or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Latest iPad-bashing Microsoft ad focuses on peripherals, new Surface RT price point

Latest iPad-bashing Microsoft ad focuses on peripherals, new Surface RT price point

post #1 of 99
It seems Microsoft is becoming increasingly aggressive in pushing its Surface tablet lineup, and on Friday released a new ad targeting the iPad's lack of keyboard, USB slot and high cost compared to the recently discounted Surface RT.

Surface RT Ad

The commercial starts out with Apple's Siri virtual assistant saying, "Oh no, here we go again," referencing what has become an anti-iPad campaign Microsoft kicked off in May. Microsoft's latest spot once again breaks down the iPad's feature set, contrasting it with that of the Surface RT running a stripped down version of Windows 8.

First up is the Surface RT's built-in kickstand, a feature the iPad lacks unless users spring for a $39 for the polyurethane Smart Cover which doubles as a prop for the tablet. Next, Apple's decision to not include a USB port directly into the iPad's chassis was attacked. iPad owners can buy an adapter for $29 if needed.

One of the Surface RT's major selling points is the ability to connect a "real keyboard" to the unit via the magnetic bottom docking system. Here, of course, Microsoft uses small print to mention its keyboard-cum-cover is optional and tacks on $100 to the Surface RT's price.

Finally, the commercial ends in the same manner as previous Surface ads, showing the $250 price discrepancy between the two tablets.

Microsoft apparently worked fast to get out the latest Surface ad, as the company just this week slashed the price of its RT models by $150.

The Redmond, Wash., company is hurting after taking a write down of $900 million for the Surface RT, which has struggled to gain a foothold in the mobile market against stiff competition from Apple's iPad lineup and a bevy of inexpensive Android-based devices. As a result of the huge write down, Microsoft stock dropped by 12 percent during Friday trading, worth about $36 billion in market value, in the company's biggest drop since 2000.
post #2 of 99

Won't work.

post #3 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Won't work.

Agreed. It won't change the fact customers do not want Windows RT-based devices.

post #4 of 99
Embarrassing.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #5 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

keyboard-cum-cover

Stay classy, AI.

post #6 of 99
Ask Samsung, these tricks don't work. The average person has no need for a USB on the iPad taking up space and making it ugly (I do still think you're cure, Siri.) I would be mad if I bought the RT for $500 a week ago and now it's $350. The iPad is still light years ahead.
post #7 of 99

Just bought a new Tablet, it cost $800, I had to buy a connector for my camera it cost $35 and an $80 leather smart cover.

I'm glad I bought an iPad and not some other POS pretender.

I was wondering whether to buy a "sold separately" keyboard, like Microsoft have in the fine print in the ad. 

Edited by hill60 - 7/19/13 at 2:49pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #8 of 99
"The commercial starts out with Apple's Siri virtual assistant saying, "Oh no, here we go again," referencing what has become an anti-iPad campaign Microsoft kicked off in May."

Actually, that should read, "...what has become a disastrously unsuccessful anti-iPad campaign..."
post #9 of 99
Maybe if MS sold one operating system that worked instead of Home, Business, Ultimate, etc. I guess they want to give the user options to choose (a/k/a - get the shaft)
post #10 of 99
Not many want a keyboard on this type of device but for those that do there are options. If someone did want a keyboard and other interfaces, why get a Surface? Instead just get an Air or a Dell laptop, etc. Much better solutions than a tablet for that kind of access.
post #11 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaylon View Post

Ask Samsung, these tricks don't work. The average person has no need for a USB on the iPad taking up space and making it ugly (I do still think you're cure, Siri.) I would be mad if I bought the RT for $500 a week ago and now it's $350. The iPad is still light years ahead.

The average consumer could benefit from a USB port because it would make for a cheaper cord for charging and connecting to other devices as opposed to proprietary connectors which cost much more and get changed every few years.  Funny how the ad doesn't touch that though and instead opts for the additional storage argument (which is significantly weaker). 

Using a thumb drive to add additional storage to a mobile device signals to me that the mobile device itself is lacking in storage space.  My phone has tons of storage space and can act like a thumb drive when I need one.  The approach that MS takes in this ad just further proves how clueless they are when it comes to mobile computing.

post #12 of 99
keyboard-cum-cover
post #13 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Stay classy, AI.

The term is correct, although possibly a double entendre.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cum

post #14 of 99

I don't think that Microsoft was in that big a hurry. They knew they were in trouble a long time ago!

post #15 of 99
People don't need a kickstand right on there device. Many cases, including Apple's own Smart Cover and Smart Case, can stand the iPad up.
There is no need for USB considering all of the cloud capabilities.
A real keyboard is not better because the keys can not be changed by the software.
post #16 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Guess it's just me that needs to clean up their dirty mind then.  lol.gif

post #17 of 99
Quote:

The average consumer could benefit from a USB port because it would make for a cheaper cord for charging and connecting to other devices as opposed to proprietary connectors which cost much more and get changed every few years.  Funny how the ad doesn't touch that though and instead opts for the additional storage argument (which is significantly weaker). 

Using a thumb drive to add additional storage to a mobile device signals to me that the mobile device itself is lacking in storage space.  My phone has tons of storage space and can act like a thumb drive when I need one.  The approach that MS takes in this ad just further proves how clueless they are when it comes to mobile computing.

Charge/sync cables are pretty cheap for iOS devices, even certified MFi lightning cables so I don't see that as a huge deal (any more, not as much the case when the first Lightning devices were released). Now, if you lose one and need one right away in an emergency situation, they would likely be more (but even standard USB cables can be depending on where you go or the brand you get).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=iphone+cable

Perhaps the first of this series of adverts was a bit cute, now it's just getting old. I really don't think many are clamoring for a kickstand. If they are, there are plenty of third party add-ons for iOS devices, including very nice keyboard covers.

post #18 of 99

Wo, this is so terribly, terribly bad and misleading.  It skirts the border of false advertising.  

The price comparison leaves out the fact that you need to buy the typing cover extra for the surface, yet describes it as a major feature.  On the other hand one of the "major" points they make against the iPad is that it can't stand up, but if they included the iPad cover, of course it can.  Also, while they include the keyboard accessory for the Surface in order to say that it comes with a keyboard, they don't include or mention the fact that the iPad has a USB accessory that will make it read the USB stick.  It's completely twisted, purposely misleading and basically comparing Apple's to Oranges. 

post #19 of 99
Quote:

Guess it's just me that needs to clean up their dirty mind then.  lol.gif

I don't think it's just you. I thought they were hinting at the device's capabilities to display pr0n :)

post #20 of 99
They should give Wondows tablets away free to people who buy Windows phones. Then drop out of the tablet business and fix Windows Mobile. Maybe pay some developers to design much needed apps. Tell Nokia to put the phones on diets and stop slandering the competition because it just makes them look weaker.
post #21 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

First up is the Surface RT's built-in kickstand, a feature the iPad lacks unless users spring for a $39 for the polyurethane Smart Cover which doubles as a prop for the tablet.

I'm actually not a big fan of the smart cover, as I prefer to keep all my Apple devices bare, just like I prefer women to be, as long as they are attractive. Apple devices look far too nice to cover up.

I use Arkon stands for my iPads and have bought three of them so far. They can be had for less than 9 dollars on Amazon, and probably even less than that on ebay. They look ok and they work pretty good, allowing you to choose a whole bunch of different angles, and they support both landscape and portrait of course. Far better than any lame kickstand built into a tablet.
post #22 of 99
I can't believe Microsoft called that a "real keyboard". There's about 56,024 keyboard accessories for the iPad that work and feel better than that garbage. Yes, I've tried it extensively- it's absolute garbage. Worse than both a physical and touch keyboard, because it requires a fair bit of pressure to register, with almost no feedback. It's just insanely tiring to use.
post #23 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can't believe Microsoft called that a "real keyboard". There's about 56,024 keyboard accessories for the iPad that work and feel better than that garbage. Yes, I've tried it extensively- it's absolute garbage. Worse than both a physical and touch keyboard, because it requires a fair bit of pressure to register, with almost no feedback. It's just insanely tiring to use.
And all the MS fanboys say this is the real Smart Cover compared to Apple's dumb cover. Clearly anyone tha wants to do extensive typing on the keyboard won't be very productive with the touch cover. Certainly not worth $120.
post #24 of 99
As for this latest lame MS ad attacking Apple, how much did they lose on the Surface again? Almost a billion dollars so far?

The consumers have spoken, and nobody wants this terrible MS tablet, and it doesn't matter how cheap they price it. We have seen what has happened to other tablets that have had desperate firesales, tablets that were all touted as iPad Killers. They're all dead now, and even if you bought one for $99, that is still a hundred dollars down the drain. Who wants to invest in a dead end platform?

Microsoft should have read this forum many months ago, and they should have listened to the people here who predicted it's failure, and they could have saved their money.
post #25 of 99
Is the Surface even able to talk? Seems like it's only Siri talking. I wonder how good of advertising approach is that.
post #26 of 99
What I find sad is that if Micro$oft would figure out a way to get full versions of Office on the iPad, they could probably make $900 million. I know some of you are anti everything Micro$oft, but enterprises would likely embrace Office apps on the iPad. But I guess it means more to Micro$oft to break into the tablet market (which they never will) than to make profits for their shareholders...
post #27 of 99
Did they also forget to mention that 32gb vs 32gb is not the same thing? Or was that also in print so small I missed it.

They should have compared a 32gb Surface RT to a 16gb iPad Mini since that 32gb Surface only gives you 15gb of actual storage.
post #28 of 99
Hm. MS forgot to mention the Surface doesn't come with a Lightning port...
post #29 of 99
Quote:

Yes, but it's funnier that way.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 99
How the heck am I always post #31...?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 99

ah, i see MS stock took a 13% nosedive today - and this is a stock that, unlike Apple, does not go up/down much. which means a fundamental loss of confidence in its long term prospects.

great ad, keep it up!

post #32 of 99
All they have to do in these ads is rotate both "tablets" sideways... The iPad will instantly and fearlessly switch to portrait mode, while Surface sits there with a thumb stick up its USB hole wondering why the owner has turned it the wrong way.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 99
Quote:

[...] as opposed to proprietary connectors which cost much more and get changed every few years.

Yeah, first there was the 30-pin that they only used for 11 years, and now they've gone and changed it calling it technology for the next decade so it'll probably only be 9 or 10 years before they change it AGAIN! It's impossible to keep up.

/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Charge/sync cables are pretty cheap for iOS devices

You call $20 "cheap?" I don't. Even Monoprice's typically excellent pricing is triple what a conventional Mini-USB costs.

Edited by v5v - 7/19/13 at 7:25pm
post #34 of 99
Quote:

Maybe the Surface keyboards, that's both versions, keys stick? lol.gif
post #35 of 99

Poor, sad Microsoft.  No clue about UX, usability or the needs of real people to have a device that does what they need it to do in a way that is enjoyable.

post #36 of 99
Quote:

First of all, the Surface (Pro) has an "A" USB port, not a mini or "B" port. It supplies power to USB peripherals. You couldn't charge the SP from the built-in USB port. Nor would you want to -- the 500 ma that you're allowed to suck from a USB port would take forever to charge a table.

Whether the average iPad consume would benefit from a real USB port or not is questionable. I own a Surface Pro (SP) and after having lost the stylus right before a show I was doing, let me tell you how being able to plug in a mouse really saved my butt. Wouldn't work on an iPad (doesn't support a mouse), but on the SP it was a lifesaver.

I can't comment on the storage issues. I bought a Surface Pro to run exactly *one* Windows x86 application for my business. It doesn't use any storage and doesn't use much RAM so the SP is perfect (or so I thought).

Couple of comments about the SP vis-a-vis my iPads (I own three of those with my business):

1) Microsoft offers two covers: the "Touch Cover" (with a membrane keyboard) and the "Type Cover" (with "real" keys that you can actually type on). I opted for the Type cover. What a mistake. The build quality on the Type cover is absolute crap. Keycaps keep falling off. Given that my app requires very little actual typing, I'd have been much better off with the Touch Cover. It's really sad that I had to buy a case to protect the thing that was supposed to be protecting my tablet.

2) Both keyboard covers connect electrically to the Surface via a connector. Terrible design. Why not use bluetooth? Granted, they'd need a rechargeable battery in the cover, but the alternative is that the connector is going to go bad after a while.

3) The stylus is a disaster. I replaced an HP Touchsmart laptop/tablet with the SP. The HP had a hole you could stick the stylus in and the stylus was tethered to the tablet with a string. Never lost the stylus. On the SP the stylus attaches to the outside of the tablet with a magnet; no tethering. When I first saw this, I said to myself "I ought to take up a poll for how many days till the stylus is lost." It took three outings. At $29.95 each, that's expensive. Very poor design.

4) Windows 8. Need I say anymore? I've been using Windows since 3.1 days. Can't find half the crap I need to access without looking it up in a manual online somewhere. Why does Microsoft insist on changing the locations and names of everything with each new version? With Win8, they squared the complexity.

5) The SP does have some good points. Beyond the keyboard cover (and connection) the build quality seems pretty good. Yes, that USB port has come in handy. The screen is beautiful and mostly readable in direct sunlight (unlike my HP). 1920x1080 is nice. 

6) People pick on the kickstand, but it's actually nice. Keep in mind that this is a tiny laptop, not a tablet. The kickstand is quite functional for this type of device. Wouldn't want to give up the thinness on my iPads to have one, but it *does* work better than the Apple cover does when you need to stand up the tablet.

re: "All they have to do in these ads is rotate both "tablets" sideways... The iPad will instantly and fearlessly switch to portrait mode, while Surface sits there with a thumb stick up its USB hole wondering why the owner has turned it the wrong way."

Uhhh, the Surface will rotate the screen. In fact, it's quite annoying about this. I really like the fact that the iPad has the lock switch on it so you can prevent screen rotations when you don't want to have them happen. AFAIKT, the SP has nothing like this (though it might be buried in the bowels of Win 8 where I've yet to find it -- PITA).

In all, the SP makes a great portable Win8 laptop. Wouldn't ever consider as a "tablet" device, though.

There is a reason Microsoft is losing so much money on the Surface devices. They haven't learned from their past mistakes and they're trying to create a "full computer experience" on a tablet. Same mistake they've been making since the 1990s. You'd think they would have looked at what Apple did and created something that would be pared down to what a consumer wants in a tablet. No. They still think that consumers insist on the full Windows experience. Given that Windows users are abandoning the platform in droves now, one would hope they'd figure out that this isn't a winning strategy.

I never would have bought the SP if I didn't have a business mission-critical application that only runs on an x86. I am a niche market and they are not going to make a whole lot of money off people like me and the small group of Windows fanbois. Their new reorganization just proves that they still don't get it.

post #37 of 99

Looked up a thesaurus.

Main entry: pathetic

Synonyms: commiserable, deplorable, feeble, inadequate, lamentable, meager, miserable, paltry, petty, piteous, pitiable, poor, puny, rueful, sorry, sorry-ass, useless, woeful, worthless...

post #38 of 99
Quote:

The average consumer could benefit from a USB port because it would make for a cheaper cord for charging and connecting to other devices as opposed to proprietary connectors which cost much more and get changed every few years. 

