or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings

Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings

post #1 of 78
In an interview on Thursday, Google chairman Eric Schmidt said his company's relationship with Apple has improved over the past year, noting that executives have been holding "lots and lots" of talks to discuss a number of issues.

Schmidt
Google's Eric Schmidt during a 2012 interview with AllThingsD.

Speaking with Reuters at this year's Sun Valley retreat in Idaho, Schmidt let loose that Google and Apple have been participating in meetings over the past year, suggesting the two companies are working to resolve their differences.

Apple and Google are in "constant business discussions on a long list of issues," Schmidt said.

While details regarding these issues are left to speculation, Schmidt did reveal that Google's chief business officer Nikesh Arora led many of the meetings.

Once reasonably close partners, Apple and Google have drifted apart after the Internet search giant introduced its Android operating system, which has subsequently taken over the global smartphone market. Schmidt said during an interview in October 2012 that the battle between Apple's iOS and Google's Android is the "defining fight of the industry today."

Schmidt himself was once on Apple's board of directors, but stepped down in 2009 after the launch of Google's Chrome OS.

For its part, Apple has tried to relinquish its reliance of Google data in almost every aspect of iOS. For example, the first five iterations of Apple's mobile OS featured a suite of apps built on Google assets, including Maps and YouTube. With iOS 6, the Google Maps-driven Maps app was replaced by a solution Apple created from the ground up. The native YouTube app was also nixed, as was data feeding Apple's Siri virtual assistant.
NIce
NIce

Google ultimately created standalone versions of the erstwhile native apps, and in the case of YouTube, launched the title before iOS 6 was even released.

The original YouTube app's deprecation from iOS was a blessing in disguise for Google, as it freed the company to show ads, something Apple did not allow with the old version. The streaming video site's vice president of sales recently reported that ad revenue had tripled in the past six months, suggesting the app's removal from iOS was a key factor in driving revenue.
post #2 of 78
Another click bait
post #3 of 78
Fool me once...
post #4 of 78
Judas also participated in lots and lots of meetings with Jesus in regards to their relationship...

(No, I don't actually believe in the bible!)

Eric: "Sorry! We really, really fucked up! I'm really sorry about everything that happened!"
Apple: "**** off'.

That, is defined as an Eric Schmidt meeting.
Edited by GTR - 7/11/13 at 7:15pm
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #5 of 78

You wish Schmuck!! Apple iAD is taking over the high-end advertising where all the money is. Apple is dumping all your default services and using Bing for Siri. And last but not least is iOS getting rid of using the UDID for your advertising "slurp all information from everyone" ways. Maybe you shouldn't have changed Android's user interface direction (keyboard to touch) after attending the confidential Apple board meetings. Schmidt is Apple's public enemy #1

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #6 of 78
There are some companies that think they can do everything. And Google is one of them. They should have listened to Steve Job's advice and "do just a few things great." They shouldn't turn their partners into competitors. It is a flawed business model.
post #7 of 78
Bad news if true. Whenever he isn't being an inept fool, Schmidt is a dishonest egomaniac.
post #8 of 78
If I were Apple, I'd offer new users, backup reinstalls, and software upgrades the option of selecting Bing as their default search provider. I'd put the Bing option above Google on the page

And Boom. Watch 30% of Google's mobile business in the US evaporate overnight

Apple should start by making this part of the iOS7 ilaunch install

F*** Schmidt

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #9 of 78
Sounds like something a loser says to make it sound like they're still in the game. They might be having plenty of talks, but Apple's made it clear they want anyone but Samsung making their parts and anyone but google providing content, except when said excellence makes them the only game in town.
post #10 of 78
The relationship could have been well all the time, if Schmidt did not SPY in Apple's board and steal. Dirty cheater.
post #11 of 78

He looks like a pumpkin.

post #12 of 78
No, he looks like a squirrel.
post #13 of 78
Good news, this means the customers win, now google and Microsoft need to get locked into a room.

I want to take Microsoft, facebook, google, and Apple lock them into a room together and don't let them out until facebook messenger, hangouts, skype, and imessage communicate with each other.
post #14 of 78
Everything has been said in this thread I would have said, except more politely.
Edited by digitalclips - 7/12/13 at 5:31am
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #15 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Another click bait

True. It's 20% "new info" and 80% padding (rehashing what we already know.)

That new info could be summed by who?, what?, when?, where? questions. Answers: Eric Schmidt, constant discussions on lots of issues, today, Sun Valley Idaho.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Bad news if true. Whenever he isn't being an inept fool, Schmidt is a dishonest egomaniac.

And has a nauseating face to boot!

post #17 of 78
Does anyone trust creepy Eric any more?
post #18 of 78

Talking to Google?

Well, Chamberlain and Daladier  have talked to Hitler during 1938. We all know what came out of it. One a thief, always one....

post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Does anyone trust creepy Eric any more?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 78
Nonsens.
post #21 of 78
Edit: Never mind.
post #22 of 78

What Schmidt left unsaid was how the Google negotiators have to enter the conference room groveling on their knees and clean the shoes of the Apple negotiators with their tongues before Apple will even acknowledge the Googles have entered the room... And before any Google negotiators can say anything they must ask, "Mother, may I...? 

In spite of anything Schmidt says, the war with Apple has got to have hurt them in ways they haven't acknowledged. And then Apple's promotion of "Bing" has got to scare them. Not all is as it seems in Googleville.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #23 of 78
Forget glass.
Said it before, gonna say it again - Larry Page dartboard and Schmidt punchbag.
Something for everyone
They'll sell millions 1biggrin.gif
post #24 of 78
It's probably because iOS 7 is going to use Bing for Siri, Google probably has to do some damage control to save one of Google's cash cows since they make a lot of money from IOS users.
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Judas also participated in lots and lots of meetings with Jesus in regards to their relationship...

(No, I don't actually believe in the bible!)

Eric: "Sorry! We really, really fucked up! I'm really sorry about everything that happened!"
Apple: "**** off'.

That, is defined as an Eric Schmidt meeting.

LOL.  That's a good one.

Eric Schmidt is not to be trusted again.  Google is not to be trusted again,

If Google wants to buy Macs and/or develop Apps meet with them at a neutral location.

Keep them off of Apple Campuses.  They may have hidden Google cameras to copy everything in site and pass it on to Samsung.

Keep Google applications away from your iOS devices and use Yahoo/Bing for searching.  It works better.

post #26 of 78
My girlfriend's iPhone 4S started using Yahoo for search from the search box last week. There's no explanation as to why... Could it be the carrier settings? (She's on Sprint.)

I'm a developer and can't figure out any other way that setting could have been changed... I'm 99% sure she didn't do it. She never using the Settings app and even has it buried in a folder.
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

If I were Apple, I'd offer new users, backup reinstalls, and software upgrades the option of selecting Bing as their default search provider. I'd put the Bing option above Google on the page

And Boom. Watch 30% of Google's mobile business in the US evaporate overnight

Apple should start by making this part of the iOS7 ilaunch install

F*** Schmidt
What makes you think that the apple used want just switch to Google?ad an apple user, I like Google services.
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

LOL.  That's a good one.
Eric Schmidt is not to be trusted again.  Google is not to be trusted again,
If Google wants to buy Macs and/or develop Apps meet with them at a neutral location.
Keep them off of Apple Campuses.  They may have hidden Google cameras to copy everything in site and pass it on to Samsung.

Keep Google applications away from your iOS devices and use Yahoo/Bing for searching.  It works better.
Most of you guys on this site have lose sense of reality. There is no way bing and yahoo's services are better than Google. Don't let your hatred blind you.
post #29 of 78

I must ask you all why is that Google is the one who is in many of your fantasies begging apple. What does Google have to beg apple for. I think what both of these companies should do is work together to get Google hangouts and iMessage to cooperate with one another. In reality an exclusive messaging protocol does not help anyone in the long run. With iMessage it serves to piss people off when they eventually switch to another platform. 

post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Hey, look.

Google Ass.

Edited by GTR - 7/12/13 at 2:36am

post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I must ask you all why is that Google is the one who is in many of your fantasies begging apple. What does Google have to beg apple for. I think what both of these companies should do is work together to get Google hangouts and iMessage to cooperate with one another. In reality an exclusive messaging protocol does not help anyone in the long run. With iMessage it serves to piss people off when they eventually switch to another platform. 

Apple's excellence in hardware, software, and focus on ease-of-use and simplicity, combined with Google's excellent online services would, in one reality, be an unbeatable combo. One that would scare the sh!t out of Microsoft.

Unfortunately, Google has proven themselves untrustworthy, not only as a business partner, but to their own customers, not just once or twice, but numerous times. Again and again and again.

That, my friend, is why you see such intense dislike of them, and why you also see such hatred for similar companies such as Samsung.

post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

Most of you guys on this site have lose sense of reality. There is no way bing and yahoo's services are better than Google. Don't let your hatred blind you.

Have you honestly tried it ?

The results are essentially the same but bing has nicer presentation.

Apple does not need to partner with Google.  Just let them develop their spying iOS apps for people who want them and that's it.

Yahoo is much more complementary to Apple.

Considering the importance of iCloud to Apple's future, they should seriously consider buying Yahoo to integrate into iCloud.  

Mail and Flicker are the only 2 overlaps. Apple could enhance Yahoo's products and really provide more services for iOS and OS 10.

Google and Samsung will always be looking to copy from and compete with Apple.

Remember that Google bought intellectual property to give to Samsung and HTC so they can sue Apple.

Only deal with them when you have no other choice and right now Apple has choices.

Edited by AppleSauce007 - 7/12/13 at 3:02am
post #33 of 78
If Cook had said this, it would have been news.

Now it's just the squeaking of a rat.
post #34 of 78
I am fairly confident the hatred between Apple and Google is no where near as intense as most of you imagine. I recall the shock years ago when Apple and Microsoft announced their plans to work together on IE and Office for Mac. I doubt the leaders of these successful companies got where they are today by being petty and immature.

That said, Scmidt didn't say what they're talking about. It could be as simple as discussing the apps they do have for iOS. Google has stated the importance of iOS for them.

In the tech industry, you sometimes have to work with people you would rather not. Apple can decrease reliance on Google but it can't ignore them entirely

And there is always that old saying to consider:

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I am fairly confident the hatred between Apple and Google is no where near as intense as most of you imagine. I recall the shock years ago when Apple and Microsoft announced their plans to work together on IE and Office for Mac. I doubt the leaders of these successful companies got where they are today by being petty and immature.

That said, Scmidt didn't say what they're talking about. It could be as simple as discussing the apps they do have for iOS. Google has stated the importance of iOS for them.

In the tech industry, you sometimes have to work with people you would rather not. Apple can decrease reliance on Google but it can't ignore them entirely

And there is always that old saying to consider:

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
How does that saying work in the Internet age?
post #36 of 78
Look guys Android is already beginning to struggle in the mobile war. While Apple's pushing iOS 7 to greater heights, Google's basically patching up issues in there eco system, which is flooded with malware. Would be interesting to see what Google comes up with there so called fix to fragmentation.

Google's been doing some PR lately to get ppl to like them lately, with movies like "The Internship". Just wait until Apple comes up with a lower cost iPhone and take mobile revenues back from Android.
post #37 of 78
Quote:

I must ask you all why is that Google is the one who is in many of your fantasies begging apple.

isn't it obvious? Google thrives by having access to every computer user on the planet's personal information. Apple has a very large fraction of mobile users - and Google needs to gain access to them in order to fulfill their business plan. Apple has the ability to block that objective.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

And has a nauseating face to boot!

But why would you want to?

post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Look guys Android is already beginning to struggle in the mobile war. While Apple's pushing iOS 7 to greater heights, Google's basically patching up issues in there eco system, which is flooded with malware. Would be interesting to see what Google comes up with there so called fix to fragmentation.

Google's been doing some PR lately to get ppl to like them lately, with movies like "The Internship". Just wait until Apple comes up with a lower cost iPhone and take mobile revenues back from Android.

Source for the statement that Android is losing?

Some of you folks are silly. Using yahoo instead of Google, as if yahoo doesn't use your info the same ways as Google...and Apple for that matter. Do you seriously think you make a difference? Grow up.

I'm an Apple freak as much as anyone, but Apple isn't perfect. Neither are its competitors.

Some folks in this site have lost touch with reality. Read an alternate site for some perspective. Neither Android or iOS are going away and that is a great thing. Competition is good for the consumer.

Sheesh.
post #40 of 78
Quote:

I must ask you all why is that Google is the one who is in many of your fantasies begging apple.

I'll assume you are being serious here ... Have you any idea how little $ Google make from Android users and how much from Apple users? Then imagine Apple, as they will, throttling off the Apple users $ stream going Google's way. Now you can see why this creep is in deep doo doo?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings