or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest alleged 'iPhone Lite' plastic backs show different color shades
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Latest alleged 'iPhone Lite' plastic backs show different color shades - Page 2

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post


You do not want to get smaller than 3.5". I had a 3.2" Windows Mobile phone and the touch keyboard was unusable. We big phone fans are just looking for another half inch. I'm using 5 now and I have a lot of unintended key presses since it's been jammed into a phone with a too small bezel. 4.5 or 4.75 seems ideal and would be easily pocketable, but so much more readable and usable.

 

Indeed. I have the 4s and I cant really type on it in portrait mode. I must use landscape to type something.

post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Pretty sure these things are real by now.

...

 

I think they *could* be real, but there is no way to tell one way or the other based on the evidence presented.  

 

The thing is though, what you're saying here is essentially that one picture of a guy in a gorilla suit is a fake, but if there are two pictures … it's a sasquatch.  

post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

Last time I check pretty much all of the android phones are plastic. They sell a lot more of those than iphones. I dont think they can go lower if they keep the current iphone 5 internals. It would be better to be between $300 to $400, depends on internatls.

 

btw there are rumors those are actually the high end phone shells, you better pray they are not.

 

There's no evidence that "a lot" more Android phones (we're talking flagship phones here, not cheap junk) are sold than iPhones.  In the US the top 3 selling phones are all iPhones.  Sure, Android phones are more popular in Asia.  But they also sell at much lower margin in general.  Apple doesn't strike me as about to decide to go for the "high volume, low margin" approach.

 

And there are "rumors" that these are the high end phone shells?  Rumors from where?  I can make up a rumor too: There are rumors that Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio are heading over to my house for a threesome at this very moment!  See how easy that was?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

 

All the high end Galaxies are plastic.  The S4 is $649 off contract.  The Nokia 928 off contract is $449.  The HTC OneX was plastic and $549 off contract.

 

If people are buying the S4 off contract then the answer is yes.

 

But those are premium phones.  Of course they cost a lot.  You can buy the iPhone unlocked too.

 

The question is whether or not a non-premium, non-flagship plastic (and candy colored) iPhone with last year's (at best) internals would sell for $350-$400?  The answer, it seems to me, is no.

post #44 of 91
If you notice the background of the yellow case is a dramatically different hue than the others. I color correct this one adjusting the background to look like the others and voila, the case is the bright yellow we saw in earlier photos.
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

...

Who is being "held back" from buying iPhones?  See, this is what I don't get.  Apple sold nearly 50 MILLION of these things in the first quarter of fiscal 2013.  In fiscal 2012 they sold 125M iPhones alone.

 

That's only a small increase though.  What would be telling is whether the rate of growth is slowing or not growing fast enough.  

 

I've read enough reports to believe that there seems to be a wide consensus that sales are slowing down for high-end handsets and that the part of the market served by the iPhone is becoming saturated.  Therefore they need to move to other segments of the market to maintain sales, therefore a cheaper iPhone.  

 

Even aside from that though, Apple has said a few times about how they want to "revolutionise the industry," or indeed claimed to have already done so.  I don't believe either actually as Apple has done basically squat in this area so far, but if you take them at their word, this will never happen as long as they are cow-towing to the carriers.  A cheap, off-contract, but yet top of the line smartphone would break the carrier hold on the consumer to some degree. 

 

Finally, Tim Cook was heard to say at that secret retail meeting last week, that they want to be able to be the main point of sale/introduction for their own products which are for the moment primarily sold by the carriers.  He talked about how the carriers do a poor job of selling the iPhone, but yet the majority of sales and the majority of consumer interactions were captured by the carrier stores.  He wants for people to be able to come into an Apple store to buy their phone and he wants the majority of the sales to be that way.  This would enable them to give better service and to also increase the customers exposure to their other products.  

 

Selling a cheap off-contract phone direct from the Apple stores would go a long way towards that goal also. 

post #46 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Pretty sure these things are real by now.


...

I think they *could* be real, but there is no way to tell one way or the other based on the evidence presented.  

The thing is though, what you're saying here is essentially that one picture of a guy in a gorilla suit is a fake, but if there are two pictures … it's a sasquatch.  

