or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung buys Apple TV competitor Boxee for $30 million
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung buys Apple TV competitor Boxee for $30 million - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Those are pictures of rokus and not boxee.

This idiocy makes me amused. Same old, same old. For you to castigate rain for lying in the same post you mislead with these unrelated images is classic.



Because this pic would've gone against the point he was trying to make.
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Those are pictures of rokus and not boxee.

Yes.

...

Did you notice that Samsung bought Boxee? Sort of the point of the thread?

...

Did'ja also notice anything else about Samsung recently?
Quote:
For you to castigate rain for lying in the same post you mislead with these unrelated images is classic.

How in the name of frick could you possibly think the images were unrelated? Unless, of course, you didn't even bother to read the post associated therewith. 1rolleyes.gif Because if you'd actually read it, you wouldn't be saying any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Because this pic would've gone against the point he was trying to make.

Except that wasn't the point I was making. How about reading the post, too?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except that wasn't the point I was making. How about reading the post, too?

Your point would've made sense if you had knowledge that Samsung was planning on changing the rather unique design.
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Your point would've made sense if you had knowledge that Samsung was planning on changing the rather unique design.

Guess you've never heard of a supposition, a statement extrapolated from past events, or even a fricking joke, huh? 1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guess you've never heard of a supposition, a statement extrapolated from past events, or even a fricking joke, huh? 1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif

That sounded more like a suppository.
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

That sounded more like a suppository.

Wit's not your strong suit, huh.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you notice that Samsung bought Boxee? Sort of the point of the thread?

 

Did you notice that Boxee didn't make any of the boxes you showed*?  

 

Did you notice that none of those companies had to purchase Boxee to make aTV like black squares?

 

Samsung is far more likely to use Boxee acquired stuff in their TVs, DVD/BR players, etc than to make a Roku like box.  What for when they can build it in every TV they make?  So folks can buy a $99 Samsung streamer for their Sony, LG or Vizio TV?  Woot!  What a brilliant plan!

 

 

Quote:
Did'ja also notice anything else about Samsung recently?
How in the name of frick could you possibly think the images were unrelated? Unless, of course, you didn't even bother to read the post associated therewith. 1rolleyes.gif Because if you'd actually read it, you wouldn't be saying any of this.

 

They are unrelated because they have zero to do with either Samsung or Boxee*.

 

Instead they purchased a company that did NOT copy aTV's form factor which makes your point even more stupid.  Especially given that Roku has always been a square black box (2008) even when the aTV was a square white box.  In Sept 2010 the Rokus looked like this:

 

 

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/multimedia-voip/multimedia-voip-reviews/31284-roku-xds-reviewed

 

Since it was launched more or less the same time as the 2nd gen aTV (also Sept 2010) there was no copying happening because at the time of development the aTV was a white box and Apple's design language was dominated by white/alu.

 

Given that Roku has since deliberately changed their shape to this:

 

 

to differentiate from the aTV that makes your outrage even dumber-er.  Roku at least doesn't want to be mistaken as an aTV.

 

* Even though D-Link makes both the MovieNite and the Boxee Box the MovieNite doesn't run Boxee.

post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

What for when they can build it in every TV they make?  So folks can buy a $99 Samsung streamer for their Sony, LG or Vizio TV?  Woot!  What a brilliant plan!

Yeah, getting people into your ecosystem so you can get money from them while they learn about your company's products. HOW UNIMAGINABLY STUPID. 1confused.gif1eek.gif1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif
Quote:
Since it was launched more or less the same time as the 2nd gen aTV (also Sept 2010) there was no copying happening

Which you magically know. 1rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Given that Roku has since deliberately changed their shape to this to differentiate from the aTV that makes your outrage even dumber-er.

No, it just proves my point. Thanks!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
Yeah, getting people into your ecosystem so you can get money from them while they learn about your company's products. HOW UNIMAGINABLY STUPID. 1confused.gif1eek.gif1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif
 

 

 

What ecosystem? There's no ecosystem like Apple or even Roku.  Netflix, Vudu, et al is not an ecosystem.  They bought boxee to improve their integrated UIs and their video search capabilities within their devices to make them more competitive.

 

From a device ecosystem perspective they want lock people in on their Samsung TVs and their own phones.  Markets they they dominate.  Samsung has 27% of the HDTV market and owns the Android market.  They want to lock out LG and Sony NOT enable them.

 

Quote:
 
Which you magically know. 1rolleyes.gif

 

 

We all know because they've always been a black square box and because there's insufficient time to "copy" when the launch dates are no more than 1 month apart.  

 

 

Quote:
No, it just proves my point. Thanks!

 

What it proves is that you haven't changed and unable to refrain from twisting other people's comments.  In what possible way does it support your dumb assed assertion?

 

It doesn't.  Roku wasn't copying Apple but refining it's own devices.  You might argue that the Gen 2s were a closer in appearance but they were simply smaller versions of what they already were making as is clearly shown above.

post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post

We all know because they've always been a black square box and because there's insufficient time to "copy" when the launch dates are no more than 1 month apart.  

Tell that to Sony.
Quote:
It doesn't.  Roku wasn't copying Apple but refining it's own devices.  You might argue that the Gen 2s were a closer in appearance but they were simply smaller versions of what they already were making as is clearly shown above.

Apple makes Apple TV. Roku makes box that looks like Apple TV with a mattress tag on it. Roku changes box to not be like Apple TV.

No, it wasn't a "smaller version of the box above". 1oyvey.gif You sure you don't work in Samsung's design department? Or need glasses?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tell that to Sony.

Tell Sony what? To evolve one black device into another black device? Are you implying that they copied MS who's original design was a curvy white box?

And after double checking it turns out that the roku xds pictured above shipped first before the aTV. When the aTV was announced the Roku was already being tested by the FCC and in launch production. You think they suddenly retooled to make a new case in between Apple's announcement and their own launch which happened before the 2nd gen aTV shipped?
Quote:
Apple makes Apple TV.

A white/alu product.
Quote:
Roku makes box that looks like Apple TV with a mattress tag on it.

Before Apple does.
Quote:
Roku changes box to not be like Apple TV.

Because Apple is the 500lb design gorilla and asshats will assume you copied even though you were first.
Quote:
No, it wasn't a "smaller version of the box above". 1oyvey.gif You sure you don't work in Samsung's design department? Or need glasses?

Rokus are a successive series of ever smaller black boxes so the Roku 2 sure as hell is a smaller version of the box above. Yes, the Roku 2 looks like an aTV but I suspect there was a bit of "we were here first so bugger off" when they did that. It's a little black box with rounded corners just like the XDS only smaller.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Tell Sony what? To evolve one black device into another black device?

Bah, sorry. Meant to get rid of everything before "there's".
Quote:
And after double checking it turns out that the roku ads pictured above shipped first before the aTV.

A product that launched in 2010 came out before one from 2007? Huh.
Quote:
Before Apple does.

*sigh* Why can't people just check launch dates? Neither of yours were accurate. Their big box came out years after Apple's. Their tiny box came out months after Apple's. You can't possibly think the tiny Roku wasn't stolen directly from the Apple TV.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


A product that launched in 2010 came out before one from 2007? Huh.

No, a product that came out in early Sept 2010 came out before a product that despite being announced earlier came out in late sept 2010.
Quote:
*sigh* Why can't people just check launch dates? Neither of yours were accurate. Their big box came out years after Apple's. Their tiny box came out months after Apple's. You can't possibly think the tiny Roku wasn't stolen directly from the Apple TV.

I did, that's why I know the actual launch (vs announcement) sequence. The 2nd gen 2010 aTV can also be argued to have borrowed heavily from the 2008 Roku: $99 price point, black vs white box, streaming only, no HDD flash only, Netflix support, low power embedded processor (MIPS) augmented with decode silicon vs X86 cpu, etc.

Given that they guy who started Roku was an early inventor of the DVR (concurrently with others) it is unlikely that either the original Roku or the 2011 Roku 2 was an aTV ripoff. The 2nd gen aTV changed to be a lot more like the 1st gen Roku than then 2nd gen Roku changed to be like the aTV2. While they do look the same, as I said, my take is there was a "screw you guys, we were here first" element to that design choice.
post #54 of 58
Wow a such a heated conversation. If it helps I had a Linux set box as far back as 2001. Played movies and music, had internet, wasn't very fancy but I was able to connect to my server for streaming. I bought the first generation Roku in 2008, I known that much. I still have it and the box with receipt.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #55 of 58

An inventor of the DVR?  You mean the easy derivative of the VCR?  There was no invention there.  It was a no brainer.   And don't say that a DVR was not self evident for digital streams after the VCR was there for years for analog streams.  Geez.  Love the argument for arguments sake.

post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambira View Post

There was no invention there.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambira View Post

An inventor of the DVR?  You mean the easy derivative of the VCR?  There was no invention there.  It was a no brainer.   And don't say that a DVR was not self evident for digital streams after the VCR was there for years for analog streams.  Geez.  Love the argument for arguments sake.

If it were a no brainer wtf have you done that's more impressive? He started Replay and Roku. WTF have you started?
post #58 of 58
"This will help us continue to improve the overall user experience across our connected devices"


Scansuck connects stuff together - really? what and where?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung buys Apple TV competitor Boxee for $30 million