or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings

Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrit View Post

My girlfriend's iPhone 4S started using Yahoo for search from the search box last week. There's no explanation as to why... Could it be the carrier settings? (She's on Sprint.)

I'm a developer and can't figure out any other way that setting could have been changed... I'm 99% sure she didn't do it. She never using the Settings app and even has it buried in a folder.

This happened to me. Found the problem. Was my fault. You should read those pesky little dialogs that pop up asking permission to use your location. That's not always what they ask. Sometimes they ask if you would like to switch search providers. You get so used to them that you just touch "Ok".
post #42 of 78

I agree competition pushes the platform together. But Fair competition , not rip off copy and using all the dirty tricks u can in retail to push ur product.

Im talking about Samsung spending all that marketing revenues on paying of there shills so they can talk bad about apple.

Unethical competition like that is what gets me to dislike certain companies. Google's great with tech and i love them for there other projects but not Android.

post #43 of 78

I hate Eric. He, together with the "old" microsoft and a few OEMs represent everything that is wrong within the tech world. Google does some great things.

post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

How does that saying work in the Internet age?

I don't know. I was just trying to play the room. 1smile.gif

Seriously though, they can't cut ties and act like people here wish they would. It is impossible. One big reason is there are still a fairly large number of iOS devices running iOS 5 that still use Google for mapping. Apple is probably still paying Google a reduced fee to keep the services for those legacy devices up and running. So conversations and relationships must continue. It's business, not high school.
post #45 of 78
I can't stand Schmidt but with Steve and Scott gone I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of a thaw. My guess is the whole thermonuclear war against Android was supported most by the two of them.
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'll assume you are being serious here ... Have you any idea how little $ Google make from Android users and how much from Apple users? Then imagine Apple, as they will, throttling off the Apple users $ stream going Google's way. Now you can see why this creep is in deep doo doo?

For the moment it's not really all that significant. Estimates using data from the Oracle/Google trial put total Google mobile revenue from iOS users at a paltry $2B or so. . . over a four year span. Revenue from Android users over that same four years was even worse at only $550 million over those same four years. Figures published more recently guess that total mobile ad revenues might hit $8B this year, with Google getting half of that or a bit more.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I don't know. I was just trying to play the room. 1smile.gif

Seriously though, they can't cut ties and act like people here wish they would. It is impossible. One big reason is there are still a fairly large number of iOS devices running iOS 5 that still use Google for mapping. Apple is probably still paying Google a reduced fee to keep the services for those legacy devices up and running. So conversations and relationships must continue. It's business, not high school.

Exactly, well said. People are so polarized, it's silly. I have Apple hardware and Google services. It's a beautiful world.
post #48 of 78

My point -  give users the option.  A significant % will pick Bing.  A majority will still pick Google  

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #49 of 78
Eric arrives at Apple..

ES: Let's let bygones be bygones

ES: So what's new?

ES: Oooh what's underneath that!

ES: Let's take a look around!

ES: I'll be glad to help you guys out and become a board member again..

ES: Like old times...as a favor to Steve of course, god bless his soul..

Eric is still with his foot caught on the door feels Tim pushing it harder

ES: Oooh that hurts, what do you say Tim my man. Let me in.

ES: Ok, I'll come back later..
post #50 of 78

[Android] "which has subsequently taken over the global smartphone market."

OH yeah?  Prove it.

Seriously, prove Android has any kind of significant share.  You can't, because Android makers dont' release sales numbers like Apple does.  Google certianly does it.

Even if you believe this claim is true, there's no relevance for putting it in the article.

If android were successful, the makers of android phones would be very proud of their sales numbers... they wouldn't treat them like state secrets.

post #51 of 78

Of course, he's kind of a sociopath. So take his words with a grain of salt.

post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Well it's nice to see we are not taking things personally and are keeping this discussion grounded .  1rolleyes.gif

Edited by rednival - 7/12/13 at 9:44am
post #53 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

edit

AND JUST WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, GOOGLE LOVER?! 

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself 1biggrin.gif)

post #54 of 78
Quote:

But an extremely wealthy sociopath if he is one.
http://www.forbes.com/profile/eric-schmidt/
post #55 of 78
Quote:

Quote:

Well it's nice to see we are not taking things personally and are keeping this discussion grounded .  1rolleyes.gif

I don't see where I've taken anything personally. Though you seem to have don so. I've made a comment about a man who has a very long and well-documented history of saying things that step over the creepy line, without seeming to understand the extent to which others don't share his view of things. Such people are sometimes extremely skilled at achieving success, but sometimes their interpretation of events isn't shared by other parties. That's the point I'm making. I guess I have to be more expository for some people. Another example might be if Samsung execs say "We've been having many more meetings, and relationships are improved." A reader wouldn't have to have taken the recent Apple-Samsung history personally to wonder if maybe the "improved relations" were more a one-sided PR than a mutual view of things.

post #56 of 78
Google remains a company dominated by adolescent thinking, where strategic planning is all but absent, as evidenced by Google TV, the Android mess, and other initiatives.
post #57 of 78
So that's MORE "collusion" right?
post #58 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

Google remains a company dominated by adolescent thinking, where strategic planning is all but absent, as evidenced by Google TV, the Android mess, and other initiatives.

Other companies only wish they were so successful without strategic planning.

post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

So that's MORE "collusion" right?

Maybe. That's how frenemies roll. Sometimes they collide. Sometimes they collude.

post #60 of 78
Quote:

I don't see where I've taken anything personally. Though you seem to have don so. 

