or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security - Page 4

post #121 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekCurrie View Post

 

No. Apple Insider is not a one-man operation run by Daniel Eran Dilger. Dan is a Contributing Editor. Here is the AI's masthead:

 

http://appleinsider.com/contact/

 

Dan's one-man operation is RoughlyDrafted Magazine:

 

http://www.roughlydrafted.com

 

 

Oh, I'm well aware of Roughly Drafted. I basically slept through the 90s, tech-wise, so his encyclopedic articles on the history of Mac vs. Windows have been very helpful to me. Hopefully after the demise of Android he can write a similar definitive history. I only wish he would collect all the history in one spot....

post #122 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekCurrie View Post

July 4th:
New Android Vulnerability Affects 99% of Devices
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/whats-in-the-news/2013/07/new-android-vulnerability-affects-99-of-devices/

Sounds pretty serious.  I wonder how many Android users got their phones taken over by organized crime.  100 million? 50 million?  1?

post #123 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I have always just taken it as a given that this entire site was a one-man operation by DED. All the articles are bylined by obviously made-up names...It never occurred to me to think that they weren't all written by DED himself. I don't intend this as any kind of criticism—I admire his energy and dedication.

 

As for his "bias": unfortunately, reality has an anti-Android bias. Maybe the fandroids should (here's a thought) hang out at an Android-oriented site (assuming they exist) instead of an Apple-oriented one. That way their pwecious widdle fee-fees won't get hurt quite so much.

 

Dan is actually pretty new here, and other than "Kasper's Automated Slave" the other names aren't made up as far as I know.  This site has been around longer than most and is still the best IMO. 

post #124 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Pro-Apple? You? That's a laugh considering just about every post I've read from you has very LITTLE in the way of positivity towards Apple. Take your trolling elsewhere. Please.

 

See? Where do you go from that? You drag out the "troll" label and that's it.

 

You want positivity?

 

I think the iMac is possibly the best value in personal computing ever. It's not the least expensive by a long shot, but it offers a typical user a more constructive experience than anything else at a similar price point (and especially anything below it) and is comparatively hassle-free.

 

I wept with joy the day the new Mac Pro was announced. I sat with a group of co-workers gathered around the computer screen drooling and smiling. When one asked "I wonder how much it costs?" the rest of us replied in unison, "Who cares?!" I think the new design, while less ideal for my particular setup, is so ingenious it deserves special recognition.

 

I would rather give up a toe than my Apple TV. There are obviously many, many changes/additions required for it to be a mainstream product, but I enjoy it even the way it is now, and see huge things eventually coming out of it.

 

I love the security I get with my iPhone. I love the things it lets me do. I wish I could get one with a bigger screen.

 

Maybe it seems like I'm anti-Apple because it drives me up the freakin' wall when some evangelist pops up and announces "It's Apple so it just works!" which is obviously complete bullshit. Some things do, but nothing is perfect and Apple has issues like anybody else. Saying so doesn't mean I hate Apple or that I'm pro-something-else.

 

Or maybe it's because I get frustrated by Apple's "give here but take away here" approach to new products. Better CPU but no more discrete GPU. Add Thunderbolt but drop the bigger screen. Stuff like that.

 

My parents raised me to "question everything" so I'll often play Devil's Advocate and/or temper claims of incredibleness with reality checks. It might make me less fun than the cheerleaders, but it does not make me anti-Apple.

post #125 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post


I agree with that... The article contains some really good information, but I cannot read through all of the rants. These editorials could be really good, but the way the content is delivered is terrible. Please stop with the bad analogies while you are at it.

 

I like reading the facts.  I hate the bloody spin.  

post #126 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The basis of this article is correct:  Jobs was not categorically opposed to native apps.  He just wanted absolute control over them, and so sometimes made them out to be a big threat.  As he put it in an interview right after showing off the iPhone:

...

 

Re: OS bugs. Apparently few remember that the very FIRST iPhone software update came about because a researcher threatened to release code that would let anyone take over an iPhone, if Apple didn't put out a fix by a certain date.  Apple complied.

 

Nothing personal, but I don't see the point here.  You essentially agree with the article but simply rephrase things in a more negative way.  All the facts are the same, but the way you tell it Jobs is an angry tyrant as opposed to Daniel making it sound like he was a prescient leader.  When it comes to the vulnerability that was fixed in the first iPhone OS, you make it sound like Apple was weak and succumbed to "threats" from the bug finder, whereas most people just see this as Apple being quick to fix bugs.  I don't get why you always seem to make everything sound negative even when you agree on the facts.  

 

In the case of the bug, I remember that situation reasonably well and it seems to me that the security researcher was the one that ended up looking like a goon.  The standard procedure is to report the bug to the company and if they don't fix it within a certain reasonable time frame, then you *may* publish the vulnerability.  If you do actually publish it though, you're the one that's the a-hole because you're obviously just seeking recognition more than you actually want the bug to be fixed.

 

No serious researcher threatens a company like that, and to suggest as you have that it was the threat that actually did the trick is just crazy IMO.  I mean are you really suggesting that if the bug finder hadn't rattled his sabre that Apple would have just put it on the back burner or not fixed it at all?  

post #127 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthW View Post

v5v your posts are completely emotional and full of personal attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthW View Post

You sound like a girl who just got told she was fat.

 

Compare those two and tell me it's not the height of irony! 1smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthW View Post

Stop coming here and telling people they're pathetic and to be ashamed of themselves.

 

Not "people," person, specifically Corrections, otherwise known as Daniel Dilger. Do you not think it is disgraceful to write an article then pretend to be someone else to insult and deride those who disagree with or criticize it? How would you feel if a TV or newspaper reporter did that? You'd be outraged, and rightly so because it's deplorable behavior and utterly unethical.

post #128 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

You can cheerlead for Android all you want

 

I will take the entire body of your post and careful advisement. Seriously. I'll think about ways I contribute to the noise and how I can improve my role in discussions.

 

All I ask is that you (and your posse -- c'mon, I don't even know any of these people) please, please PLEASE stop assuming that anyone who ever says anything disparaging about iOS is somehow pro-Android. I sometimes get really mad at my wife and vehemently disagree with something she says/does/believes, but that doesn't mean I would rather be married to someone else. Likewise I might sometimes rage at Apple but that doesn't mean I like Android.

post #129 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Sounds pretty serious.  I wonder how many Android users got their phones taken over by organized crime.  100 million? 50 million?  1?

 

Well several 100k's of people downloaded Samsung's JayZ spyware app that reads your call history, your apps in use, you location, and so on. That didn't take advantage of the key signing flaw because it was an official Samsung app leveraging Google's official spyware system. 

 

When you get free songs on iTunes, there's no spyware installed.

 

Back in the day, installing a Windows root kit gave the Sonys of the world a bad rep. Today, it's at the core of Android and the open source community is wallowing in it like pigs in slop. They love it because they think they can manage it, just like Windows users in 1998 doing a daily malware cleanup cycle. 

 

"Just don't install apps that ask for unnecessary, inappropriate privileges!" But if you do that, you can't even use Facebook. Or any other basic app. 

 

This is just one of many huge problems that have prevented Android from coming anywhere close to the utility of Apple's App Store, despite being just a few months slower to launch. In five years Android hasn't caught up in any fashion with iOS apart from being on a lot of phones in China. Tons of free phones on US carriers, but nobody is using it as an app platform. It's just a way of delivering feature phones that are more susceptible to spyware and malware than Java ME was.

 

So if you want to cheerlead for Android, you need to work a little harder at it than just saying that you don't personally know anyone who has been exploited. Because most people with malware laden PCs in 1998 didn't know it either. 

post #130 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I criticized your article. It's not a good sign that you perceive that as a "personal attack."

 

It's not criticism of an article to write about "DED bullshit evangelism" in the first post you slapped up. You made broad attacks disparaging things in general terms. It's "see what sticks" contempt trolling. 

 

If you think some fact is in error, or misstated or exaggerated or whatever, you can point it out and your point will be stronger than if you simply try to run down the author, the site, and everyone else on the message board in generalized, contemptuous language. 

post #131 of 180

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekCurrie View Post
July 4th:
New Android Vulnerability Affects 99% of Devices
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/whats-in-the-news/2013/07/new-android-vulnerability-affects-99-of-devices/

 

Sounds pretty serious.  I wonder how many Android users got their phones taken over by organized crime.  100 million? 50 million?  1?


Well several 100k's of people downloaded Samsung's JayZ spyware app that reads your call history, your apps in use, you location, and so on. That didn't take advantage of the key signing flaw because it was an official Samsung app leveraging Google's official spyware system. 

 

JayZ isn't mentioned in the article Derek linked to. 

 

So you're also unable to find anyone who's actually been affected by the potential security risk described there?

 

Quote:
So if you want to cheerlead for Android...

You would be well advised to avoid the ad hominems.  I've seen people get banned here for less.


Edited by MacRulez - 7/14/13 at 11:44pm
post #132 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I have always just taken it as a given that this entire site was a one-man operation by DED. All the articles are bylined by obviously made-up names...It never occurred to me to think that they weren't all written by DED himself. I don't intend this as any kind of criticism—I admire his energy and dedication.

As for his "bias": unfortunately, reality has an anti-Android bias. Maybe the fandroids should (here's a thought) hang out at an Android-oriented site (assuming they exist) instead of an Apple-oriented one. That way their pwecious widdle fee-fees won't get hurt quite so much.

Dan is actually pretty new here, and other than "Kasper's Automated Slave" the other names aren't made up as far as I know.  This site has been around longer than most and is still the best IMO. 

Actually, DED has been posting articles to AI for years using at least one alter ego... here's one from 2005 by "Prince MxLean":

http://appleinsider.com/articles/05/12/19/apple_shipping_100k_nanos_a_day_mulls_1gb_model


At least Bill O'Reilly has the professionalism to stand behind what he says -- and the balls to publish under his own name!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #133 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

Everything you said applies to yourself, just replace the "Apple" with Android.

 

The reason they say you and your posse are trolls because you show up and start spraying negative tangents to distract from the discussion and then demand to be presented with a report brimming with citations to support ideas that aren't really even controversial and then make disparaging comments about the article, the author, the website and then turn around begin calling yourself a victim of persecution when people say they're sick of your negative troll ranting. 

 

Here's an idea. Why don't you approach commenting on somebody else's web article in a way that is articulate, intelligent and thoughtful, rather than just reading the headline, assuming you know what the article is about, and then copy/pasting in your prepared remarks about how DED is the antichrist of Android and AI is spending too much of your time writing about Apple's partners and/or their competitors and suggesting what other over-written subjects AI should be writing about in your opinion.

 

Is it too much to ask that you engage in civil discourse and show some respect for the site you engaging with your comments? Every damn post you guys make is the same tired spiel of "waaaa you repeated some fact that is unflattering to my religion" and then turn around and begin recounting every flaw you can remember about Apple, despite zero relevance, timeliness or any relation to the discussion going on. It's really tiring behavior. If you can't respect the comments you need to move on or have your account removed. It's that simple. 

 

That's what trolls do: they waste people's time with irrelevant nonsense. So please stop. Say something interesting. You can cheerlead for Android all you want, just stick to facts and stop with the emotionalism and hate-baiting of the author and the site that are giving you a forum to discuss ideas in.

 

If there were something interesting and noteworthy being written about Android, we'd be there discussing it. But we're not. We're here. So have some respect for the place you're entering and stop being irrelevant discussion destroying trolls throwing tantrums about an article that is not something you'd write. We know that. 

 

Seeing as you live in an echo chamber, Daniel, I would think you could realize that every ounce of your criticism in that post applies to you.  Let's see how that might work.