I agree with your first sentence. I disagree with your second. I say "by now" because I've been slowly convinced over the past 2-3 months. The part leaks, comments by Tim Cook, and just plain good business sense of it (as explained in my previous posts in this thread) all combine to make a pretty convincing argument. To me, the evidence, as shaky as it may be, is overwhelmingly in favor of a low-cost iPhone being introduced this fall and these pictures as being actual parts from it.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #47 of 91
If apple is going to go the color route I would suspect they would match up exactly with the color sceme of the Ipod family.
post #48 of 91

I see covers on most the iphones I see so not sure why colors would be such a big deal. 

post #49 of 91

Played with a larger Samsung screen phone over the weekend.  Hated it but sure did like the bigger screen. I do beleive there is a big market that wants a bigger screen that Apple is missing out on now, espeically in Asia. 

post #50 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

That's only a small increase though.  What would be telling is whether the rate of growth is slowing or not growing fast enough.  

 

I've read enough reports to believe that there seems to be a wide consensus that sales are slowing down for high-end handsets and that the part of the market served by the iPhone is becoming saturated.  Therefore they need to move to other segments of the market to maintain sales, therefore a cheaper iPhone.

 

 

iPhone unit sales by fiscal year:

 

2010: 40B

 

2011: 72B

 

2012: 125B

 

2013: 85B (so far, through 2Qs)

 

I'm not seeing how that's slow growth, really.  Are they supposed to increase sales by 100% every year?  Profits are through the roof.  Sales are enormous.  The ecosystem is thriving.

 

What am I missing?

post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'm not seeing how that's slow growth, really.  Are they supposed to increase sales by 100% every year?  Profits are through the roof.  Sales are enormous.  The ecosystem is thriving.

What am I missing?

The fact that iPhone's percentage growth is lower than the total smartphone market, thus giving them a smaller overall share of the market every quarter. Nominally they have terrific growth, but relative to the growth of the market, it's lower and slowing down.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


The fact that iPhone's percentage growth is lower than the total smartphone market, thus giving them a smaller overall share of the market every quarter. Nominally they have terrific growth, but relative to the growth of the market, it's lower and slowing down.

 

Can you show me that this is true?  Or that it is true for at least semi-premium phones, at least?

 

I mean, a lot of things count as "smartphones" these days.  Something could sell for a 10% margin and be a piece of junk and be called a "smartphone."  Do you have numbers on this?

post #53 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

Last time I check pretty much all of the android phones are plastic. They sell a lot more of those than iphones. I dont think they can go lower if they keep the current iphone 5 internals. It would be better to be between $300 to $400, depends on internatls.

 

btw there are rumors those are actually the high end phone shells, you better pray they are not.

Android plastic phones sell more COMBINED, not one model.

post #54 of 91

Am I the only one that thinks this new photo looks exactly like the current iPod Touches?  Not "matches nicely with" or "resembles" or "generally in the ballpark" but "could as well be iPod Touches"?

 

Take current iPod Touch cases, put protective plastic film on them, photograph, that's what you'd get.

 

So is it such a stretch to imagine that that's, in fact, what the cheap iPhone will be?  We've been hearing about plastic cases, but that seems to be based on case shots that look glossy (which clearly involve protective plastic wrap) and some assumptions about what cheap means.

 

But Apple already sells a 32GB Touch with an A5 processor, Retina screen, mic and camera for $300, and that has an anodized aluminum case offered in what appears to be exactly the colors being leaked.  Given the vastly larger market for a cheap iPhone, is it really that hard to imagine them adding a cell radio and keeping the price?

 

I mean, doesn't that sound more likely than all this carrying on about plastic cases and weird colors? 

post #55 of 91

I'm still convinced these are fake. 

 

Could even be red herrings planted by Apple in their quest to double down on security.

 

Will a cheaper iPhone happen? Yes. Will it come this fall? Very likely.

 

Apple has done a great job of keeping their largest projects quiet so far this year, up until the unveil, so I honestly think this year will have more surprises then we're expecting. 

 

I'm standing by my prediction for an aluminum low cost iPhone this fall, and I think we'll see Steve's original vision behind the iPhone come to fruition as far as the selling of the device.

 

The new phone won't be bound by carriers. Instead you'll buy it from the Apple store completely unlocked you'll be able to sync your phone with iTunes, choose your carrier, and activate your phone from the comfort of home. This is what Steve wanted but it's taken 6 years for this dream to become a reality.

 

Apple and more importantly the USER will be put back in control of their iPhone, NOT the greedy selfish Android-loving carriers.

post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

It looks to me they still have the protective plastic film on them, that's why they have that cheap shiny look.

Yep. You can see a few bubbles under the protective film.

post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

Am I the only one that thinks this new photo looks exactly like the current iPod Touches?  Not "matches nicely with" or "resembles" or "generally in the ballpark" but "could as well be iPod Touches"?

 

Take current iPod Touch cases, put protective plastic film on them, photograph, that's what you'd get.

 

So is it such a stretch to imagine that that's, in fact, what the cheap iPhone will be?  We've been hearing about plastic cases, but that seems to be based on case shots that look glossy (which clearly involve protective plastic wrap) and some assumptions about what cheap means.

 

But Apple already sells a 32GB Touch with an A5 processor, Retina screen, mic and camera for $300, and that has an anodized aluminum case offered in what appears to be exactly the colors being leaked.  Given the vastly larger market for a cheap iPhone, is it really that hard to imagine them adding a cell radio and keeping the price?

 

I mean, doesn't that sound more likely than all this carrying on about plastic cases and weird colors? 

Excellent point. Not quite as straight forward as you spell out, but not that far of a stretch.

post #58 of 91
Whatever the white balance issues might be here, this latest batch of colours seem a bit more classy than the garish ones they've shown so far and much closer to the iPod touch shades. Although comparing one for one the iPod touch appears more 'expensive' but that's because anodised metal always looks of better quality than plastic. And yes, I think this model will replace the 4, the iPhone 5 the 4S with the 5S obviously becoming the flagship. Still wish they'd launch a '5X' above the 5S with a larger 5 inch screen, but that's not going to happen this year - maybe next year then with the iPhone 6.

As for signal1's theory above - plastic film on a metal casing, that would be nice but is unlikely. You can see by the photos that there is indeed a layer of film over the casings (there is visible bubbles) but metal can't transfer radio signals so there would need to be a transmission window like on the iPod touch, but there isn't. I wonder if it is at all possible that Apple might use neither metal nor plastic for the casing but ceramic instead? It can easily transfer radio like plastic without the need for a window, and they did file a patent a while back concerning the use of ceramic for smartphone cases. But unless they've developed some new manufacturing technique, I'd imagine it would be rather expensive to do it that way...anyway a couple more months and all will be revealed.
Edited by 1983 - 7/10/13 at 9:14am
post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Remember the device is just an entry point to there ecosystem.. Once someone get the Apple iOS feel be it in a cheaper device, they are going to be tempted to go for a more premium phone next year perhaps. I think the strategy just helps the ecosystem broaden.

Very good point. I remember, back in the day, coveting the G3 silver (Titanium-?) laptops but could only afford a G3 white plastic iBook. I came to really like the white color as opposed to the "pallbearer gray" and "funeral black" of all the other laptops. Nevertheless, the white ibooks did start looking dated and I now really like the MBA's.

 

I never did get a MBP or MP....but I sure bought into the ecosystem. First intel iMac, first intel MB, first ATV, first shuffle, mini, and first iteration of the iPhone, (3GS and now 4S) and an iPad2! :)

 

I think the white high end phone and the colors of the new phone will go quite well with the iO7 color scheme! :)

post #60 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Whatever the white balance issues might be here, this latest batch of colours seem a bit more classy than the garish ones they've shown so far and much closer to the iPod touch shades. Although comparing one for one the iPod touch appears more 'expensive' but that's because anodised metal always looks of better quality than plastic. And yes, I think this model will replace the 4, the iPhone 5 the 4S with the 5S obviously becoming the flagship. Still wish they'd launch a '5X' above the 5S with a larger 5 inch screen, but that's not going to happen this year - maybe next year then with the iPhone 6.

As for signal1's theory above - plastic film on a metal casing, that would be nice but is unlikely. You can see by the photos that there is indeed a layer of film over the casings (there is visible bubbles) but metal can't transfer radio signals so there would need to be a transmission window like on the iPod touch, but there isn't. I wonder if it is at all possible that Apple might use neither metal nor plastic for the casing but ceramic instead? It can easily transfer radio like plastic without the need for a window, and they did file a patent a while back concerning the use of ceramic for smartphone cases. But unless they've developed some new manufacturing technique, I'd imagine it would be rather expensive to do it that way...anyway a couple more months and all will be revealed.

