or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone accounted for 51% of all smartphone activations at Verizon in Q2

Apple's iPhone accounted for 51% of all smartphone activations at Verizon in Q2 - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Good question.  It's probably two activations.

More importantly, carrier activation counts include hand-me-down and resold phones.

By including used devices, the numbers look more impressive.
But it's still an apples to apples comparison in terms of YOY growth. It's not like Verizon is including numbers now that they didn't a year ago this quarter.
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

amazing, considering verizon does everything they can to keep people away from the iPhone.

So all of VZW is to blame for some salesperson trying to make a few extra dollars?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #43 of 53
Quote:

More importantly, carrier activation counts include hand-me-down and resold phones.

Of course someone who got a handed down iPhone and activated it should count but it shouldn't be 2 activations if someone returned a defective device and got another or because they didn't like it and got another.
post #44 of 53
Quote:

Considering activations are tied to a phone number (that has an IMEI associated with it) I think they could pretty easily report accurate numbers.

Also, don't activations cost money? I pay $29 to activate a new phone, but I don't recall ever paying to switch my SIM to a used phone. 

post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But it's still an apples to apples comparison in terms of YOY growth. It's not like Verizon is including numbers now that they didn't a year ago this quarter.

Actually, there would be more used Verizon iPhones included in the activations count than ever before.

According to CIRP stats, far more iPhones are resold by people upgrading, than any other type of phone.  This is due to their popularity and high resale.  No surprise there.

The percentage of these used iPhones being activated jumps after major debuts and two year contract endings.  For example, in the quarters during and after the time that the very popular iPhone 4S came out, about one in four AT&T iPhone activations were used iPhones.

For Verizon, such mass used activations will have taken longer to show up, because they only got the iPhone two years ago, and millions of those early adopters are only just now hitting the upgrade cycle.

So, who cares?  Good question.  Obviously high activation numbers mean that iPhones, used or not, are still quite popular. One reason to be aware of used activations, is if someone is trying to correlate activations to new device sales. 

Cheers!

Edited by KDarling - 7/18/13 at 10:28am
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Considering activations are tied to a phone number (that has an IMEI associated with it) I think they could pretty easily report accurate numbers.

Sure.  It just depends on what they want to report.

Quote:
Also, don't activations cost money? I pay $29 to activate a new phone, but I don't recall ever paying to switch my SIM to a used phone.

Right, swapping phones does not cost anything if you're already under contract.

New subscriber activations usually do cost money.

post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I think they'll drop the 4S and use the new polycarb case iphones as the $0 entry phone. That way all the iPhones sold from here on will have 4" screens.

I agree. This is a biggie for apple. Retire the 4/4S and have  common screen sizes, common connector and full compatibility with IOS7.

post #48 of 53
Quote:

Sure.  It just depends on what they want to report.

Right, swapping phones does not cost anything if you're already under contract.

New subscriber activations usually do cost money.

When I upgrade my iPhone, I have to pay a $29 activation fee each time (at AT&T mind you).

Do we have clarification as to what is being referred to as an activation?

I understand bringing in a used iPhone as a new subscriber would be counted. But what about when I give my old iPhone to a family member who currently has a contract (and they just move the SIM)?
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So all of VZW is to blame for some salesperson trying to make a few extra dollars?

why would one salesperson care? it is VZW. they push the cheaper phones because it makes them more money.

post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

why would one salesperson care? it is VZW. they push the cheaper phones because it makes them more money.

No they don't. Source?

The poster is correct. A salesperson is paid more for selling an Android phone than they're paid for selling an iPhone. That has more to do with Apple than it does VZ. There is only so much $$ there to split...
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

More useless figures for Apple's iPhone. The only thing that matters to Wall Street is that Apple's global market share fell and Apple has sold considerably less smartphones than it did previously. Apple is still seen doomed as a company and the share price needs to fall a lot further. Google deliberately gave Android away to smartphone vendors to put a serious crimp in future iPhone sales. It would have been easy for Apple to sell many more iPhones over a longer period of time if the smartphone market didn't become totally glutted with hundreds of millions of cheap Android smartphones. The smartphone sales wall came way before its time because of Google's freely distributed Android OS. iPhones sales got totally choked off.

Apple will never again see quarters of selling 45 million iPhones because of Android device glut. 95% of Android smartphone vendors are making very little money and only Samsung appears to be benefiting but it irreparably damaged Apple's past and future iPhone business. I sure hope Apple eventually goes after Google's search engine business to choke off some of Google's ad revenue just for kicks. Give Google a taste of how it feels to have their main source of revenue hindered. Wall Street continues to give Google a free pass because it has no competition in market share. They need to get some serious competition as soon as possible.

Apple has never had a quarter where is sold fewer phones year over year.  Statcounter shows rising shares in Russia, Japan, and Brazil.  Stable share in rapidly growing China.  In the US - more rapid growth of iPhone usage (according to comscore) than every before in its history.

post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I wonder how they count those 'activations' if you activate a phone, return it, and activate a second phone.

Probably the same way they count them in either case, iPhone OR Android. As such, I don't see how it could bias the results either way.

post #53 of 53
People only tolerate Yugos until they get smart and get a few extra nickels.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone accounted for 51% of all smartphone activations at Verizon in Q2
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone accounted for 51% of all smartphone activations at Verizon in Q2