Funny, my iPad came with a charger and cord. How is the charger and cord that comes with an RT tablet any cheaper than that?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #39 of 99
It is clear that Microsoft is getting desperate for missing out on the only 2 consumertechmarkets showing significant growth.

At first, the Surface doesn't have any advantage over the iPad when it comes to keyboards. There are tons of bluetooth keyboards varying from cheap to luxurious that are made with iPad in mind (think of special keys to lock the screen). Looking at the accessories market for keyboard cases and ultraflat, portable keyboards for iPad it is clear that the Surface with an under 5% tablet market share can't handle the iPad.

But not only does this appear in the keyboard: the USB-ports form a fine example too. Even though Microsoft tries to stick out to Apple and Samsung by saying 'Our tablet comes with an USB-port', that would be a reason for me, and I think with me a lot of other people, not to buy Surface. USB-ports might be just too thick to fit a tablet. And yes, they're handy and I wouldn't like to miss one on my iPad, but my camera connection kit does great. It's small, I can take it off when I don't need it and works great when I do. And it doesn't bug me when it comes to the design of my tablet. Talking about design, why the damn stand? It's ugly, makes your tablet thick and doesn't protect your screen like Apple's smartcover.

There sure are bright sides for Surface, like the price. It makes a good price for what hardware you get, except for the USB port and the stupid stand and some more things. I'd even dare to say it does some things better than iPad. But for that price you get a tablet that has very small app-support, even tinier accessoiresmarket, an unfamiliar interface (even to Windows-7 users), awful design that is heavy and not easy to control with one hand and so on. I love to use iPad, I even start to like iOS 7 since I've been using it for a while. I have detachable USB, SD, HDMI, and whatsoever. I have an external keyboard I can choose to connect over Bluetooth or USB. I have access to the biggest App Store for tablets and there are hundreds of accessories manufacturers in all price classes that make great products fitting my needs and keeping a good eye on the design. Thanks to great software solutions and ideas, I am able to work really fast while the software looks great, inviting, simple to understand and polished.

So, back to the ad. Don't you think it's funny Microsoft uses Siri as voice in their ads? Everyone knows Siri, thanks to some good marketing from Apple and the succes of the iPhone and iPad. But these ads sure help Apple a little bit. They make people more familiar (not even in a bad way: go trough the ad, you won't find Siri malfunction) with Apple's Voice Assistant while no one knows theirs. Like they even got a voice assistant?

Thank you very much for reading this,
This was my opinion on the Microsoft Ad Campaign.
I'd really like to hear yours about this but remember that like I said, it's my opinion.

Greetings from the Netherlands!
Edited by Dutchman - 7/19/13 at 5:32pm
post #40 of 99
Ummm...I am trying to remember the last time I really used a jump drive. Microsoft, come on now.
I can say this as I used to be an iPad owner but found a Kindle was what I wanted for leisure reading. BUT that does not mean I dislike the iPad. I had a great keyboard for my iPad and it worked better than what Surface tries to pass off, so again, nice try.
My wife and I were Windows users for three years, but even with my Windows tech savvy, I got tired of the fight and went back to Mac and now we are once again a proud Mac family. I need something that works and works all the time. Microsoft's updates are ridiculous in 2013, and twice I had to do major work to get my computer to work well AFTER one of their patented updates.
As an educator who is open to any GOOD technology, I tried to get interested in the Surface, but there is nothing on the Surface that works for what I do. I played with it a few times and I could not get it to do the heavy lifting that a laptop does (I have to use Adobe Creative Cloud and Office). I tried to get into the Windows 8 look, but the look seems too retro.
My order of operation: Mac OS, iOS, Android's Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, Windows 7, Linux (it is not bad, but I need too many mainstream software products for what I do), and then Windows 8.
Microsoft had made advances, but they are too busy trying to recover from the pasting they are getting from Apple and Android/Google.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Latest iPad-bashing Microsoft ad focuses on peripherals, new Surface RT price point
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Latest iPad-bashing Microsoft ad focuses on peripherals, new Surface RT price point