or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u]

Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u] - Page 3

post #81 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Slightly off topic does how does Google even make any money off Android?  It can't be a significant portion of their revenue.

Mostly ads, but they also get a cut of Play store sales as well as having Google Books, Google Music, Google Movies & TV, and Google Magazines.

Oh yeah, and don't forget Google Glass!  lol.gif  (I hate Google Glass and hope it flops)

post #82 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkop View Post

I'm shocked at the amount of misinformation going around here. I know this is an Apple blog, but please - do some Android research.

1. This does not affect any app in Google Play. Google has already blocked every application that uses this loophole, including updates, per the article.

2. This only applies to side-loaded applications. Which have always been a security risk. Google warns you to the effect when you enable them; which is why I download Avast! if I sideload any applications.

3. Updates are perfectly safe, if you use good developers. And I seriously doubt that any reputable company can simply get "infected" with malware without someone noticing almost instantly. Even IF you don't use major developers all the time, Google catches these things pretty fast - check around the blogosphere historically and you'll see what I mean.

4. Sideloading apps IS important for some, like me. I.e. a game, Plants vs Zombie (botnets), doesn't work on my Nexus 10. But it works on my Galaxy Nexus. So I found the APK online, scanned it, and installed it manually - now it works like a charm!

5. @GTR, nice joke - xD but Samsung has 'sold' 20 million Galaxy S4s, apparently. Which is quite a lot, even by Apple's standards.

6. Finally, none of this really matters anyway, because even if Google HADN'T blocked these applications, it would have to be by an app developer deliberately trying to infect you. All the standard apps - Falcon Pro, Gmail, Instagram, Facebook, Google+, and yes - Plants Vs Zombies - are safe.

So, this is Google's official response?  I thought they didn't have a response yet.

Side loaded applications?   What's that?  

From what it sounds like based on your method of explaining things, the Android platform is meant for geeks willing to put more effort into dealing with their platform.  Enjoy wasting so much of your precious time using a freaking smartphone.  Do you know how much extra time I have to worry about iOS?  Almost none. You?  Every time you turn around, there is another security problem after another.

As Jerry Seinfeld would say......   "   Yikes,  Good Luck with ALL that".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5j4DIellR4

post #83 of 245
@AaronJ Okay, I apologize for that. I'm tired, wanting to go to sleep, haha; and I wasn't being facetious when I said nice joke, that was actually quite clever 1tongue.gif.

Regardless, you must admit 20 million shipments is impressive. The iPhone 5 had 27 million in Q4 2012. http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5_and_4s_tops_global_smartphone_shipments_for_q4_2012_-news-5575.php

All I'm trying to say is that you cannot simply discount Android as a garbage, malware-ridden platform because it simply isn't. I know from the personal experience of myself and many, many others whether they are tech-savvy or not. It wasn't great pre-ICS, I'll admit, but it's gotten MUCH better lately.

The ecosystem is mature, the apps are great, and overall everything melds together perfectly.

I will definitely debate the fact that Android users don't use their phones, though. I simply don't understand those statistics. Browser use makes sense, since intents let you share any information directly from one app to another without a browser. You can upload any picture to any cloud storage application without using the browser, for example. You can also imitate using a desktop browser with the stock Android browser or any third-party browser, which will not show up in those statistics as "Android". It's a simple option shown in the base level overflow menu for Chrome, and shows up frequently in those third-party browsers. Dolphin, for instance, is one of the most popular and has been downloaded millions of times.

Sorry if I offended you previously!
post #84 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So, this is Google's official response?  I thought they didn't have a response yet.

From what it sounds like based on your method of explaining things, the Android platform is meant for geeks willing to put more effort into dealing with their platform.  Enjoy wasting so much of your precious time using a freaking smartphone.  Do you know how much extra time I have to worry about iOS?  Almost none. You?  Every time you turn around, there is another security problem after another.

This isn't response worthy. This is not some zero day exploit where everyone is in danger of being infected. He's explaining to you the facts, something that people can't seem to grasp. 

Side loading applications means to install an application outside a dedicated app store like Google Play, Amazon Marketplace. The fact you're asking this makes me wonder why you're in this thread to begin with. Other than to gloat about a phone you do own while clearly demonstrating you know little about the competitor's services. Because you're clearly not reading anything we're saying.

Your last paragraph is just absurd. Your gums are clearly flapping here but there's nothing comprehensible being emitted from it. Take the time to listen to people who are explaining things they are knowledgeable about. Most of the people explaining android functions in here aren't even talking down or being rude, and the bristling reaction by some of you is comical. 

post #85 of 245
Quote:

Edit: @Koop Thank you very much for your defence. I'm just trying to explain the Android point of view as best I can without being biased. Still, I don't want to step on toes. Don't twist my words. I'm explaining things in tech-terms because that's the shortest way to do so. Android is very simple if you let it be. I just LIKE to tweak things, even though I don't root or ROM my devices (I don't see the need, with Nexus). If you like, you don't even need to touch your home screens. Apps add themselves as you install them, just like iOS. Reordering icons, widgets (please don't comment saying widgets are complicated. They're not. Just drag-and-drop.), etc. are all auto-moving, things move to allow new icons as you drag, all that good stuff. I won't go into more detail since it's late. :p
Edited by Walkop - 7/3/13 at 9:34pm
post #86 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Slightly off topic does how does Google even make any money off Android?  It can't be a significant portion of their revenue.

As it's been said, Google makes money indirectly from Android. There are many ways they grow the company via mobile. Mobile advertisements are one reason. They make some money from Apps and Media services. But ultimately they want to further tie you into their ecosystem which involves web browser services as well as mobile. 

They really ticked off Apple though, which has had blowback. I personally hold the belief that both companies are making each other's product's better. I'm curious where the iPhone would be today without Android's competition. 

post #87 of 245

iOS users, let's have a schadenfreude dance party!!!!

post #88 of 245
Quote:

Don't twist my words.I'm explaining things in tech-terms because that's the shortest way to do so. Android is very simple if you let it be. I just LIKE to tweak things, even though I don't root or ROM my devices (I don't see the need, with Nexus). If you like, you don't even need to touch your home screens. Apps add themselves as you install them, just like iOS. Reordering icons, widgets (please don't comment saying widgets are complicated. They're not. Just drag-and-drop.), etc. are all auto-moving, things move to allow new icons as you drag, all that good stuff. I won't go into more detail since it's late. :p

I'll never understand the need for widgets. They're so boring and it really isn't that hard to dig into an app you need like weather to get better information quickly. Back when I had an android phone I always trashed them ASAP. Not my thing, Which is why I didn't complain when Apple skipped them for iOS7. 

post #89 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post

I'll never understand the need for widgets. They're so boring and it really isn't that hard to dig into an app you need like weather to get better information quickly. Back when I had an android phone I always trashed them ASAP. Not my thing, Which is why I didn't complain when Apple skipped them for iOS7. 

I don't use them extensively either —but its nice to have the option. I like to have my email on there, and perhaps a flashlight link on my phone. That way i can turn it on without opening the app. Google Now is nice to have as well. I DO really like the idea of having a flashlight in the Quick Settings, like the iOS 7 Control Centre. Edit: GAH, the text editor breaks line spacing on my Nexus 10. Sorry about that. IT'S A TRAP AGAINST ANDROID DEVICES!!! /s Anyway, as for competition; yeah, that's a very interesting topic. Without iOS, where would Android be? Without Android, where would iOS be? They feed off each others' success, which is EXACTLY the way it should be and is fantastic.
Edited by Walkop - 7/3/13 at 9:45pm
post #90 of 245
Quote:

I don't get widgets either.  I'm sure some people love them, but they don't make sense to me.

post #91 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by avium View Post

Is Google Play the only app store for Android?

No, it's just one of the most commonly used.  It's that and Amazon mostly.  There are other smaller sites, but those are the two main big ones.

post #92 of 245
Quote:

No, it's just one of the most commonly used.  It's that and Amazon mostly.  There are other smaller sites, but those are the two main big ones.

Is there a significant difference between GP and Amazon?  Or is it mostly overlap?

post #93 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Is there a significant difference between GP and Amazon?  Or is it mostly overlap?

Amazon has an app they make free for a day every day! :D Except that's only in the states... not Canada. BAH! D:
post #94 of 245
Quote:

Amazon has an app they make free for a day every day! :D Except that's only in the states... not Canada. BAH! D:

Well, it's difficult to argue with free. :)

post #95 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Well, it's difficult to argue with free. :)

Exactly, haha! :D I would already have had it a long time ago, but alas I'm in poor under-appreciated Canada. *sigh*. They even made some popular games free! Angry Birds, ad-free edition, Plants Vs Zombies (I keep bringing that up, don't I?), and many others.

Now I'm depressed again.

post #96 of 245
Google made software that's insecure. Device makers put that software on their devices. Telcos rolled out the devices with out easy updates. The media won't know whom to blame
post #97 of 245
Quote:

Exactly, haha! :D I would already have had it a long time ago, but alas I'm in poor under-appreciated Canada. *sigh*. They even made some popular games free! Angry Birds, ad-free edition, Plants Vs Zombies (I keep bringing that up, don't I?), and many others.

Now I'm depressed again.

Eh, don't worry.  That 10-month long winter will be here soon enough!

:)

(PS: I live within sight of Canada, and have spent a lot of time there.)

post #98 of 245

By modern, of course you mean all...

post #99 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Google made software that's insecure. Device makers put that software on their devices. Telcos rolled out the devices with out easy updates. The media won't know whom to blame

They made an app SCANNER that had one insecurity, which has already been patched in Google Play. Which is totally modular and system independent —a lot of people don't get that part. There are basically no "system" apps; Google has been steadily removing them the past few months. The gallery, keyboard, gmail app, and even the Play Store itself update independently of the OS (at least, the gallery will very likely be modular around the same time as the Android 4.3 release). Anyway, just check app permissions before you update if you're really worried. :p As for the weather comment: Eh! I see what you did there...! :) But yes, the weather here has been really whacky as of late. Sloppy AND cold winters, but hot, late summers. I dunno if it's global warming or what.
Edited by Walkop - 7/3/13 at 10:20pm
post #100 of 245
Quote:

I don't use them extensively either —but its nice to have the option. I like to have my email on there, and perhaps a flashlight link on my phone. That way i can turn it on without opening the app. Google Now is nice to have as well.I DO really like the idea of having a flashlight in the Quick Settings, like the iOS 7 Control Centre. Edit: GAH, the text editor breaks line spacing on my Nexus 10. Sorry about that. IT'S A TRAP AGAINST ANDROID DEVICES!!! /sAnyway, as for competition; yeah, that's a very interesting topic. Without iOS, where would Android be? Without Android, where would iOS be? They feed off each others' success, which is EXACTLY the way it should be and is fantastic.

A widget is an app, just one that is running all of the time and requiring resources.   Apple just built in the flashlight into the OS because it's a simple piece of code that doesn't require an app or widget.

post #101 of 245
Quote:

A widget is an app, just one that is running all of the time and requiring resources.   Apple just built in the flashlight into the OS because it's a simple piece of code that doesn't require an app or widget.

Actually, most of these widgets consume so little resources that they might as well not even be there. Ones like the flashlight use 4-5MB of RAM at the most? You can monitor that if you want to by drilling down in the settings. Nonetheless, I like Apple's approach more!
post #102 of 245

This news isn't going to slow the adoption of Android.  A malware plagued environment that was Windows XP below did not stop people from buying Windows over and over again.  They simply got used to the fact their systems were insecure.  The anti-malware companies will be on Android to reap the profits then they'll post a version for iOS to make it seem like iOS has the same problems when it doesn't.

post #103 of 245
Quote:

They made an app SCANNER that had one insecurity, which has already been patched in Google Play. Which is totally modular and system independent —a lot of people don't get that part. There are basically no "system" apps; Google has been steadily removing them the past few months. The gallery, keyboard, gmail app, and even the Play Store itself update independently of the OS (at least, the gallery will very likely be modular around the same time as the Android 4.3 release). 

Are the apps modular in android 2.3 and older? If not, does google have the ability to make them so? Could it push out Google Play versions of system software that replace the older versions tied to the OS?

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 7/3/13 at 10:46pm
post #104 of 245
I wonder if this will garner anywhere near the same attention by the mainstream press received by any number of the myriad lesser security claims made against iOS.

Good luck with patching a security hole this big when only 1/3 of users are on your latest OS release.
post #105 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I wonder if this will garner anywhere near the same attention by the mainstream press received by any number of the myriad lesser security claims made against iOS.

Good luck with patching a security hole this big when only 1/3 of users are on your latest OS release.

No, it will garner about 1% the press.

If you're a website, you want clicks (clicks = ad views, obviously).  No one really cares to click on an Android story in the mainstream.  Apple gets clicks like cray-cray.  So, this won't get coverage.

This is simple logic.

PS: That being said, of course this will be reported on sites like this, and Ars, and Slashdot, etc.  But what?  About 0.00001% of the population reads those sites?

post #106 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Does this woman represent the large number of Android users? Cause all I see are two big 0's.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #107 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

I really can't understand how anyone can pirate apps that cost about a cup of coffee or a lunch at most.

Well just read some of the comments on the App Store - iOS users frequently seems to rip into about any app that isn't free no matter what it is. And then they buy 2400 virtual doughnuts in the Simpsons' Game for £70!!!  1mad.gif

Mind you, I can't understand it either, I'm just saying that it happens. It's even curiouser when you think that they actually have to hand over their money to get the device in the first place.

post #108 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

iOS users, let's have a schadenfreude dance party!!!!

Quid pro quo. Android users throw the best schadenfreude dance parties. Will you show us how to do it right?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #109 of 245
Quote:

Amazon has an app they make free for a day every day! 1biggrin.gif Except that's only in the states... not Canada. BAH! D:

You can always apply for citizenship for that free Amazon Android cookie. Mmm...cookie.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #110 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Well just read some of the comments on the App Store - iOS users frequently seems to rip into about any app that isn't free no matter what it is. And then they buy 2400 virtual doughnuts in the Simpsons' Game for £70!!!  1mad.gif

Mind you, I can't understand it either, I'm just saying that it happens. It's even curiouser when you think that they actually have to hand over their money to get the device in the first place.

It's called an App Store ecosystem that has paid independent software vendors $10 billion and counting. Not that Android users would know about or appreciate sustainable app economies.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #111 of 245
Quote:

As it's been said, Google makes money indirectly from Android. There are many ways they grow the company via mobile. Mobile advertisements are one reason. They make some money from Apps and Media services. But ultimately they want to further tie you into their ecosystem which involves web browser services as well as mobile. 

They really ticked off Apple though, which has had blowback. I personally hold the belief that both companies are making each other's product's better. I'm curious where the iPhone would be today without Android's competition. 

Fandroids usually scream iOS is the same as it ever was, so in their words, Android hasn't changed iOS a bit 1biggrin.gif

It is actually opposite: how would Android be if there wasn't iOS? Would there be any Android at all? 

post #112 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Why does DED have such a massive boner for Android news?

Uhh...Why are you obsessed with DED's massive boner? That's...creepy.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #113 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

both made from same plastic material.

post #114 of 245
Funny all of you Android apologists here don't like to mention that the majority of the statistics you point to of "Android winning" are made up of the majority being outside of the US.

Also, that outside of the US, there are around 500+ alternative app stores to Google's, where Google has no say or power to fix anything.

That a large majority of those "stores" don't actually sell anything... but are "free-4-all" platforms of hacked apps.

And finally, the one app that is probably on any mobile including iOS is WhatsApp. Google or YouTube search how that app is hacked: turn on install from unknown sources.

Considering that WhatsApp is a huge platform and on billions of Android phones.... that... and only that app... "could" socially engineer a malware trigger quite easily.

Ran across this pretty decent statistic page from April 2013 while researching...

Who’s Winning, iOS or Android? All the Numbers, All in One Place
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #115 of 245

Such news have no impact of whatsoever on sales and adoption of Android or iOS. Android is there because Google wants ad monopoly and gadget makers need to make their gadgets alive. Security was never issue for any of them. Enterprises still won't buy Android and kids won't buy any less.

post #116 of 245

I think some here are over reacting and overstating Android's security vulnerabilities.

These things always get fixed with the latest software updates, so there's nothing to be concerned about at all.

Just wait for the Jelly Bean update and all will be fine...any day now... 

post #117 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

HAHA!  Well, even Heidi regrets getting those 10 procedures in one day, in order to look like a human Barbie Doll.

post #118 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

So - according to this, I have to load a compromised app (an app originally signed and distributed by a legitimate developer, then compromised by a rogue). Can someone explain how this is supposed to happen via the app store? Doesn't seem likely. Seems more likely to happen if the user downloads and then sideloads such a rogue/hacked app.

"However, due to the newly discovered Android flaw, a rogue developer can trick the system into thinking that a compromised app is still legitimate, giving it system wide access to do virtually anything."

I can easily think of ways to get malware on via man-in-the-middle attacks.  Not that hard to do now with all these wifi hotspots around that have very weak security (if any most of the time).

post #119 of 245
Quote:

Fandroids usually scream iOS is the same as it ever was, so in their words, Android hasn't changed iOS a bit 1biggrin.gif

It is actually opposite: how would Android be if there wasn't iOS? Would there be any Android at all? 

Yes, but it would be as originally envisaged: a Blackberry clone.

post #120 of 245
Quote:

No, silicone and silicon are two separate materials.  It's not just an American/British spelling variation like aluminum/aluminium. :D

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u]