or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to launch fifth-gen iPad in Sept., new iPad mini to follow

Apple rumored to launch fifth-gen iPad in Sept., new iPad mini to follow - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's not a matter of good or bad. It's a matter of preference. I prefer RD at the expense of a bit of bull and weight. Good for me. You prefer to keep it light. Good for you. There's no bad or not good in this. No right and wrong.

bulk and weight are counter intuitive to the Mini portable and light.   if bulk and weight are not an issue for you, you got the iPad 4... so.. apple does make a product for you... why confuse your choice?

post #42 of 75
No iPad Mini Retina this year. SoC isn't ready yet. But expect to see MBA like Battery improvement to both iPad and iPad mini. iPad will weight less, more powerful, last longer. I think that is enough to sell.

Looks like it will be a very busy quarter coming up soon. As Apple has New Macbook Pro / iMac with Haswell, new GPU. And Flash Storage update. The iPad Series, and the iPhone. Also the much participated and rumours less expensive iPhone. All Happening within the next 3 months.

And Finally the Mac Pro after that.
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Every model of Mac has an SDXC card slot so I wouldn't be *totally* shocked if the iPad got one.

The 11" Macbook Air doesn't.

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anecdotal data based on a lifetime in the computer industry.  I doubt you'd find many that disagree with me though.  

Most everyone I know that has a "home" copy of Office got it at work and use it at home either illegally or based on some thin justification of "working at home."  I work at a large institution at the moment where everyone is on the same bulk license and we negotiate each year with Microsoft for same.  They have been pushing us onto a subscription model (or trying to) for the last three years and most of the guys responsible for the actual contract are agreeable to this as it saves the yearly negotiation.  

piling on... MS is going to a Azure based licensing model that will make that subscription model a requirement.  in 4 years, the only way you will be able to install Office on a PC will be either connected to your corporate LAN, or registering an account on office365.com, and then committing to a particular license group... if using a corporate license group, the corporation may and will require your system to be registered with them (in their AD), and/or tie it to employment (the day of your termination is the day your office365 requires you to pay for accessing(modifying/printing) your documents on your home/personal PC/mobile.

It's the only way Microsoft will survive.

post #45 of 75
Quote:

I personally would like to see a Retina version of the Mini,

Given that its 80% there already and deemed by many to be an iPad Lite, I think I would rather see them solve the issues of glare, outdoor use and finer touch response with even some level of pressure sensitivity in all the iPads before worrying about going retina with the Mini.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #46 of 75
Quote:

Exactly right? How could this be exactly right or wrong? What if it was 2 grams heavier, or 0.5 mm thicker? Still Bingo? How silly.

You're confusing opinions and preferences with factual validity. That's ok because that just makes you a member of majority.

Ugh!

I bet you're not married...lucky girl! 

post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Every model of Mac has an SDXC card slot so I wouldn't be *totally* shocked if the iPad got one.

If they wanted to they could have out such a slot in from day one. They didn't because they don't want to. And there is nothing at this point that points to a change in that thinking. If anything, adding a 128GB model suggests a continuing of their lack of desire.

Would it be great to see bigger capacity iPads, sure. And I think we will. I suspect that the 16gb is about to go the way of the Dodo or at least only to the 'cheap' model. Move the iPad Mini 1 and iPad 4 to 16 GB only (and yes using the 4 is to get everything lighting connector) and make the 32gb the baseline for the 'new' models. They might even do the same with the iPhones with a single 'cheaop' model at 16 GB and the new model at 32/64.

post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Typically, the iPhone is the flagship that launches with the update. The iPad has often had to wait.

With the new fall schedule, that might change of course.

Why do you think they moved the iPads to the Fall. People were pissy about the being new features in iOS that no iPad had the needed bits to use. So now they all come out together with a wait of perhaps a month in between. Rather than 6-8 months

post #49 of 75
Quote:

How often would the average person need to use VBA on the iPad?

I've never had to use VBA period, even on the desktop. And it's not like I don't use spreadsheets all the time.

Numbers does 99% of what the average user needs to do. Most people just think they need Office because of the brand recognition.

That said, while I love Numbers on the desktop, I find the iPad version unusable. Maybe it's just the form factor and necessary UI. I don't know.

Average person never. But business user perhaps. Which is why I support the notion if Apple allowing plug in support in iOS. Make the plug ins have to go through the store but have it in there. In iOS, in their apps, any any app if the developer wants to use it.

Not only would this allow them to 'pro' up things like Numbers they could expand all their apps, even iOS itself as well as moving out some of the bloat to DLC as needed. I only speak or read/write five languages -- English, Japanese, French, Welsh and Irish. Plus use emoji. I don't need all the other keyboards, languages etc. so why stuff up my iPad/iPhone with them. Let me grab what I need and if a time comes I need anything else I can hop online and grab them. My kid brother doesn't use the trailers in iMovie so why stuff up his iPad with them. Let him download them when and if he wants to do one. And such a system would allow for having more themes of both kinds. And so on.

post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Bingo! 1smile.gif This is exactly right.I'd be very surprised if Apple made the Mini thicker and heavier to accommodate RD.

I know they did it with the iPad 10". 

Yeah like 2mm thicker and a half gram heavier. Really not worth freaking out about.

post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why do you think they moved the iPads to the Fall. People were pissy about the being new features in iOS that no iPad had the needed bits to use. So now they all come out together with a wait of perhaps a month in between. Rather than 6-8 months
So that's why? You're speculating or you know this for a fact?
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yeah like 2mm thicker and a half gram heavier. Really not worth freaking out about.

Indeed. And if one cannot deal with that, just buy the previous version. People need to stop the silliness about how Apple might make a mistake.

Having said this, 2 mm thicker might be much as the current thickness is < 8 mm.
Edited by stelligent - 7/8/13 at 11:11am
post #53 of 75
Quote:

Anecdotal data based on a lifetime in the computer industry.  I doubt you'd find many that disagree with me though.  

Most everyone I know that has a "home" copy of Office got it at work and use it at home either illegally or based on some thin justification of "working at home."  I work at a large institution at the moment where everyone is on the same bulk license and we negotiate each year with Microsoft for same.  They have been pushing us onto a subscription model (or trying to) for the last three years and most of the guys responsible for the actual contract are agreeable to this as it saves the yearly negotiation.  

So you're somewhat familiar with a small bit if one sector of the industry and are presuming the rest. Gotcha. Thx!
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

bulk and weight are counter intuitive to the Mini portable and light.   if bulk and weight are not an issue for you, you got the iPad 4... so.. apple does make a product for you... why confuse your choice?

So slightly thicker and slightly heavier would be make the Mini totally non-portable? That would just be totally wrong? Gotcha.
post #55 of 75
Quote:

My guess is they have two full prototypes one mini and one without.... and they are weighing the cost to build vs anticipated profits vs cannabilizaion of other iPad lines (Mini 'Classic', iPad 5, iPhone 5s, MBA).   While they are all about cannabilizing, they won't do it at a loss, especiallly if no one is competing with them at the current price point.

My personal opinion... is that the iPad Mini may wait till iOS 7.2 or .3 (spring release), IF apple releases a new iPhone 'Cheap'  (4" form factor), and sunsets the iPhone 4 AND iPhone 4s with that release.   having a 4" form factor, a Mini form factor, a MiniRD formfactor, and iPad 2 and iPad 4 form factors is about the max for developers to support without massive complaint. 

Retiring the 4 and 4s allows them to shut down factory space for retooling, allows the glass manufacturers to switch to IZGO or whatever the mini RD will be built on, and as noted, keeping developers happy.   On top of that, it also allows prices to drop on battery and screen technology which are a majority of the cost and weight of the device, increasing profits, and also not disrupting their product line message.    That's the long game view.

What Apple may do to increase the profitability of the Mini is discount the current non-Retina model by $50 to $279, and raise the starting price of the new Retina model to $379.

Both prices would still be competitive and Apple could make the Mini line a bit more profitable.

Such a move would probably be un-Apple though.
post #56 of 75
Quote:

My guess is they have two full prototypes one mini and one without.... and they are weighing the cost to build vs anticipated profits vs cannabilizaion of other iPad lines (Mini 'Classic', iPad 5, iPhone 5s, MBA).   While they are all about cannabilizing, they won't do it at a loss, especiallly if no one is competing with them at the current price point.

My personal opinion... is that the iPad Mini may wait till iOS 7.2 or .3 (spring release), IF apple releases a new iPhone 'Cheap'  (4" form factor), and sunsets the iPhone 4 AND iPhone 4s with that release.   having a 4" form factor, a Mini form factor, a MiniRD formfactor, and iPad 2 and iPad 4 form factors is about the max for developers to support without massive complaint. 

Retiring the 4 and 4s allows them to shut down factory space for retooling, allows the glass manufacturers to switch to IZGO or whatever the mini RD will be built on, and as noted, keeping developers happy.   On top of that, it also allows prices to drop on battery and screen technology which are a majority of the cost and weight of the device, increasing profits, and also not disrupting their product line message.    That's the long game view.

Absolutely right. I couldn't agree more however I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 5 were discontinued as well largely for marketing reasons. The "less expensive iPhone" could then be branded the 5s and scale from the bottom of the lineup (single color option and configuration much like entry iPod touch) all the way up to the middle of the market in multiple color configurations. The iPod line is often where Apple experiments with such strategies. Apple then brings out a new iPhone 6 which is the same basic form factor as the current 5 but with all the usual refinements.

As you rightly point out, that would eliminate the 3.5" screen of the 4s but also the legacy 30 pin connector from the lineup. This means more common parts across the board from casings to internals and and from a marketing standpoint Apple doesn't have to use the iPhone "light" (what iPhone # could be used otherwise) name or anything dumb like that. This will further differentiate the lower to middle end iPhone models from the flagship iPhone 6. The iPhone 5 sales slightly hampered by the presence of the quality 4 and 4s beneath it and this impacted margins more than Apple had anticipated.

With a whole new lineup consisting of a 5s and 6, Apple can repackage much of the tech on the lower end, introduce colors, improve margins and give us the surprise of TWO new iPhones. All this while making life easier for accessory makers and developers!!!!

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

cut the tech garbage and check me out at

www.appletechspot.com

post #57 of 75
Quote:

I personally would like to see a Retina version of the Mini, even it has to be thicker and heavier. Pundits who claim Apple made a mistake launching a thicker and heavier RP version of the iPad don't understand or appreciate engineering. Simply keep the current version of the Mini around and let consumers choose.

Of course, Apple might surprise us with a RP-Mini that is neither thicker nor heavier. That would be a remarkable feat of engineering. 

I feel the same way about the iPad 3. It was noticeably heavier than the iPad 2 that I previously owned, and the battery life was shorter (despite Apple's claims), but the retina display was a sight to behold. I still use it everyday. The weight issue and thickness of the iPad 3 is largely blown out of proportion, IMO. It's heavier than I'd like it be, but not a deal breaker. If Apple can deliver a smaller, lighter iPad 5 and keep battery life up, I'm all in.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

The 11" Macbook Air doesn't.

Nor does the Mac Pro.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #59 of 75
Quote:

If it were up to me, I would drop the mini price to $299 and wait until next year to make a retina display.  This strategy would maintain margins while increasing market share (especially if the size was reduced or if battery life went up). It would also keep the retina display as a distinguishing feature for the 9.7 iPad.   

post #60 of 75

I got a prototype of this unit and when I picked it up by the corner the screen busted and the back fell off.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #61 of 75

Looking forward to both of these, the standard iPad and the mini iPad, tech progress is always entertaining as well as useful.

And an IZGO screen for the iPhone would be a nice extension of it's utility.

post #62 of 75
Quote:

I would.  In my mind the difference is the OS.  iOS doesn't have a file system, and while it's possible to have SD cards without a file system, it's awkward.  
IOS has a file system! That file system isn't directly exposed to the user though.
post #63 of 75
Quote:

I'm also thinking that I don't want a retina iPad mini if it's even a smidge heavier or thicker, but alas, the current one is so seriously underpowered, that it would be hard to keep using it another year.
Both iPads cold use a performance boost. If they go to an IGZO screen and a process shrink that should be easy to accomplish. The big thing with the OS though is RAM. Apple really needs to bump up RAM to someplace between 2 & 4 GB. This would directly improve the performance of many apps but more importantly is needed to support features of the next iOS update. Rationally it is about time to see a doubling of RAM and flash in the pads anyways.
Quote:
 The (presumed) performance increase of the new one will probably make it a hard choice.  I'd love to see them make a new one without retina as without the albatross of all that graphics hanging around it's neck it would be super fast, possibly as fast as iPad mini 3.0 or 4.0 will undoubtedly be.  
That makes no sense. If iPad Mini #2 is faster then they would have to make 3&4 even faster. I don't think this will be a problem with the transition to TSMC. The big problem there is that you will need to wait for the 2014 model. I wouldn't be surprised to find that that 2014 chip is a 64 bit quad core solution too.
post #64 of 75
You highlight an important point here, scripting is an important feature of apps, something Apple must pursue throughout iOS. Even though AppleScript is getting a major overhaul I'm still not convinced it is the right solution. Scripting from within apps would do wonders for iOS and greatly reduce the problems associated with the OS's locked down nature. I've often wondered about JavaScript in this context but have seen little to indicate it is being widely adopted for app scripting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I'm not sure about never. Currently, Microsoft is refusing to come out with a full iPad version to try to bolster its surface sales. If/when they realize that this strategy is a total failure, they might decide to cut their losses and release Office for iOS.

Not allowing suites on the App Store is not an insurmountable problem. They could simply copy Apples strategy and offer each app seperately, or they could come up with another scheme to get around it.

