Originally Posted by Sreeram
You know why Android is an exception?
You know why it'll be successful?
Because it is run by Google!
A company that does not simply stack up cash but uses it to make the world a better place!
It is a company that strives for innovation unlike Apple.
I don't hate Apple because it is closed but because there are lower strides of innovation in the company. It looks only for profitability not a better world!
Hardware fragmentation naturally occurs as the platform grows. Simply, look at Apple. How many idevices of different sizes and different hardware capacities does it have?
If keeping closed is the only way to solve fragmentation of software. Then think again!
Google will show you how to with rolling updates shortly!
Ill talk of the top 4 reasons pointing out Android's short coming against iOS.
1) Problem with Androids not just fragmentation, its the fact that the platforms a place flooded with malware.
Once google figures out how to push updates across its many hardware providers that would help better this issue as well.
2) Secondly how is it that you have no Android phone in the 4 inch category and as thin and powerful as the iPhone 5 ?
I don't know but there aren't hardware manufactures doing the same size , with the same kind of processing capabilities, with the same weight to thickness factor.
It's coz Android + the custom User Interface layer requires more hardware capabilities to perform the same as iOS !
And to cover up that limitation, device manufactures come up with the " We got a 5 inch screen quote.
3) Thirdly, you ever notice that most developers create software for iOS more than Android coz iOS is were developers can make money, because people actually buy applications from Apple's App Store.
Fragmentation is one reason scaring developers away from Android. The fact that there are multiple stores and the hacker community would crack most of these games and make it available for free on alternative stores. End result being an Android user has options to get apps for free, which as a result throws app developers away. Why would I spend money to create an app for Android, when I am going to make a loss with it.
Which is why most of the creative game developing companies put apps alone on iOS and not Android. Badland, Infinity Blade , Limbo and so many others take iOS as there primary source of sales. Granted they'll prolly make an Android version after they have made money with Apple's store few years down the line.
4) Apple's Eco System ! Its connected and integrated so well. No other platform has the Connectivity that Apple has achieved.
5) Too many fault points for failure. Android has a different set of implementations by pretty much every handset maker, and that by nature brings in more number of failure points in terms of security and usability. Coz every other handset manufacturer is doing what they think is best.
With Apple, they do everything themselves !