or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

post #1 of 321
Thread Starter 
This last week, Microsoft announced disappointing earnings that reflected the battered market for PCs and the company's inability to gain traction in smartphones. But most notable was the $900 million "inventory adjustment" related to Surface RT, Microsoft's beleaguered iPad contender. How could it have failed so badly?

surface


Flop flop, fizzle fizzle in tablets



Three years ago, Apple launched the original iPad to a Yerba Buena Gardens audience of tech journalists who largely scoffed at the notion of anyone buying it. CNET interviewed me at the event, but didn't ever use the footage, apparently because I wasn't scoffing.

But iPads rapidly began selling, so much so that Samsung and an "avalanche" of other vendors rushed their own tablets to market by the end of that year. Microsoft had already launched its own Slate PC concept with HP, a product the original iPad immediately shoved off the table and into the trash bin (where, come on, it rightly belonged).

Microsoft, along with everyone else, wanted to cash in on the new tablet craze that the iPad had launched, particularly after suffering through a decade of Tablet PC and UMPC failures in the 2000s while trying to replicate the original vision of Apple's 1993 Newton Message Pad tablet, albeit centered around Windows.

1990s tablets


Bold predictions that everyone else would soon sell more tablets than Apple were quickly backed up by hastily gathered "market research" that instantly assigned Samsung a large share of the market that fall, solely through the creative accounting of inventory "shipments." As it turned out, the market actually needed buyers, not just sellers with units to ship.

The next year, in early 2011, Google unveiled its own Android 3.0 Honeycomb release specifically suited to delivering tablets, showcased by Motorola's unfortunately named Xoom. That product turned out to be a spectacular failure for so many reasons that it's hard to pin down the most lethal culprit: Unfinished? Expensive? Useless?

Android 3.0 Honeycomb more like Tablet PC than iPad


Motorola was joined by a variety of other Android licensees, including Samsung, who also cranked out tablets nobody wanted to buy. Many Android fans wanted somebody to buy these terrible first generation devices so they could later buy their better successors.

Incredibly, it turned out pretty much nobody wanted to be the guinea pig tasked with beta testing Honeycomb tablets that were not quite there yet, didn't support web standards very well, didn't have any great tablet-optimized apps, and didn't provide very good value for the premium prices they demanded.

Phil Schiller contrasts iOS iPad optimized apps with stretched smartphone apps on Android tablets


After another year passed, Microsoft decided to make the world forget about the epic failures of 2010's Slate PC and 2007's Surface bathtub-kiosk by resurrecting the Surface name as a new sort-of convertible tablet device running the "full Windows" without compromise, albeit in a version that couldn't really run Windows software because it was ported to run on ARM chips, whereas all Windows software is designed to run on an x86 chip.

The icing on top would be that this new Surface would adopt the Metro user interface that nobody wanted when it was on the Zune, and that nobody wanted when it was on Windows Phone 7. Surely the third time around would be the Charm, especially if it were forced upon the entire Windows 8 PC audience as well, because Windows users were so graciously welcoming of the even less significant changes bundled with Windows Vista in 2006.

So at this point, I know what you're thinking: "how could this all-around winning Surface RT strategy not fail to beat back the iPad and take over the tablet world in a way that all of Samsung's hardware expertise and all of Google's software savvy had failed to do over the previous two years as Microsoft toiled to port Windows to ARM and blogged about its incremental progress along the way?"

I mean, really. Quite inconceivable.

The mysterious failure of Microsoft's hardware endeavors



Mary Jo Foley, writing for ZDNet, wondered this very thing. Literally: "How did this happen?"

"The biggest question, to my mind, about today's unexpected Surface RT write-down," Foley wrote, "is how did Microsoft find itself in this predicament in the first place? How did officials seemingly misestimate the number of Surface RTs they should have made and how much they should have charged for them?"

It appears the Surface RT's price was set in 2010 when Apple launched the iPad for $499. Android's Honeycomb tablets aimed higher than that, and were laughed off the stage. So Microsoft picked the same entry level price point as Apple, the very same strategy behind the Zune taking on iPods at virtually identical prices.

Microsoft upped the ante with Surface RT however, giving it twice the memory (32GB) of Apple's entry level iPad (16GB). Of course, Microsoft also squandered all that specification advantage by using Windows, which likes to take up lots of space.

