Originally Posted by drblank
Your line of reasoning is about the dumbest I've seen in a long time. here's why.
1. 99% of the population that uses a smartphone is NOT a programmer.
Okay, what's your point?
2. Most of the people out there don't WANT to become programmers.
Again, what's your point, I never said anything to warrant this response.
3. You waste a LOT of time doing what you are doing just to USE your smartphone? Doesn't sound to smart to me. That seems rather stupid and a lot of wasted hours you could be doing something else. Does Google pay you to root your system? Not unless you work for Google.
Your assuming and being an antagonist, there is no time wasted, installing a custom ROM takes minutes and most of them have auto-updater's that rival what was originally shipped with the unit.
4. You will never be satisfied with just using a product the way the MFG designed the product. Smartphones, inherently aren't designed to do what you are doing. What you are doing is an after thought to make updates available without waiting for the MFG to update their model product because of the flaws of the Android platform. Even Microsoft isn't stupid to release their "Open" OS in the same manner.
No, I wont, because I have certain expectations, if the platform allows me to change it, even goes so far as providing me with the tools to do it then by all means I will. It's inherently ignorant just to except something because that's the way it was shipped. If I have the know how, then by all means I will use it. Microsoft like Apple want to control every aspect of the users experience, that's fine for those who are seeking such things but it's not stupid to release a platform that caters to people like me.
5. So, doing what you're doing doesn't have to wait for Google to release a patch to fix a security flaw?
The source code is freely available, the community can plug holes much faster then a bureaucracy.
6. Apple has more third party apps than Android, so there are a LOT of apps that you CAN'T run on your Android. If you switch to Ubuntu Touch or Titzen, there will be even LESS apps to run.
So be it, Apple didn't start out with all those apps, it took people like me time to write them. Same goes for Ubuntu Touch, however in their case they already have a huge development community to start out with. Titzen is MeegOS, when Nokia discontinued their N9 it left a large whole to fill. Now there is also a company called Yola that is also producing a MeegOS phone so it will be interesting to see what comes out of it. I am also interested in new and different things, yes the iPhone is a nice phone but everyone also has one, I like being different and the phone doesn't offer me anything that I absolutly need. I don't need all of those apps especially games on my phone, I use Evernote, Browser with Flash, Skydrive, FIle-Manager YouTube, GrooveShark, Google Maps, Skype, Mail with POP3 and that's pretty much it. All of which are on my business phone, Blackberry Z10. My personal phone is a Nokia 808 which I have because of the incredible camera and soon a YolaOS phone to develop on and mostly use as a toy.
7. You say you are a programmer? What platform(s) do you write code for to earn a living? And what kind of living do you make?
Yes, C++. C#, Java, Python, Perl, CORBA, Dalvik and I started out with FORTAN and Basic, I've worked for UBS over 18 years, I am the Director of Internal Trading Applications. Asking what kind of living someone makes is quite rude but I will tell you I was offered a job at Deutsche Bank at a starting salary of 180k Euros a year and I turned it down.
8. Saying you are a programmer and you "know what you are doing" should not be said in the same sentence. For a programmer to say that Android is Unix indicates that you DON'T know what you are talking about. Even I knew Android is not Unix and I'm not a programmer.
Your putting words in my mouth here, I never said anything in regards to UNIX being use in Android, any idiot knows it's Linux. I think you confused me with another poster.
Bottom Line. It seems as though you shouldn't be on AppleInsider since you tend to put out a lot of misleading, misguided information that serves no one other than your arrogant, narcissistic ego.
That's you opinion, as I use Android, Windows, Linux and OSX on a daily basis, my interests run broader then most. You have encountered me in two threads, one was for Windows 8 which I use and this one for Andoid, which I also use however I'm also a big fan of Apple products and I own a few. Just because I don't share your views of hating everything except Apple doesn't make me anymore less of a Apple fan. I would have never shared my views on these other systems if Appleinsider didn't post so many stories about what other companies are doing. I think it's ridiculous and quite childish to complain so much about the competition the way you do especially when you don't use it. Million's of people use Windows and Android everyday and are quite content. Yes, yes iOS is the best, blah, blah, at the end of the day it comes down what the individual can accomplish on their devices and if their happy and me, I'm quite happy.
By your thinking, the only people that should use Android are programmers that want to write code for Android and are willing to waste a LOT of time with these XDA ROMS just to keep up to date on what is really one of the most pathetic excuses for an Operating System platform ever to be released.
I was only stating that "I" prefer using custom ROMS and that I recommend people do the the same as they get updated more and have less problems, my opinion. Your hatred for Android is your business.
Enjoy your bag of hurt and Good Luck with ALL THAT!
I will thanks!