 



Then again, these cases also don't have the normal "Designed by Apple etc" text, so it's not entirely clear what we're looking at.  Prototypes?  Mockups?  Fakes?  Re-purposed Touches?

 

At any rate, I think the existing Touch makes it clear that Apple need not turn to plastic to hit a price point.  Seems like a 16 GB Touch based iPhone could easily sell for $300 (in that that's what a 32 GB Touch goes for).

 

And as far as an antenna window goes, Apple has got a lot of experience now with their external antenna.  Perhaps they've worked out a way to incorporate such a thing into a Touch like enclosure.

post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

At any rate, I think the existing Touch makes it clear that Apple need not turn to plastic to hit a price point. 

+1

As others have said plastic wont save them much money anyway so I don't see what the point would be.

I could see an aluminum iPhone with rounded edges being very popular and profitable for Apple.

If the cheaper phone is aluminum I could see Apple simply branding this new phone as simply "iPhone" and the 5S and subsequent higher end models as "iPhone Pro".

Plastic simply doesn't fit in Apple's ethos and it doesn't fit with anything else they sell.
Edited by blackbook - 7/10/13 at 11:18am
post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

 

The question is whether or not a non-premium, non-flagship plastic (and candy colored) iPhone with last year's (at best) internals would sell for $350-$400?  The answer, it seems to me, is no.

 

Given that the 32GB and the 64GB candy colored iPod touch with last year's (at best) internals sells for $300 and $400 respectively do you seriously believe that people would not pay $400 for a 16GB (or even 8GB) "last years" iPhone 5 equivalent?

 

Are you people kidding me?  If you think the answer is no then HTF is Apple selling any iPod Touches?

 

For $350 it'd be a steal.  I'd expect $400-$450.

 

And every Apple product is a "premium" product.  Neither my 3G or 3GS felt cheap because they were plastic.

post #63 of 91

If they do colours, I hope they are good bold ones instead of these washed out colours on the iPods.

Bright orange please.

post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Given that the 32GB and the 64GB candy colored iPod touch with last year's (at best) internals sells for $300 and $400 respectively do you seriously believe that people would not pay $400 for a 16GB (or even 8GB) "last years" iPhone 5 equivalent?

Are you people kidding me?  If you think the answer is no then HTF is Apple selling any iPod Touches?

For $350 it'd be a steal.  I'd expect $400-$450.

And every Apple product is a "premium" product.  Neither my 3G or 3GS felt cheap because they were plastic.

People are taking issue with the price because of the plastic not because of the candy colors.

But as has been pointed out the Lumia is a $500 candy colored plastic phone that seems to be selling ok.

I think this will sell well even if it were plastic, but if its aluminum this phone could be game changing for Apple.

A colorful high end aluminum smartphone for $300-$400? It'll sell like gangbusters and get iOS in the hands of millions more people all over the world.
post #65 of 91
These look slightly duller than the previous photos leaked, but the shades look remarkably consistent. Still don't 100% know what to make of it. Just have to wait and see. I'm warming up to the idea of a less expensive iPhone model.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #66 of 91
Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

How do we know these aren't for iPods? I bet this was mentioned before but I can't remember.
you might be the first one to say that. Last year everybody wondered what the hole in the corner of iPhone was. Turns out it was for iPod Touch.
post #67 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

Am I the only one that thinks this new photo looks exactly like the current iPod Touches?  Not "matches nicely with" or "resembles" or "generally in the ballpark" but "could as well be iPod Touches"?

Take current iPod Touch cases, put protective plastic film on them, photograph, that's what you'd get.

So is it such a stretch to imagine that that's, in fact, what the cheap iPhone will be?  We've been hearing about plastic cases, but that seems to be based on case shots that look glossy (which clearly involve protective plastic wrap) and some assumptions about what cheap means.

But Apple already sells a 32GB Touch with an A5 processor, Retina screen, mic and camera for $300, and that has an anodized aluminum case offered in what appears to be exactly the colors being leaked.  Given the vastly larger market for a cheap iPhone, is it really that hard to imagine them adding a cell radio and keeping the price?

I mean, doesn't that sound more likely than all this carrying on about plastic cases and weird colors? 
A cell signal is hard to come by using aluminum.
post #68 of 91
I'm really starting to believe these are real. Also considering the color scheme of iOS 7 combined with a cheaper multi-colored iPhone, I believe it will bode VERY well with the younger generation....
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You think people will pay $400 for a colored plastic phone?