According to the bill of materials estimate by iSuppli, the Surface RT cost Microsoft about $284, of which the firm stated that "Microsoft will generate a profit margin that is greater than the low-end iPad, in percentage terms and on a per-unit basis."

Surface RT BOM
Source: IHS iSuppli


So Microsoft was pretty confident that Surface RT would wipe the floor with Apple's iPad, the same way the company was deadly serious about Windows Phone being such a strong alternative to the iPhone that it staged a mock funeral (for the iPhone, not Windows Phone, which is still regarded as having a pulse at Microsoft).


Microsoft funeral parade for iPhone


Source: Flickr user Trioculus


Microsoft's confidence was adjusted slightly after Surface RT refused to sell. So Microsoft slashed the price to $350, a price Brian Hall, Microsoft's General Manager of Surface Marketing, told Foley that the company believes will begin driving sales. Or at least create an installed base that will begin recommending the device to other buyers.

"We know we need a lot of Surface users to start the fly wheel of people recommending it," Foley cited Hall as saying. Apple didn't need such a "flywheel" for the first iPad because it had a functional and healthy smartphone platform tied to a gangbusters media store in iTunes. Microsoft is starting from scratch.

But apparently Hall hasn't read any reviews of the Surface RT. Perhaps he could read what Foley herself wrote in the same piece that cited him. She noted, "many of the factors beyond price that have contributed to the lackluster demand for the Surface RT haven't changed all that much."

Specifically: "There are still few, if any, 'killer' Windows Store apps that might push someone to choose a Surface RT over an iPad or an Android tablet," Foley noted, adding that "the performance of the Surface RT still feels sluggish."

To Foley's credit, she isn't bamboozled by the fact that Surface RT isn't selling, but rather the question of why Microsoft manufactured so many of the devices and ended up with a huge unsold inventory (apparently around 6 million too many).

"Isn't this a company whose officials have prided themselves on telemetry data and visibility?" She asked.

Inconceivable!



How could Microsoft have done such a poor job of designing, pricing, marketing and logistically managing the production of Surface RT? This is the company that delivered the Xbox, which many Windows enthusiasts (and even many platform agnostic users) like to play.

Ah the Xbox 360. The device that cost Microsoft roughly $8 billion in investment as it sold millions of hardware units at a deep loss for years. The device that, four years into production, was still languishing with a 52 percent return rate due to the Red Ring of Death, the result of sloppy manufacturing.

Xbox RROD


A device that was so troubled that Microsoft had to write off a $1 billion charge for unexpected warranty expenses. A device that just became slightly profitable as it approached its own obsolescence. What a paragon of operational competence that product demonstrates.

As spectacular of a operational failure the Xbox 360 was, it at least generated some software licensing revenue, thanks to very expensive fees third party developers pay along with ongoing royalties. Windows RT doesn't generate any software revenue to speak of. Nobody is going to pay $80 for "Angry Birds" running on a slowpoke ARM tablet, so developers aren't going to pay Microsoft Xbox-style fees to develop software for it.

And as bad as the Xbox 360 was managed, its flaws were completely eclipsed by Microsoft's Zune and KIN, two of the most embarrassing hardware product failures to occur outside of Google.

Microsoft might have some great software and server-side logistics, but its hardware experiments are a series of breathtaking failures, like the playboy sons of a super rich guy who doesn't know how to raise children properly.

The company assured Foley that it's not about to give up on Surface RT or the Windows RT software powering it. While Microsoft also once said the same of the now abandoned Zune, what it really needs to focus on is creating great products, rather than just trying to throw a placeholder into the market created by the iPad.

There isn't some mystery as to why Surface RT isn't selling, even at loss leader pricing. It's not a good product. And it competes against a really good product. Microsoft needs to bring its A game, not just some arrogant swagger.

After getting its teeth kicked out by the iPod, the iPhone and now the iPad, you'd think the company would realize that it needs to stop repeating its me-too strategies that clearly don't work and try something new: focusing on what it's good at, rather than being a terrible copy of Apple.
post #2 of 321

Consumers want real iPads, not fake iPads.

Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #3 of 321
I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.
post #4 of 321
The "$80 Angry Birds" point in the article was a great one. Apple (as they have always been open about) develop software and services only to sell more hardware. Microsoft's console-style approach of taking a loss on hardware and making it up on $80 games will not work if Apple got in first and created a commonly "free" software price point in their App Store. And why did Apple get in first? Because in the age of mobile (and soon, not just mobile but wearable) computing, hardware design (Apple's strength) matters more than in the past.
post #5 of 321
Fact is consumers don't need Windows or Office. Microsoft still doesn't get that. Go watch the Surface event from last July. It was all Windows, Windows, Windows. Heck Microsoft's new logo is a Windows logo. The other thing Microsoft doesn't get is people are perfectly fine with tablets being mostly consumption devices. I think we're finding out that a large number of consumers were really using their PCs mostly for consumption purposes. Email, web surfing, watching movies, etc. Tablets now provide all those services in a much more convenient form factor. And since people are using PCs less frequently, the need to upgrade isn't really there. Google and Amazon don't help Microsoft's cause as they're pushing tablets as cheap consumption devices that they don't need to make any money on. Can Microsoft really afford to get in to a race to the bottom there?
post #6 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

Well that's just you. I like sarcasm, and this POS tablet deserves to be mocked and so does anybody who defended this POS tablet on this forum in the past.

This was an obvious flop from the very beginning and anybody who didn't see that is extremely out of touch.
post #7 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Three years ago, Apple launched the original iPad to a Yerba Buena Gardens audience of tech journalists who largely scoffed at the notion of anyone buying it. CNET interviewed me at the event, but didn't ever use the footage, apparently because I wasn't scoffing.
 

Honestly, I've done a very small amount of research based upon your research.

 

Did they know it was an interview, or did you just suddenly force your way to a mic?  Did they disclose that they were interviewing you, or did you just speak to someone after everyone left and went to the product trial area?

 

I saw you there during this last WDC.  I even made it a point to shake your hand.

 

I never did see you in any of the developer booths after that.  Could be chance due to schedules.  I'm starting to wonder though...

 

This whole article could have been summed up in three sentences and two pictures.

post #8 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Email, web surfing, watching movies, etc. Tablets now provide all those services in a much more convenient form factor.

Exactly. This year is the first year that I went on vacation and I only brought along an iPad with me. I wasn't sure how that was going to work out, since I'd been so used to bringing Macbooks with me in the past, but it's worked out pretty good so far. Last year I brought along both a Macbook and an iPad, but I decided to leave the laptop at home this time, to save a few pounds, since certain airlines are getting stingier and stingier with their luggage allowances.

I check the internet, i check emails, I occasionally troll forums, I watch movies, I listen to music and I even create music every once in a while. I don't need to do any heavy duty computing on my vacation, and an iPad has worked out great. I'm even writing this post on the iPad, and I'm actually pretty damn fast at typing on the iPad now.

For the average person, an iPad is all that they'll ever need.
Edited by Apple ][ - 7/20/13 at 4:23am
post #9 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


Well that's just you. I like sarcasm, and this POS tablet deserves to be mocked and so does anybody who defended this POS tablet on this forum in the past.

This was an obvious flop from the very beginning and anybody who didn't see that is extremely out of touch.

I understand you want technology to stand still.  I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

 

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens.  Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

 

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.

post #10 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

+1

post #11 of 321
Woah, that is really pushing the sarcasm knob to eleven !

Now, what is strange is that so few pundits will do that. All the tech press should be out with pitchforks on the RT, but . . . nothing !
post #12 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I understand you want technology to stand still.  I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens.  Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.

You obviously have a completely mistaken understanding of things.

Making second rate products and copying Apple is not advancing technology at all.

I am at the forefront of technology, using the best tablet in the world. I don't have any time for kickstands or people dancing around like morons or outdated operating systems that take up an obscene amount of RAM.
post #13 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well that's just you. I like sarcasm, and this POS tablet deserves to be mocked and so does anybody who defended this POS tablet on this forum in the past.

This was an obvious flop from the very beginning and anybody who didn't see that is extremely out of touch.

It could just be me but I think this editorial has more sarcasm than most and it somehow cheapens the points raised. I don't disagree with the article but in my opinion it comes across more as a fanboy rant rather than a sensible and intelligent analysis of the situation which it actually is.
post #14 of 321
For years, Microsoft's profits from its Windows division funded all these sideshow hardware products that ultimately failed. But now that PC sales are falling--causing sales of Windows licenses to fall--causing Microsoft's stock price to drop 11%, I wonder if Microsoft's hardware days are numbered. The board should have dumped Ballmer in 2007, but definitely in 2013.
post #15 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


Exactly. This year is the first year that I went on vacation and I only brought along an iPad with me. I wasn't sure how that was going to work out, since I'd been so used to bringing Macbooks with me in the past, but it's worked out pretty good so far. Last year I brought along both a Macbook and an iPad, but I decided to leave the laptop at home this time, to save a few pounds, since certain airlines are getting stingier and stingier with their luggage allowances.

