2/13 at 8:36pm
post #47 of 70

Perhaps Deneve might also work on accessories, because we all know in fashion, its all about accessorizing. But I would think it would be the overall Apple brand as he was a CEO. 

post #48 of 70

Thank goodness, Apple finally hired someone to decided how big the lapels will be on MacBooks this season, and whether stripes or solids is the spring look.

post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple BIG Fan View Post

There is a difference between clothes 'fashion' and computing trends - what are Apple doing? Is this another retail error as in the hire of John Browett? This sounds bad for Apple.

FUD. Let him succeed or fail before declaring him the next John Browett.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #50 of 70

Apple seems to be in a unique position of providing the only true luxury computers on earth, but still needs to remain accessible to a majority of the population. As Apple saturates the upper tier of the market, many assume that releasing cheaper products with more volume is the only way to go. But, along with the middle-tier iPhone, Apple could also quite successfully expand their pro offerings, by offering things that come with significant advantages, but which are not as amenable to mass production (e.g. carbon fiber, sapphire glass screens, liquid metal). With rumors of a new MBA being based off of an A series processor, I think it's a possibility we'll see an MBA Pro in the not too distant future, thinner, lighter, carbon fiber, possibly with touch capabilities (along with the successor to Mavricks). Tim did mention somewhat randomly in a past PR statement that Apple's chip designers are "ambitious," makes me wonder..

However, Deneve's fashion connections may be just as important. It was pretty cool to hear about Cue being a Ferrari board member, then having them incorporate iOS into their cars. Tim also mentioned sensors in his latest visit to all things d (I don't know how he put up with that ridiculous interview, he's a saint to say the least). I think we could see Apple release clip-on iBeacons in the near future as well, along with iWatch, which would be a great security feature to incorporate into expensive high-end bags and clothing (or your kids haha). 

NB: I also want to gush again about how much I love the DED editorials, particularly in long form. My last two Saturdays have been spent drinking some delicious beers by the pool, and enjoying every bit of the sarcasm, digs, and perspective in those articles. It's a great time to be an Apple fan.. Thanks!

Edited by PatchyThePirate - 7/2/13 at 8:16pm

post #51 of 70
Good move, good news.
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

The luxury aspect is, in part, what sells Apple as it is a luxury most people can afford. You might not be able to buy that new MBW or Audi, but that new iPhone or iPad, or iWatch will make you look just as stylish in the office or out on the town. 

MBW...The machine driving ultimate.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 70
Maybe this will mean the end of the purported plastic iPhone.

I can't see someone of Deneve's caliber staying silent on the sidelines if Apple were seriously going to release a plastic iPhone.

This move by Apple solidifies their commitment to the high end and their commitment to quality.
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Perhaps Deneve might also work on accessories, because we all know in fashion, its all about accessorizing. But I would think it would be the overall Apple brand as he was a CEO. 
He's not a designer, that's not his background so I wouldn't expect him to be involved in product design. Since he's reporting to Cook my guess is it will be marketing/brand related, especially if Apple gets in to wearables.
post #55 of 70
Ha ha ha. I've always maintained that iWatch must be both a high fashion item and a tech gadget. It must be seen being conspicuously worn by supermodels when they hit the runways on fashion week. It should look at home in the high end accessories counters of the posh boutiques and department stores. They should be advertised in Vogue and other such mags, and appear in their fashion spreads as well. Why? Two reasons,at least:

1. Only the Apple brand has the cachet to be mentioned in the same breath as the leading fashion brands and thus be accepted by the fashionista set. So this time around, Google, Samsung, HTC, and the rest of the shameless gaggle of second movers won't be able to follow where Apple goes.

2. If iWatch and the other Apple products that follow are seen as high fashion items with several different designs and seasonal introduction of signature lines, then a lot of people will buy more than one to suit their varying fashion moods.
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I can't see someone of Deneve's caliber staying silent on the sidelines if Apple were seriously going to release a plastic iPhone.

This move by Apple solidifies their commitment to the high end and their commitment to quality.

Based on how fashion houses operate, instead of killing the lower end line, they would open a different but related and more affordable brand. E.g. Donna Karan --> DKNY.
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

I think it's very relevant. Low cost iPhone has been rumored for a while. Analysts have been wondering if Apple can innovate beyond what is already out. An iWatch is exactly that, a new product in a new a new a new a new market that has hardly been tapped. Considering the stock only went up once the trademarks came out, I would say that's exactly the reason it went up.
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

LOL.

Still lobbing stink bombs from your basement? No luck finding gainful employment to utilize that non-rubbish intellect of yours?