 

Why don't you approach commenting on your own article with full disclosure, an open mind, and a calm demeanor, rather than just reading the name of the commenter, assuming that he has ill will towards Apple, and then copy/pasting your research from prior articles about how Google is the antichrist and spending too much of your time denying unflattering facts about Apple as if one more intentionally blind rant will validate your opinion.

 

Is it too much to ask that you engage in civil discourse and show some respect for the people who are engaging in your website and adding to the clicks counter?  Every damn post you make is the same tired spiel of "waaaa you repeated some fact that is unflattering to my religion" and then turn around and begin recounting every flaw you can remember about Google, despite zero relevance, timeliness, or any relation to the discussion going on.  It's really tiring behavior.  If you can't respect the views of the people who are discussing your articles you need to end the masquerade and have your account removed.  It's that simple.

 

That's what trolls do: they waste people's time with irrelevant nonsense.  So please stop.  Say something unbiased.  You can cheerlead for Apple all you want, just stick to facts and stop with the emotionalism and hate-baiting of members who are keeping your site in business.

post #134 of 180
v5v no I don't think its disgracefull for DED to comment on these posts under his name or any other. It's a free country he can post an idea on a forum if he likes. On RDM he routinely posts rebuttles. I think it's more disgraceful for DED to not post corrections, he doesn't just write something and then walk away from it, he backs it up. You're just trying to disparage him by appearing morrally superior.
post #135 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Why don't you approach commenting on your own article with full disclosure, an open mind, and a calm demeanor, rather than just reading the name of the commenter, assuming that he has ill will towards Apple, and then copy/pasting your research from prior articles about how Google is the antichrist and spending too much of your time denying unflattering facts about Apple as if one more intentionally blind rant will validate your opinion.

 

Is it too much to ask that you engage in civil discourse and show some respect for the people who are engaging in your website and adding to the clicks counter?  Every damn post you make is the same tired spiel of "waaaa you repeated some fact that is unflattering to my religion" and then turn around and begin recounting every flaw you can remember about Google, despite zero relevance, timeliness, or any relation to the discussion going on.  It's really tiring behavior.  If you can't respect the views of the people who are discussing your articles you need to end the masquerade and have your account removed.  It's that simple.

 

That's what trolls do: they waste people's time with irrelevant nonsense.  So please stop.  Say something unbiased.  You can cheerlead for Apple all you want, just stick to facts and stop with the emotionalism and hate-baiting of members who are keeping your site in business.

 

What irrelevant flaws about Google did I recount?  You can't just copy/paste an argument and change the nouns if it doesn't make any sense.

 

Also, stop using the word "unbiased" because you don't know what it means. Having a patronizing tone is not the same as having a point and arguing it well.

 

Also, the trolls posting belligerent attacks on the site and the author "do not keep AI in business." 

post #136 of 180
Classic:

"It was world where Windows Mobile users were expected to shell out $75 for WorldMate Pro ... $20 for a real email application, $30 to manage your contacts, $15 to view photos, $20 to play MP3s, $30 for a calculator, $25 to read PDFs, $30 to take notes, and $25 to find and launch apps with Propel...Apple incorporated all of these 'third party apps' for free on the iPhone"
post #137 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

 

JayZ isn't mentioned in the article Derek linked to. 

 

So you're also unable to find anyone who's actually been affected by the potential security risk described there?

 

You would be advised to avoid the ad hominems.  I've seen people get banned here for less.

 

So it's your opinion that Bluebox Security's report is irrelevant and poses no risk? Hysterical.

 

I wonder why Google took it seriously. Serious enough to delay the next version of Android rather than presenting it at Google IO. Or was Google just blindsided by iOS 7?

 

In any case, if you need some data on Android security problems, why don't you just Google it, rather than demand somebody do detailed research for you while you sit there composing your next troll demands and change the subject rapidly to divert attention away from the issues. There's plenty of facts available to you.

 

For starters, the article linked to above notes that the first exploits are now being seen in the wild. Exploits for phones that will never be updated.  

post #138 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

What irrelevant flaws about Google did I recount?  You can't just copy/paste an argument and change the nouns if it doesn't make any sense.

 

Also, stop using the word "unbiased" because you don't know what it means. Having a patronizing tone is not the same as having a point and arguing it well.

 

Also, the trolls posting belligerent attacks on the site and the author "do not keep AI in business." 

 

Perhaps irrelevant flaws doesn't quite fit for what I'm thinking of, which is more in line with outright falsehoods, but I left the wording from your other post.  Anyway, from this thread:

 

1.  "Thing is, the Android versions are also often lower quality, crashier, full of ads, and rarely updated. Few apps take any real advantage of new Android features, and many do not work on anything but a select number of devices. On top, app developers from Facebook to Samsung take advantage of the non-security of Android to collect far more data and monitor the apps you install and launch and the people you call."

 

There are no facts to support Android apps being lower quality, crashier, full of ads, or rarely updated.  Nor do apps ignore features of the newest versions of Android; they support the features, but those features won't appear on devices that don't support them (e.g. an app can offer a lock screen widget, but that option will only appear for users running 4.2).  I don't think you have any evidence that app developers are collecting more data.  Whether they can is another story.

 

 

2.  "As opposed to say, having a huge vulnerability reported to you in February that affects your entire installed base and not even making a comment on it while you scramble to make a fix that you can't even deploy to your own pure google Nexus users, let alone the 66% of the installed base on an ancient version of Android."

 

I believe you're referring to the app signature vulnerability here.  This vulnerability was fixed for all apps that are downloaded through Google Play.  It does not require a system update except to secure against apps installed from third parties, something that Google warns against and an action which must first be approved by the user through the system security settings.

 

 

3.  "Sorry the joke is on you. Android doesn't have any cool development going on and you know it. You get some second run Flash applet games with ads and you get a port of major apps, often a cycle or two late. How many years was it before Instagram was out? There's no edu apps, little safe for kids, nothing that takes any real advantage of tablets, but lots of wallpapers and apps that are pretending to be stuff you can get on iOS."

 

Android is lacking in tablet apps and the newest games.  There are plenty of educational apps and apps for children.  The apps that "pretend to be stuff you can't get on iOS" aren't pretending.  Without rooting, you can change your default launcher, messaging app, keyboard, email client, etc.

 

 

4.  "Remember that most "Android shipments" are whitebox estimates in China. They aren't even relevant to Western app development."

 

Source?

 

 

5.  "Well several 100k's of people downloaded Samsung's JayZ spyware app that reads your call history, your apps in use, you location, and so on. That didn't take advantage of the key signing flaw because it was an official Samsung app leveraging Google's official spyware system.  [Even more stuff about malware...]"

 

Malware is not a problem on Android.  I've never seen any article citing numbers of infections.  In fact, the only articles I've seen are sourced from anti-malware software companies.  That's like a solar panel company reporting on the dangers of gas lines for water heaters.

 

 

I know exactly what unbiased means, and it has nothing to do with tone or arguing a point well.  Unbiased means acknowledging faults and advantages of both your favored idea and the opposing one.

 

As for the trolls, I'd first argue that most of them are not trolls but instead are people who are not Apple zealots.  A dissenting opinion about anything pro-Apple is labelled trolling here.  Go around to the less civilized forums and discover what real trolls are.  Beyond that, the back and forth between dissenting members generates a lot more traffic than a back-patting session.  I imagine most comment threads would wrap up after about 20 posts if there was nothing but approval for Apple's every move.  How many different ways can you say, "Good job, Apple!"?

post #139 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSx View Post

Can we get more Apple news, and less Android hate?

Hell no! I need to get my Android hate on every once in a while. It makes me feel good and I find it quite entertaining.1smoking.gif
post #140 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

I wonder what drives anonymous cowards on the internet to post bitterly critical garbage non-stop. It's like people who drive poorly. Can't do anything about it but it sure would be nice if they'd stop driving like dicks. 

 

Total lack of self-awareness. lol.gif

post #141 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Malware is not a problem on Android.  I've never seen any article citing numbers of infections.

You're kidding right? Malware isn't a problem on Android??

https://www.google.com/search?q=malware+on+android&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

That was just a quick Google (oh the irony) search but you get the picture. Malware is a HUGE problem for and on Android. Please do a little research next time before parroting obvious mullarky.
post #142 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

DED is not wasting his time with "hate" stuff as you put it.

 

Oh, bullshit. That's all Dilger does. Well, except when Microsoft was the "enemy." Then it was Microsoft hate. Please can't we relegate his crap back to his own website and elevate this site back up a few pegs on the journalistic totem pole? Yeah, I know that if every Apple press conference doesn't give me multiple orgasms I shouldn't be on this site, but it didn't used to be like this when I originally started coming here. I rant against Dilger every "article" because every one of them is just a cherry picked set of facts with the overwhelming message, "Apple is AWESOME!!!" That's not journalism. It's a fanboy delusion. Hell, 90% of the "article" has nothing to do with the headline. I got through half of the tripe of the first page and still couldn't find where it mentioned app signing. But that's typical Dilger. Obfuscate the bullshit that is his "article" in a barrage of irrelevant garbage that is actually just a serious of jabs at whatever company he's ranting against that has the gall to compete against the "hallowed" Apple.

post #143 of 180
Good coverage DED on the way things have unfolded.

For the whiners- yes this is a bit snarky, BUT when the revisionists start making up the "real" history it becomes tedious constantly calling them on it, and you have to find your fun in it somewhere to keep going.
With the "journalists" that flood the network with made up crap these days it is darn near a full time job separating the wheat from the chaff. DED is one of the finer examples of a thresher doing this effort in the Apple area. If the stalks get mauled in the process... That is the price of bread for you.

Oh and he has hammered Apple in the past for their misses as well.
post #144 of 180
Yhe my screen is bigger than your screen crowd does know enough to care.
post #145 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

 

Perhaps irrelevant flaws doesn't quite fit for what I'm thinking of, which is more in line with outright falsehoods, but I left the wording from your other post.  Anyway, from this thread:

 

1. " Nor do apps ignore features of the newest versions of Android; they support the features, but those features won't appear on devices that don't support them (e.g. an app can offer a lock screen widget, but that option will only appear for users running 4.2)."

 

3. " Android is lacking in tablet apps and the newest games.  There are plenty of educational apps and apps for children.  The apps that "pretend to be stuff you can't get on iOS" aren't pretending.  Without rooting, you can change your default launcher, messaging app, keyboard, email client, etc."

 

5.  "Malware is not a problem on Android.  I've never seen any article citing numbers of infections." 

 

 

 

 

 

Perhaps irrelevant flaws doesn't quite fit for what I'm thinking of, which is more in line with outright falsehoods, but I left the wording from your other post.  Anyway, from this thread:

 

1. I am a developer. Been for many years. Practice described above is rare on other platforms, but can be found on Android for obvious reason. It makes Android development even more costly and complicated. Most of all, this is not welcomed by neither: developers and users.

 

 

3. Tablet is a key essential for a good educational software. You statement confirms what you disagreed with.

Vast majority of users don't want to change default things or even the default apps.

 

 

5.  I agree malware is not special problem on Android, because businesses generally don't use it. If you don't see the numbers of infections, that doesn't mean there aren't any. Those, who could report of it are the root source of it and are keeping silent with a purpose.

post #146 of 180
"That's like saying, "why can't we have a book about the history of allied forces' actions during WWII without it mentioning the Germans, Japanese or Italians?"

It's comments like those that make me wish this site had a "like" button!

I think that setting the record straight on editorial misstatements, as this article does in its early stages, is very important. The comparisons to other products, their relative flaws, and the reason for them, are also quite well-done. This is MUCH better than simple "rants" where no reason other than personal preference is given for the relative merits of the competing platforms.
post #147 of 180
As if Apple don't have security problems on their own! Android is ruling the World and soon will be ruling the Desktop, it's better to stop hating Android and trying to make iOS and Mac OS X better!
post #148 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

So it's your opinion that Bluebox Security's report is irrelevant and poses no risk? Hysterical.

 

It's a serious security flaw. But as has been discussed on this forum before, this exploit has little chance of affecting most Android users because they use their phones primarily as featurephones. See the quote below.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

 

It IS unambiguously true, as many, many analyses have shown over a long period of time.  It's probably also true that this will affect few Android users, for the reasons you state.  


Edited by d4NjvRzf - 7/15/13 at 7:16am
post #149 of 180
You don't seem to understand the difference between vulnerabilities that are rapidly patched and malicious exploits.
 
There were 32.8 million Android devices infected with 65,227 different pieces of malware in 2012 alone compared to zero malicious exploits for iOS according to NQ Mobile.
 
The proof is in the pudding - Android is a malware cesspit compared to Apple's curated ecosystem.
post #150 of 180

Android users purchase timewasting devices that require time spent on them that would otherwise be better used.  They are devices that need to be coddled, to have attention thrown at them.  To worry about the next security hole.  The wonder if your carrier will ever bother to provide an update.

 

There was a time in my life when I would also spend time like that.  The problem is that now I realize I have fewer days ahead of me than behind me and don't want to be "rooting" my phone because the company won't provide an update.  Are these valuable skills?  No.

post #151 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocwurst View Post

You don't seem to understand the difference between vulnerabilities that are rapidly patched and malicious exploits.
 
There were 32.8 million Android devices infected with 65,227 different pieces of malware in 2012 alone compared to zero malicious exploits for iOS according to NQ Mobile.
 
The proof is in the pudding - Android is a malware cesspit compared to Apple's curated ecosystem.

Not sure if you can say zero for iOS.

 

 

 
post #152 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocwurst View Post

You don't seem to understand the difference between vulnerabilities that are rapidly patched and malicious exploits.
 
There were 32.8 million Android devices infected with 65,227 different pieces of malware in 2012 alone compared to zero malicious exploits for iOS according to NQ Mobile.
 
The proof is in the pudding - Android is a malware cesspit compared to Apple's curated ecosystem.


Referring to Android as a cesspit or cesspool is a grave disservice to Wastewater Engineers. The result of a cesspool is that Wastewater Engineers decontaminate the water for resuse in developed countries.

Blackwater might be more apt.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 7/15/13 at 9:43am
post #153 of 180

 

As PC World wrote, "While malware in the Play Store isn't anything new, it's concerning to see such an app make it into Apple's walled garden" That was last summer, and iOS 6 has since stopped apps from accessing contacts without asking permission. So its an issue Apple solved on iOS, and one that Google can't fix if it wanted to on the Android "platform."

 

The "FinFisher" malware is also cross platform malware, but its iOS version requires manual installation with a developer signed app and an ad-hoc distribution profile, so its something you'd have to really search for. 

 

But it is interesting that you guys have such a blind reference for supporting Android that you can ignore the quite apparent status quo of the malware-teeming Google Play store, dismiss core architectural flaws as non-important, wave away first party malware/spyware from Samsung, pretend that there is some significant and legitimate market for APKs, and then turn around and say hey! I found two reports of stuff nobody can install today from last summer on the web for iOS!!!

post #154 of 180
This was a good article. A few are whining about it but who cares.
post #155 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And that's the best you can do? Some obscure photography apps.

Please. Please just shut up. At first I thought you actually thought half of the things you posted, but please. You've lost already. Every single study ever done on every type of mobile app since the beginning of the existence of the ecosystems themselves proves you wrong. Just go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

When can I get banned? I'm feeling left out. I berate KD, Macrulez and all the new trolls regularly and haven't even racked up any warnings. I must be doing something wrong.

More venom, less patience.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #156 of 180
I figure the original iPhone goal was have App Store, but got delayed and figured great with iPhone 3G release.
post #157 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


You're kidding right? Malware isn't a problem on Android??

https://www.google.com/search?q=malware+on+android&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

That was just a quick Google (oh the irony) search but you get the picture. Malware is a HUGE problem for and on Android. Please do a little research next time before parroting obvious mullarky.

 

First, I didn't say that malware was nonexistent.  I said it wasn't a problem.  There is a difference between those two.

 

And to humor you, I read all of the links on the first results page.  Guess what?  It confirmed what I said before.  All the numbers for malware threats are from companies selling anti-malware software.

post #158 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

As PC World wrote, "While malware in the Play Store isn't anything new, it's concerning to see such an app make it into Apple's walled garden" That was last summer, and iOS 6 has since stopped apps from accessing contacts without asking permission. So its an issue Apple solved on iOS, and one that Google can't fix if it wanted to on the Android "platform."

 

The "FinFisher" malware is also cross platform malware, but its iOS version requires manual installation with a developer signed app and an ad-hoc distribution profile, so its something you'd have to really search for. 

 

But it is interesting that you guys have such a blind reference for supporting Android that you can ignore the quite apparent status quo of the malware-teeming Google Play store, dismiss core architectural flaws as non-important, wave away first party malware/spyware from Samsung, pretend that there is some significant and legitimate market for APKs, and then turn around and say hey! I found two reports of stuff nobody can install today from last summer on the web for iOS!!!

First of all I own and use an iPhone not an Android so I have no idea where that came from.  I don't blindly support or advocate Android or iOS/iPhone for that matter. I have complaints about both. iOS 7 looks to have answered most of my wish list for iOS and if Apple releases a larger display I won't have anything left to complain about.

 

I simply pointed out that iOS has not been immune as that other poster suggested. I understand that there is a lot more malware on Android and never said any different. But some has existed for iOS whether it was patched or not and whether it requires an idiot user to install. Most Android malware also require a pretty dumb user to seek it out and install so no real difference there. 

 

People on Android that only use the Google Play store and keep the "unknown sources" checked are very unlikely to ever suffer from malware. They should probably be a bit more careful monitoring permissions that apps use and also might want to use Avast as an extra precaution but it is not quite as dangerous as you make it sound. 

post #159 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

 

 

Perhaps irrelevant flaws doesn't quite fit for what I'm thinking of, which is more in line with outright falsehoods, but I left the wording from your other post.  Anyway, from this thread:

 

1. I am a developer. Been for many years. Practice described above is rare on other platforms, but can be found on Android for obvious reason. It makes Android development even more costly and complicated. Most of all, this is not welcomed by neither: developers and users.

 

 

3. Tablet is a key essential for a good educational software. You statement confirms what you disagreed with.

Vast majority of users don't want to change default things or even the default apps.

 

 

5.  I agree malware is not special problem on Android, because businesses generally don't use it. If you don't see the numbers of infections, that doesn't mean there aren't any. Those, who could report of it are the root source of it and are keeping silent with a purpose.

 

1.  I can't really comment as I'm not a developer, but I suspect that fragmented API support does raise costs somewhat.

 

3.  I wasn't confirming what I disagreed with.  I was agreeing with part and disagreeing with another part.  I think you're underestimating the number of users who replace default apps on Android.  The system makes it so easy that it's incredibly common.  For example let's look at keyboards.  Swiftkey has been installed between 11M and 55M times.  GO Keyboard has been installed between 10M and 50M times.  AItype has been installed 5M to 10M times.  Swype has been installed between 100K and 500K times.

 

5.  I agree that malware exists, but is not a problem.

post #160 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

First, I didn't say that malware was nonexistent.  I said it wasn't a problem.  There is a difference between those two.

And to humor you, I read all of the links on the first results page.  Guess what?  It confirmed what I said before.  All the numbers for malware threats are from companies selling anti-malware software.
I never said you did say that malware was non-exsistent.

Humor but not actually read correct? Nice to see you so dismissive of malware regardless of tbe source.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security