The whole point of a vacation though, is not to do any work, and let yourself recharge. I also took only my iPad on my last holiday. But try using it as your only computing device during work time...

post #16 of 321
Great points by rogifan.

We tend to read a lot of geek types online bemoaning the simplicity and lack of features of the iPad, but a huge segment of consumers buying tablets are "simple" content consumer types.

1) Surface commercials are absolutely awful. Maybe they thought that clickity click one would especially would appeal to younger audiences but it didn't show a single thing about the tablet and created a thought in consumer's mind: "hey that's cool and something I could use it for"

2) Simplicity. Although Metro GUI is easier than traditional Windows GUI, it pails in comparison to iOS. This creates a market of consumers that is much larger than just computer savvy buyers. In my family alone we have a 3 year old, a 99 year old, a downs syndrome child, and everyone in between using iPads with ease.
post #17 of 321
I'd really like to see Apple turn the AppleTV into an iOS developer store platform with gaming support. It would completely devastate the Xbox and everyone else in it's path.
post #18 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The whole point of a vacation though, is not to do any work, and let yourself recharge. I also took only my iPad on my last holiday. But try using it as your only computing device during work time...

Good point about the vacation and recharging! I'll try to do that, even though it's hard. I even traded some Apple stock a few days ago from my iPad, but you're right that a vacation should be for recharging.

I plan on going swimming tomorrow, and I definitely won't have any devices with me then, since I have no plans of ending up like a few Chinese people that we have recently been reading about.
post #19 of 321

article is spot on.  Microosft tablets are a complete failure and should never have been launched.  The horrid, unusable Metro GUI was a failure on Zune, then it failed again on the garbage Windows Phone, failed on Windows 8 and failed on Windows RT.  Anyone involved in the Metro UI should be fired immediately.  Anyone who thought this was a good strategy should be fired for incompetence. how clueless can one be?

post #20 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ah the Xbox 360. The device that cost Microsoft roughly $8 billion in investment as it sold millions of hardware units at a deep loss for years. The device that, four years into production, was still languishing with a 52 percent return rate due to the Red Ring of Death, the result of sloppy manufacturing.

That 52% figure is extremely dodgy and I think you know it. I guess that's why you link to your own blog rather than the original source of the figure.

Quote:
A device that was so troubled that Microsoft had to write off a $1 billion charge for unexpected warranty expenses. A device that just became slightly profitable as it approached its own obsolescence. What a paragon of operational competence that product demonstrates.

The Xbox 360 has been profitable since 2008. That's five years ago. The Xbox 360's division reported 8% sale growth this quarter.
post #21 of 321

This is almost the epitome of the smarmy attitude that makes many people not want to use Apple products.  Never mind that Apple makes great products, they just don't want be associated with, well... this.

 

Surface RT is a pretty terrible product on all fronts, and probably is partially responsible for taking their core product, Windows, in a direction many users just don't like.

 

With Apple having a great product and strong lead in tablets, and Android tablets now being quite good, the path for Microsoft to getting in the market is quite slim.

 

They need to stop their attack ads on both Google and Apple.  It just makes them look kind of desperate and does not focus on how good their products are.   If they are not focusing on how good their products are- they need to make them good so they have something to focus on :p 

post #22 of 321
Apple "did it right" the first time, and they just keep doing it "righter." X^D

The Surface fiasco deserves to be spread over the field like the rest of Microsoft's manure.
post #23 of 321
Good article. But credit where it's due, I don't think Surface RT copied the iPad. At least not much in UI.
post #24 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Honestly, I've done a very small amount of research based upon your research.

 

Did they know it was an interview, or did you just suddenly force your way to a mic?  Did they disclose that they were interviewing you, or did you just speak to someone after everyone left and went to the product trial area?

 

I saw you there during this last WDC.  I even made it a point to shake your hand.

 

I never did see you in any of the developer booths after that.  Could be chance due to schedules.  I'm starting to wonder though...

