or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Leaked video shows off Moto X voice and gesture controls, reveals launch window
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leaked video shows off Moto X voice and gesture controls, reveals launch window - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure you get to complain about berating people for wanting a competeitor's product, then.

 

I what now?

post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I what now?

Sorry, iPad. iPad and desktop site formatting. 1tongue.gif

Yeah, there's over the top harassment, but don't act surprised that people berate others for saying they want a competitor's product when they're here.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sorry, iPad. iPad and desktop site formatting. 1tongue.gif

Yeah, there's over the top harassment, but don't act surprised that people berate others for saying they want a competitor's product when they're here.

Eh, like I said before - I don't get worked up over this stuff. It's just STUFF. Having said that, some people are silly. It isn't like I posted the article. Apple insider posted it, I merely commented that I like the concept of the Moto X and will consider it (and the iPhone 5s) this fall. That doesn't make me a troll or whatever...it makes me a consumer, a reasonable one at that.
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

...I merely commented that I like the concept of the Moto X and will consider it (and the iPhone 5s) this fall. That doesn't make me a troll or whatever...

No, of course not!

Something like, "How you idiots would ever consider the iPhone over [product name] is beyond me" would, though. 1tongue.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #45 of 52

I think some of the ideas coming out of google are pretty good, so the Moto X might push the android market into a different area, Googles execution & implementation is horrible tho.

 

post #46 of 52

I like the idea of not having to press a button to activate voice functions. Having to use your hands to activate hands-free operation always struck me as counterproductive and a little strange.

 

I don't mind the phone listening for me to say the activation phrase. If a security agency listens in on me, they'll have no one but themselves to blame for what they hear.

 

What would be REALLY cool is if I could set my own activation phrase! "Hello nice Siri Lady!" in one's best Jerry Lewis vocal twist (Professor Frink for those of you too young to remember Jerry), or "Make it Siri Number One" in a Patrick Stewart British accent. Wait, no, "Open the pod bay door, Siri!"

post #47 of 52
Yes, that's EXACTLY what you want from your phone. Let Google listen ALL the time.
post #48 of 52
Quote:

Yes, that's EXACTLY what you want from your phone. Let Google listen ALL the time.

 

A lot of similar technically incorrect comments in this thread.

 

Obviously "Google" would not be listening all the time.  That would use impossible amounts of storage, comms and battery.

 

Instead, the phone itself would be dumbly comparing microphone waveforms for a match to the key phrase, "Okay Google Now", before activating real listening for the followup command.

 

I wouldn't even be surprised if this was done using a very low power dedicated voice command processor --such chips have been around since the late 1970s -- that only knew that single phrase.  That's the way I would do it to conserve power.  Let the main CPU sleep.  (Or possibly do it in the broadband processor code, since it's running all the time.)


Edited by KDarling - 7/17/13 at 6:51am
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


Rumors are 4.3 to 4.5 inches.

 

It's 4.65" - 4.7" but the exterior dimensions are very similar to the iPhone 5. Same height but a little wider. Quite impressive really. It means Apple can do the same thing (If they ditch that terrible massive physical home button).

 

A reddit reader had the phone over the weekend and posted a bunch of pictures and videos. It's pretty much confirmed.

post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

A lot of similar technically incorrect comments in this thread.

Obviously "Google" would not be listening all the time.  That would use impossible amounts of storage, comms and battery.


Instead, the phone itself would be dumbly comparing microphone waveforms for a match to the key phrase, "Okay Google Now", before activating real listening for the followup command.

Reports indicate it "learns" your voice to help prevent others from inadvertently (!) activating the feature.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Reports indicate it "learns" your voice to help prevent others from inadvertently (!) activating the feature.

 

I think those articles might be confused by the way the ad says, "talk to it and it learns your voice", which is what both Google and Siri do over time.

 

If the special wakeup phrase requires any training, it would likely have its own immediate special setup. I haven't read anything (yet) about the phrase being customizable, have you?

post #52 of 52
No sir I have not.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Leaked video shows off Moto X voice and gesture controls, reveals launch window