Just what do you think you accomplish with your periodic epithets, beyond drawing sympathy?  

The vacuity of your weirdly passive-aggressive posts on this forum is matched only by your sad attempts at a comeback. To suggest that Apple would do something like this 'for the sake of it' is pure rubbish. When challenged, you couldn't provide even one example of when Apple has done something like that in the past.
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I hope Apple is aiming for Rolex and Omega not Pebble, Samsung and Sony.

I have no concerns in that regard. Apple will create a premium product comparable to the very best in the world.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #60 of 70
It could be interesting to see the interaction between him and Jonny Ive.

I guess it will work out well as there's no way he could have been hired without Ive's involvement.
post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I guess it will work out well as there's no way he could have been hired without Ive's involvement.
That's assuming he was hired to do something design related. But that's not his background and when he last worked for Apple he did sales and marketing. I think he'll probably be assisting Cook in terms of strategy, marketing and branding.
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't know him, don't know he's job title at Apple. ’Cup of tea' time.

Special projects VP.  This has wearable devices R&D all over it.

post #63 of 70

I am crazy for this idea. Must be my French heritage.

post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Based on his previous positions, I doubt he was signing off on designs. He was steering the business. More likely he'll be used for his industry Rolodex.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #65 of 70
Wild surmise, but Deneve is an ex-CEO of a major consumer products and retail corporation -- could this be Tim Cook's replacement? The mystery of his position (understudy to Cook, like Cook was to Jobs) would be consistent with Cook having a health problem, or a decision has been made by somebody (possibly Cook) that Cook is not a good fit for the job.

I have to say that Cook still appears to me like an caretaker pick that hasn't grown into the visionary-leader role, a role that Apple's culture may still require. I have tons of respect for Tim, don't get me wrong, but he ain't that.

This possibility is less likely in my mind than Deneve becoming head of wearables, or of retail, but interesting none the less.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #66 of 70
Quote:

Wild surmise, but Deneve is an ex-CEO of a major consumer products and retail corporation -- could this be Tim Cook's replacement? The mystery of his position (understudy to Cook, like Cook was to Jobs) would be consistent with Cook having a health problem, or a decision has been made by somebody (possibly Cook) that Cook is not a good fit for the job.

I have to say that Cook still appears to me like an caretaker pick that hasn't grown into the visionary-leader role, a role that Apple's culture may still require. I have tons of respect for Tim, don't get me wrong, but he ain't that.

This possibility is less likely in my mind than Deneve becoming head of wearables, or of retail, but interesting none the less.

nonsense
post #67 of 70
I think Deneve will be advising Cook on dealing with France/EU retail business regulators with regard to Apple's
retail ambitions. France has, it seems, been on a tear to stick it to non-French operations and protect their own concerns. Given sime
well-published difficulties, Apple can use some additional guidance in that area, IMO.

That Deneve is reporting directly to Cook makes sense given that Cook has been personally running Apple Retail since Browett left. I don't think this has anything to do with wearables or luxury branding specifically. Perhaps an American analogue would be an in-house lobbyist/consultant.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #68 of 70
Quote:

Worse than nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I think Deneve will be advising Cook on dealing with France/EU retail business regulators with regard to Apple's
retail ambitions. France has, it seems, been on a tear to stick it to non-French operations and protect their own concerns. Given sime
well-published difficulties, Apple can use some additional guidance in that area, IMO.

That Deneve is reporting directly to Cook makes sense given that Cook has been personally running Apple Retail since Browett left. I don't think this has anything to do with wearables or luxury branding specifically. Perhaps an American analogue would be an in-house lobbyist/consultant.

This makes a lot of sense. Europe is a huge market, and France maybe a huge problem.
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This makes a lot of sense. Europe is a huge market, and France maybe a huge problem.
Nonsense.
A former CEO of a global corporation takes a position that doesn't even have a title, to help out with France, a minor market for Apple? Sales in France are probably smaller than in many US states.
There are a number of possibilities that are believable, but not this one. No, there is something big in his future.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

"Plastic" does sound cheap and toy-like, doesn't it? Eh, so just call the material CRP (carbon-fiber reinforced thermoplastic) and stand away from the doors as the herd thunders in to buy three each. 1biggrin.gif

Whatever it's made of, Apple does need a lower cost device for the developing markets though... as long as it doesn't degrade the brand in the developed markets. And I admit, that is going to be tricky. And apart from any specific projects Cook has in mind for him, it'll be interesting to see what haute couture ideas this fellow is going to come up with for various Apple devices or the retail ops..

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple hires Paul Deneve of French fashion house YSL [u]