 

This whole article could have been summed up in three sentences and two pictures.

Who are you Vadania? Daniel has been around for years and not only writes for AppleInsider but has his own website at http://roughlydrafted.com. CNET knows who he is, they also know how he feels and many times it's not what CNET wants to hear. It's also WWDC and trying to find anyone in that mass of bodies is impossible. I also have met Daniel and have actually talked to him when he presented at the company I retired from. His research and understanding of technology history is second to none. As for his sarcasm, I enjoyed it. If all you can handle is three sentences and two pictures you have a very short attention span, something that bothers me about people these days. All they can handle is a couple words before their brain turns off. Take a little time to understand what Daniel has to say so you're ready for Microsoft's next product release. CNET and almost every technology writer desperately wants something from Microsoft to sell, especially so they can keep their job writing about them, so they will do their best to promote them. Microsoft isn't helping by releasing garbage hardware and software. 

post #25 of 321
The Surface isn't an iPad copy nor a software copy. It's still a complex MS Solution. iPad = one part. Ultra book like the Air = 2 parts (Computer + screen) but the most complex thing is a Surface = 3 parts.

It's incredible but nobody else can deliver the most complex solutions but Microsoft. This dissatisfied customers and in the opposite Apple reduce reduce reduce!
post #26 of 321

Energy Drink Corporation releases two beverages: ED RT and ED Pro. ED RT contains scalding horse piss, ED Pro rancid milk. Both are packaged in containers similar enough to cause confusion.

 

You might question how popular either would be, but certainly a consumer desiring the clumpy goodness of rancid milk would be upset at a tongue burned by scalding horse piss.

post #27 of 321
Is complex supposed to be a good thing in your reference? I see it that MS doesn't know how to create anything that for the user isn't overly complex, mostly for no good reason. Consumers, and I mean all aspects of those consuming including corporate, education, individual, etc., inherently want things to work in a way that gets out of their way, not the other way around. Apple figured this out and MS is stuck making products and software that are anything but intuitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

The Surface isn't an iPad copy nor a software copy. It's still a complex MS Solution. iPad = one part. Ultra book like the Air = 2 parts (Computer + screen) but the most complex thing is a Surface = 3 parts.

It's incredible but nobody else can deliver the most complex solutions but Microsoft. This dissatisfied customers and in the opposite Apple reduce reduce reduce!
post #28 of 321

I may be in the minority, but after spending some time with Windows 8 have found myself really liking it. I spouted a lot of hate for Windows 8 until I actually gave a true and fair chance by actually using it for a bit of time (not just trying it for few minutes in a store). I have been gravitating to my Lenovo Twist laptop/tablet hybrid over both my iPad and MacBook a lot lately. And when I am on my MacBook or iPad, I miss some of the ways that the Windows 8 tile interface works (I know -- it's crazy, but once I got used to the interface it started to feel natural to me and then by mistake I try to do some of the same things on my other devices).

 

With all that said, I fully acknowledge the current shortcomings:

 

  • I am using full Windows 8 - and would be missing some key programs and functionality I need on the RT version or by staying in the tile interface alone.  So until the Windows store is fully stocked with apps that provide the full spectrum of needed features in the tile interface, the platform will continue to feel like it has a split personality. However, with that said, it does provide more versatility than an iPad (can use it for things I previously had to put down my iPad for and reach for my MacBook to do instead).
  • I am not sure about the Surface, but my Lenovo Twist takes a full six seconds to wake from sleep. Doesn't sound like a lot, but once you get used to the instant on of the iPad or almost instant on of the MacBook Air, those six seconds feel very long. Although once it does wake, it's just as snappy as any other device I have.
  • There is more of a learning curve with Windows 8 compared to an iPad. Although, it's not as bad as most people make it out to be (if you have half a brain and give it more than two minutes, it quickly becomes easy and natural). Yes, I am someone who enjoys technology so probably have a bit easier time than the general population. But I did test this out with my 70-year old mother who is not tech savvy at all -- and just like me, after using Windows 8 for  a short amount of time, it felt easy and natural to her. While I do get calls from her from time-to-time for help -- it's no more frequent than when she was using an iPad and couldn't figure out how to change a setting or do something very specific on it. Ultimately she is happy with Windows 8 over the iPad because for not too much more money she has something she can use like a tablet but do things on she couldn't do with just an iPad. 

 

I still love my iPad and MacBook, but I have a place for Windows 8 in my house too. My kids end up using the Lenovo a lot too over the iPad because they were able to setup their own accounts and customize the tiles to what they like and the apps they want to use (as well as the colors, backgrounds, etc.) There isn't an option for multiple users on an iPad like this.

 

There is still a lot that can be done to make Windows 8 better, but the bashing and acting like it is not a viable option (or potential competition for Apple in the long-term) is ridiculous.

post #29 of 321
What I like about this editorial is the accurate perspective of the time periods and the prevailing media views.

This is important as most people seem to have very short memories. Hard to believe it has been so few years since iPad changed the planet. Yet here we are looking back and in only three years the 'Post PC Era' is here. iPad is totally destroying the Wintel PC world.

Meanwhile, let us be really honest, Microsoft has never had a success with anything really, except its ripped off Mac OS. Plus, of course Office, another Steve Jobs product. Yes it has had phenomenal success with those two products, no question. Thirty years of milking Apple's IP.

The company deserves to go on this way, bleeding its ill gotten gains away trying to repeat its one successful formula, ripping off Apple's concepts. Not working too well though now is it?

May it be a slow, painful slide into oblivion. I can't wait to see Monkey Boy being interviewed in about ten years and asked how he managed to sail Microsoft into a chasm. Bon Voyage!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #30 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Who are you Vadania? Daniel has been around for years and not only writes for AppleInsider but has his own website at http://roughlydrafted.com. CNET knows who he is, they also know how he feels and many times it's not what CNET wants to hear. It's also WWDC and trying to find anyone in that mass of bodies is impossible. I also have met Daniel and have actually talked to him when he presented at the company I retired from. His research and understanding of technology history is second to none. As for his sarcasm, I enjoyed it. If all you can handle is three sentences and two pictures you have a very short attention span, something that bothers me about people these days. All they can handle is a couple words before their brain turns off. Take a little time to understand what Daniel has to say so you're ready for Microsoft's next product release. CNET and almost every technology writer desperately wants something from Microsoft to sell, especially so they can keep their job writing about them, so they will do their best to promote them. Microsoft isn't helping by releasing garbage hardware and software. 

Great post.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #31 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

I find it quite humourous and enteraining though. It's not overused since the article is quite a lengthy one, so it's adequately spread out. I had a good chuckle.

 

Unfortunately, while the author clearly has a very good command of the English language, in that he is able to use just the right words to create clear mental images of the scenarios he is describing, what I find increasingly symptomatic about this article (and the others before it) is that it doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know. Nor does it offer an manner of in-depth analysis or insight. For example, it go to great lengths to gloat about how the RT failed, but doesn't really explain why. I have my own theories, but it would be nice to hear from someone else, in the name of promoting healthy discourse. 

post #32 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

I find it quite humourous and enteraining though. It's not overused since the article is quite a lengthy one, so it's adequately spread out. I had a good chuckle.

Unfortunately, while the author clearly has a very good command of the English language, in that he is able to use just the right words to create clear mental images of the scenarios he is describing, what I find increasingly symptomatic about this article (and the others before it) is that it doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know. Nor does it offer an manner of in-depth analysis or insight. For example, it go to great lengths to gloat about how the RT failed, but doesn't really explain why. I have my own theories, but it would be nice to hear from someone else, in the name of promoting healthy discourse. 

I think DED would have to write a book to answer your more in depth request, maybe he has, I'd buy it. I think it is of value to keep reminding people, who seem to have very short memories, what just happened, at a relatively simple level. After all it is countering pretty simple negative attacks mostly. The sad thing is so few who should, will ever see it. I use Reader to send stuff from DED like this, to as many people i know, that worry Apple is about to go bust after reading CNET et al.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #33 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

…this POS tablet deserves to be mocked… This was an obvious flop from the very beginning…

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I understand you want technology to stand still. I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens. Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.

 

I didn’t gather that Apple ][ wants technology to stand still, Vadania; you two do not seem to disagree; and I’d sure love to hear—objectively—how more estrogen could improve this discourse or an optical device.

 

The major points from both your posts are valid—to which I’ll add: someone within Microsoft needs the balls to mock things that are doomed to fail before they lose another billion dollars. Balmer’s presence as a primary public face of a huge, profitable company is embarrassing. How do they feel about their “iPhone funeral” now? This sort of crap absolutely deserves to be mocked, brutally; and scourged with biting, vicious sarcasm. But Microsoft doesn’t have a history of humility, nor do they display much ability to learn from mistakes—not even prodigiously expensive, ignominious defeats. Derision—even if it should become widespread—is unlikely to penetrate their shield of arrogance.

