or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security - Page 3

post #81 of 183

The basis of this article is correct:  Jobs was not categorically opposed to native apps.  He just wanted absolute control over them, and so sometimes made them out to be a big threat.  As he put it in an interview right after showing off the iPhone:

 

Quote:

We define everything that is on the phone,” he said. “You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”

 

The iPhone, he insisted, would not look like the rest of the wireless industry.

 

These are devices that need to work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them,” he said. “That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.

 

NY Times, Jan 11, 2007

 

In another interview, he even mentioned the possibility of a bad app "bringing down all the West Coast towers".  (In an ironic twist, it was Apple-written software that actually "took down towers".   Recall their 3G code problem... it had a CDMA power ramp bug that would cause cells to overload and drop off users!  So much for a controlled environment preventing bugs.)

 

Of course, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Blackberry, Palm OS etc all had had apps for years without causing such a problem.  (Blackberry apps required a signature that only registered developers had, btw.   That was not a new idea.)

 

--

 

Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs, written using interviews with him, also talked about Steve Jobs' resistance to third party apps at first.  According to the book, both Apple Board Director Art Levinson and marketing chief Phil Schiller kept after Jobs to allow apps, but Jobs didn't want to hear about it at first and shut down any discussions.

 

However, Jobs was eventually won over.  (I suspect that the lukewarm reception to his declaration that web apps were "sweet" had a lot to do with that.)  And no, WebOS apps are not the same thing at all.

 

Re: the SDK not starting in Oct 2007.  Well, yeah.  The iPhone programmers themselves needed an SDK to work on the device, so obviously one had been in use for a while. 

 

Re: app prices.  It's true that the Apple App Store caused mobile software to dramatically drop in price.  Great for customers, but very few developers manage to make a living off 70 cent sale revenues.

 

Re: OS bugs. Apparently few remember that the very FIRST iPhone software update came about because a researcher threatened to release code that would let anyone take over an iPhone, if Apple didn't put out a fix by a certain date.  Apple complied.

post #82 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I remember now after reading this excellent weekend post by DED, but I had totally forgotten about the delay in allowing native apps by 3rd party developers for iOS. How times flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Great article - very informative. Didn't know half that stuff, really appreciate the whole story. And from someone who isn't simply trying to hop on the bandwagon by recycling other news stories to create click bait. You've obviously written this article out of some deeper thought and research than many mainstream newspapers.

Be very careful here... I followed DED's Roughly Drafted site for years -- as he seemed to believe many of the same things about Apple that I do.

However, after a while I had this gnawing feeling that something was wrong. DED kept regurgitating all the same old refrains against Apple's rivals/competition, ad nauseam...

Then I noticed that DED [usually] conveniently linked to prior articles/opinions written by DED himself * -- and elided or ignored contrary opinions.

Later, when questioned on his opinions or conclusions, DED would often attack/ridicule the questioner or demean the question -- rather than discuss it without bias. **

I would define what DED does as "Editorialising" -- it hardly fits the definition of "Journalism",


Fool me once...


* Most of the links in this article are to other articles written by DED

** On AI, DED uses a pseudonym. "Corrections" to challange anyone who disagrees and to further bolster his agenda/opinions.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #83 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

[...] I say let the end users decide. Some people will want a more controlled experienced, others may prefer more diversity.  The world is big enough for both platforms to co-exist.

 

I fall on the side of convenience. Some things I want control over, others it's just easier to let someone else take care of it. Since this device isn't a "pet interest" I prefer to have a responsible curator manage security for me.

 

That doesn't mean I blindly accept it as the ONLY Way, Truth and Light, or that I don't want people like Charlie testing the security, or that I don't still want some features the other guys have that I don't, or that I need to disparage others for having different preferences.

 

It seems to some people that saying either "Apple is not perfect" or "I wish Apple would offer this feature/device/function" is the equivalent of saying "I mock your value system and deride you personally."

post #84 of 183

Long time fan and reader ... but just registered to tell you how much I enjoy these editorials.

 

 

 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #85 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik47 View Post

rogifan, When Apple started working on iPhone they did not hire anyone one from outside...

Who says?
Quote:
Project iWatch is not starting soon, it is ending soon. I reckon it will be in market later this year.

If the world ran on that logic, we never would have exited the stone age.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #86 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

** On AI, DED uses a pseudonym. "Corrections" to challange anyone who disagrees and to further bolster his agenda/opinions.

 

Holy Disingenuous Deception Batman! That sure explains a lot.

 

I noted earlier how that particular poster was... <*Ahem*> uh, "somewhat less than civil." The fact that he, himself, poses to disguise his insults is reprehensible. If a reporter in our plant did that they'd be fired immediately upon discovery. I understand AI exists to make money, but so do actual NEWS organizations and they manage to do it while maintaining SOME degree of journalistic ethics.

 

Of course, I suppose he'll now retire that disguise and just reappear under a new alias.

post #87 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

I fall on the side of convenience. Some things I want control over, others it's just easier to let someone else take care of it. Since this device isn't a "pet interest" I prefer to have a responsible curator manage security for me.

 

That doesn't mean I blindly accept it as the ONLY Way, Truth and Light, or that I don't want people like Charlie testing the security, or that I don't still want some features the other guys have that I don't, or that I need to disparage others for having different preferences.

 

It seems to some people that saying either "Apple is not perfect" or "I wish Apple would offer this feature/device/function" is the equivalent of saying "I mock your value system and deride you personally."

 

Actually I don't mind Apple having a closed ecosystem as long as there is competition, there is still free choice, even if one firm controls a large platform. The problem with Microsoft when they had a platform was that the balanced was tipped too far, with 90+% of the market on a closed OS controlled by a single vendor, and MS using that leverage to strong-arm those who dissented.

 

But Apple having a closed platform is fine. I have several Apple devices, my kids have been on iPads since the iPad 1, and now on Minis.

 

If you've got a device and you like it, why do you give a shit what other people are using? Don't worry, be happy.

 

My only other beef with iOS is if they'd open up more APIs, like system-wide pluggable sharing (not just locked to Facebook or Twitter). It would allow apps like Dropbox to work so much better.

post #88 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

This "platform war" meme is for phone makers and fans, but the more successful devs don't generally buy into it, simply developing for both.

 

How many of these popular iOS apps aren't available for Android?  Can you list even a dozen from the top 100 iOS apps that aren't also in Google Play?

 

Djay, Vjay, Traktor DJ, Korg MS, Omnioutliner, most good games, audio apps and any real program that isn't that social media crap.

post #89 of 183

If you read this article and didn't know anything about mobile operating systems, you'd think that Android was in dire straits rather than commanding a majority of the market. The bias is laughable.

post #90 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Which ones? That's what MacRulez was asking. If what you say is true, you should be able to specify WHICH apps haven't made the transition.

It seems safe to assume that there may be some, but are they actually successful apps or just yet another flashlight?

Twitter Music
Tweetbot
Clear
Fantastical
Camera+
CardMunch
(there are more... these are just the ones I found from doing a quick search for "iOS exclusive apps")

Of course there are plenty more apps that eventually do end up on Android... but why did they start on iOS in the first place? That's the big question.

Since it's iOS first, Android second (or sometimes not at all)... what does that say about Android? It sounds to me like iOS is where developers' heart and soul is... and where they make the big decision to launch their business.

Android seems to be an afterthought... and not a priority.

There are also a few examples of the Android version of an app not working as well as the iPhone version... or might only be compatible with a certain subset of Android phones.

And then there's the little matter of iOS App Store revenues outpacing the Google Play Store revenues by a large margin.
post #91 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSx View Post

Can we get more Apple news, and less Android hate?

 

this is news. it is pointing out how crappy, insecure, fragmented, and generally awful the android cloner world is.  Why anyone would even consider a crappy android virus infected, insecure cloner phone is beyond me.

post #92 of 183

"While Google was asking the community to replicate a license-free version of Sun's Java on Linux to serve as its ad-optimized mobile platform, Apple was actually engineering a new platform that learned from both the best practices of the industry's leaders as well as their mistakes. It's not surprising why Apple's App Store succeeded and Google Play hasn't; Apple did the work Google failed to do."

 

Powerful statement. I think this about sums it all up when you look at it in the context of his last editorial as well.

post #93 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

If you read this article and didn't know anything about mobile operating systems, you'd think that Android was in dire straits rather than commanding a majority of the market. The bias is laughable.

Google just managed to recreate Windows on mobile and all the crap that goes with it. It's the OEM'S that are in trouble.

post #94 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

** On AI, DED uses a pseudonym. "Corrections" to challenge anyone who disagrees and to further bolster his agenda/opinions.

If that's the case, which we've never been able to prove, the account needs banned for most of what it has said to users here, as well as for the deception involved.

And some morons actually wanted me to have a "separate account" for moderation. Like I'd fall into that trap. 1oyvey.gif

I think if you check "Corrections" prior posts you will find:
  • they are all posted to articles written by DED
  • they support the content/opinion in the article
  • they ridicule/demean anyone/anything that does not agree
  • they often include ad homs
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #95 of 183
Android is an Open Source and I do not need the Google Market/Play Store to use and/or install apps. That is a wonderful and freedom feeling. If anyone is concern about installing apps outside the official Google Play Store just install an antivirus like in Windows OS. A good one for android is Avast. STOP EXCHANGING YOUR FREEDOM FOR SECURITY. Take control over your life and your technology and stop crying like little girls. Thank you Cyanogenmod for creating this Google Free version of android and all this new privacy features. 1smile.gif
post #96 of 183

Because its free, because its open source, because it can be modified and because it can be fix easily. Because we android users know how to protect from with different tools including antivirus. We are smart enough to perform our own system updates, not apple, not our carrier, but ourselves. We own our phone and we control it at our wish. You iphone user purchase a phone, we android users purchase a computer.

post #97 of 183

iphone is for people that can afford it. Its expensive. Iphone users pay extra for cables and connections or cellphone service. There is no surprise developers start where the money is.

post #98 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


I think if you check "Corrections" prior posts you will find:
  • they are all posted to articles written by DED
  • they support the content/opinion in the article
  • they ridicule/demean anyone/anything that does not agree
  • they often include ad homs

In his defense he has never denied that he was Corrections. He has also thanked people for pointing out certain typos from time to time. He has never once denied that this was his account and the name alone makes it fairly obvious. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


If that's the case, which we've never been able to prove, the account needs banned for most of what it has said to users here, as well as for the deception involved.

And some morons actually wanted me to have a "separate account" for moderation. Like I'd fall into that trap. 1oyvey.gif

I am pretty sure most people wanted you to separate ( the verb form pronounced sepəˌrāt not the adjective) from ever posting on AI again.  I would be careful asking AI to ban DED's account since he actually draws viewers here especially so soon after your account was just unbanned for the 2nd time in as many weeks. I am pretty sure he has a lot more pull here than you. 

 

 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #99 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


I think if you check "Corrections" prior posts you will find:
  • they are all posted to articles written by DED
  • they support the content/opinion in the article
  • they ridicule/demean anyone/anything that does not agree
  • they often include ad homs

 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that.  

 

I'm sure there are many users that hate my guts also, but one thing I've never done and actually find quite despicable is being two people at once on the same forum.  It's just patently unfair.  I'm not entirely sure if being an author as well as a commentator qualifies, but having been on the pointy end of "Connections'" wrath a few times, I have little sympathy for that account.  

 

Like many people on this forum, I haven't always posted under the same name, but never at the same time and never overlapping.  Also, I know I get under a lot of people's skin, but despite what many may think of me, I've never been banned and if I was, I certainly wouldn't come back under a different name later.  I see the forum as a game of sorts and being punished or banned is like being "tagged."  It's a lesson, and an indication that you've gone too far.  if you immediately log in as someone else, then you aren't learning anything.  You certainly aren't going to "win" the forum that way. 

 

So IMO all those losers that play multiple accounts and jump around form account to account are just shooting themselves in the foot and destroying whatever tiny amount of credibility they have. 


Edited by Gazoobee - 7/14/13 at 6:40pm
post #100 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejavi View Post

Because its free, because its open source, because it can be modified and because it can be fix easily. Because we android users know how to protect from with different tools including antivirus. We are smart enough to perform our own system updates, not apple, not our carrier, but ourselves. We own our phone and we control it at our wish. You iphone user purchase a phone, we android users purchase a computer.

 

And you are showing us your deep technical skills and your commitment to customisation by using a different font?  1rolleyes.gif

post #101 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

 

You are very much in the hater camp. And given that you've put yourself among those few droidlolz accounts whose biggest complaint with the article is picking at the word "interview" to describe asking a series of questions at that meeting, it just shows what a desperate, groveling hater you are. Quite embarrassing really. 

 

Wow, you read me completely wrong as usual.  You assume I'm some kind of "droidlolz" account? (weird term) when I'm one of the most anti-Android, pro-Apple posters on the forum?  1smile.gif

 

You shouldn't just swoop down and insult someone so personally when you don't even have background on who they are or what their motivations are.  You're too quick on the draw by far.  

Also, I consistently support your "alter-ego" shall we say, with the exception that I don't think he's perfect, and as a result I deserve this level of vitriol?  You're not the only writer who posts to the forum "Mr. D".  My slight critiques of your writing style are perfectly valid and mine to make. 

 

I think I know which of the two of us is embarrassing themselves. 


Edited by Gazoobee - 7/14/13 at 6:39pm
post #102 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Popular Photography's app recommendation lists, for example, are always "iOS only, iOS only, iOS only, iOS and Android, iOS only..." Occasionally an "Android only", but they're the worst of the bunch.

And that's the best you can do? Some obscure photography apps.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #103 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

 

READ THE DAMN POSTING!

 

His first complaint to Apple was in MAY. Issue addressed in JULY. Figure out how that's MORE THAN ONE DAY then tell me who's a dick who doesn't know what he's talking about. Yeesh.

 

Are you having a bad day? Everything you've posted on this thread has been insults and shots at others. Maybe you should turn off the computer and go outside.

 

He reports that he noted a problem and then ineffectually complained about it for a while, but the day after publishing his piece and correctly reporting the issue to Apple Legal it was handled immediately.

 

As opposed to say, having a huge vulnerability reported to you in February that affects your entire installed base and not even making a comment on it while you scramble to make a fix that you can't even deploy to your own pure google Nexus users, let alone the 66% of the installed base on an ancient version of Android.

 

But yeah, lets scrape the bucket to dredge up some no longer existent problem as a distraction from serious, ongoing issues you deny to exist.  

 

Then after posting comment after comment of personal attacks and bemoaning about how AI persecutes your religion with facts, write some foot stomping complaints in all caps about how somebody else has insulted you and how offended you are about it.

post #104 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


And that's the best you can do? Some obscure photography apps.

 

Sorry the joke is on you. Android doesn't have any cool development going on and you know it. You get some second run Flash applet games with ads and you get a port of major apps, often a cycle or two late. How many years was it before Instagram was out? There's no edu apps, little safe for kids, nothing that takes any real advantage of tablets, but lots of wallpapers and apps that are pretending to be stuff you can get on iOS. 

 

I mean come on, get real.

post #105 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Sorry the joke is on you. Android doesn't have any cool development going on and you know it. You get some second run Flash applet games with ads and you get a port of major apps, often a cycle or two late. How many years was it before Instagram was out? There's no edu apps, little safe for kids, nothing that takes any real advantage of tablets, but lots of wallpapers and apps that are pretending to be stuff you can get on iOS. 

I mean come on, get real.

I'll give you the tablet apps, but IG is just a bunch of people taking selfies. I'm too busy out living my life to see what other people are doing.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #106 of 183
DED,
You may have to go back to posting these exceptional and insightful posts on your own website. I enjoy Appleinsider, and the AI staff seems to be first rate. However, the readership is not particularly discerning - as evidenced by the pedestrian-at-best comments on this article. As a longtime reader of your personal site, I find this piece to be up to your usual quality standards, which is to say top notch.
Best,
Macsdounix
(the user name indicating when I came along and what mattered to me about OS X at the time.)
post #107 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsdounix View Post

DED,
You may have to go back to posting these exceptional and insightful posts on your own website. I enjoy Appleinsider, and the AI staff seems to be first rate. However, the readership is not particularly discerning - as evidenced by the pedestrian-at-best comments on this article. As a longtime reader of your personal site, I find this piece to be up to your usual quality standards, which is to say top notch.
Best,
Macsdounix
(the user name indicating when I came along and what mattered to me about OS X at the time.)

Easy fix, don't read the comments.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #108 of 183

I have always just taken it as a given that this entire site was a one-man operation by DED. All the articles are bylined by obviously made-up names...It never occurred to me to think that they weren't all written by DED himself. I don't intend this as any kind of criticism—I admire his energy and dedication.

 

As for his "bias": unfortunately, reality has an anti-Android bias. Maybe the fandroids should (here's a thought) hang out at an Android-oriented site (assuming they exist) instead of an Apple-oriented one. That way their pwecious widdle fee-fees won't get hurt quite so much.

post #109 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post



Apple iOS has several distinct and important advantages which make all the difference in the world:

[snip]

  • No Multiple Abstraction Layers, i.e. Dalvik Virtual Machine on Linux kernel with every abstraction layer providing potential vulnerabilities

 

iOS has multiple abstraction layers too. Do you have some data such as LOC figures showing that Android's are more complex? 


Edited by d4NjvRzf - 7/14/13 at 7:28pm
post #110 of 183
Great article, good to see history not rewritten!
post #111 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

KDarling, ever the anti-Apple troll.

 

I find it interesting that you consider that post in any way "anti-Apple." I just re-read it and found it to be rather impassionate and balanced. Debunking myths is not criticism.

 

Y'know, I'm starting to get really sick of the zealots who try to shout down every post that includes anything that is in any way critical of Apple. The noise is annoying, the comments often betray a lack of critical thinking, and the insults are juvenile. I don't know how certain contributors expect to carry on anything more meaningful than a circle-jerk when the fundamental tenet is Apple as deity. It *IS* possible to be pro-Apple without being a bloody drooling disciple.

 

Is there a way to activate a filter on the forum that will automatically bozobin every post that includes the word "troll?"

post #112 of 183
Here are a couple relevant recent Android security articles to reinforce Dan's points:

July 4th:
New Android Vulnerability Affects 99% of Devices
http://blog.malwarebytes.org/whats-in-the-news/2013/07/new-android-vulnerability-affects-99-of-devices/

July 9th:
Google quickly patches the '99%' Android malware hole, ball is now in phone makers court
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-quickly-patches-the-99-Android-malware-hole-ball-is-now-in-phone-makers-court_id45081

Google is, at least in part, responding to Android security flaws. But then the fragmentation problem becomes evident: What Android smartphone manufacturers are going to push this patch out to their customer's phones? How many Android phones will remain forever vulnerable to this security flaw?
post #113 of 183
It's not a rant against Android if it's presented in a factual way with supporting arguments. That's just how editorials work. If it was all negative with no truth behind it, then you would have a rant. And if you don't present the counter example and its flaws, you wouldn't even know which side the author leans towards, I.E., the point of the editorial.
post #114 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I have always just taken it as a given that this entire site was a one-man operation by DED. All the articles are bylined by obviously made-up names...It never occurred to me to think that they weren't all written by DED himself. I don't intend this as any kind of criticism—I admire his energy and dedication.

 

No. Apple Insider is not a one-man operation run by Daniel Eran Dilger. Dan is a Contributing Editor. Here is the AI's masthead:

 

http://appleinsider.com/contact/

 

Dan's one-man operation is RoughlyDrafted Magazine:

 

http://www.roughlydrafted.com

post #115 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

If you read this article and didn't know anything about mobile operating systems, you'd think that Android was in dire straits rather than commanding a majority of the market. The bias is laughable.

 

"Commanding" is a curious word for Android shipping for free and being widely used. It suggests Google is in control of its partners, rather than just throwing out updates that nobody makes available.

 

Does Apple's WebKit "command" the mobile web, or is everyone just using it because it's free, with Apple only marginally benefitting in non-profitable ways? 

 

How about Java ME, did it "command" any control over Nokia/Symbian/RIM/WiMo/SE phones or was it just pulling some minor licensing fees? 

 

Remember that most "Android shipments" are whitebox estimates in China. They aren't even relevant to Western app development. 

post #116 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I find it interesting that you consider that post in any way "anti-Apple." I just re-read it and found it to be rather impassionate and balanced. Debunking myths is not criticism.

Y'know, I'm starting to get really sick of the zealots who try to shout down every post that includes anything that is in any way critical of Apple. The noise is annoying, the comments often betray a lack of critical thinking, and the insults are juvenile. I don't know how certain contributors expect to carry on anything more meaningful than a circle-jerk when the fundamental tenet is Apple as deity. It *IS* possible to be pro-Apple without being a bloody drooling disciple.

Is there a way to activate a filter on the forum that will automatically bozobin every post that includes the word "troll?"
KDarling is notorious for these kinds of posts. He pulled the same crap over at MacRumors for years and he's now coming to AI to infest the forums over here with his act.
post #117 of 183

Best article I've enjoyed reading for a long time, devoid of smarmy sarcasm like the flawgic article, (which I also liked), it immediately becomes apparent that like MS, Google, can just rely on the fact that the vast majority of users seem to think viruses and malware are just a part of computing and put up with it as a 'fact' of life. Or just think they are clumsy with computers which should only be expected to work if you have a degree in computer science and if anything goes wrong, for example their information is stolen due to a virus, that it was entirely their fault. Worse they'd rather put up with crap rather than 'learn a new OS'.

post #118 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

He reports that he noted a problem and then ineffectually complained about it for a while, but the day after publishing his piece and correctly reporting the issue to Apple Legal it was handled immediately.

 

 

There is nothing in that posting that indicates that sequence of events.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

As opposed to say, having a huge vulnerability reported to you in February that affects your entire installed base and not even making a comment on it while you scramble to make a fix that you can't even deploy to your own pure google Nexus users, let alone the 66% of the installed base on an ancient version of Android.

 

Yeah, that's a serious problem and a big part of why I choose to use an iOS device instead of something with a bigger screen.

 

It's also completely irrelevant to our discussion. Android's weaknesses have nothing to do with my point that you overstated your claim. Quit changing the subject.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

But yeah, lets scrape the bucket to dredge up some no longer existent problem as a distraction from serious, ongoing issues you deny to exist.

 

I absolutely did not deny their existence. I pointed out a flaw in your article. Don't change the subject.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Then after posting comment after comment of personal attacks

 

I criticized your article. It's not a good sign that you perceive that as a "personal attack."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

and bemoaning about how AI persecutes your religion with facts

 

I don't know how to respond to that because I have no idea what you're talking about. Unlike many here, I don't have any dogmatic agenda to defend, nor do I sense any persecution. I'm not sure what you consider me to have moaned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

write some foot stomping complaints in all caps about how somebody else has insulted you and how offended you are about it.

 

Before someone finally clued me in to who you are I would have thought that either you are just having a harder-than-normal time understanding the point (hence the EMPHASIS on the IMPORTANT BITS) or that you are one of those guys who deliberately stirs up shit because it gives him some sense of power he doesn't enjoy in his offline life. Now that I know it's you, I find your comments equal parts pathetic and insulting. Attacking from a disingenuous position and defending your own opinions in while in disguise is pathetic. That you attack the readership of the site is insulting. Your behaviour is disgraceful and you should be ashamed.

post #119 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

As for his "bias": unfortunately, reality has an anti-Android bias. Maybe the fandroids should (here's a thought) hang out at an Android-oriented site (assuming they exist) instead of an Apple-oriented one. That way their pwecious widdle fee-fees won't get hurt quite so much.

 

Wanting a little more objectivity does not make one an Android fan.

 

Why are you willing to accept skewed reporting? That makes it sound like you'd rather enjoy a fairy tale than know what's actually going on in real life, which obviously isn't true, right?

 

Your comment about pwecious widdle fee-fees was hilarious, but unfair to those of us who are pro-Apple but anti-bullshit.

post #120 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

KDarling is notorious for these kinds of posts. He pulled the same crap over at MacRumors for years and he's now coming to AI to infest the forums over here with his act.

 

WHAT crap? He discussed the path Apple took from introducing the iPhone to the current App Store. Much of what he wrote was very PRO-Apple. Some of it was questioning whether some long-held beliefs are actually just myths. Other parts described Jobs as not actually being an omnipotent deity after all, but just a guy who sometimes changes his mind as new information and situations come along.

 

I don't understand what it was in that post that got under your skin. Did I miss something?

 

Are you sure your knee isn't maybe twitching involuntarily a little?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Editorial: Google's Android haunted by Steve Jobs' warnings on app signing security