or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT - Page 7

post #241 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Since you asked so nicely, I quickly read through it again and copied the obvious sarcasm:

Incredibly, it turned out pretty much nobody wanted to be the guinea pig tasked with beta testing Honeycomb tablets...

The icing on top would be that this new Surface would adopt the Metro user interface...

Surely the third time around would be the Charm, especially if it were forced upon the entire Windows 8 PC audience as well...

Windows users were so graciously welcoming of the even less significant changes bundled with Windows Vista in 2006.

I mean, really. Quite inconceivable.

What a paragon of operational competence that product demonstrates.

Interesting.

As a former editior, I would admit that a couple of the above could example sarcasm. However, certainly not overtly stated, or frequency.

If there are any examples true sarcasm*, it seems to come for a vitriolic trolls that can't wait for anyone to be positive about Apple…

* Quote:

Irony employed in the service of mocking or attacking someone is sarcasm. Saying "Oh, you're soooo clever!" with sarcasm means the target is really just a dunderhead.

Sarcasm is sometimes used as merely a synonym of irony, but the word has a more specific sense: irony that's meant to mock or convey contempt. This meaning is found in its etymology. In Greek, sarkazein meant "to tear flesh; to wound." When you use sarcasm, you really tear into them. A clever person coined the variant spelling sarchasm (a blend of sarcasm and chasm) and defined it as "the gap between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it."

post #242 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabrysPHX View Post

Oh, I'm sorry, are you done comparing the iPad to feminine hygiene products, or did you want to wait till Apple sold another hundred-million, or until Microsoft lost another billion trying to make their knockoff of Apples "useless" product. XD

Your tears taste delicious.

I think you misquoted me. Just wanted to give you a warm heads up. ^_^.
post #243 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There have been MS tablets for years, so how are they copying Apple?

Poorly.

post #244 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

The only mysterious parts is how they managed to get a decent ad out with it....

Original tablet (MS versus Apple only) was running Windoze.  Sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tablet_computers#Early_tablets

-QAMF

1993     Apple Newton

2000     Microsoft coins the term "Microsoft Tablet PC"

Where do you see a reference to a Windows-based tablet pre-1993?

post #245 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

BTW, IBM got out of the PC business at nearly their peak.  MS is trying to be a 'startup' within a corporate culture that has got lucky one 30 years ago in its startup mode.  Other than Xbox which took 8 years of 'angel funding' to break even, MS has had a horrible record on launching (not buying) new products/divisions.    The corporate money is in consulting and outsourcing data center services.   Microsoft would do well to do the same, and just be the best MS 'backoffice' consulting firm in the world, spin off office365.com as a standalone company, and plan on the obsolescence of windows as a real tangible product (windows as a cloud service... yes. as a SKU at bestbuy or a corporate license... no).

Interesting idea, it's amazing how we are coming full circle with using dumb terminals again. I work for the largest bank in Switzerland and 5th in the world, we are currently migrating almost every department to a Sun Ray and/or Chromebox dumb terminal solution, Instead of purchasing Office Licenses for everyone we have also started to use Office 365 a lot more. The Trading, IT and Programming departments still have standalone PC's as they need a little more power and flexibility, especially the traders running 9 to 12 monitors. So your idea may work for some, I don't expect Windows Server or Exchange to go anywhere though.

I know the Chromebox sounds weird but it actually makes an awesome dumb terminal, we are a predominantly Unix environment, so the terminal software is perfect and Citrix has a great client for it, that and many of our internal apps are now web based. These are on a secure Internal network so Google can't track them, just saying before I get a bunch of silly comments.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #246 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Or maybe they need to start copying Apple. Instead of this nonsense of putting a computer OS into tablet form which is weird as heck to use perhaps MS needs to take a hard look at what makes the iPad work for buyers and copy it.

Part of what made the iPad work is that it was designed to be the computer device for those that don't really need a full computer. But with enough added power that if someone wanted to find a way to do more with what they had, go for it. Another part is that Apple created a fork of their OS that fits the form, rather than shoving in a traditional OS and UI and getting it to work with some page clips and duct tape. Having an App Store that could be used with the 2x zoom until developers got their apps to form also didn't hurt.

If you don't use the desktop app, Windows 8/RT feels hardly like a desktop OS grafted onto tablets. Some mouse and keyboard users complain about the metro UI because it's designed for touch. MS just needs to make sure that users can work entirely in metro if they want, and make opening the desktop app completely optional.

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 7/21/13 at 1:35pm
post #247 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

1993     Apple Newton

The Newton wasn't a tablet but a PDA and for that I would have to give Psions Series 3 or the HP 95LX the crown for being one of the firsts. I liked the Newton a lot but the real champion of the PDA era would definitely have to be the Psion Series 5MX, they outsold the Newton 10 to 1 and were just awesome. I still have one somewhere in my bomb shelter. Microsoft were really the first to push the idea of the Tablet. They were crap but first. I did kind of like my NEC VersaPad, not enough to keep it though.

post #248 of 321

Mysterious?  Not sure that's the word you're looking for.  MS is a company now habitual in its ability to watch glazed-eyed as Apple hits a mark that MS never knew existed, then arrogantly express disdain for Apple's successful approach, then move into the market years late with an underwhelming offering poured through manifold channels accompanied by inscrutable marketing... it would only be a mystery if they succeeded.  

I heard David Brooks today talk about how the old Soviet system used to say they could crank out millions of pedestrian guns, cars, etc.  But that they also admitted they really didn't make anything new, and the US via Silicon Valley ate their lunch in terms of new markets.  Looks like that's a valuable comparison here between MS and Apple.  

They hit a sweet spot in game consoles, albeit when SEGA departed the HW market and Nintendo ran in place for a bit / hit the handheld market.  

They may learn the hard way that splitting one OS to two platforms may be less productive than converging two OSs into a single ecosystem.  

I must once again admit my reaction to the original iPod launch video was "meh".  And having an original iPod, if anyone told me they this thing would one day beget a descendent that could replace my "computer" I'd've laughed at them.  The road is littered with the wrecks of smaller companies that underestimated Apple's ability to think outside the box.  MS just happens to have enough money to drive a lot further than most of the rest.  

post #249 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, I think this is exactly why Surface RT has Office on it.  The only other alternative is to make lite, clean versions of Office apps for ARM, and if they do that, then they would work on iOS and who would buy a Surface?  I think it's the same pickle Blackberry is in.  They always knew they could get a lot more revenue by making BBM available on iOS and Android, but it removes the reason to buy their hardware, thus, it's a last resort strategy (which I think they are doing now since they are circling the drain). 

Word for iOS would sell like proverbial hotcakes.  I would buy it even if it was twice the price of Pages and I hate Microsoft and don't really like using Word.  I don't think it will ever happen though as they are already moving to the cloud. This is possibly why Pages for iCloud is rumoured to be free when it comes out of Beta.  Why pay for a 360 subscription if Pages is free in the cloud and a $10.00 one time download on iOS?  

Microsoft is doomed. 1smile.gif (in the consumer market)

Unless my guess is wrong, I suspect the main reason you think you want Word for iOS is for full compatibility with Word for Windows documents. Unfortunately, the reality is that such a product - if MS ever released it - would likely only have partial compatibility with Word docs, with advanced features and formatting likely lost or corrupted in the transfer.

Think about how every time you try to edit and re-save an older Word document into the newer file format you get a warning that some formatting features may be lost. The same applies across all Office products. This is the reason why I don't hold it against iWork that some documents convert poorly between its apps and Office.

In other words, the only way to guarantee document compatibility across different devices and software versions is to always save in an older format. With this in mind, you might as well use iWork which is cheaper, has a better interface, and can also import/export into common MS Office file formats with the above-mentioned limitation.

post #250 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Newton wasn't a tablet but a PDA and for that I would have to give Psions Series 3 or the HP 95LX the crown for being one of the firsts. I liked the Newton a lot but the real champion of the PDA era would definitely have to be the Psion Series 5MX, they outsold the Newton 10 to 1 and were just awesome. I still have one somewhere in my bomb shelter. Microsoft were really the first to push the idea of the Tablet. They were crap but first. I did kind of like my NEC VersaPad, not enough to keep it though.

LOL! This was my first "PDA":

post #251 of 321

I totally agree with those sentiments.

Moreover, when the iPhone was first released it was only an EDGE device at a time when I owned a HTC 3G Touch-screen phone, the App Store had not yet been envisioned, and the $500-600 device was not subsidized.

Bottom line: Steve Jobs & Company didn't get it right the first time around. It was a full year before the App Store arrived, the faster iPhone 3G was introduced, and the price dropped by more than 50% due to a generous subsidy from AT&T.

Why exactly does this Apple Insider author believe that Microsoft should be held to higher standard?

Few companies get it totally right the first time around.  That's why some technology consumers have a strict policy of never buying version 1 of anything.  That policy sure worked well for me when I deferred my first iPhone purchase for a full year.

post #252 of 321
Quote:

LOL! This was my first "PDA":

The Casio's were popular, I think my sister had one, to add applications didn't you have to use cards?
post #253 of 321
The #1 revenue generator at Microsoft is the Office division. Pretty soon the server/enterprise division will probably take over Windows for the #2 spot. Microsoft should spin off Xbox and just focus on being a really great enterprise company. Forget about consumer electronics (outside of providing Windows to OEMs). IBM did it when they sold their PC business to Lenovo. One of the reasons Dell wants to go private is so they can focus more on enterprise and not consumer PCs.

IMO Microsoft's mistake is trying to be all things to all people. That's what Sinofsky attempted to do with Windows 8 and its not really working out. Outside of Xbox is there really a consumer focused product that they've been successful with? To me Windows success is more around its pervasiveness in the enterprise. People buy Windows PCs because that's what they're familiar with as they use Windows and Office at work. Last summer I was at Best Buy and asked one of the sales guys if they had any Ultrabooks. He said they didn't but couldn't wait for them to get to the stores. When I asked why he said because they looked like a MacBook Air but ran Windows which most customers are familiar with. Tablets ans phones are a whole other story. Microsoft doesn't have the foothold in enterprise; familiarity isn't there. People are totally content and comfortable buying Apple and Android devices. And with BYOD becoming pervasive in the enterprise employees can easily use iPhones, iPads and Android devices at work. Not sure how Microsoft turns that around unless they give corporations deep discounts on Surface Pro devices. But that would just piss off their OEM partners who sell PCs to corporations. And then Microsoft could run into OEM's going the way of Cromebooks and cheap Android tablets.

I think Microsoft has lots of issues but with Ballmer running the show nothing is going to change. And as long as Bill Gates is Chairman, Ballmer isn't going anywhere unfortunately.
post #254 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightware View Post

Moreover, when the iPhone was first released it was only an EDGE device at a time when I owned a HTC 3G Touch-screen phone, the App Store had not yet been envisioned, and the $500-600 device was not subsidized.

Bottom line: Steve Jobs & Company didn't get it right the first time around. It was a full year before the App Store arrived, the faster iPhone 3G was introduced, and the price dropped by more than 50% due to a generous subsidy from AT&T.

Why exactly does this Apple Insider author believe that Microsoft should be held to higher standard?

Few companies get it totally right the first time around.  That's why some technology consumers have a strict policy of never buying version 1 of anything.  That policy sure worked well for me when I deferred my first iPhone purchase for a full year.
When the iPhone was first announced wasn't it the first phone with multi touch? Limitations were overlooked because of the multi touch UI interface. And of course Apple had Steve Jobs as a salesman. Microsoft doesn't have anyone like that.
post #255 of 321
Like so many have said before, MS has become an outdated joke. I have the iPad mini 32 gig and it is by far one of the best effing investment I have ever made!!!
It works near flawlessly. It is like whatever you can think of it can do.
I can crate a spreadsheet using numbers in seconds, then go over to pages and write a paper all while I downloading an episode of The Walking Dead. damn!
Screw Windows.
post #256 of 321
Quote:

Poorly.

When I look at iOS7 it looks rather as if Apple were copying Microsoft. That's why iOS7 is so ugly.
post #257 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdir View Post

When I look at iOS7 it looks rather as if Apple were copying Microsoft. That's why iOS7 is so ugly.
How does iOS 7 looks anything like Microsoft's live tiles?
post #258 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightware View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When the iPhone was first announced wasn't it the first phone with multi touch? Limitations were overlooked because of the multi touch UI interface. And of course Apple had Steve Jobs as a salesman. Microsoft doesn't have anyone like that.

Imagine if everyone never bought version 1 of anything.

Thank goodness I didn't or don't. Thank goodness a lot of us, or however you define technology consumers, Apple, Mac or iOS product developers didn't or do. 

Thank Steve because he did get the iPod, iPhone and iPad right the first time around, just like about everything else he brought us. 

Thank goodness for Steve letting millions of us enjoy the ride. Letting many of us help define and smooth the bumps along the way; to see, what some perceive as limitations while others, as opportunities.

And imagine, if a lot more of us had waited for Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, etc., to finish copying in order to get it right the first time around.

And thank goodness that my parents didn't wait to get it right the first time around either…but there are others, I do wish, had.

post #259 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

And imagine, if a lot more of us had waited for Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, etc., to finish copying in order to get it right the first time around.

What did Nokia copy or are you just assuming that every manufacturer can't innovate and just blatantly copies Apple?1hmm.gif Nokia was one of the first to have a Camera on their phones, SMS, MMS, WAP, Email, App Store, Bluetooth, NFC, ect.

Hey looky here, apps displayed in a grid;

Wait is that Map directions in 2004

Or Internet

Or First International Camera Phone in 2002 with grid icons

Edited by Relic - 7/21/13 at 4:04pm
post #260 of 321
Over the years "blog" journalism has shifted to articles such as this, which for me are not enjoyable reads. I can relish in a bit of tasty reminders of how MS or Google has landed flat on their faces. However, I would rather read something that hits home by citing untainted factual timelines, decisions trees, and other decisive attributes.
post #261 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

lol your own VGChartz shows that almost every multiplatform game that gets released on Xbox 360 and PS3 sells more on Xbox 360

Every COD game has outsold on Xbox 360 over PS3
Almost EVERY IP for Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 IP
Skyrim Xbox 360 over PS3
Top Selling Xbox 360 game DWARFS the top selling PS3 Exclusive by 2:1 in global sales

It's also worth mentioning that Xbox 360 did PATHETIC in the Japanese market, and even doing so horrible, completely takes over PS3 in terms of game sales.

This along with the fact that Sony lost around $5 Billion on the PS3 while Microsoft lost around $3 Billion

So like I said, PS3 has NOT dominated the gaming market (most people that bought it probably got it for the Blu Ray) and sucks in profits. So yes, It's a FLOP!

i guess you cant read. right on the front page, the top _two_ games worldwide are both on the PS3.  The PS3 is selling more world wide than the Wii U and the XBox 360.  The brick box 360 with a 51%+ failure rate co

i would take this source over yours anyday: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-microsoft-losses-on-xbox-2012-6

Micrososft has lost over 4 billion on the xbox 360 excluding the first couple years of losses so their losses are probably north of 5 billion.So, maybe in your fantasy world the PS3 is a flop, but in this world, the PS3 is DOMINATING the failed BrickBox 360 which is in _last_ place in sales. School is out.

post #262 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

Interesting.

As a former editior, I would admit that a couple of the above could example sarcasm. However, certainly not overtly stated, or frequency.

If there are any examples true sarcasm*, it seems to come for a vitriolic trolls that can't wait for anyone to be positive about Apple…

As a former editor maybe you should have proofread your post. I highlighted the parts you may want to look at. You also only need one period at the end of a sentence.

This was a poorly written article regardless of ones personal view of Apple. I'm a huge fan of Apple products and services and agree with some of the op's conclusions. You must have read another article if you are arguing that this one lacked any true examples of sarcasm.
post #263 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I still maintain that the Surface RT and the Surface Pro are actually hybrid laptops.  

You have to use them in landscape mode, and you have to use the attached (but detachable) keyboard, and you have to put them down on a table to make them even work, or to get the benefits out of them that Microsoft is selling.  They also run desktop software and work best with a mouse.  Sure they tell us it's a tablet, but other than the name I don't see the difference between them and some of Dell's convertible laptops, or the (Acer?) ones with the detachable screen.  

They are fucking laptops, not tablets.  They are screwed up little hybrid laptops for people that want to think they have a tablet, but can't really let go of the past.  

It's what you get if start with a Windows PC instead of a clean slate. The Surface RT could have differentiated itself from the x86 Windows Tablets by not having a desktop mode, and maybe even go further into Post-PC experience. But alas, they couldn't just leave it behind, even though there is absolutely ZERO legacy ARM Windows desktop apps that Surface RT has to support. This made me realize the desktop mode isn't considered vestigial, but rather an essential part for the Microsoft vision of what a Windows tablet should be. I think deep down inside, they're terrified of going "there" -- the post-PC world. Unlike Apple, who will gladly cannibalize Mac sales for the iPad, Microsoft seems hesitant to cannibalize sales from their own cash cow, x86 Windows. So Surface RT is just an ARM version of Windows 8, crippled by binary incompatibility. I hardly see the point of it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #264 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdir View Post

Here's a great article with numerous examples of how Apple is not copying anyone...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/22/editorial-ios-7-shows-how-apple-is-leading-mobile-computing
post #265 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Another so-called 'editorial' serving as a vehicle for DED's self-indulgence in his Apple monomania.