Honestly I could care less, I just thought the comment was odd, out of place, and added little to the discussion.  And sorry, it still have a hard time seeing it as not being personal.  I dislike Steve Ballmer immensely but have never accused him of being mentally unstable.  Incompetent, sure, but not unstable. 1wink.gif

Quote:
I've made a comment about a man who has a very long and well-documented history of saying things that step over the creepy line, without seeming to understand the extent to which others don't share his view of things. Such people are sometimes extremely skilled at achieving success, but sometimes their interpretation of events isn't shared by other parties. That's the point I'm making. I guess I have to be more expository for some people. 

At least I know where you were coming from now.  There are many characteristics of a sociopath.  Your comment just seemed like a random insult, but I suppose you have put more thought into the comment than I thought.  Bravo.  I am not a psychiatrist and I could care less if you think he is a sociopath, but I least I now know how to argue your point.

Apple has to maintain a relationship with Google.  They have iOS devices still running Google Maps.  Only iOS 6 ditches Google Maps and Apple still needs Google to keep maps running on old devices.  Not to mention Google has plenty of apps on the App Store.  So it isn't entirely unreasonable to assume Apple and Google are communicating regularly with regards to old and new applications.  

So I highly doubt this is all in poor Eric's mind.  But what do I know?

post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

With iMessage it serves to piss people off when they eventually switch to another platform. 

Don't be silly, Nobody does that.

Edited by Macky the Macky - 7/12/13 at 12:04pm
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #62 of 78
Oops!
post #63 of 78
Quote:

I dislike Steve Ballmer immensely but have never accused him of being mentally unstable.  Incompetent, sure, but not unstable. 1wink.gif

Are you kidding? I've seen Uncle Fester dance on stage. He's unstable.

post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Hey, look.

A Glasshole !

tftfy
Edited by RobM - 7/12/13 at 1:36pm
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Don't be silly, Nobody does that.

People do it all the time. I work for a carrier and I see people going from iPhones to the top android phone all the time. Most of the time they cite they are tired of apples BS, want a larger screen, or want to try something new.
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

People do it all the time. I work for a carrier and I see people going from iPhones to the top android phone all the time. Most of the time they cite they are tired of apples BS, want a larger screen, or want to try something new.

If it smells like BS, it probably is.
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Good news, this means the customers win, now google and Microsoft need to get locked into a room.

I want to take Microsoft, facebook, google, and Apple lock them into a room together and don't let them out until facebook messenger, hangouts, skype, and imessage communicate with each other.

Yes please. Nothing aggravates me more that in 2013 we're subject to the same instant messenger fragmentation that AOL Messenger pioneered last decade. iMessage not being released for Android/PC drives me crazy. Ubiquity should be the killer feature of a chat program, and they keep it locked into Apple's hardware. 

post #68 of 78

"Lots and lots of meetings"?

Bullshit. 

Google's integration with iOS is now relegated to downloadable apps. Siri doesn't use Google for search. Apple is moving away from integration with Google products in all areas. So why the hell would they be meeting so much? It's not to Apple's benefit to partner up with Google in any way whatsoever. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Schmidt, as always, is full of shit and is saying this publically because it serves an agenda, just like all the other lies/half-truths he's been caught telling.

post #69 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

... It's not to Apple's benefit to partner up with Google in any way whatsoever. ...

They do get to play Google against Microsoft for primary search engine spot.

Or perhaps not, if they've decided to drop Google services forever.

post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post

Yes please. Nothing aggravates me more that in 2013 we're subject to the same instant messenger fragmentation that AOL Messenger pioneered last decade. iMessage not being released for Android/PC drives me crazy. Ubiquity should be the killer feature of a chat program, and they keep it locked into Apple's hardware. 

Then use AIM.
post #71 of 78
The only this relationship will work, is if Apple buys google, separates Android from the mix and cleans google up. Then there will be nobody to tough Apple.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley View Post

The only this relationship will work, is if Apple buys google, separates Android from the mix and cleans google up. Then there will be nobody to tough Apple.

Apple can't afford to buy Google.  As much cash as they have, Google's market cap is simply too high (and the premiums shareholders would demand would push it much higher).  

post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Apple can't afford to buy Google.  

Yet.
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yet.

Is this a productive point of discussion? When is it ever be a good idea for one gigantic company to buy out another? You're likely to end up with one that is worse than the two that preceded the deal. You can probably guess which oem I have in mind as a past case study of this.

post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Is this a productive point of discussion?

Yes. 1wink.gif
Quote:
When is it ever be a good idea for one gigantic company to buy out another?

When it's Apple, who actually has principles and operates by them.
Quote:
You can probably guess which oem I have in mind as a past case study of this.

Hmm... HP and Palm? Acer and Gateway (Gateway and eMachines? eMachines and Packard Bell?)?
post #76 of 78
Nah - no way Aple would ever consider buying Google.
Their whole market cap is built on puffery, there is no substance to their business other than ads.
A house of cards .... one puff from the wrong direction - it'll fall over.

As always, imnsho
post #77 of 78
This sounds like apple saying shut up about maps battle, most still have youtube, and the rest is trouble, I really think Siri going to rejegt google is stupid and against sense, Is this still a free country where you get choice of what rather than stuck with bing, that is googles heart and sole there.

Hopefully this is maybe youtube app back on, and google still has chance in market.
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. 1wink.gif
When it's Apple, who actually has principles and operates by them.

Trying to merge big companies doesn't really make either of them better. Palm was a great example of that, even though I was thinking of Compaq. Look at Apple's list of acquisitions. Have they every bought out a company of several thousand employees? I suspect there's a reason they don't buy out large companies.

Quote:

Hmm... HP and Palm? Acer and Gateway (Gateway and eMachines? eMachines and Packard Bell?)?

I was thinking of HP and Compaq.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings