or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos, video show highly suspect 'iPhone Lite' display and shell with no exterior buttons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Photos, video show highly suspect 'iPhone Lite' display and shell with no exterior buttons - Page 2

post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Really sad that all the blogs are giving this stupid site hits. And then treating it as if its the real deal. 1oyvey.gif

 

Because it gives people the opportunity to vomit their ignorance all over us and then vehemently defend it, while the moronic onlookers applaud and cheer and demand more.

post #42 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Yeah, those people are morons for being poor...they should prioritize phones over food & rent...1hmm.gif

Nope. These people are morons for demanding a flagship smartphone, with the content and benefits of a flagship smartphone, for the price of an entry smartphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

And a device with a non removable battery is never really off either.

Of course it is. Just turn it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan brook View Post

Why bother to publish this if: "It should be noted that AppleInsider cannot confirm the veracity of Techdy's report and offers the following information for purposes of discussion only."?

What is worth discussing?

Because this is a rumor website. I can see how that's easy to forget at times.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #43 of 110
The iPod touch did not go with plastic.
IMO The new iPhones (as well as the new full size iPad) should look exactly like the iPad mini but in a few different sizes and price configurations.
Also Economically challenged people may be willing to pay more for a phone if it were bigger so it can be used as a phone, tablet & computer.
post #44 of 110

Squeeze to unlock

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #45 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

While it would be really cool if apple invented some kind of ultrasonic finger-sensing technology, These are still likely unfinished backshells. The holes mean nothing to us. The shape is likely a version of the next iPhone. Cheaper to make thanmachined aluminum, Apple may have found a way to make plastic cool again.
not samsung and their 20million phones SOLD!
post #46 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

 

When has Apple ever created a new product for a market that isn't the US? They have limited resources and yet some contend this new product is aimed primarily at other markets, why? Profit grubbers do that, they make products so they can go earn more profits, while Apple builds (a limited number of) products that people love. I don't believe for a moment that they will build a new product to go grab some profit in Indonesia, that's simply not Apple at all.

 

This is just an absolutely nonsense thing to say.  Pretty much *all* of Apples products for years have been made for more than "just the USA."  Apple is a global company and sells their entire product line around the world.  More than half of their sales come from outside the USA and have for a long time.  

post #47 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

 

Before wooing this Indonesian truck driver, Apple might have more to gain by focusing on selling more iPhones to Germans, Italians and Portuguese, whether they are driving planes, trains or automobiles. 

 

Man, this is such a dumbass quasi-racist thing to say.  I'm not going to bother to get into it too much, but jeez think what you say before you say it next time.  

 

There are no poor folks in Germany or the USA?  Never been to Indonesia have you?  Everyone in the developing world isn't poor and everyone in Europe isn't rich.  I just postulated the Indonesian truck driver to get people to visualise more than just what's in their backyard, and to think about markets that so far are almost completely untapped.  The truck driver in Indonesia is no different economically than some guy from Alabama.  In fact he/she's probably better off because he knows the value of hard work whereas in the USA …  

 

The issue is off-contract cheap phones versus on-contract luxury phones.  The reason a lot of places like Indonesia aren't tapped yet is more because of what the telecoms are (or aren't) doing.  

post #48 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Cheaper to make thanmachined aluminum, Apple may have found a way to make plastic cool again.

Would it cease to be 'cheap plastic' because Apple is using it?
post #49 of 110

Going under the assumption this is the budget iPhone:

 

Buttons can be seen on the shell of the Basic Bear

 

Side:

10bear-510x340.jpg

 

Top:

6bear-510x340.jpg

 

On a side note. For $199 the Basic Bear offers a lot of value. Not to mention the fact it outperforms the iPhone 5.

 

  • Snapdragon 600 @1.7GHz  (complete OpenGL ES 3.0 support)
  • 2GB RAM
  • 4inch 1136x640 IPS display 
  • Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (stock)
  • HSPA+ 42
  • 16GB internal storage
  • etc.
post #50 of 110

I wonder what their margin is.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #51 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderUser99 View Post

For $199 the Basic Bear offers a lot of value.

Citation needed.
Quote:
Not to mention the fact it outperforms the iPhone 5.

Citation needed.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #52 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Citation needed.
Citation needed.

Basic Bear: http://techdy.com/shop/basic-bear/

 

--

 

Snapdragon 600 OpenGL ES 3.0 certification: http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/02/15/another-first-qualcomm-technologies-opengl-es-30-certification

 

GFXBench (GLBenchmark): http://gfxbench.com/result.jsp

 

GFXBench 2.7 T-Rex HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p)

 

Snapdragon 600 scores between 900~971 frames (depending on clock speed, RAM type, and OS version).

 

iPhone 5 scores 373 frames.

 

--

 

You would assume it would be common knowledge that Snapdragon 600 can outperform Apple's A6.

post #53 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Bad Photoshop job in adding those buttons. You are obviously a shill sent by the company to do some damage-control about the missing buttons.

The images can be found on Techdy's webpage: http://techdy.com/shop/basic-bear/?added-to-cart=528

post #54 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

That doesn't change the fact that the buttons are obviously added with Photoshop, and that you are more than likely working for this company and spamming this thread.

I don't work for their company. I was pointing out the look of the buttons going under the assumption that original device is the budget iPhone.

 

I don't understand what I've done to offend you, but I do know I'm entitled to posting on this board (as any user is).

post #55 of 110

What a weird accusation.  This entire thread is about images posted by that company on their website.  Cross-posting them here makes you a shill?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #56 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderUser99 View Post

Basic Bear: http://techdy.com/shop/basic-bear/

Oh, no worries, then. They'll be sued into bankruptcy and the people responsible jailed.
Quote:
You would assume it would be common knowledge that Snapdragon 600 can outperform Apple's A6.

If that were the case, sure.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #57 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderUser99 View Post

I don't work for their company. I was pointing out the look of the buttons going under the assumption that original device is the budget iPhone.

 

I don't understand what I've done to offend you, but I do know I'm entitled to posting on this board (as any user is).

 

Ok, so you don't work for their company. I still find highly suspicious that you registered just to post "fixed" pictures of the this Android iPhone knock-off from a shady company, along with all of its detailed specs, price and links to buy the product.

post #58 of 110

The AI article posted a link to the blog of the "shady company", which had further links to their store.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #59 of 110

My prediction: 

 

No plastic iPhone Lite/Budget/Cheapo. I think Apple is pretty done with polycarbonate for anything other than some accessories.

 

iPod touch pricing and features (color options and cameras) remain the same. I think Apple settled on these configs in advance of the iPhone "Lite" rollout:

  • iPod Touch 16 GB $229 (no iSight camera; limited to 16GB storage; "previous-gen" A series chip)
  • iPod Touch 32 GB $299 (FaceTime and iSight cameras, and 32 and 64 GB flavors; "previous-gen" A series chip)
  • iPod Touch 64 GB $399 (FaceTime and iSight cameras, and 32 and 64 GB flavors; "previous-gen" A series chip)

 

iPhone "Lite" leverages ipod Touch components and chassis, rather that the previous-gen iPhone components and chassis

  • iPhone Lite 16 GB $399 (iPod touch colors; iPod Touch chassis; iPod Touch's iSight and FaceTime cameras; "previous-gen" A series chip; not available with subsidy, only direct from Apple)

 

iPhone latest-gen iPhone (5S/6/Whatever) gets a $50 price drop across the board; no color options (only black and white styles) and uses the most advanced hardware:

  • iPhone 5S 32 GB $599 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)
  • iPhone 5S 64 GB $699 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)
  • iPhone 5S 128 GB $799 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)

 

In this scenario, Apple's economy of scale advantages are maintained by carrying over components from the current generation iPod Touch line rather than the prior iPhone (4/4S/5) line. This also will allow Apple to sell more of their iPhones themselves (from the online or retail stores) and not via carriers and third-party retailers. Lastly, data for the iPhone Lite will be sold exactly the way it is sold for iPads. The exception, of course, is that voice data will continue to be disallowed on iPad.


