or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung passes Apple's iPhone in smartphone Web usage - report

Samsung passes Apple's iPhone in smartphone Web usage - report

post #1 of 69
A new study has found that more people in the world are using Samsung-made smartphones to access the Internet than are using Apple's iPhone, marking the first time that has been the case.

appleinsider

StatCounter's latest Internet Wars Report (PDF) found that, in the month of June, Samsung devices accounted for 25.43 percent of smartphone Internet usage, compared to 25.09 for Apple's iPhone devices. Samsung has moved into the leadership position in smartphone web use over the course of the last year, which has seen the South Korean tech giant's share grow from 19.46 percent just 12 months ago.

Apple's share over the same period has shrunk from 25.43 percent. Earlier this year, Apple passed Nokia in terms of mobile web usage. In the United Kingdom and the United States, StatCounter found, Apple is still the clear leader in smartphone web usage.

A look back at StatCounter's trend line shows the two rivals' graphs gradually converging since about February of this year. That trend became more pronounced in over the past two months, likely due to the strong sales of Samsung's new Galaxy S4 flagship model.

Samsung is also helped along by its scattershot approach to producing devices. Whereas Apple so far releases only one model of iPhone per year, Samsung's models can number in the dozens, hitting an array of price points, form factors, and operating systems.

While Samsung gained, other manufacturers suffered. Apple saw its share decline slightly, but BlackBerry (N?e RIM) continues to struggle mightily and Nokia's nosedive appears only to have stalled, but not necessarily reversed. The month of June saw Nokia trending slightly upward, but whether the Finnish phone maker ? which once sat atop the mobile world ? can maintain that momentum is questionable.

StatCounter's report also looked at operating system market share, finding that Microsoft's Windows 7 is the top platform in the world, with about 52.62 percent of Internet usage. Windows 8 has is approaching six percent, conforming to prior measures of that system's progress.

Apple's OS X sits at 7.4 percent, according to StatCounter. StatCounter counts the iPad as a separate category of iOS, the report notes. Considering Apple's bestselling tablet in that fashion, the iPad reportedly accounts for about 4.2 percent of "non-mobile" Internet traffic.
post #2 of 69
Typical sales drop before the new model probably played a part in this, along with Samsung continuing to give away their devices.

The 5S, iOS 7, and potential low cost iPhone will see Apple put Samsung back in their place and crush the rest of the competition.
post #3 of 69
That rise is due to Android devices accessing NSA servers.
post #4 of 69
Who really cares....
post #5 of 69
Weird considering when these numbers compare Apple to Google Apple is far ahead. How is that possible if Samsung is Android.
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Weird considering when these numbers compare Apple to Google Apple is far ahead. How is that possible if Samsung is Android.

Could be because iPads aren't included? Are iPads included in the other reports?

Also Samsung has phones with their own OS, Windows, and Android.
post #7 of 69
Bogus.. Samsung bribed article!
As Alawys the low lives are at their game !
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Typical sales drop before the new model probably played a part in this, along with Samsung continuing to give away their devices.

The 5S, iOS 7, and potential low cost iPhone will see Apple put Samsung back in their place and crush the rest of the competition.

This is not a sales chart.  It's a chart detailing internet usage.

post #9 of 69
Somewhat surprised by Samsung's sudden rapid rise in this department.
post #10 of 69
Quote:

I think the difference is that these numbers are worldwide numbers, whereas what we've seen in the past was US only.

post #11 of 69
"Internet Wars Report" lol. Please.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 69
Hmmm.. So Nokia was well ahead of Apple and Samsung as recently as last December? How can that be -- haven't they been limping along in Windows Phone fail mode for a few years now? I wonder where this data is coming from.
Edited by DarelRex - 7/10/13 at 11:37am
post #13 of 69

Really? So if an ice cream stand sells 25.43 pounds of chocolate in four sizes and 25.09 pounds of vanilla in four sizes, this means more PEOPLE are eating chocolate?  Geez. Come on. This is extremely basic stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new study has found that more people in the world are using Samsung-made smartphones to access the Internet than are using Apple's iPhone, marking the first time that has been the case.

StatCounter's latest Internet Wars Report (PDF) found that, in the month of June, Samsung devices accounted for 25.43 percent of smartphone Internet usage, compared to 25.09 for Apple's iPhone devices.
post #14 of 69

IMPOSSIBLE

post #15 of 69
Which troll was it that dismissed Apple's recent 2-3% lead in a poll as "within the margin of error"? What will they make of a Samsung lead of 0.34%?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 69

The takeaway from this is that Samsung and Apple benefited from Nokia's loss in web usage market share. I wonder if Nokia switching to Windows Phone 8 had anything to do with this...

post #17 of 69
Um, how is it Nokia is at the top until the start of 2013? This cannot be just smartphones. It would be a very liberal definition of smartphone if it is.
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Which troll was it that dismissed Apple's recent 2-3% lead in a poll as "within the margin of error"? What will they make of a Samsung lead of 0.34%?

Do you really need to ask that question when you know what the answer will be?

post #19 of 69

Actually, it's due to two big factors:

Quote:

First, Cook relies on data provided every month by NetApplications, a Sunnyvale, Calif.--based outfit that counts the Web usage of both smartphones and tablets. StatCounter is counting only smartphones.

Second, NetApplications weighs its data according the Internat usage in each country surveyed.

StatCounter, by contrast, uses "no artificial weighting," as it proclaims proudly on its FAQ. In other words, data from a country with few Internet users (like Burma, where only 1.1% of the population is online) is treated the same as a country with heavy Internet usage (like Norway, where 95% of the population surfs the Web).

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/07/10/apple-samsung-internet-usage/

In other words, StatCounter's measurements are BS, especially because of point two.

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Somewhat surprised by Samsung's sudden rapid rise in this department.

It's those really big screens - you know those tens of millions of big screened phones that no one actually buys or uses that are sitting unsold in warehouses where they were shipped to, but not sold.

Samsung are so sneaky they probably have robots in those warehouses accessing the internet on all those unsold devices just to drive up the stats.

post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Um, how is it Nokia is at the top until the start of 2013? This cannot be just smartphones. It would be a very liberal definition of smartphone if it is.

This might shed some light:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2482816

post #22 of 69
This isn't even an apples to oranges comparison, it's a basket-of-apples to an orchard-of-oranges comparison.
Apple has released a total of only 6 different models of their phones since 2007.
Samsung releases dozens every year, and not all of them even run the same operating system.
post #23 of 69
I can't believe some people think this type of metric is useful. Lol!
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

How would a sales drop affect web usage?
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

It's those really big screens - you know those tens of millions of big screened phones that no one actually buys or uses that are sitting unsold in warehouses where they were shipped to, but not sold.

Samsung are so sneaky they probably have robots in those warehouses accessing the internet on all those unsold devices just to drive up the stats.

You mean the devices that they don't sell yet earn record profits on? Oh yeah I forgot about those
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Windows 8 has is approaching six percent

Only cause you stop people from buying Win7 and force them to Win8 you kind of get a higher number.

Just sayin...

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

post #27 of 69
This is only about iPhones not iOS devices web browsing. Since I got a 3G enabled iPad I spend most of my time web browsing on it than using my iPhone and its almost always with me as is my iPhone. So as others have said "figures never lie, but liars sure can figure". Depending who is paying for the report a data gathering can make the data say almost anything by picking the proper set of data points. If Samsung paid for the report and requested all mobile web browsing by device manufacturer and the report came back showing them severely trailing then they might ask for another report of just smartphones and if that failed then another report of all phones. When the data met their marketing goals they would pay for the report and publish the findings.
KennDDS
KennDDS
post #28 of 69
Quote:

These numbers estimates the relative percentage of web usage between platforms, it doesn't count "non-usage".

Per user/unit, web usage on iOS is still much higher than on Android. Because as we know, a large percentage of Android phones sold are crippled, running old OS versions and not really being used as smartphones.

post #29 of 69
Meh, has no effect on my desire for Apple products.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

How would a sales drop affect web usage?

Because this study shows the relative percentage of web usage between platforms.

If Apple iPhone sales flatlined because of the wait for the 5S, while Samsung is aggressively marketing its new S4 flagship model, Apple's web usage ratio will drop.

post #31 of 69
Being that I can afford more than one apple device and all my devices are in synch - iPad, iMac, and iPhone - I used my iPhone less for internet because of the smaller screen. While at work, I use my iMac and at home, I use my iPad. When I had only one device (iPhone) that's all I used for the web and left my Toshiba laptop in hibernation for 2 years.
Is it a big deal? I don't believe so,, they should consider all table and phone combined for actual numbers.
post #32 of 69

I call BS on this, as several other usage reports recently published (see reference links below) paint a MUCH different picture than this...

http://mobiletechglobal.com/mobile-statistics-january-2013/

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/apple/apple-tops-global-mobile-internet-usage-says-statcounter/

On some of the websites I host, those too reflect that a SIGNIFICANTLY larger percentage of visitors are using iOS devices versus Android.

And even with these "statistics", because of the way a lot of Android devices report themselves to the servers, these stats can be highly skewed.

post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

This is not a sales chart.  It's a chart detailing internet usage.

No it's not. It's a chart of web page hits. It has nothing to do with the amount of data that goes to & from a device. When that is taken into consideration then iOS pulls WAY ahead. iOS is way ahead in terms of ad impressions, online shopping - you know, the stats that actually mean something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I can't believe some people think this type of metric is useful. Lol!

It's only useful if you install their code on your own website to see which devices are visiting. In that regard, Google Analytics is better IMO. If you find a lot of people are visiting with an iPad (for example) then you may consider have an iPad optimized version of your site to address those users.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #34 of 69
Good. Good. Let Samesung be the underdog for a year or two. Let it be the company everyone loves and cherishes. The media darling!
But then, once the "journalists" start asking questions about monopoly, corporate governance, transparency... And it all falters under the veil of nepotism... Then we will talk. Please all here remember. Apple was never about the numbers. Or the overall renenue. Apple was about rebels and misfits. And "it just works". It still is about helvetica neue iltralight with or without shading...
post #35 of 69
Still seems strange that Apple/Samsung web usage is parallel considering there are two to three times more Samsung smartphones sold than iPhones. What are those people doing with their phones? Why would they pay so much for that functionality when they are essentially using them as dumbphones. Doesn't say much for Samsung users.
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

...or it might be all the cheap, crappy handsets Samsung are actually selling, taking over from the cheap, crappy Symbian handsets that Nokia sold in the past.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #37 of 69

Define Samsung smart phone. How many Samsung models compared to Apple's six iphone models since inception? What kind of crap phone are they passing off as a smartphone?

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #38 of 69
Quote:

First, Cook relies on data provided every month by NetApplications, a Sunnyvale, Calif.--based outfit that counts the Web usage of both smartphones and tablets. StatCounter is counting only smartphones.

Second, NetApplications weighs its data according the Internat usage in each country surveyed.

StatCounter, by contrast, uses "no artificial weighting," as it proclaims proudly on its FAQ. In other words, data from a country with few Internet users (like Burma, where only 1.1% of the population is online) is treated the same as a country with heavy Internet usage (like Norway, where 95% of the population surfs the Web).

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/07/10/apple-samsung-internet-usage/

post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbowood View Post

This isn't even an apples to oranges comparison, it's a basket-of-apples to an orchard-of-oranges comparison.
Apple has released a total of only 6 different models of their phones since 2007.
Samsung releases dozens every year, and not all of them even run the same operating system.

Care to bet?

post #40 of 69

All those trojans spamming the world? 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung passes Apple's iPhone in smartphone Web usage - report