I'm all for moving foreward, but currently I dont see a viable replacement for Office. Specifically, i dont know of any other spreadsheet software that is as well thought out and includes something like the VBA functionality as does Excel. Though an iOS version will likely have much of this functionality removed, untill someone else comes along who can improve on this Office will remain the standard for productivity software.
post #65 of 75
Quote:

How often would the average person need to use VBA on the iPad?
It might not be VBA specifically but application scripting support is very important. Honestly though I don't think the iOS developers agreement supports scripting languages like VBA.

As to need, this is simple, anything beyond the trivial requires scripting.
Quote:
I've never had to use VBA period, even on the desktop. And it's not like I don't use spreadsheets all the time.
Some people lead a simpler life. No big deal but don't underestimate the importance of scripting to others.
Quote:
Numbers does 99% of what the average user needs to do. Most people just think they need Office because of the brand recognition.
Actually that is garbage, Numbers is the weakest app in the iWorks suite.
Quote:
That said, while I love Numbers on the desktop, I find the iPad version unusable. Maybe it's just the form factor and necessary UI. I don't know.
It does take awhile to grasp Numbers on the iPad. I'm not happy at all with the iWorks iPad solution. Frankly it is a piece of crap and the lack of file compatibility with the desktop is part of that.
post #66 of 75
Poor baby got burned, or are you or are we making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod Buster View Post

would not buy another iPad after purchasing an iPad 3 and within 3 months a new one appeared..yes it still worked but I still feel I got burned...
post #67 of 75
Quote:

Numbers does 99% of what the average user needs to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...Numbers is the weakest app in the iWorks suite.

I'm not sure either statement is false.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For business use I find scripting support very important. I don't consider myself an advanced user either, I don't even work in management. However being able to script together a quick solution is very valuable.

As for Numbers being weak well it is all relative, so relatively speaking the rest of the iWorks suite is very competitive when out up against other products.
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I know I'll probably get bashed for saying this (and I know that Apple would never do it), but I agree and wish that Apple would add a microSD slot. Paying $100 for an extra 16GB (upgrading from the 16GB model to the 32GB model) or 32GB of storage (upgrading from the 32GB model to the 64GB model) is just ridiculous to me.

If people could expend their device storage infinitely by purchasing a $20 card it would make it difficult to get repeat customers. It also burdens the user with managing a "file system", which is not really an intuitive computing concept (unless you have previous PC experience).

Storage capacity is one of the only ways Apple can differentiate across multiple price points without fragmenting the ecosystem.

Yes they make a significant mark up on flash storage, but they can only price at what the market will bear. This is ultimately a good thing for the user because your are investing in a profitable platform. Contrast this to the netbook market where margins were so thin quality was thing first to go. 

post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

IOS has a file system! That file system isn't directly exposed to the user though.

It isn't exposed to the user the way desktop computer users are accustomed to seeing. Indeed, the notion that iOS doesn't have a file system is silly.
post #71 of 75
Quote:

On the other hand, there is no basis to claim that either is correct.
post #72 of 75
Quote:

On the other hand, there is no basis to claim that either is correct.

I rather think Numbers can fit the bill for a large portion of the spreadsheet market; don't you? If it couldn't, it wouldn't be selling in its current state at all.

post #73 of 75
Quote:

I rather think Numbers can fit the bill for a large portion of the spreadsheet market; don't you? If it couldn't, it wouldn't be selling in its current state at all.

Large portion ... most probably.

99%? No basis to support such a claim.

post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

I'm quite pleased with my Ipad 4, however in the next generation I'd love to see more screen (less bezel), faster processor, faster wifi, micro SD slot to make transfering files a little easier and if they could increase the battery life a bit (maybe 12-14 hours), that would be awesome! Oh, a full version of Office would also be great.
Office and Sd cards aren't coming (unless Microsoft stops battling) Accesory is available
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Micro SD card slot? You do know you're talking about an iPad right? You won't get that. More battery life is always great, but it's great already.

What we won't get which is needed IMO are FAR better speakers. If the iMac is any indication expect the iPad to keep getting thinner and the sound to keep getting worse each year.
Yes So far we have seen it as least likely to upgrade. However IPad mini having stero might seem we have a huge redone speaker system, maybe airplay with surround sound!
post #75 of 75
Quote:

Large portion ... most probably.

99%? No basis to support such a claim.

I said 99% of what the average user needs, not 99% of the market. The average user is the majority, so for the majority, it does 99% of what they need to do.

And it's priced accordingly.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple rumored to launch fifth-gen iPad in Sept., new iPad mini to follow
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to launch fifth-gen iPad in Sept., new iPad mini to follow