 

Sure.  And then, as usual, over 2/3 will also buy a case to cover it up.  

 

I just got my daughter an iPod 5G in that metallic green color.  She picked it out.  I thought it looked stunning.  Then she promptly got a yellow background Ugly Doll case to put over it.  Go figure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Who is being "held back" from buying iPhones?  See, this is what I don't get.  Apple sold nearly 50 MILLION of these things in the first quarter of fiscal 2013.  In fiscal 2012 they sold 125M iPhones alone.

 

Some people six years ago were saying similar things.   "Apple is selling over two million a quarter, why do they need more?"    Everything is relative.  What seems like a big number now, is nothing in the future.  

 

To answer your question, "who is being held back" ...  BILLIONS of potential customers, that's who.

 

Heck, there are over a billion cell customers in India alone.  Guess how many are buying an iPhone right now?   Much less than a million a year... and that's with trade-ins and loan programs boosting the old rate by a factor of four or more.

 

Most of China.   Most of southeast Asia.  South America.  Africa.  Even a few European countries in financial straits.   Most of these groups don't buy iPhones in any large quantity, because without subsidies, they cannot afford them and/or they find a better deal for the money.

 

Mind you, those are only potential customers.  The price has to be right.  To give us an idea of what that might be, here are how the current price ranges are selling :

 


Edited by KDarling - 7/10/13 at 11:28am
post #70 of 91

I don't believe this budget iPhone one bit. If this cheap iPhone is expected to be price at $399-$449 now, how can they price it next year when iPhone 5 is free with contract (or $399-$449), $299-$349? At $299, it will kill the iPod Touch market. What about with supplier subsidy, -$100 with contract? Then Apple will have 4 tiers of iPhone on market: iPhone 6 (assumed) next year, 5s (assumed) this year, 5 and cheap iPhone. Analyze that, people.

post #71 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I don't believe this budget iPhone one bit. If this cheap iPhone is expected to be price at $399-$449 now, how can they price it next year when iPhone 5 is free with contract (or $399-$449), $299-$349? At $299, it will kill the iPod Touch market. What about with supplier subsidy, -$100 with contract? Then Apple will have 4 tiers of iPhone on market: iPhone 6 (assumed) next year, 5s (assumed) this year, 5 and cheap iPhone. Analyze that, people.


At $299 it would largely replace the iPod Touch.  Given that the potential inexpensive iPhone market is vastly larger than the iPod Touch market, I doubt Apple would be too concerned about that.

 

I would expect a cheap iPhone to replace at least one generation of old iPhone, which after all is only available to cover the price point.  So whatever the latest phone is at $600 off contract, the last generation still available for $450 and the new cheap model for $300.  Pretty typical Apple price spread, in other words.

 

Carrier subsidies apply across the board and don't effect the underlying pricing tiers.  Free is free,  doesn't hurt to have more than one model available. 

post #72 of 91
preferred the brighter colors
post #73 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Some people six years ago were saying similar things.   "Apple is selling over two million a quarter, why do they need more?"    Everything is relative.  What seems like a big number now, is nothing in the future.  

 

To answer your question, "who is being held back" ...  BILLIONS of potential customers, that's who.

 

[snip]

 

I'm still not seeing the point here.  Most of those people aren't going to buy iPhones anyways.

 

The iPhone market, as it stands, is incredibly powerful, profitable, and moves a ton of units.  Apple shouldn't (in my opinion, of course) be in the business of chasing market share at low margin.  That's what this seems like.  It seems like a step backwards.  Plastic?  High volume?

 

Why not continue to do what you're good at, what you're making 100s of billions of years per year doing?

post #74 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'm still not seeing the point here.  Most of those people aren't going to buy iPhones anyways.

The iPhone market, as it stands, is incredibly powerful, profitable, and moves a ton of units.  Apple shouldn't (in my opinion, of course) be in the business of chasing market share at low margin.  That's what this seems like.  It seems like a step backwards.  Plastic?  High volume?

Why not continue to do what you're good at, what you're making 100s of billions of years per year doing?