Calling this bilge an editorial devalues the whole site.

You mean the frequent spelling and grammar errors, formatting errors, flame bait articles and unmonitored forums didn't?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #266 of 321
Quote:

1993     Apple Newton

1991    Microsoft releases Windows for Pen Computing, a tablet OS. And yes, I've used it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_for_Pen_Computing

FWIW, the Apple started development on the Newton in 1987.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #267 of 321
Re : icons on Nokia. Yep just like the newton OS. Jesus, don't you fandroids ever think for yourselves instead of pre-packaged 'trolling-points'? God, you're boring. As boring as Microsoft Office.
post #268 of 321

I thought the title "The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT" referred to this:

Gotta love Sinofsky's expression at 00:31. Priceless.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #269 of 321
Quote:

Here's a great article with numerous examples of how Apple is not copying anyone...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/22/editorial-ios-7-shows-how-apple-is-leading-mobile-computing

We've all read that one already. A link from a more neutral website would've served your point better.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #270 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

1991    Microsoft releases Windows for Pen Computing, a tablet OS. And yes, I've used it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_for_Pen_Computing

FWIW, the Apple started development on the Newton in 1987.

Correct, and tablets go back even further in Apple's DNA. Alan Kay originally proposed the idea of DynaBook in the early 1970s at Xerox PARC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36NNGzNvjo). Kay was one of the many Xerox people who went to work for Apple (joining Jef Raskin who was working on similar ideas and who had primed Jobs for his visit to PARC). Kay got many ideas from Bob Barton, particularly 'develop software first because hardware should be constrained by software and not vice versa'. I already corrected someone who propagated the false platitude that Apple was only good at designing hardware. (See Barton's 1963 New Approach http://www.scribd.com/doc/61812037/Barton-B5000.)

These ideas also came from recently departed Doug Englebart and the 'mother of all demonstrations' who had been inspired by Vannevar Bush who envisaged hypertext in the 1940s.

post #271 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does iOS 7 looks anything like Microsoft's live tiles?

It does not, however, the look seems closer to W8P than iOS 6 to me (the icons).

But, look and feel are just things that products magically do, nothing important.  No need to sue over it or anything.

(Sorry, I could not help myself, there is not much similarity from what I see between W8P and iOS7.  Once I use iOS7, I will judge it)

-QAMF

Active on S}A forums.  S|A student level subscriber.  Don't claim to know what is in the articles.

Active on S}A forums.  S|A student level subscriber.  Don't claim to know what is in the articles.

post #272 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

As a former editor maybe you should have proofread your post. I highlighted the parts you may want to look at. You also only need one period at the end of a sentence.

This was a poorly written article regardless of ones personal view of Apple. I'm a huge fan of Apple products and services and agree with some of the op's conclusions. You must have read another article if you are arguing that this one lacked any true examples of sarcasm.

I'd let up on linking errors in text to errors in meaning if I were you. I didn't see any sarcasm in the article that wasn't wonderfully understated. I don't know how DED holds himself back as much as he does to be honest.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #273 of 321

I predicted the RT would be a failure right from the start; anyone wanting a Surface would never bother with that model since it's pretty much useless without a developer community.  Microsoft, however, seems to have jumped on it head first when they could have, for example, invested that $1b paying actual developers to write software for their platform.  I sure would have worked for it if they promised me, say, $50-100k as a reward for a decent free app.  Let us not forget that we're talking about $1b here, at $100k per developer they could have bought 10k apps.

post #274 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

This is not an editorial, it's a hit job opinion piece. This piece presents a lot of opinions as factual data with no source of validity. While I agree with some of your observations, this is poor journalism. The sarcastic tone does not help establish your topic that Surface RT was a failure. This editorial simply displays a level of fanatical "fanboyism" for apple that is usually not displayed in journalism. Again, you are entitled to your opinions and had this been posted under a personal opinion column I wouldn't think less of Appleinsider. Appleinsider is, after all, an Apple news and fan site. I am a very sarcastic person myself and can appreciate a well placed sarcastic quip to accentuate a point. There is plenty of empirical data to present that support the conclusions you posted as self-evident. Lastly, yes I am aware that an editorial is an opinion piece, one that is supposed to reflect the organization's position on a particular topic. If this is the level of editorial that Appleinsider wants to present to the world, I will look elsewhere for my Apple news. I sincerely hope that you can recognize constructive critique and will reevaluate the professionalism of Appleinsider.

o-Patrick

Bye 1smile.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #275 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Remember when IBM was the only company that mattered in what was then called Data Processing? Then along came Microsoft and stepped right over them to ride the PC revolution wave. Then it was MS's turn to get fat and lazy as Apple did the same to them with the hand-held revolution. Here's hoping Apple can avoid the fate of previous front-runners.

No worries.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #276 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hey, guys I dislike MS as much as the next guy... including DED!

I just try not to let my emotions confuse/color my logic.

MS Has done some good things and deserves credit for them -- early Word, Excel, Access -- not to mention investing in Apple ($ and Office Support) when Steve returned. Sure, these were driven by self interest,,, but who / what public company isn't?

IMO, the problem with DED's rants is they are usually a verbose over-the-top rehash of the same-old, same-old. They give the impression of recounting history -- but you have only DED's perspective and no conflicting facts or points of view are included. And, if you post any challenge to an AI article of his -- he often takes issue and demeans the challenge and poster using the pseudonym "Corrections". Why is that permitted?

Sometimes, though very seldom, I am pleasantly surprised by a a concise, unbiased DED article.

Are you serious? You actually cite Word here? Word, along with the entire, suite aka Office was an Apple project for the Mac Plus. Steve hired that reprobate Gates and his fledgling company Microsoft to develop it. In doing so Gates was allowed access to Mac OS. The result was Windows. I have a Mac Plus and all the disks including Word and Multiplan (aka Excel) and the rest right here. You need to read upon exactly why MS invested in Apple . Hint, Quicktime law suit. Sorry I always appreciate your posts but this touched a nerve. I was there at the time, I don't need DED to tell me what actually happened.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #277 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Correct, and tablets go back even further in Apple's DNA. Alan Kay originally proposed the idea of DynaBook in the early 1970s at Xerox PARC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36NNGzNvjo). Kay was one of the many Xerox people who went to work for Apple (joining Jef Raskin who was working on similar ideas and who had primed Jobs for his visit to PARC). Kay got many ideas from Bob Barton, particularly 'develop software first because hardware should be constrained by software and not vice versa'. I already corrected someone who propagated the false platitude that Apple was only good at designing hardware. (See Barton's 1963 New Approach http://www.scribd.com/doc/61812037/Barton-B5000.)
These ideas also came from recently departed Doug Englebart and the 'mother of all demonstrations' who had been inspired by Vannevar Bush who envisaged hypertext in the 1940s.

The IBM News Pad predates them all. It was, after all, from the future, just like Scotty gave us the formula for inventing transparent aluminum 1smile.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #278 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Exactly. This year is the first year that I went on vacation and I only brought along an iPad with me. I wasn't sure how that was going to work out, since I'd been so used to bringing Macbooks with me in the past, but it's worked out pretty good so far. Last year I brought along both a Macbook and an iPad, but I decided to leave the laptop at home this time, to save a few pounds, since certain airlines are getting stingier and stingier with their luggage allowances.

I check the internet, i check emails, I occasionally troll forums, I watch movies, I listen to music and I even create music every once in a while. I don't need to do any heavy duty computing on my vacation, and an iPad has worked out great. I'm even writing this post on the iPad, and I'm actually pretty damn fast at typing on the iPad now.

For the average person, an iPad is all that they'll ever need.

The way you are wording this, it almost looks like as if iPad is the only tablet that can do that.

While the real truth is, any current Windows, Android and iOS tablet can do that for average customer. iPad will take them further in the world of custom pocket-size apps, while Windows tablet will enable them easier cooperation with their home/work networks and computers. Android probably sits somewhere in between.
post #279 of 321
The reason Microsoft Surface is failing is Windows 8, which is in-between the old interface and the new new interface Metro. I believe that once developer migrate from programs to apps the surface will become much more successful.
post #280 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabrysPHX View Post

Re : icons on Nokia. Yep just like the newton OS. Jesus, don't you fandroids ever think for yourselves instead of pre-packaged 'trolling-points'? God, you're boring. As boring as Microsoft Office.

If you want to go that route, Psion released the Series 3 before the Newton and those Nokia phones I posted run Symbian, not Android. I was making the point that Nokia doesn't blatantly rip ideas from Apple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT