or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Safari ditches '.com' button, dots return in Calendar

iOS 7 beta: Safari ditches '.com' button, dots return in Calendar

post #1 of 66
The third beta of iOS 7 features a number of subtle but significant tweaks to the pre-release operating system, including the return of event day dots in Calendar, and the removal of the ".com" button from the virtual keyboard in Safari.

Changes

The ".com" button in Safari was an annoyance for some beta testers, who complained they would accidentally hit it instead of the space bar. The button was a remnant from earlier versions of iOS, when the search field and URL entry space were separate.

Starting with iOS 7, Apple has unified the URL and search bars into one user interface element. But the remaining ".com" button made the space bar smaller, and would lead to accidental presses when users meant to search rather than type in a URL.

Monday's release of iOS 7 beta 3 addresses that frustration experienced by some developers. As a replacement, users can hold down on the period button located to the right of the space bar, and the usual options of ".com," ".net," ".org," ".edu," and ".us" become available.

In another change to the third beta of iOS 7, Apple has brought back event day dots when using the native Calendar app in month view. In the first two betas, the redesigned Calendar app lacked the dots that were used in previous versions of iOS to allow users to know which days on their calendar included an event.

With iOS 7 beta 3, individual days on the calendar will have a small gray dot underneath the date to indicate that one or more calendar entries are scheduled for that day.

Other minor changes can be found throughout iOS 7 beta 3. For example, contact options in Messages have changed from text to icons.

Icons

And in Photos, the "Add" button has been changed to a plus sign, while a new "Add To" feature when selecting photos allows for easily placing pictures in albums. Fonts throughout the system have also been made easier to read, with a slightly thicker design.

The lock screen has also been tweaked to display current music album art, controls and time all simultaneously. And "World Clock" selections in the Clock app will inform users in words how many hours ahead or behind another time zone is.

In addition, when applications are installing from the App Store, Apple has changed to a new circular, clock-like loading animation.

For an in-depth look at the sweeping changes included in Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, see AppleInsider's Inside iOS 7 series.
post #2 of 66
Thicker fonts throughout the system seems to address a major issue many had.

I wonder when they will change the lock screen arrows that confuse people on how to swipe to unlock?

And I'm assuming at this point the icons will not change before release...
post #3 of 66
The shadow below the text on the home screen helps when having a light background.
post #4 of 66
Now, if they just change the back button to something usable and less ugly/confusing, and redesign the lock screen, almost all the UI concerns will be addressed.

Unlikely at this point I suppose. 1hmm.gif

The biggest thing that surprises me is that the lock screen which has been almost universally vilified by design nerds online, has remained exactly the same through three betas now. Everyone except Apple seems to agree that it has numerous, serious, overlapping problems and a few attempts I've seen at user testing of it shows that it's new behaviour simply isn't "discoverable" at all.

Yet it remains untouched.
post #5 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thicker fonts throughout the system seems to address a major issue many had….

I was wondering when they were going to do this as well.  The funny thing about the font they chose is that Helvetica Neue is actually a "multi-master" font and thus adjustable for many different states in-between medium, light, ultra-light, etc. They could literally choose any weight they wanted, but they went with the most extreme end.  Seems like they've just dialled it back a smidge to the perfect weight. 

post #6 of 66
They'll refine things one by one. Even after release: this is a SUPER high-speed job that began only 7-8 months ago. iOS 7 is so new, so quickly, that it is guaranteed to have growing pains.

I think I could have used iOS 7 for years and never even SEEN those lock screen arrows. They're certainly not the right solution. Maybe no solution is needed: the home screen and other apps have no indication of those gestures; why should the lock screen? Unless the lock screen is were you're supposed to LEARN that those gestures exist... a job which the arrows fail to achieve.
post #7 of 66
Quote:

I wonder when they will change the lock screen arrows that confuse people on how to swipe to unlock?

At first I thought I was imagining the fonts being bolder. I agree with the lock screen. You have the camera, shortcut menu, and slider to unlock all too close. Many small tweaks making things much better.
post #8 of 66
I've personally found the last 2 betas to be very unstable. I have trouble seeing this being ready for the public in any short timeframe without major adjustments. It simply doesn't work a high percentage of the time.
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Now, if they just change the back button to something usable and less ugly/confusing, and redesign the lock screen, almost all the UI concerns will be addressed.

iOS 7 is at least another 4 months to wide release. Apple has been releasing versions with design tweaks and changes every 2 weeks. And you don't think it is possible Apple may make more changes to improve the design?

post #10 of 66
I don't know if this happened when anyone else updated to beta 3, but all the translucency throughout the OS is completely gone. Notification center is now a solid black with white outlines at the top, control center is now a bright solid metal, the keyboard in spotlight is black and white in Messages. The bars in the stores are totally solid black and white. Is this true of anyone else? I tried restarting the phone but to no avail. I don't really care, but it is curious.
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

iOS 7 is at least another 4 months to wide release. Apple has been releasing versions with design tweaks and changes every 2 weeks. And you don't think it is possible Apple may make more changes to improve the design?

I somehow don't think so, but you are right.  This isn't necessarily a rational belief.  

post #12 of 66

iOS 7

Question does the menu now rotate on a i phone like on a i pad?
If someone could answer would be gratefully received.
Thanks
post #13 of 66
I have a feeling iOS 7 will be quite polished by the time it's ready to ship. They had to get something out for WWDC but they're polishing as they go and with certain changes like the thicker font it looks like they're listening to feedback and willing to make changes. 1smile.gif
post #14 of 66

Currently, there is no visual cue informing new users that Notification Center exists in iOS 6. It's just one of those things you learn from someone else, by accident, or by flipping through the quick start guide.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I don't know if this happened when anyone else updated to beta 3, but all the translucency throughout the OS is completely gone. Notification center is now a solid black with white outlines at the top, control center is now a bright solid metal, the keyboard in spotlight is black and white in Messages. The bars in the stores are totally solid black and white. Is this true of anyone else? I tried restarting the phone but to no avail. I don't really care, but it is curious.
I've heard there is a contrast setting that can be adjusted to turn the translucency on and off.
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Currently, there is no visual cue informing new users that Notification Center exists in iOS 6. It's just one of those things you learn from someone else, by accident, or by flipping through the quick start guide.
How many things software wise really are intuitive if you've never used them before? When my elderly mom got an iPad mini I had to show her how it works. But it didn't take her long to catch on and now she doesn't need my help at all. I haven't used iOS 7 yet but don't think it would take very long at all to get used to the navigation.
post #17 of 66

I'm pleased to see that the event day dots are back on the month view. Didn't see the point in removing them in the first place, maybe it was just a bug.

post #18 of 66

To bring back the transparency go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Turn off "Increase Contrast" and your transparency will return. 

post #19 of 66

translucency !!!!

What happend to the translucency!!!!  they made ios7 look different unique depending on every user's background!  I miss it and hate the flat one color look or black background for pull down notifications!

Please Apple.  Hope this is only a trial beta 3 version!  You guys even advertised it in the apple site and during WWDC speech.  Please change it back!

post #20 of 66

Thank God!   they made ios7 look different unique depending on every user's background!  I miss it and hate the flat one color look or black background for pull down notifications!

post #21 of 66
I think the dots in calendar are stupid. My personal opinion. Does anyone really have days without events? I don't. And when every day has a dot none of them may as well have.
post #22 of 66
Quote:

Apple has changed some icons over time.  They did it with iTunes, iMovie, so if they get enough feedback, etc., I'm sure they'll make some minor changes, but that's more superficial.  The fonts?  yeah, if they get enough complaints, they might change it or give the user different options.

Again, go to Apple's Feedback website and tell them how you feel, but be professional about it. They do read every email and if the suggestion is a good one, they might surprise you on the next release.  I'd say that 80% of the suggestions I submitted are being answered with iOS 7 and I'll have to find out how many more once they release the next batch of products.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil, you just got squeak to let them know.   I think the new management structure for iOS, I think they should have done it sooner, but hey, they have the right people involved and yeah, they needed a GUI refresh and hopefully we'll see this as something positive as we get used to it.   Sometimes I love what they do immediately and sometimes it takes a while because change takes some getting used to. But if there is something I don't like, I voice my opinion and they have a good track record at listening and doing something about it, and it obviously doesn't happen in a vacuum.

post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I think the dots in calendar are stupid. My personal opinion. Does anyone really have days without events? I don't. And when every day has a dot none of them may as well have.

Well, if you think for a nanosecond … it's pretty obvious that actually lots of people will have "days without dots" and that the dots will actually be useful for the majority of users.  

The number of people who have appointments every single F-ing day (busy business people and/or obsessives), is always going to be smaller than the group that doesn't.  

I guess you were just bragging about your dots? What a super cool busy guy you are etc.?

post #24 of 66

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 66

Settings > General > Accessibility > Turn off "Increase Contrast"   Thank GOD!

post #26 of 66
Quote:

I hope the chevrons go and the icons change.

Going with thicker fonts is crazy considering people round here (not me) said there was nothing wrong with the thin fonts that cut your eyes out.

Thank God the fixed those fonts.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #27 of 66
Quote:

The biggest thing that surprises me is that the lock screen which has been almost universally vilified by design nerds online, has remained exactly the same through three betas now. Everyone except Apple seems to agree that it has numerous, serious, overlapping problems and a few attempts I've seen at user testing of it shows that it's new behaviour simply isn't "discoverable" at all.

That's probably them being stubborn until the last moment, so it appears as if it was their idea to fix the disasterious lock screen. If they fixed it right away I guess they are worried they'll look bad.
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

They'll refine things one by one. Even after release: this is a SUPER high-speed job that began only 7-8 months ago. iOS 7 is so new, so quickly, that it is guaranteed to have growing pains.

I think I could have used iOS 7 for years and never even SEEN those lock screen arrows. They're certainly not the right solution. Maybe no solution is needed: the home screen and other apps have no indication of those gestures; why should the lock screen? Unless the lock screen is were you're supposed to LEARN that those gestures exist... a job which the arrows fail to achieve.

Those distraction chevrons are ridiculous.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

iOS 7 is at least another 4 months to wide release.

November? That sounds innacurate.
post #30 of 66
What about under the icons was it black before now white?
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I'm pleased to see that the event day dots are back on the month view. Didn't see the point in removing them in the first place, maybe it was just a bug.

I'm guessing it was a bug as calendar had a bug in first beta that zulu calendars won't work and in the second beta it got fixed but the new data was coming only by manual pulling not by the fetch intervals.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnorris View Post

I've personally found the last 2 betas to be very unstable. I have trouble seeing this being ready for the public in any short timeframe without major adjustments. It simply doesn't work a high percentage of the time.

Agree-  This is very beta software, and still quite unstable.  Multiple app and springboard crashes daily and this is just using Apple's own apps.  I really like some of the new features, but not for daily use.   I doubt they are shooting for a release date anytime soon.

post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudit View Post

I really like some of the new features, but not for daily use.

You know what a beta is, right?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's probably them being stubborn until the last moment, so it appears as if it was their idea to fix the disasterious lock screen. If they fixed it right away I guess they are worried they'll look bad.

That's not it. iOS 7 suffers more serious issues related to how new and modified APIs work right now. The Lock Screen itself is not a priority at this point since it won't affect how 3rd party apps work. The Lock Screen needs redesign and I believe it will be redesigned. Even the new changes they introduced in this 3rd beta is causing other visual and UI problems. We are many betas away from the GM.

post #35 of 66
Quote:

Well, if you think for a nanosecond … it's pretty obvious that actually lots of people will have "days without dots" and that the dots will actually be useful for the majority of users.  

The number of people who have appointments every single F-ing day (busy business people and/or obsessives), is always going to be smaller than the group that doesn't.  
I guess you were just bragging about your dots? What a super cool busy guy you are etc.?

Really? You think a single dot indicating you have one event scheduled somewhere in a day is helpful? You really don't have things happening every day? Kids sports, meetings, school events, birthday parties? Not at least one such thing per day? Sounds like you're bragging about your easy breezy life. For me a dot telling me a day has something -- something-- at some time is worthless clutter. Again, personal preference.
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You know what a beta is, right?

I assume you actually read my entire post....Yes- I'm very aware what a beta is. But if I need hand holding in the future, I now know who to ask.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudit View Post

I assume you actually read my entire post...

And with the knowledge professed in the rest of it, I'm confused why you'd bother with that redundancy, is all.

post #38 of 66
They fixed the damn maps loop crash. That and the .com button were the most irritating items to live with the last two betas. The maps crash was the worst, as once you got into the crash you often lost use of your maps app altogether for navigation. I was down to just a single iOS device that was still working.

Still using the Yellow on White background in notes though 1hmm.gif

Ugh...still a few bad design choices needing fixing.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #39 of 66
I think the confusion is mutual.....where's the fire Tallest Skil?
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Monday's release of iOS 7 beta 3 addresses that frustration experienced by some developers. As a replacement, users can hold down on the period button located to the right of the space bar, and the usual options of ".com," ".net," ".org," ".edu," and ".us" become available.

That's an excellent solution. Now if only they would move the dictation function to the cursor menu instead of a keyboard button I accidentally press 4-5 times a day when trying to access numbers/punctuation button. You can't even remove it from the keyboard without turning off Siri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With iOS 7 beta 3, individual days on the calendar will have a small gray dot underneath the date to indicate that one or more calendar entries are scheduled for that day.

Why grey? If you have 3-4 events scheduled on most days a grey dot below every date is as useful as no dots at all. Why not make the dot colour match the calendar colour so you can discriminate between "work" or "personal" events? They could also make dot size proportional to the amount of the day taken up by events so you can see at a glance which days are most busy without always having to drill down into the most detailed view.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Safari ditches '.com' button, dots return in Calendar