Fully agree. While there may be a very large potential for anyone to grab the 'cheaper smartphone market' it doesn't look like this is something Apple 'needs to do'. They are indeed doing very well as it is, and I'm failing to see why they would go after the larger and cheaper phone market. But I'm not an analyst, so what do I know.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
post #75 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The iPhone market, as it stands, is incredibly powerful, profitable, and moves a ton of units.  Apple shouldn't (in my opinion, of course) be in the business of chasing market share at low margin.  That's what this seems like.  It seems like a step backwards.  Plastic?  High volume?

 

For the potential customers we're talking about, the case material is not the key factor.  The price is.

 

For Apple, the key factor is profit margin, as you point out.   However, they seem happy with percentages, not cash per se.

 

The iPad mini is a good example.  It has about the same gross profit margin percentage (~40%) as the regular iPad whose sales it cannibalizes, but a lower cash margin ($140 vs $190) per device.  It helps that the mini turned out to be quite popular.  (Anyone who already had a 7" tablet easily predicted that.)

 

In other words, Apple was willing to get more profit via quantity, while keeping the high margin percentages that investors and analysts love.

 

Likewise, a theoretical "cheap iPhone" that sold for say, $330 with a $165 BOM, would keep their 50% gross margin same as with the current iPhones, even though the per-device cash profit would be much lower.  Yet sales would skyrocket, and the price could be lowered even more over time.

 

Interesting debate.  We'll know soon enough!

post #76 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Fully agree. While there may be a very large potential for anyone to grab the 'cheaper smartphone market' it doesn't look like this is something Apple 'needs to do'. They are indeed doing very well as it is, and I'm failing to see why they would go after the larger and cheaper phone market. But I'm not an analyst, so what do I know.

 

Well, people have said for years that "Apple doesn't need to do" this or that, and yet they have.  So that argument, on its own with no other input, is invalid.

 

However, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think what you mean is that Apple doesn't do "cheap".  And I agree.

 

The key here is that people are confused about the definition of "cheap", mostly because they're used to thinking about high priced flagship phones.

 

I'd say that $150 is cheap.  OTOH, a $350 smartphone is not cheap at all.  In fact, these days it can be a pretty darned nice unit.   Certainly plenty enough device for hundreds of millions of potential buyers.  Heck, even the $250 devices are more than many people need, and often come with 4"+ screens.

post #77 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Very good point. I remember, back in the day, coveting the G3 silver (Titanium-?) laptops but could only afford a G3 white plastic iBook. I came to really like the white color as opposed to the "pallbearer gray" and "funeral black" of all the other laptops. Nevertheless, the white ibooks did start looking dated and I now really like the MBA's.

 

I never did get a MBP or MP....but I sure bought into the ecosystem. First intel iMac, first intel MB, first ATV, first shuffle, mini, and first iteration of the iPhone, (3GS and now 4S) and an iPad2! :)

 

I think the white high end phone and the colors of the new phone will go quite well with the iO7 color scheme! :)

This post needs to be linked to every time someone wonders why Apple should ever go cheaper. It's the ecosystem,stupid. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #78 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 (Anyone who already had a 7" tablet easily predicted that.)

Replying, but going totally off topic here: I put the Mini next to an Android 7". Wow, it's really a world of difference. One simply cannot compare the two sizes.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Replying, but going totally off topic here: I put the Mini next to an Android 7". Wow, it's really a world of difference. One simply cannot compare the two sizes.

 

Yep, but they're both in the same portability range, which is what I was after.

 

I just couldn't think of a single word that everyone would understand.  I mean, we have "phablet" for the 5" to 6" range, and "full size" for the 9" to 10" range... but no easy word for tablets in the 7" to 8" range except "mini" and I was trying to avoid a redundant phrase.  :)

 

Ah. I know.  I could've said "eBook sized".   Thanks!

post #80 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

 

I'm still not seeing the point here.  Most of those people aren't going to buy iPhones anyways.

 

The iPhone market, as it stands, is incredibly powerful, profitable, and moves a ton of units.  Apple shouldn't (in my opinion, of course) be in the business of chasing market share at low margin.  That's what this seems like.  It seems like a step backwards.  Plastic?  High volume?

 

Why not continue to do what you're good at, what you're making 100s of billions of years per year doing?

You seem to not want to understand. The top end if the market is stagnating, to further increase profits they need a mid range device. Since they do this everywhere else I can't even understand the counter arguments. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest alleged 'iPhone Lite' plastic backs show different color shades