or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple developer website outage lingers for more than a day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple developer website outage lingers for more than a day

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
An outage of Apple's Dev Center website has persisted for the last day, prompting developers to wonder when the online resource will return.

Dev


Numerous developers began to reach out to AppleInsider on Thursday, when the Apple Dev Center sites for iOS and OS X first went offline. As the outage carried into Friday, the number of developers concerned about the downtime only grew.

A number of developers said they can't remember an outage that's lasted as long as the one currently in effect. During the period, the site has displayed a message telling developers that it will "be back soon."

"This site is undergoing maintenance for an extended period today," the iOS and OS X sites read. "Thanks for your patience."

During the downtime, a number of developers also took to Twitter to discuss the unusual length of unavailability. Some developers voiced complaints that they have been unable to access the resources Apple makes available through the site.

"Pretty astonished that we're now beyond 24 hours of Apple iOS Dev Center maintenance downtime," Jonathan Ozeran wrote on Twitter Friday afternoon. "Haven't seen that before. #HugeInconvenience"
post #2 of 45

FYI, the reason why the site being down is a big deal to developers is because you need it to do some important tasks like creating new apps to deploy to testers, adding more test devices, updating expired development certificates, and updating app store information.  

 

I've been lucky that I haven't needed to add any new QA or client devices for my apps, but if I had a client waiting for a build to run, this would be a big problem.

post #3 of 45
Likely, the reason developer site is down for so long is because it takes a long time to upload the sample code that should have been available at WWDC.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #4 of 45
My guess: They took it down to update to a new version of XCode 5 to support the latest iOS and Mavericks SDK but then found a significant bug in one of those and had to hold mid-process.
post #5 of 45
My guess - Apple is doomed!!
post #6 of 45
I know for a fact that there is a new version of the bug reporting tool. It was online for a day or two before WWDC and then reverted to the old version. I would imagine they are bringing that online for an official release, and maybe upgrading some of the other tools for managing iOS and Mac App Store submissions.
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
Reply
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
Reply
post #7 of 45

Did they seriously use a drop shadow on that text?

post #8 of 45
It has actually really set me back, I needed to download Xcode yesterday and couldn't, and still can't.
post #9 of 45

It's back online now...

post #10 of 45

Still down for me...

post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It has actually really set me back, I needed to download Xcode yesterday and couldn't, and still can't.

 

Funny, I downloaded it from the App Store last night to one of my reserve Macs.

post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

 

Funny, I downloaded it from the App Store last night to one of my reserve Macs.

 

 

PMZ is probably looking for Xcode 5 Developer Preview 3 version.

post #13 of 45
Are you a developer? You get Xcode from the Mac App Store now, not from the developer website. Just go there and download it.
post #14 of 45
He is talking about XCode 5 beta not the one on the App Store.
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It has actually really set me back, I needed to download Xcode yesterday and couldn't, and still can't.

 

Uh, you heard of torrents? It can easily be found. 

 

Also, you'd think they would have updated some of their online assets by now to get rid of stuff like the linen. It's not like it takes that long. 

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

It's back online now...

 

Still down for me...

post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

FYI, the reason why the site being down is a big deal to developers is because you need it to do some important tasks like creating new apps to deploy to testers, adding more test devices, updating expired development certificates, and updating app store information.  

I've been lucky that I haven't needed to add any new QA or client devices for my apps, but if I had a client waiting for a build to run, this would be a big problem.

Maybe just maybe developers should realize what takes place when a web site goes through a major overhaul. It is one thing for Joe Blow not to understand the technology but developers really have no excuse and should be able to give Apple a reasonable allotment of time here.
post #18 of 45
The only problem I faced with this was last night when I needed to information about an iOS 7 API. Then I remembered that I already downloaded support docs using Xcode. So it wasn't a problem.
 
Can you renew provisioning profiles and certificates with xcode or does it give an error since the site is down?
 
EDIT: Tried to create new profile in xcode and got "Request Time Out".. Seems the entire service is down.

Edited by NasserAE - 7/19/13 at 4:01pm
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Maybe just maybe developers should realize what takes place when a web site goes through a major overhaul. It is one thing for Joe Blow not to understand the technology but developers really have no excuse and should be able to give Apple a reasonable allotment of time here.

 

Are you kidding me?  As a developer I know exactly how important up time is.  And why you need to have redundancy for availability.  You don't just bring a site down and not have a backup plan if deployment fails midway.  This is why Apple has a lot to learn to master cloud computing.

post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

 

Are you kidding me?  As a developer I know exactly how important up time is.  And why you need to have redundancy for availability.  You don't just bring a site down and not have a backup plan if deployment fails midway.  This is why Apple has a lot to learn to master cloud computing.

 

And as a developer I am sure you understand that $h!t happens!

post #21 of 45
I am starting to suspect that there is more than site maintenance to this long outage...

It could be that a new DP release (due Monday) contains APIs that support unannounced hardware or software... Or, it could be related to Apple's recent purchases of mapping companies.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe just maybe developers should realize what takes place when a web site goes through a major overhaul. It is one thing for Joe Blow not to understand the technology but developers really have no excuse and should be able to give Apple a reasonable allotment of time here.

 

Quite the contrary.

 

Experienced enterprise website developers fully understand the need to have instant rollover to a new version, and quick rollback to a previous working version if necessary.   And, of course, geographic redundancy.

 

There is no absolutely excuse for a company as big as Apple... especially with its own giant server farm(s)... to have websites that are down for normal maintenance or changes.   Zero.  None.   It's like watching amateurs when they bring down their online store just to update it.

 

(My group has been doing major corporate web server based apps for a decade and a half.  You could measure our server down time -- to our customers -- in just a handful of minutes per year.   It's the doctrine of the five nines... 99.999% uptime.)

 

Now, if there was some really unforeseeable mass failure of parts across multiple sites, then we can cut some slack.

 

Yet, even so, remember how so many here knocked Microsoft (rightfully so) for the Sidekick server failure debacle?  Or whenever RIM's servers blow up?


Edited by KDarling - 7/19/13 at 7:36pm
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

And as a developer I am sure you understand that $h!t happens!


I was going to google what you meant by $h!t happens! but the google site was down. I suppose these things happen.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

There is no absolutely excuse for a company as big as Apple... especially with its own giant server farm(s)... to have websites that are down for normal maintenance or changes.   Zero.  None.   It's like watching amateurs when they bring down their online store just to update it.

 

 

Amateurs???

 

Trust me, it is not the end of the world, and there IS an excuse for it!


Edited by chadmatic - 7/19/13 at 9:03pm
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


I was going to google what you meant by $h!t happens! but the google site was down. I suppose these things happen.

 

I just googled it and the results aren't even close to what I was implying.

post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Think about this for a moment...  When you move from one house to another, or say from one city to another, there is a small period of time in between when you are at neither the new location or the old location.  That is what is happening here.  

 

I've been doing such updates for many years.

 

It's not even close to being like being between houses.  Computer programs are not like individual pieces of furniture.  

 

Programs can be in two places at once.  Done right, both old and new are in the same fully prepared state, and all you're doing is invisibly directing visitors to the new place.

 

If something goes wrong, you invisibly direct them back to the working version while you figure things out.

 

It's like having two radio stations... a primary and a backup.

post #27 of 45
Noticed it to (not a developer but had developer site open in a tab)

It seemed a weird feeling that it was down random time, wonder what's happening.
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

I've been doing such updates for many years.

 

It's not even close to being like being between houses.  Computer programs are not like individual pieces of furniture.  

 

Programs can be in two places at once.  Done right, both old and new are in the same fully prepared state, and all you're doing is invisibly directing visitors to the new place.

 

If something goes wrong, you invisibly direct them back to the working version while you figure things out.

 

It's like having two radio stations... a primary and a backup.

 

You are pretty much wasting your breath.  As a developer, I agree - it is pretty much mind blowing that a vital asset of one of the biggest tech companies on earth has been offline for this long.  But there are plenty of people here who are unable to be objective, and arguing the point with them is simply not productive.

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

I've been doing such updates for many years.

 

It's not even close to being like being between houses.  Computer programs are not like individual pieces of furniture.  

 

Programs can be in two places at once.  Done right, both old and new are in the same fully prepared state, and all you're doing is invisibly directing visitors to the new place.

 

If something goes wrong, you invisibly direct them back to the working version while you figure things out.

 

It's like having two radio stations... a primary and a backup.

 

I have a feeling that the issue is quite a bit more complicated than simply switching between a primary and a backup.

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

You are pretty much wasting your breath.  As a developer, I agree - it is pretty much mind blowing that a vital asset of one of the biggest tech companies on earth has been offline for this long.

It happened, welcome to reality!
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

 

I have a feeling that the issue is quite a bit more complicated than simply switching between a primary and a backup.


Well.. having a backup is one thing, being able to restore the backup is another thing.

post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

I know for a fact that there is a new version of the bug reporting tool. It was online for a day or two before WWDC and then reverted to the old version. I would imagine they are bringing that online for an official release, and maybe upgrading some of the other tools for managing iOS and Mac App Store submissions.

You mean to say that it's not going to look like something from the 90s anymore? 1smile.gif
post #33 of 45
This should be Cook's #1 priority...fixing Apple's cloud problems. They're not even close to being in the same league as Amazon, Google or Microsoft when it comes to the cloud. 1oyvey.gif
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This should be Cook's #1 priority...fixing Apple's cloud problems. They're not even close to being in the same league as Amazon, Google or Microsoft when it comes to the cloud. 1oyvey.gif

Is it even possible to have a company that is best as hardware, software and cloud? Do the different things require a different corporate culture? Is there just a limited number of people who are good at each, and Apple has the hardware people, Microsoft has the software people, and Google has the cloud people?

 

I completely agree with your point but Apple's cloud services have been so unforgivably bad for so long I am starting to wonder if what we want is even possible.

post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

I have a feeling that the issue is quite a bit more complicated than simply switching between a primary and a backup.

that system is designed to reduce complexity and failures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is it even possible to have a company that is best as hardware, software and cloud? Do the different things require a different corporate culture? Is there just a limited number of people who are good at each, and Apple has the hardware people, Microsoft has the software people, and Google has the cloud people?

I completely agree with your point but Apple's cloud services have been so unforgivably bad for so long I am starting to wonder if what we want is even possible.

Apple's OS team can easily shift people from iOS to OS X and to different projects since - some specialisations apart - its mostly objective C.

Cloud skills are something else entirely.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is it even possible to have a company that is best as hardware, software and cloud? Do the different things require a different corporate culture? Is there just a limited number of people who are good at each, and Apple has the hardware people, Microsoft has the software people, and Google has the cloud people?

I completely agree with your point but Apple's cloud services have been so unforgivably bad for so long I am starting to wonder if what we want is even possible.
Quite honestly I don't think Steve Jobs gave a crap about the cloud. And if he didn't care about something it probably didn't get the attention it deserved. I hope Tim Cook puts more effort around it.
post #37 of 45
Steve Jobs' body in coffin start to stirring...
/s

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Reply

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Reply
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is it even possible to have a company that is best as hardware, software and cloud? Do the different things require a different corporate culture? Is there just a limited number of people who are good at each, and Apple has the hardware people, Microsoft has the software people, and Google has the cloud people?

 

I completely agree with your point but Apple's cloud services have been so unforgivably bad for so long I am starting to wonder if what we want is even possible.

I am amazed, can people really say this. Maybe there is something you don't like about the way Apple's cloud serves youBut Apples cloud service is used by 10s (maybe 100s) of millions of people all the time and they don't even know it. It is used to back up complicated computer software (on the iPhone and iPad) serve billions of apps and their updates, provide device location services, iTunes Match (which just works), maps services (which despite the media broo ha ha is a fairly amazing service to just roll out as they did), etc. etc. Check out the latest iWorks beta in the cloud. They provide the most ubiquitous and functional consumer cloud implementation out there, and to suggest otherwise says more about you.

 

That being said, I wish the damn developer site was back up ;)

post #39 of 45

It seems that Apple does not work on the weekends. That's too bad because app developers do work on the weekends and this weekend many of us are stuck on issues in iOS 7 that we cannot solve without access to the dev center.
 

post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

It seems that Apple does not work on the weekends.

Yep¡

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple developer website outage lingers for more than a day