or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production

Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production

post #1 of 106
A set of leaked documents appears to show that Apple will be releasing multiple models of its bestselling smartphone this year, with one aimed at the traditional iPhone audience and the other aiming possibly for the low-cost segment, though both devices are claimed to feature a full gigabyte of RAM.

Friday brought yet another rumor on the low-cost iPhone front, this time in the form of slides purporting to lay out the specifics of multiple versions of the device. According to the slides, Apple's next iPhone could come in at least two distinct flavors. The images were discovered early on Friday by Phone Arena, which pointed to a Chinese forum as a source.

The documents give two different code names for the devices: Zenvo and Zagato/Bertone. Zenvo is said to have an H5P dual-core processor built by Samsung, clocked at 1.23 gigahertz. It would also pack one gigabyte of RAM and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity.

1-yes-even-more-zagato-130719.jpg

Meanwhile, the Zagato/Bertone model would have a presumably more advanced H6P processor, as well as support for TDD 4G LTE. Observers note that this model would likely be the more expensive model of the two.

Both the Zenvo H5P chip and Zagato/Bertone H6P processor are shown to feature the same DDR part for RAM, giving both CPUs one gigabyte of memory. The clock speed or number of processing cores for the Zagato/Bertone H6P CPU was not included in the documents.

The supposedly leaked presentation also arrived alongside new images that appear to show plastic rear casings for low-cost iPhone models. These images are largely in keeping with previous views of a plastic iPhone.

1-more-zagato-130719.jpg

It is virtually impossible to completely ascertain the veracity of either the documents or the images, but a source tells AppleInsider that these could very well be legitimate documents related to real Apple products.

"I think these docs are real," this person said after examining them. "The terms make sense, what we can see here makes sense."

1-zagato-130719.jpg

The documents could be describing as many as three models of iPhone. One, according to the slides, is already in mass-production or is very close to mass production. That would be the Zenvo model described in the presentation. The documents are said to indicate that that model is going through electronic verification testing, in which the manufacturer ensures that all of the parts in the device are behaving correctly.

The Zagato/Bertone models, though, are still in the prototyping stages, according to the slides. There is apparently very little difference between Zagato and Bertone, so they could be models built for specific markets.

A low-cost iPhone has been rumored for some time, but over the past few years Apple has stuck to introducing one new model per year and making the older models more affordable. In the United States and other markets, this has proved successful, as Apple's lower-cost offerings often outsell flagships from other manufacturers.

The high end of the smartphone market, though, is thought to have become largely saturated over the past couple of years, and upgrades are slowing in many markets. The fastest growing markets are currently in developing economies, where consumers typically don't have the purchasing power to afford the premium price Apple charges for its handsets. A lower-cost model could help the Cupertino company address those markets without sacrificing much of the margin that investors have come to expect.
post #2 of 106
"I think these docs are real," this person said after examining them. "The terms make sense, what we can see here makes sense."
Actually, no. These documents make no sense at all.

After a multi-year process of moving to it's own processor design and further moving to manufacture it's own processors, Apple is going to use an off the shelf Samsung processor? This doesn't seem likely at all IMO.

Also, this same picture is being touted as a picture of "completely assembled iPhone lite's" almost everywhere else it's posted, when it's clearly just another shot of the very same plastic backs that we've already seen, and that are in fact, highly suspicious. We still haven't seen a picture of a working or fully assembled phone, and the CAD drawings for these backs have been floating around for half a year or more. Apple might indeed be making a cheap iPhone and it may indeed look similar to this, but this latest leak is both nothing new, and proves nothing at all.

Also, a child could see that the first diagram of "Zagato" is completely off. It's a mislabelled representation of an iPhone 5, but with the aspect ratio of an iPhone 4. I mean WTF? How could that ever be a real document that relates to an "iPhone lite"?
Edited by Gazoobee - 7/19/13 at 9:03am
post #3 of 106

Can't really see iPhone like that. Those stupid colors and a black Apple logo.  

post #4 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Apple might indeed be making a cheap iPhone and it may indeed look similar to this, but this latest leak is both nothing new, and proves nothing at all.

+1

And this was a terribly written article as well. It was hard to understand what was trying to be said, and the diagrams were just.... painful.

post #5 of 106
These articles on what is upcoming continually ignore a huge 'elephant in the room.' Apple is possibly going to be prohibited from selling those 'cheap older models' on August 5th by the trade commission.
If I were a smart company, I would make damn sure I had something else to sell by then. Thus, this continual mention of 'Apple only releases one model' is totally out of date. Apple needs a cheap model that does not infringe Samsung's patents, and if they are smart (they are), they will move mountains to get there.
The truth will set you free.
post #6 of 106
I don't know man, those colorful iPhones could very well be the real thing. We'll all know for sure soon enough.1smoking.gif
post #7 of 106
I wouldn't be surprised at all if, as part of Tim Cook's doubling-down on secrecy, if Apple had a department of disinformation. They are tasked to creating and perpetuating false tips about future products. It would keep Apple in the news, and promotes interest in Apple by keeping people guessing. And it would actually be a FUN JOB TO HAVE!
post #8 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

These articles on what is upcoming continually ignore a huge 'elephant in the room.' Apple is possibly going to be prohibited from selling those 'cheap older models' on August 5th by the trade commission.
If I were a smart company, I would make damn sure I had something else to sell by then. Thus, this continual mention of 'Apple only releases one model' is totally out of date. Apple needs a cheap model that does not infringe Samsung's patents, and if they are smart (they are), they will move mountains to get there.

Huh? Only older models were found to infringe, not any of the newer models. And that's only in the US. These phones are more for the international markets where more and more people choose pre-pay plans.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #9 of 106
This looks like pictures of some cases for iPhones, and info about some new Samsung models, perhaps. Weak tea.
post #10 of 106

The so-called "lite" model will be the new iPhone. The other model will be the iPhone Pro.

post #11 of 106
Why not iPhone Air?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

After a multi-year process of moving to it's own processor design and further moving to manufacture it's own processors, Apple is going to use an off the shelf Samsung processor? This doesn't seem likely at all IMO.

There are so many red flags with this article that it is not even funny. There is little-to-no evidence the iPhone Lite even exists aside from photos of a highly suspect case. I will chock the iPhone Lite into the same category as the fabled iPhone Mini.

post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclntgig View Post

I wouldn't be surprised at all if, as part of Tim Cook's doubling-down on secrecy, if Apple had a department of disinformation. They are tasked to creating and perpetuating false tips about future products. It would keep Apple in the news, and promotes interest in Apple by keeping people guessing. And it would actually be a FUN JOB TO HAVE!

That would be great.  "Tell everyone they are plastic and send these mock up pictures" then they come out in colored aluminum like the iPod Touches and surprise everyone for the better.

I really don't care about these "lites" one way or the other as a consumer because I won't be buying one.  Give me the full version please.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #14 of 106
The older models that infringe include the iPhone 4 and 4S, which even in the U.S. may represent half of Apple's sales. They need a replacement by Aug 5, or risk catastrophic loss of sales.
post #15 of 106
This is hideous design not like Apple at all. I really hope they produce a decent cheaper iPhone. The back of my iPod Touch 5th Generation is beautiful. Why not including something similar? Also I hope they will introduce an iPhone with a 4.8-5 inch screen.
post #16 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Huh? Only older models were found to infringe, not any of the newer models. And that's only in the US. These phones are more for the international markets where more and more people choose pre-pay plans.

The older models are the iphone 4 and 4S, which are half the phones that Apple is currently selling in the U.S. Losing the ability to sell these phones either here or internationallly is a catastrophe. They need a substitute by Aug 5.

post #17 of 106
Those code names sound ridiculous. Sounds like something Samesung would come up with. But for Apple? No way.
post #18 of 106
Quote:

The older models are the iphone 4 and 4S, which are half the phones that Apple is currently selling in the U.S. Losing the ability to sell these phones either here or internationallly is a catastrophe. They need a substitute by Aug 5.

Not only that but I think Apple would like to standardize the dock connector, ios7 compatibility and screen size of its lineup as soon as they possibly can.

post #19 of 106
Quote:

The older models that infringe include the iPhone 4 and 4S, which even in the U.S. may represent half of Apple's sales. They need a replacement by Aug 5, or risk catastrophic loss of sales.

No, the older models found to infringe were only the AT&T model 3GS and 4. Basically by later this year they won't be selling the 4 anymore anyway. Hardly some catastrophic loss as you claim. Get your facts right before spreading FUD.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/04/uk-apple-samsung-patent-idUKBRE9531AJ20130604

The U.S. International Trade Commission, an independent federal agency, issued a limited order stopping all imports and sales for AT&T models of the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 3G and iPad 2 3G. The versions targeted are more than a year old but are still solid sellers.

post #20 of 106
Curious choice of code names. Why names of a car company Zenvo, a high performance car coach designer Zagato and a high performance car designer Bertone?
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #21 of 106
1GB!!! Are you kiding!
post #22 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The so-called "lite" model will be the new iPhone. The other model will be the iPhone Pro.

omg dont say that,  you risk killing a few fanbois here. imo the high end phone will still used a superior shell, not a plastic one.   Unless those color shells are made with a new state of the art material and not regular plastic, I dont think the high end phone will use them. 

post #23 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

This is hideous design not like Apple at all. I really hope they produce a decent cheaper iPhone. The back of my iPod Touch 5th Generation is beautiful. Why not including something similar? Also I hope they will introduce an iPhone with a 4.8-5 inch screen.

Its hard to judge the quality of those shells on a fussy pic especially since those also looks to have a protective thin plastic layer.

post #24 of 106

I find this interesting because its the first leaks of possible internals for the iphone lites.  After so many different leaks, you guys better start getting used to those shells, looks legitimate to me.

BTW those CPU names could just be code names for tweaked A5 and A6 CPU's. Make senses they will be made by Samsung, they are already making them.

I find it interesting Apple is keeping 1gb across all price point. The must feel they need to this to insure iOS upgrades for the next 2 years. What I am expecting for a low cost iphone, is it still will be able to support the next iOS upgrades and that all parts will be balance for a consistent user experience. This is why I think Apple could price them a little above the average prices of the a segment.

Edited by herbapou - 7/19/13 at 10:47am
post #25 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

yes, but.  putting these out as the .99 cent phones (to replace the 4s)  for the US carriers makes sense for

1) getting to a common connector

2) flushing an old technology baseline out of the queue  faster (iOS7 is probably most limited by iPhone 4 and 4s)

better graphics to handle the more complex paralax work

better wifi and LTE support

better CPU (but not samsung crap... a real CPU)

3) eliminating a form factor (the 4/4s geometry) which in the end will allow a new iphone geometry [5"?] in the future.

Having a phone in hand to deal with the US restrictions makes good business sense.  having it be a world phone makes good financial sense.

post #26 of 106
Is it just me, or do other Apple fans have money burning a hole in their pocket? Seems like I have been waiting much longer to spend than ever before. I have an expired contract in my family plan begging for the next gen iPhone. My arm is tired of the weight of my iPad 3 and I want a Mini, but not the outgoing gen. My iMac is long overdue for replacement but since I'll keep it as long as the last one I don't want the last rev of a three year-old design. When I get these I'll be ready to take advantage of the new spec AirPort base station, probably even getting the one with Time Machine built in to save on desk top clutter. And my AppleTV is ready for whatever is next in that realm.

In short, I am a one-man tidal wave of personal spending just waiting to break. Come on, already!
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #27 of 106

Yes the details and facts in this article are very dubious. But I think it is highly likely that Apple will offer a more affordable iPhone. The normal iPhone will likely have 2GB ram and more storage and other advantages like a faster CPU/GPU. Apple knows they need a mid range phone to expand and there is still plenty of room for a nice fat margin. I expect it to cost around $450 off contract with no subsidies. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #28 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Can't really see iPhone like that. Those stupid colors and a black Apple logo.  

Can we hold you to that?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

No.
post #30 of 106
While parts of this rumor look feasible others are questionable
Production has most likely started as time is running short. As for the 1GB of RAMM this is also a reasonable deduction as this low end IPhone still has to have reasonable functionality
post #31 of 106
Quote:

Why not say it a third time?
post #32 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Those code names sound ridiculous. Sounds like something Samesung would come up with. But for Apple? No way.
m

Code names are soooooo important after all?
post #33 of 106
Quote:

Just because something makes sense, doesn't make it SO.

post #34 of 106
Quote:

Of devices currently being sold, it only affects the AT&T 4S.

Not really a catastrophe.

post #35 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why not say it a third time?

Especially when they were wrong about which models were being banned both times they made their post.

post #36 of 106

Apple would not call a LED light a "Strobe".  That is a very different type of light and much better for photos, but not useful for video.

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #37 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Of devices currently being sold, it only affects the AT&T 4S.

Not really a catastrophe.

No, of the current devices being sold it only affects the AT&T 4. The ban was on the AT&T 3GS and 4.

post #38 of 106
@gazoobee +1
post #39 of 106
Quote:

The August 5 date I'm sure has to do with importation.  On the models to which the ruling applies, that's likely the last day they can bring more production into the USA but not when they have to stop selling those models.

post #40 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

There are so many red flags with this article that it is not even funny. There is little-to-no evidence the iPhone Lite even exists aside from photos of a highly suspect case. I will chock the iPhone Lite into the same category as the fabled iPhone Mini.

I agree, but with the caveat that at various times, both the iPhone mini, and now the "iPhone cheapo" (lite) have made some kind of sense.  For that reason I wouldn't categorically rule either of them out.  

the main argument for the existence of the cheaper iPhone for example is the fact that the upper end of the market is growing saturated, and the fact that there are valid reasons to go for market share at this exact point in time, even though Apple traditionally doesn't chase market share.  Those are factually based reasons why Apple might come out with such a device, but Apple historically has a blind spot in exactly those areas and I'll believe it only when I see it.  

I would agree that there is somewhere between scant, and no evidence at all yet that they are actually doing it.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production