 

absorbent |əbˈzɔrbənt / əbˈsɔrbənt|
adjective
(of a material) able to soak up liquid easily: drain on absorbent paper towels.
 
exorbitant |ɪɡˈzɔrbətnt|
adjective
(of a price or amount charged) unreasonably high: the exorbitant price of tickets.

Edited by MacManFelix - 7/20/13 at 6:30am
post #34 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I understand you want technology to stand still.  I suppose it makes sense on a psychological point of view.

I'd prefer that you looked at it through a different lens.  Mine may have a bit more estrogen in it, but the more Microsoft spends on it's tablet the better the iPad will be in the future.

I think we should all cheer Microsoft on and encourage them to spend an absorbent amount of money researching what really does work.

I think your lens is misted up 1wink.gif I'd point out that Apple have never needed any outside competition to spur them on. They are totally self motivated to do the best they can even to the point of competing with themselves and obsoleting successful products. I would also point out that anything coming from Microsoft would hardly do anything to help 'encourage' Apple's development teams ... more likely be a source of amusement but little else. 1biggrin.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 7/20/13 at 6:31am
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #35 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post


I didn’t gather that Apple ][ wants technology to stand still, Vadania; you two do not seem to disagree; and I’d sure love to hear—objectively—how more estrogen could improve this discourse or an optical device.

The major points from both your posts are valid—to which I’ll add: someone within Microsoft needs the balls to mock things that are doomed to fail before they lose another billion dollars. Balmer’s presence as a primary public face of a huge, profitable company is embarrassing. How do they feel about their “iPhone funeral” now? This sort of crap absolutely deserves to be mocked, brutally; and scourged with biting, vicious sarcasm. But Microsoft doesn’t have a history of humility, nor do they display much ability to learn from mistakes—not even prodigiously expensive, ignominious defeats. Derision—even if it should become widespread—is unlikely to penetrate their shield of arrogance.

absorbent |əbˈzɔrbəntəbˈsɔrbənt|
adjective
(of a material) able to soak up liquid easily: drain on absorbent paper towels.
 
exorbitant |ɪɡˈzɔrbətnt|
adjective
(of a price or amount charged) unreasonably high: the exorbitant price of tickets.

"how more estrogen could improve this discourse or an optical device."

I am guessing the 'lens' as seen through by a female, is the explanation for that oblique reference. I could be wrong but that's my best guess ... 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #36 of 321
iPad/iOS is instantly accessible. Although the Surface hardware is nice, the UX whilst appearing friendly with the tiles, lacks the common sense nature of iOS and Android, the latter which is similar to a desktop PC/OSX, whilst the former is basically, push button action! Touch one icon for this, another for that. No new user interface paradigm to comprehend.
post #37 of 321
The tone of this article is a bit too condescending and elitist for my taste. I enjoy some of the articles on this site, but stuff likes this makes me wanna root for Windows and Android success just so this author would eat some humble pie. Apple pie??
post #38 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

I like the editorials, but I'd prefer less sarcasm.

DED's editorials are what I read after those of the king of sarcasm, the Macalope, at macworld.com

 

The sarcasm is entirely appropriate and deserved. Perhaps they could rate their stuff PG and your mama could set parental controls for you.

 

What's "mysterious" to me about Microsoft is why we haven't seen one "baldie's" head on a pike by now.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #39 of 321
Microsoft keeps going back to its me-too strategy because it worked before when it came up with Windows. Unfortunately it didn't use its force-its-products-onto-the-people strategy like it with Windows when it managed to convince businesses and computer makers to use it. Its the only way to get people to use their mediocre products.
post #40 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by smshnick View Post

The tone of this article is a bit too condescending and elitist for my taste. I enjoy some of the articles on this site, but stuff likes this makes me wanna root for Windows and Android success just so this author would eat some humble pie. Apple pie??

HAH! The only thing worse than "rooting for Windows and Android" is sitting on the fence, spouting your psycho-babble "elitist" name-calling, and WONDERING whether you should start rooting or not!!!

 

"Condescending"? The only condescension I see is YOURS!

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT