or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 reaches shipments of 20 million - report

Samsung Galaxy S4 reaches shipments of 20 million - report - Page 2

post #41 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Did you read the report you linked to?

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_12.html

"Somewhat Large

132 % Standard Mode

122 % Movie Mode"

The color gamut is to wide on the GS4 (this makes images looks gaudy and ugly color wise). So far, OLED have consistently had horrible color and, worse, color that shifts quickly with age.

The reality is that the display on the S4 is miles ahead of what was used on the S3. You can not dispute this point. You are also correct that there is still a gap especially when it comes to solid white background where the S4 will look slightly grayish compared to an HTC One or and iPhone. But the reality is unlike a TV where people would really notice these things especially if they are watching a 2-hr blu-ray movie , on a phone you really are less likely to notice or care. The colors may not be "true" but they are bright and you just don't hear many people complaining about the colors or the display. In fact you hear the opposite and they say the display is so much nicer and brighter than their previous phones and they love the display. For color purists this might be an unimaginable horror but the reality is the general public do not notice or care about such things. There is still a gap but it has closed to the point that most people don't care and are very satisfied. If color were truly that important then people would be buying more monitors from companies like iiyama or Apple instead of Dell and Acer. Professionals that rely on color accuracy care and buy those monitors but the public is quite content with their  $275 Acer LED monitor. The S4 has a display that is not only "good enough" it is better than anything they have owned before. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #42 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayani1 View Post

Article such as this in an Apple blog smacks so much of insecurity. I sometimes read Android Authority and it's rare when they write something about Apple.

Every article Appleinsider publishes about Samsung strengthens my thinking that Apple is now a follower and Samsung the leader.

Many Apple enthusiasts like info on competitors. I can't help it if Fandroids like to bathe in their "openness" and iHate.

Oh and you left the sarcasm tag off your last sentence.
post #43 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You are ignorant about the colour saturation.  You can set the colour fidelity on the S4 to be as neutral as the iP5.

Tell me something new!

And, I have something new to tell you... natural saturation colors on Samsung sucks! go and check pls.

post #44 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Oh....and you can find the iPhone 5 for $99 depending on where you look....like BestBuy..http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/22/att-99-iphone-5-promotion/

The iPhone 5 is just now starting to be discounted.

When was the S4 released?

If Apple started allowing huge discounting of their flagship phone just a few months after release, people would be hammering them.

Samsung? Gets a pass.
post #45 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Tell me something new!

And, I have something new to tell you... natural saturation colors on Samsung sucks! go and check pls.

I have checked. My best friend has an S4 and I have an iPhone 5. I have spent a lot of time looking and using his phone just to check it out. I have done side by side comparisons. Both of of us play a game called Modern War and opened up that app side by side. It looked gorgeous on the S4 as it did on my iPhone 5. But because the display was just so much larger you can see nearly your whole base on the S4 but you have to scroll and zoom a lot on the iPhone to see your base. It just made the game play a far better experience on the S4. The colors really popped out at me and I could easily get used to that. It may not have been as realistic but so what? It looked great and I just don't think anyone outside of tech forums care about that. Display size trumps color accuracy for a lot of people. 

post #46 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I have checked. My best friend has an S4 and I have an iPhone 5. I have spent a lot of time looking and using his phone just to check it out. I have done side by side comparisons. Both of of us play a game called Modern War and opened up that app side by side. It looked gorgeous on the S4 as it did on my iPhone 5. But because the display was just so much larger you can see nearly your whole base on the S4 but you have to scroll and zoom a lot on the iPhone to see your base. It just made the game play a far better experience on the S4. The colors really popped out at me and I could easily get used to that. It may not have been as realistic but so what? It looked great and I just don't think anyone outside of tech forums care about that. Display size trumps color accuracy for a lot of people. 

I really did not read all your paragraph.

But the one in RED caught my attention. I am not wondered to know again that people fall for stupid things.

post #47 of 104

This is a bunch of bullshit again and typical Samsung deceiving tactics.

We are in fact not talking about the S4 as in a single, high-end device. We're talking about the whole bloody S4 line, which includes the S4 Mini and other popular budget knock offs. As long as they're reporting like this, you can't take it seriously, because it is obvious that a majority of those sales is made up of those cheap devices and not the high end models in direct competition with Apple.

It's like Apple would report sales only for "iPhone" and not for the iPhone 5 in particular.

Don't fall for this BS. ;-)

post #48 of 104
Quote:

But the one in RED caught my attention. I am not wondered to know again that people fall for stupid things.

You must do a lot of photo editing on your iPhone if color rendering accuracy is so important to you. Can't you afford an iMac or MacBook?

post #49 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

Also clearly Samsung (and others) have chosen to use shipped rather than sold for a particular reason, most likely because they feel it makes them look better against the competition.  Apple has decided to use sold for their own reasons as well. 

Your premise is incorrect.  (This has been gone over so many times, it should be a sticky.)

When Apple says "sold", they mean the same thing as Samsung does with "shipped".   That is, units sold directly to end users from a company store, plus all the units sold to retailers.

The only difference is that Apple counts a shipment as a sale when it leaves their warehouse, whereas Samsung counts a shipment as a sale when it arrives at the retailer.  The effect is the same.

Quote:
Personally, I question the motives of using shipped rather than sold -- until something is sold, there is no revenue.

Again, it means the same thing.  They both get the revenue when the unit is bought by the retailer.

Both report lost revenue from returns separately.  (Only Blackberry actually waits to report sales revenue until they're sure of a device not being returned.)   This info is from each company's official filings.

Quote:
Using shipped feels like they are propping up their numbers to make it look like they are doing better than they are.

There are multiple examples of Apple's sales numbers looking great one quarter, and dropping the next one, due to retailers still having overstock.

This buying cycle happens to every company.  It's why the only way to tell how well something is really selling, is to check sales/revenues over several quarters to see how they average out.

post #50 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

But, but, but aren't you tired of asking the same stupid question for the last couple of years? If Samsung is in fact not "selling" any phones, maybe, just maybe, Microsoft is also not selling any Windows, right? Maybe they also just "ship" Windows and everybody is in fact using Macs and everything is just a giant conspiracy against poor Apple, right?

lol, maybe I should have put a /s in front.

post #51 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

So people on the forum can argue about shipped versus sold numbers.  It makes people keep coming back to the site to argue their point.

I swear the biggest trolls on the AppleInsider forums are the editors at AppleInsider.

It's AppleInsider.  I go to Mac Rumors and Cult of Mac as well and they rarely discuss things outside of Apple.  When they do, it seems far more relevant.

Cult of Mac has Cult of Android and they post a lot of Cult of Android articles on Cult of Mac.  Mac Rumors is far more Mac Centric than any of them.

post #52 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

You must do a lot of photo editing on your iPhone if color rendering accuracy is so important to you. Can't you afford an iMac or MacBook?

I own all the ones that you mentioned. That is the reason why I hate Samsung.

post #53 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by krausebe View Post

If Samsung would sell the Galaxy S4 so proper, why they give you a Galaxy S4 for no money if you buy a LED TV, at least in Germany. Looks like they need to push shipments, regardless of the money they will loose. But don't blame Samsung they did and do what they can do best copy successful ideas and products. Or with the words of a chinese guy: We found it worth to be copied.

Huh? Incomprehensible....

post #54 of 104
Quote:

Could you tell us what is your tv size and why?

post #55 of 104
Quote:

I own all the ones that you mentioned. That is the reason why I hate Samsung.

Why should your choice of phone and computer hardware make you 'hate' Samsung? 1confused.gif 

You know that Samsung manufactures a lot of the components used in your devices, right? Doesn't that get confusing for you?

post #56 of 104
Quote:
My best friend has an S4.... the colors really popped out at me and I could easily get used to that. It may not have been as realistic but so what? It looked great and I just don't think anyone outside of tech forums care about that. 

I may be a nobody, according to your definition, but at least I'm a realistic nobody.

post #57 of 104
If you ship 'em they will come. Or maybe not. Samdung is a piece of crap company with no honor, all they know how to do is copy. They will lose in the end.
post #58 of 104

There's no accounting for taste. Especially with a device you can get for free with a cheap suit.

post #59 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

There's no accounting for taste. Especially with a device you can get for free with a cheap suit.

So? They give 'free' iPads away here with everything from gas & electric contracts, to fitted kitchens and leather sofas.

http://www.gratisipad.org/

post #60 of 104
Quote:

You are ignorant about the colour saturation.  You can set the colour fidelity on the S4 to be as neutral as the iP5.

And it is still ugly and the colors are not accurate. I don't know about the GS4 but the GS3 also shifted in time more than I would like.

post #61 of 104
Quote:

The reality is that the display on the S4 is miles ahead of what was used on the S3. You can not dispute this point. You are also correct that there is still a gap especially when it comes to solid white background where the S4 will look slightly grayish compared to an HTC One or and iPhone. But the reality is unlike a TV where people would really notice these things especially if they are watching a 2-hr blu-ray movie , on a phone you really are less likely to notice or care. The colors may not be "true" but they are bright and you just don't hear many people complaining about the colors or the display. In fact you hear the opposite and they say the display is so much nicer and brighter than their previous phones and they love the display. For color purists this might be an unimaginable horror but the reality is the general public do not notice or care about such things. There is still a gap but it has closed to the point that most people don't care and are very satisfied. If color were truly that important then people would be buying more monitors from companies like iiyama or Apple instead of Dell and Acer. Professionals that rely on color accuracy care and buy those monitors but the public is quite content with their  $275 Acer LED monitor. The S4 has a display that is not only "good enough" it is better than anything they have owned before. 

Actually, I hear it allot and most of my friends are unimpressed with the colors on OLEDs. But then again, many of the friends I have understand photography and print reproduction and love when they can go from output device to output device with predictable results. Even outside this group, however, I have heard many people I know comment on the highly un-realistic colors of the GS3 and I also know many people that comment on the "pretty" colors.

On TVs, I question if many people care at all given the artifacts so prevalent on many HD movies.

post #62 of 104

A girl in my daughters workplace got one of these and the shit she's been taking because of it's size has been ferocious.

It doesn't help that she can't operate the thing either.

post #63 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Cult of Mac has Cult of Android and they post a lot of Cult of Android articles on Cult of Mac.  Mac Rumors is far more Mac Centric than any of them.

Yeah, I go to Mac Rumors more than Cult of Mac, so I have probably just been on  good days.

I was aware of Cult of Android.  Seems like AppleInsider needs a Android version (looks like androidinsider.com is taken).

post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

C'mon. We all see this before. Big number when they want to hype something then the number for a full quarter didn't match those initial spectacular numbers. Or are you easily fooled by Samsung?

Quite so...then it's a hearty meal of schadenfreude to follow 1biggrin.gif
post #65 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I may be a nobody, according to your definition, but at least I'm a realistic nobody.

You are a somebody just like me. But like I said you are here on a tech forum so people like you and me don't really represent the general public very well. Most people that don't frequent sites like this have no idea what AMOLED, DPI, color gamut, or anything else means. All they know is the size of the display and that that it says 1080P since they recognize that term from their TV's. That is the point I am trying to make is that non-tech folk which is 99% of the buying public don't care and don't know any better. To them the S4 looks great and far better than the S3. 

post #66 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Your premise is incorrect.  (This has been gone over so many times, it should be a sticky.)

When Apple says "sold", they mean the same thing as Samsung does with "shipped".   That is, units sold directly to end users from a company store, plus all the units sold to retailers.

The only difference is that Apple counts a shipment as a sale when it leaves their warehouse, whereas Samsung counts a shipment as a sale when it arrives at the retailer.  The effect is the same.

Again, it means the same thing.  They both get the revenue when the unit is bought by the retailer.

Both report lost revenue from returns separately.  (Only Blackberry actually waits to report sales revenue until they're sure of a device not being returned.)   This info is from each company's official filings.

There are multiple examples of Apple's sales numbers looking great one quarter, and dropping the next one, due to retailers still having overstock.

This buying cycle happens to every company.  It's why the only way to tell how well something is really selling, is to check sales/revenues over several quarters to see how they average out.

Apple also indicates what's in inventory. Somehow peeps can calculate sold by subtracting inventory from shipped.
post #67 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

So because Appleinsider decides to post an article about Samsung that somehow effects your perception of Apple? That seems quite odd considering Apple has nothing to do with Appleinsider

If I wanted to read about Samsung's deeds (good or bad), I'd read a general news site like Engadget, not one supposedly dedicated to Apple products and news.

post #68 of 104

I don't get this blog's infatuation with Android and Samsung. Other than intentionally troll-baiting readers and getting clicks that is. Android blogs that I follow such as Droid-Life very rarely bring up Apple in their news stories and when they do it's often just a shy poking fun, or even paying a compliment. Maybe it's time to fill your pages with App store releases and game reviews or something. Please just talk more about iPhone 'stuff', you don't even have to be picky. Just stop shooting spitballs and riling up the iBots. 

post #69 of 104
The anal-ists already know that the Samdung 4S isn't selling as well as they expected. Fortunately they are hammering Samdung's stock now for a change.
And shipping doesn't mean selling. Especially when Samdung often times gives phones away with every one you purchase. Apple never has done that to make there actual sales numbers, not shipments go up.
post #70 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

The anal-ists already know that the Samdung 4S isn't selling as well as they expected. Fortunately they are hammering Samdung's stock now for a change.
And shipping doesn't mean selling. Especially when Samdung often times gives phones away with every one you purchase. Apple never has done that to make there actual sales numbers, not shipments go up.

I rest my case. Keep working to improve the AI community with articles that attract these people.

post #71 of 104
Samsung hard at work... Spreading missinformation.....
Low life bribers!
post #72 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post

I don't get this blog's infatuation with Android and Samsung. Other than intentionally troll-baiting readers and getting clicks that is. Android blogs that I follow such as Droid-Life very rarely bring up Apple in their news stories and when they do it's often just a shy poking fun, or even paying a compliment. Maybe it's time to fill your pages with App store releases and game reviews or something. Please just talk more about iPhone 'stuff', you don't even have to be picky. Just stop shooting spitballs and riling up the iBots. 
If u believe Samsung and its followers, in general, are an innocent class act group of people U have been living under a rock.
This company has is nothing more than a bribing , manipulating, lowlife entity who has zero reservation to stab friends in the back and pull any immoral trick in the bag to mislead the market and sell one more phone or etc.
I have Zero respect for this company and the lying low life bribed bashers they buy to blog on their behalf!
And no .. Few years back i did not perceive them as i described above.
Their lowlife ways of going about business is what brought this to them.
And more and more people are realizing this now !
post #73 of 104
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

You are a somebody just like me. But like I said you are here on a tech forum so people like you and me don't really represent the general public very well. Most people that don't frequent sites like this have no idea what AMOLED, DPI, color gamut, or anything else means. All they know is the size of the display and that that it says 1080P since they recognize that term from their TV's. That is the point I am trying to make is that non-tech folk which is 99% of the buying public don't care and don't know any better. To them the S4 looks great and far better than the S3. 

Hmm. Calling AI a tech forum is stretching it a bit. Sadly there's less and less interesting material on Apple tech and for quite a while just a lot of hate tirades.

post #74 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The iPhone 5 is just now starting to be discounted.

When was the S4 released?

If Apple started allowing huge discounting of their flagship phone just a few months after release, people would be hammering them.

Samsung? Gets a pass.

no....you are correct...in that the S4 is being reduced beore th IP5. No disputing that point......but you can get it at reduced prices......But they only release the iPhone once a year. Samsung releases products much much sooner than that. thye can afford to reduce this model beacsue they have something else coming soon...that is good and bad......

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #75 of 104
Quote:

But, but, but aren't you tired of asking the same stupid question for the last couple of years? If Samsung is in fact not "selling" any phones, maybe, just maybe, Microsoft is also not selling any Windows, right? Maybe they also just "ship" Windows and everybody is in fact using Macs and everything is just a giant conspiracy against poor Apple, right?
the difference is when Samsung was forced to supply real sales figures in court it was nowhere near the shipped numbers floated.
post #76 of 104
Quote:

You could always try to bury your head in the sand. It works! If you don't find out about "something", that "something" will just magically vanish! 1biggrin.gif
The key is we lead busy lives and prefer to selectively give our time to things we care about. We don't care about Samsung so we don't visit their fan sites. We do care about Apple and until recently I have enjoyed visiting Apple's fan sites and rarely felt I was being intruded on by promoters from another platform.
post #77 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I can ship 20 million units of rubber dogshit. TODAY.

You are bluffing. You cannot ship 20 million rubber dogshits today.
Quote:
Impressed?

1smoking.gif

No.
post #78 of 104
Quote:

I don't think its a lot of people. The ugly screen colors distorts what you see so pictures you are taking don't look right. I can tell a Samsung photo on facebook a mile away. They look terrible. That is why with all the market share of Android, the iPhone is still far ahead in instagram post. People won't admit they hate it because they will feel stupid for buying it, but since they can claim to be in the in crowd they keep it.
post #79 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by krausebe View Post

If Samsung would sell the Galaxy S4 so proper, why they give you a Galaxy S4 for no money if you buy a LED TV, at least in Germany. Looks like they need to push shipments, regardless of the money they will loose. But don't blame Samsung they did and do what they can do best copy successful ideas and products. Or with the words of a chinese guy: We found it worth to be copied.

As long as they can produce more than they can sell (regardless of how many they ARE selling), there is no harm in bundling. More phones in wild have potential to attract more new customers. Might be S4 sales are lagging in Germany/Europe compared to other premium markets, for example; I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that Sony is more competitive with Samsung in Europe than in US.
post #80 of 104
Quote:

That 'unbiased' reviewer is as clueless as anyone else who doesn't change the colour profile before making the comparison.  Anandtech, for instance, knows to do this.

Imagine if TV set reviewers only reviewed a TV set with it still set to vivid mode, as used to grab attention in stores.  They would be held in contempt as reviewers by discerning buyers.
So, comparing a phone the way it with be used be the public since that is how samsung ships them and intends for them to be used is clueless. Clueless would be to assume that anyone but a tech head would be changing the profile. Most non techs can barely figure those phones out which accounts for the low internet usage. The next co-worker who asks me to help them figure out something on and Android phone the got talked into will get an ear full.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 reaches shipments of 20 million - report