Edited by Carthusia - 7/7/13 at 11:01am
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #60 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

 

Ok, so you don't work for their company. I still find highly suspicious that you registered just to post "fixed" pictures of the this Android iPhone knock-off from a shady company, along with all of its detailed specs, price and links to buy the product.

I'm a tech enthusiast, I just happened to be reading this article and took interest.

 

I looked at the link posted in the AI article and found the images of the Basic Bear. So I decided to post them and comment.

 

The link to the page was requested following my original post. 

post #61 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


I would love to see an iPhone Air as the gateway iPhone.

If Apple can do what they did with the iPad Mini and reimagine thin and light that would be a show stopper.
You realize what you're postulating is an iPhone 5 right?

A cheapo 5S with A6 and 16GB? Yup iPhone 5 which will cost $549 when the 5S comes out, if Apple decides to keep it around.

$549 is not affordable enough for most of the world.

My thoughts on the upcoming cheapo phone is a phone based on the iPod touch. Colored aluminum ultra thin and light, sexy and colorful. Apple could totally do that with the aluminum design. They did it with the iphone 1 by simply adding a plastic window for the cell radio signals to go out from.

Anyway I see a device with a colorful aluminum case, A5, 5 megapixel camera, 8GB of storage and Qualcomm's LTE and CD-LTE wireless chips.

$349 budget iPhone: 8GB Black&Silver. A5, 5MP cam, LTE

$449 budget iPhone: 16GB Colors. A5, 5MP, LTE

$549 iPhone 5: 16GB Black&Slate/White&Silver. A6, 8MP, LTE

$649 iPhone 5S: 32GB Black&Slate/White&Silver. A7, 13MP, LTE

 

I'm rather bemused they didn't just release an iPod touch with phone capability.

 

I think the touch is a better design.  I like the smooth rear shell better than the edged iPhone 5.  The touch looks really sexy in person.  

 

The colours are there.  The design is sexy.  But I doubt (Apple being Apple) will do this.  The swirls around the plastic design are pretty deafening...

 

Not that I have a problem with that.  If that white design is the cheap-ER iPhone, I'm down with that.  

 

iPhone 5 specs in white plastic.  A classy, simple design.  I'd have bought that for £250-ish.  And we know Apple will do a very good quality 'plastic' phone.  Apple's stuff is generally classy in build quality...and design.

 

I would still like a bigger iPhone model.  We may see the plastic model, the 'air' and then the +.  

 

3 models is fine.  Each one 'premium' in its price bracket.

 

I'm surprised Apple has taken this long to be honest. 

 

The samsung and android are paper lions...living out of the oxygen Apple has given them...

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #62 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Why in the world would Apple redesign the iPod touch last year if they were going to replace it with something plastic this year?

Exactly! 

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #63 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


If that were the case, sure.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if that were the case", I can assure you, any variant of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600 is more powerful than Apple's A6 inside of the iPhone 5. The GLES 3.0 certification and support makes it much more versatile as well.

post #64 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

My prediction: 

No plastic iPhone Lite/Budget/Cheapo. i think Apple is pretty done with polycarbonate for anything other than some accessories.

iPod touch pricing and features 9color options and cameras) remain the same. I think Apple settled on these configs in advance of the iPhone "Lite" rollout:
  • iPod Touch 16 GB $229 (no iSight camera; limited to 16GB storage; "previous-gen" A series chip)
  • iPod Touch 32 GB $299 (FaceTime and iSight cameras, and 32 and 64 GB flavors; "previous-gen" A series chip)
  • iPod Touch 64 GB $399 (FaceTime and iSight cameras, and 32 and 64 GB flavors; "previous-gen" A series chip)

iPhone "Lite" leverages ipod Touch components and chassis, rather that the previous-gen iPhone components and chassis
  • iPhone Lite 16 GB $399 (iPod touch colors; iPod Touch chassis; iPod Touch's iSight and FaceTime cameras; "previous-gen" A series chip; not available with subsidy, only direct from Apple)

iPhone latest-gen iPhone (5S/6/Whatever) gets a $50 price drop across the board; no color options (only black and white styles) and uses the most advanced hardware:
  • iPhone 5S 32 GB $599 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)
  • iPhone 5S 64 GB $699 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)
  • iPhone 5S 128 GB $799 (the very latest of all components; subsidized or unlocked)

