or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple I computer fetches $387K in Christie's auction

Apple I computer fetches $387K in Christie's auction

post #1 of 9
A rare Apple I computer from 1976 and signed by company co-founder Steve Wozniak brought in $387,750 in an online auction held by Christie's.

Apple I
Apple I on display at the Smithsonian. Photo via Wikipedia.

The final price for the historic machine was actually less than predicted, as a working Apple I brought in $671,400 in an auction in Germany earlier this year. Bidding on the most recent Christie's auction began at $300,000.

Still, the asking price for an Apple I has gone up considerably in recent years. For example, an Apple I in "superb" condition sold for $174,000 in a Christie's auction in London in 2010.

The system that went for nearly $400,000 is one of the first 25 Apple I computers ever assembled. It is inscribed with the serial number 01-0025 in black ink.

Only 200 Apple I computers were made, making the systems a rare collectors item. Between 30 and 50 units are believe to still exist.

When the Apple I was first released in 1976, the computer sold for $666.66. The systems were hand-built by Wozniak, who added his "Woz" signature to original documents included in the most recent auction.
post #2 of 9
That's it? It was supposed to be $600,000!

Apple is obviously doomed.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #3 of 9
Clearly, this is another disappointment for Timid Cook maybe if it had a larger screen let's all get our pitch forks and demand his resignation /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 9
$666.66, coincidence, I think not. I've already got my pitch fork out hahaha
post #5 of 9
$666.66 is an evil sign .
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

$666.66 is an evil sign .

Clearly, Steve Jobs was the Anti-Christ and Tim Cook is Steve's Satanic servant carrying out his evil plan.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 9

Man, these "rare" Apple Is seem to be popping up a lot lately...

post #8 of 9

I wonder if these cash rich investors know how to run an Apple 1 ?

Lets see, less than 1,000 Apple shares to buy it.

I'll put my money into a new Mac, it's at least guaranteed !

post #9 of 9

My heart bleeds for them!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple I computer fetches $387K in Christie's auction