or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production - Page 3

post #81 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


Those aren't phones. They're iMacs from 12 years ago.

 

Nothing gets by you.  1smile.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Your point would be more persuasive if you used the current-gen iPod Touches as your example not ancient iMacs.

 

Maybe both to further show that Apple has a history of brightly colored devices?  iPhones in bright colors certainly wouldn't be a huge departure in design for Apple like some seem to think.

post #82 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The so-called "lite" model will be the new iPhone. The other model will be the iPhone Pro.

I think they would go more with the iPad naming scheme. iPhone Mini and iPhone 

I think they will call it iPhone.

IPhone, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S

So Late 2013 iPhone would be the documentation name while calling it iPhone for everything else.
post #83 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post


I think they will call it iPhone.

IPhone, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S

So Late 2013 iPhone would be the documentation name while calling it iPhone for everything else.

 

I like that more actually. "I have an iPhone" "I have an iPhone 6" Putting that trailing number shows just how new your higher end iPhone is. 

post #84 of 106
If they do not simply call it iPhone, it will likely be a letter designation. The most likely is iPhone E, for entry.
post #85 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

If they do not simply call it iPhone, it will likely be a letter designation. The most likely is iPhone E, for entry.

Who would buy an iPhone E where the E stands for entry? very unlikely 

post #86 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

The older models are the iphone 4 and 4S, which are half the phones that Apple is currently selling in the U.S. Losing the ability to sell these phones either here or internationallly is a catastrophe. They need a substitute by Aug 5.

 

Except, the 4S isn't included, which makes your entire conclusion moot. 

post #87 of 106

I like it. I think the colors are great for the youth market. I still want my high end materials but there are many more young people in the world than old people like me. Have you noticed the new bicycle colors lately? This looks real to me. It goes along with the fresh new HTML5 websites using those same colors. Check out: http://foundation.zurb.com or http://zurb.com these are the new mobile coding tools, same colors.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #88 of 106
Instead of "iPhone Pro" for the high-end, what if Apple followed their current naming scheme, and added an "S" at the end?

So you'd have the plastic iPhone (late 2013) and the high-end iPhone S (late 2013).
post #89 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



Not sure what's atrocious about them. 

 

The plastic...

post #90 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I agree... and I don't see either as very likely.  Thoughts?

 

Thompson

 

Apple could make a plastic iPhone thinner than the 5. The thinnest phone in the world is all plastic!

 

So if Apple were to make the purported plastic iPhone thinner then I would agree with those who think it should be called "iPhone Air," but as it stands now all the rumors are pointing to a thicker phone with an aluminum chassis which makes no sense.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

I think they would go more with the iPad naming scheme. iPhone Mini and iPhone 

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

If they do not simply call it iPhone, it will likely be a letter designation. The most likely is iPhone E, for entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Who would buy an iPhone E where the E stands for entry? very unlikely 

 

If the phone ends up looking like these cheap nasty plastic mockups I think it could be called the "iPhone Color" to reflect the youth inspired colors.

 

If the phone is aluminum with a rounded back maybe it'll just be called the iPhone or the iPhone Classic, since that design language would harken back to the original iPhone 1.

post #91 of 106
Agree on the Apple chip. It would make no sense financially for them to use someone else's IP in a less lucratively priced device. The economics say baloney.

The colours are dreadful. I can't see Apple selecting these. Speculation: they are counterfeit devices, or the shells are fake to fool over-zealous reporters.
Edited by y2an - 7/19/13 at 9:31pm
post #92 of 106
I am doubtful about this (apple pairs A6-1gb ram) I think it is more likely to have a A5, who knows since it is instantly "not the latest" when released a A6 might go with A7 in between?

For those assuming that I expect more than 1 Gb ram on A7 are a little bit off, I hope for more major speed improvements not ram (still possible) please note apple goes and extreme and could go up to 4 core-2 ghz and 2 gb ram on A7.
post #93 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I am doubtful about this (apple pairs A6-1gb ram) I think it is more likely to have a A5, who knows since it is instantly "not the latest" when released a A6 might go with A7 in between?

For those assuming that I expect more than 1 Gb ram on A7 are a little bit off, I hope for more major speed improvements not ram (still possible) please note apple goes and extreme and could go up to 4 core-2 ghz and 2 gb ram on A7.

I agree on A7.

The A7 could be such a huge improvement that using the A6 in the affordable phone would still be a huge downgrade.

Another benefit to using the A6 in the affordable iPhone is the cheap iPhone will have another 2 years of OS upgrades rather than 1.
post #94 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Another benefit to using the A6 in the affordable iPhone is the cheap iPhone will have another 2 years of OS upgrades rather than 1.

I thought only Microsoft was guilty of bloatware? 

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #95 of 106
Wait a minute, will the low-spec version of the iPhone result in *gasp* fragmentation ??

I mean, a low spec version of the iPhone will mean app designers will need to program for multiple devices' capabilities, no?
post #96 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Where did he get his mechanical engineering degree?

Oh, wait. He didn't.


Granted.  Though I thought I qualified it as his admitted personal opinion fairly well in the first place. 

 

And as for moi, whadda I know about it?  Nada, but found the speculation about the possible effect of the body material on screen fragility in a fall interesting enough - even though he's just another tech writer/podcaster - to pass on where some real tech nerds might have more insight than I to support or refute it with actually known engineering knowledge.

I also don't have a real grasp of the characteristics of liquid metal, though the recent story about possibly ramping up production to volume quantities soon was of interest to me, since it's so highly touted by many.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #97 of 106

1 Gb of RAM when everybody has 2 Gb? Major FAIL Apple!

post #98 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I am doubtful about this (apple pairs A6-1gb ram) I think it is more likely to have a A5, who knows since it is instantly "not the latest" when released a A6 might go with A7 in between?

For those assuming that I expect more than 1 Gb ram on A7 are a little bit off, I hope for more major speed improvements not ram (still possible) please note apple goes and extreme and could go up to 4 core-2 ghz and 2 gb ram on A7.

If they go A6+1gb ram with the new budget iphone, where does that leave the iphone5? I think that it makes sense that this may simply be a redesigned 4s sporting LTE, both to standardise the screen size and lightning connector. 

post #99 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Wait a minute, will the low-spec version of the iPhone result in *gasp* fragmentation ??

I mean, a low spec version of the iPhone will mean app designers will need to program for multiple devices' capabilities, no?

It will probably be faster than the 4s, and will run iOs7. Fragmentation in the Android world is generally OS fragmentation, if most of the population is on a older version of the OS you cant program for all of them and use new features. Screen size isn't really an issue because Android handles that quite well. The other issue is that some API just don't work. In my company the Android guys are getting grief over their app not running on some machines. Looking into it, its just the API doesn't work on those machines because the API - in this case to read the external filesysystem API, SD cards etc - needs to have some native code for different file system types. Many manufacturers don't bother, so the API fails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

1 Gb of RAM when everybody has 2 Gb? Major FAIL Apple!

Its a cheap phone with double the RAM of the 4S - the top phone this time last year. iOS just needs less memory than Android - its a compiled OS not a VM.
Edited by asdasd - 7/20/13 at 7:34am
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #100 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

If they go A6+1gb ram with the new budget iphone, where does that leave the iphone5? I think that it makes sense that this may simply be a redesigned 4s sporting LTE, both to standardise the screen size and lightning connector. 

If they go to a model lineup they will probably stop selling last years models, except to clear their channel inventory and as refurb devices.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #101 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRuiiz View Post

1GB!!! Are you kiding!

What's that? The same amount of RAM as in the iPhone 5 right now? HOW HORRIBLE. 1oyvey.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

1 Gb of RAM when everybody has 2 Gb? Major FAIL Apple!

You forgot your /s. It's really necessary, since, as above, people actually believe that stupidity.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #102 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by armadaexpress View Post

Bertone is a concept car that was designed as a possible replacement for the Corvette ZR-1 and Zagato is a coach-builder/ auto design firm. Either the individual(s) responsible for these documents loves cars, these documents are fake, or a mixture of both are true.

Bertoné is also a coach builder.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9 - designed by Bertoné

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2006/01/01/hmn_feature10.html - the Bertoné Volvo coupé.

 

Someone does seem to like cars.

post #103 of 106

I think it's an Apple misinformation campaign. Which means they also are noting sources, and that won't bode well for their futures… I can't imagine Apple releasing anything so fugly, even "cheap" devices.

 

Maybe an 'iPhone lite' is in the works. Or maybe the 4S will just move to be the new, cheaper "lite" version…? Perhaps with a new plastic back instead of glass?

 

But then I also think the "iWatch" trademark registrations are not for a wearable wrist-bound device… Maybe something called an 'iWatch' is on the way, but perhaps it's a TV Monitor instead of a wearable device?

 

 

Only one thing I know for absolute certain. We won't learn anything new from those hideous charts! >:D

post #104 of 106
I may seen the iPhone 6 being tested in New York! It is little bigger (not as big as Samsung 4S) and have a curved back. Don't know why ear phone hole and front face camera are separate by almost 1 inch apart! I looked on the back side, Apple logo is covered, but seen bigger.
post #105 of 106
Im confused.
What was big, the smaller or the bigger, or was there a biggerer one ?
The Samsung was the biggerist, right ?
Edited by RobM - 7/21/13 at 1:31am
post #106 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeliu58 View Post

I may seen the iPhone 6 being tested in New York! It is little bigger (not as big as Samsung 4S) and have a curved back. Don't know why ear phone hole and front face camera are separate by almost 1 inch apart! I looked on the back side, Apple logo is covered, but seen bigger.

I think you saw a Galaxy S3. Yes it does look like a big iPhone with a curved back and yes the earphone hole and camera are oddly placed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Documents claim Apple's 'iPhone Lite' will pack 1GB RAM, is already in mass production