In this scenario, Apple's economy of scale advantages are maintained by carrying over components from the current generation iPod Touch line rather than the prior iPhone (4/4S/5) line. This also will allow Apple to sell more of their iPhones themselves (from the online or retail stores) and not via carriers and third-party retailers. Lastly, data for the iPhone Lite will be sold exactly the way it is sold for iPads. The exception, of course, is that voice data will continue to be disallowed on iPad.

I'm thinking the same, and I like your idea of restricting the cheap model to Apple stores only and keeping it away from phone companies and their over priced plans.

The often rumored iPod touch phone may finally see the light of day.
post #65 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderUser99 View Post

Going under the assumption this is the budget iPhone:

 

Buttons can be seen on the shell of the Basic Bear

 

Side:

10bear-510x340.jpg

 

Top:

6bear-510x340.jpg

 

On a side note. For $199 the Basic Bear offers a lot of value. Not to mention the fact it outperforms the iPhone 5.

 

  • Snapdragon 600 @1.7GHz  (complete OpenGL ES 3.0 support)
  • 2GB RAM
  • 4inch 1136x640 IPS display 
  • Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (stock)
  • HSPA+ 42
  • 16GB internal storage
  • etc.

First of all, this piece of crap is fucking vapor. Second, you have no idea that there is a distinction between specs and performance. GTFOH!

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #66 of 110

Nice way to welcome a newcomer.  Grow up.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #67 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The AI article posted a link to the blog of the "shady company", which had further links to their store.

The difference is that AI put it in the right context: these photos and videos are highly suspect. This guy just popped out of nowhere and registered with a generic nickname just to post positive things about this product and defend its specs.

 

I'm not the kind to accuse everyone of being a paid-shill because they criticize Apple or praise a competitor. But in this case I find it highly suspicious that this user registered just for that, with a nickname that looks temporary.

 

Maybe I should've used an accusatory tone at first because it's hard to actually prove, but to me it was so obvious that I didn't think twice about it.

post #68 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

My prediction: 

 

...

 

iPhone "Lite" leverages ipod Touch components and chassis, rather that the previous-gen iPhone components and chassis

  • iPhone Lite 16 GB $399 (iPod touch colors; iPod Touch chassis; iPod Touch's iSight and FaceTime cameras; "previous-gen" A series chip; not available with subsidy, only direct from Apple)

How confident are we that the iPod Touch chassis is even suitable for use as a phone?  It doesn't have an integrated cellular aerial, and the whole thing is made of aluminium, which would imply to my mind that an internal aerial would be pretty poor.

 

It might sound nice, but I don't think it's going to work without significant re-engineering.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #69 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I'm surprised Apple has taken this long to be honest. 

Lemon Bon Bon.

It probably wasnt until this year the cost of making more than one model made sense for them as far as components.

A few years ago there would be no way they could make an "iPhone" quality device for much cheaper than what they were charging but now they are themselves selling an all
Glass and aluminum iPhone with retina display for $449.

That's a first and now I'm sure component cost and their economy of scale in manufacturing have improved to the point where they can produce and sell an all aluminum iPhone with all the features users have come to expect for less than $400.

As far as the plastic leaks? Smoke and mirrors. Maybe even red herrings from Apple to weed out leakers. Remember they have doubled down on security.
post #70 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

How confident are we that the iPod Touch chassis is even suitable for use as a phone?  It doesn't have an integrated cellular aerial, and the whole thing is made of aluminium, which would imply to my mind that an internal aerial would be pretty poor.

 

It might sound nice, but I don't think it's going to work without significant re-engineering.

A larger or secondary plastic window in the aluminum chassis for cellular antenna reception? That doesn't seem like some major re-engineering feat to me, but, hey....

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #71 of 110

Techdy's website says this phone runs stock Jelly Bean 4.2.1 so I guess the rumor that the pics might be the new cheap iPhone is squashed?  Maybe just a marketing ploy to get attention to the phone they're working on?

post #72 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

How confident are we that the iPod Touch chassis is even suitable for use as a phone?  It doesn't have an integrated cellular aerial, and the whole thing is made of aluminium, which would imply to my mind that an internal aerial would be pretty poor.

It might sound nice, but I don't think it's going to work without significant re-engineering.

Add a plastic panel at the bottom of the aluminum backplate ala iPhone 1 and bam. Cheaper iPhone that's beautiful and high end and even harkens back to the fanfare of the iPhone 1.

With Apples patents and research in battery tech I don't think that will be a problem either.
post #73 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

A larger or secondary plastic window in the aluminum chassis for cellular antenna reception? That doesn't seem like some major re-engineering feat to me, but, hey....

Apple doesn't seem the type to recycle the design of a lower level product. If a budget iPhone does exist, I think it would have an original design.

 

They want to bring something fresh to market, and at the same time keep the design minimalistic in order to keep a flagship iPhone on the top of their hierarchy.

post #74 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Techdy's website says this phone runs stock Jelly Bean 4.2.1 so I guess the rumor that the pics might be the new cheap iPhone is squashed?

The fact that they're the ones selling it also does a bit of the squishing.

'Course Apple will be doing the squishing in a month or two.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #75 of 110

From a purely aesthetic point of view, that white shell with the completely black screen (no white surround) looks very good. But Apple would probably never do this because their white phones always have white screen surrounds.

post #76 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


Add a plastic panel at the bottom of the aluminum backplate ala iPhone 1 and bam. Cheaper iPhone that's beautiful and high end and even harkens back to the fanfare of the iPhone 1.

With Apples patents and research in battery tech I don't think that will be a problem either.

 

But the original iPhone didn't get great reception.  That's supposedly why they changed to the plastic back.  What advance have you identified that would mean this isn't a problem any more?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #77 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderUser99 View Post

Apple doesn't seem the type to recycle the design of a lower level product. If a budget iPhone does exist, I think it would have an original design.

 

They want to bring something fresh to market, and at the same time keep the design minimalistic in order to keep a flagship iPhone on the top of their hierarchy.

I think its more likely than going to a polycarbonate chassis, which hasn't been used on an iPhone since, when, the iPhone 3GS? Aesthetically, positioning this cheaper phone closer to the iPod Touch would also make more marketing sense-again, to differentiate from and argue for the iPhone 5S/6/Whatever.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #78 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

 

But the original iPhone didn't get great reception.  That's supposedly why they changed to the plastic back.  What advance have you identified that would mean this isn't a problem any more?

The current iPhone 5 has an aluminum chassis and gets great reception.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #79 of 110

Unless I'm mistaken, the iPhone 5 antennas are external; the piece of aluminium around the top, and the piece around the bottom are the antennas..  The iPod Touch could not use this system without significant engineering, because its chassis is currently a single unibody piece.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #80 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Unless I'm mistaken, the iPhone 5 antennas are external; the piece of aluminium around the top, and the piece around the bottom are the antennas..  The iPod Touch could not use this system without significant engineering, because its chassis is currently a single unibody piece.

Not so sure about that, I think the antennas are located behind those two glass panels on the top and bottom of the iPhone 5's back panel, otherwise why would they be there? The design would be more aesthetically pleasing without them.


Edited by 1983 - 7/7/13 at 12:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Photos, video show highly suspect 'iPhone Lite' display and shell with no exterior buttons
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos, video show highly suspect 'iPhone Lite' display and shell with no exterior buttons