or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple toying with larger iPhone screen and 13" iPad - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple toying with larger iPhone screen and 13" iPad - report - Page 2

post #41 of 102
13" iPad would be amazing for enterprise (by that I mean the workplace, not the starship).
post #42 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I'd happily buy a 13" or even 15" iPad. The 10" model is already too big for my pocket so anything that fits into my bag is good.

 

Still waiting a coffee table running iOS too. :)

Agreed. I think the iOS economy is big enough to support the following:

 

4" iphone for ultimate portability

5" iphone for those who want a phablet

8" ipad for tablet mobility

10" ipad - the classic size

13" ipad for the coffee table etc

 

How they work out the resolution issues is the main task. Retina resolutions will take most of the fuzziness out of resizing pixel-perfect apps to fit (before the developer releases a native version).

post #43 of 102
Business would like this. I find i am using my iPad to present more and more... Retail... there are some applications I think a larger screen would be advantage... Really having a full range of sizes is not a bad idea, there are so many untapped uses for these things... I use one to show my portfolio to clients, I love the mini for personal use, I have one my desk with just stock info.. my kids watch movies, games... its just so versatile... more sizes please.
post #44 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

So you can move to the iPhone from the iPad, and move to the iPad from the iPhone, without having to buy new software. For instance my mother has an Android phone and an iPad. She likes the iPad where she has lots of apps - self downloaded - and on the Android she has nothing. She just got it because the salesman sold it, normal story. I got her the iPad.

She has asked me would the (more expensive iPhone) be worth it on her next upgrade, in particular could she use her apps. I say, no. Cant be guaranteed. She may have to buy different apps, or the iPhone version.

So no sale. This will encourage universal apps, and nothing will stop people using some iPad UI, and vice versa, where necessary.

I think you gave your mother terribly misleading advice. Most apps are in fact of the "+" kind where one purchase provides a dedicated app for both the iPhone and iPad.
post #45 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

How they work out the resolution issues is the main task.

If they stuck with the same resolution as the Retina iPad, the physical size of a 13" model would allow them to run two apps side-by-side with the physical dimensions of two iPad Minis with an exact 50/50 split down the middle of the screen. When rotated, both apps would have to rotate and the split switch orientation.

It could be a bit heavy though. Regardless, these 'reports' are just the same things that have been swirled around for years:

http://www.devicemag.com/2010/02/01/apple-rumored-to-be-making-a-bigger-ipad-version-that-would-run-mac-os-x/

It's getting a bit tiring seeing the same threads over and over. We know some people like bigger screens but until there are photos of bigger iOS devices, I think it's safer to just assume Apple has no such thing in the works rather than endlessly regurgitate the same talking points. It's been years now and it hasn't happened and I don't think it's likely to happen this year because this is the year they do the spec upgrades not the design changes.
post #46 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

Agreed. I think the iOS economy is big enough to support the following:

4" iphone for ultimate portability
5" iphone for those who want a phablet
Well 4" isn't exactly ultimate portability. I prefer the 3.5" myself, and even that's not ultimate. I'd like to see maybe a 3" form factor, especially if they are going to force the 4" aspect ratio on me ...

There's absolutely no reason not to have a 5"+ phone if there's a market for it. Just put the same guts in a new case with a larger battery and screen and it's the ultimate power management phone. The premium Apple can charge more than makes up for the new case design. Sadly, going smaller on the other hand is not as easy.
post #47 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

There's absolutely no reason not to have a 5"+ phone if there's a market for it.

Of course there is. What sort of nonsense statement is that?
post #48 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

In fact I'm a huge apple fanboy and am jealous of the GS4.

Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #49 of 102

As a performing musician, regularly using ForScore, PLEASE bring on the 13-incher!

 

P.S.  Phone size is already optimal, no need for anything larger.

post #50 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

13" iPad would be amazing for enterprise (by that I mean the workplace, not the starship).

 

And just what is wrong with having it on a starship???
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #51 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

I can't believe some of you are stuck on the "it's stupid to make a bigger iPhone" ideology. You were all probably making the same comments about the iPad mini because the iPad was the perfect size.

 

Indeed. Lots of the fans here were all over the place with comments like "Apple will never do that"...   Unfortunatly, it will be a big suprise if Apple release a bigger iphone this year, I am affraid its not going to be until 2014. Well at least we will be getting a low cost version this year.

post #52 of 102
As someone who now suffers from nerve damage in the fingers, the smallish (comparatively speaking) screen of the iPhones have stopped me from purchasing one. It's especially upsetting since I've been Apple since 1979 (okay, I've been labeled a "Fanboy" but accept the compliment).

And while a larger screened iPad would siphon sales from the MacBook Air laptops, reasonable pricing starting at maybe $699 or $799 might be a niche Apple develop. I would certainly pay $1000 or so for a 13" 256 gig WiFi 4G iPad. Too expensive? Not for someone who does't need a keyboard 90% of the time. And for graphics, I've got my trusty, really reliable 27" iMac.
post #53 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

 

And just what is wrong with having it on a starship???

 

As long as Seven of Nine is there, nothing is wrong.  Nothing at all. :)

post #54 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Making the product that people tell you they want is the wrong thing to do.

 

Well, depends of youre point of view. I could say people paying $650 for a premium 4" phone are idiots because I need a bigger screen, but since I understand some people do prefer a smaller screen I wont.

 

It will be interesting to see how the sales of the low cost iphone will compare to the high end 5s. If fact, I would be very curious to see how a low cost 4", a high end 4" and a high end 5" sales would split up. If Apple can come up with a way to manage screen resolution and apps for all 3 models, it would be in Apple best interest to release them.

post #55 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

And just what is wrong with having it on a starship???

They already have one. I don't see any Apple logo. Sucks.

http://wp.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Screen-shot-2010-03-30-at-3.57.45-PM.png
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #56 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And dumb people want dumb things, yes.

LOL how is choice bad? If there's a market for it, might as well make it. Are some of the MB Air or MB Pro or iPad sizes "dumb" just because you personally prefer another size?
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #57 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

I can't believe some of you are stuck on the "it's stupid to make a bigger iPhone" ideology. You were all probably making the same comments about the iPad mini because the iPad was the perfect size. It wasn't. Different people want different things. I often see people using two hands to type on their iPhone. I want a bigger iPhone. The iPhone 5 is too small for me. I know tons of friends that want bigger phones. In fact I'm a huge apple fanboy and am jealous of the GS4.

Oh you should have seen all the frothing at the mouth here about the stupidity of Samsung to make a 7" tablet.  The Lord Jobs said nothing smaller than the original iPad could be any good because their research proved it.  Of course everyone agreed with Jobs until the iPad min came out, then it was the best idea since sliced bread.

 

I'm almost surprised there weren't claims that Samsung copied Apple because they had advance knowledge and beat them to market with their own idea.


Edited by cnocbui - 7/22/13 at 12:47pm
post #58 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post


LOL how is choice bad? If there's a market for it, might as well make it. Are some of the MB Air or MB Pro or iPad sizes "dumb" just because you personally prefer another size?

 

I'm not going to call it "dumb" per se, but I see it as a bad move -- and an anti-Apple one at that -- to create more and more products for no discernible benefit.

 

Right now, Apple produces a very small number of products.  This has been a VERY successful formula for years now.  Why would Apple want to try and be Dell or Samsung?  Let Dell and Samsung be Dell and Samsung.

 

Apple should maintain their eagle-eyed focus on the handful of products they make (plus the few they no doubt have in the pipeline).  

post #59 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'm not going to call it "dumb" per se, but I see it as a bad move -- and an anti-Apple one at that -- to create more and more products for no discernible benefit.

Right now, Apple produces a very small number of products.  This has been a VERY successful formula for years now.  Why would Apple want to try and be Dell or Samsung?  Let Dell and Samsung be Dell and Samsung.

Apple should maintain their eagle-eyed focus on the handful of products they make (plus the few they no doubt have in the pipeline).  

So would it have been better to have only one size MB Air, MB Pro, iMac, iPad, etc. then? "Discernable benefit" has always been highly subjective.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #60 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course there is. What sort of nonsense statement is that?

And what reason is that? Pride? Arrogance? Whatever the reason might be, it's not a smart business decision.
post #61 of 102

That is probably a good idea. If they design an aluminum keyboard designed specifically for the iPad, it will be amazing!

post #62 of 102
I would love a 13" iPad! At that size the keyboard would probably be large enough to type on just like a regular keyboard, which is something I've wanted from tablets from day one.

The larger iPhone is a given, and this talk of resolution independence in iOS 7 is pointing to a break from the practice of doubling pixels when increasing resolution. That will make a large screen much easier to implement as Apple wouldn't have to wait so long for suppliers to reliably create screens with outrageous pixel densities above 500. Lots of suppliers are reliably creating 1080p displays at sizes between 4.7" and 5".
post #63 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post


So would it have been better to have only one size MB Air, MB Pro, iMac, iPad, etc. then? "Discernable benefit" has always been highly subjective.

 

Having TWO different sizes in a desktop/laptop machine is a very, very different prospect than introducing differently sized iPads.  Obviously.

 

And the point isn't that there should only be one size iPad.  The point is how far do you want to go?  A 13" iPad would sell ... to niche users, with obscure use case needs.  When has that been Apple's approach?

 

Apple staying focused on a handful -- ok, a couple of handfuls -- of products is one of the reasons why I believe they are able maintain quality, distinction, and a movement in a forward direction.

post #64 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

LOL how is choice bad?



You cannot mean that.
Quote:
If there's a market for it, might as well make it.

Except that's the opposite of everything Apple has ever done, ever, during-, post-, back-, and post-Steve, and the reason that every single other company in every industry in which Apple competes is making next to zero money or leaving the industry entirely.

Please think about what you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

And what reason is that? Pride? Arrogance? Whatever the reason might be, it's not a smart business decision.

Common sense, money, actually looking at the usage stats... 1oyvey.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

You'll learn about TS the longer you come here. His opinions are facts and other's opinions are worthless.

Think for a second: do you REALLY want to take the side of the person that says "how is choice bad"? 1rolleyes.gif
post #65 of 102
Tallest Skil, explain why having two sizes or MBA, MBP, iPad works, but is terrible for the iPhone again? Oh, right. You can't.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #66 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Having TWO different sizes in a desktop/laptop machine is a very, very different prospect than introducing differently sized iPads.  Obviously.

And the point isn't that there should only be one size iPad.  The point is how far do you want to go?  A 13" iPad would sell ... to niche users, with obscure use case needs.  When has that been Apple's approach?

Apple staying focused on a handful -- ok, a couple of handfuls -- of products is one of the reasons why I believe they are able maintain quality, distinction, and a movement in a forward direction.

Explain the differences that make it fine to have two sizes of MBA, MBP, iPad, etc. but not for the iPhone. I doubt you'll have any that are significant.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #67 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Tallest Skil, explain why having two sizes or MBA, MBP, iPad works, but is terrible for the iPhone again? Oh, right. You can't.

Explain how that's the argument at hand first. I won't be strawmanned. 1oyvey.gif
post #68 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Common sense, money, actually looking at the usage stats... 1oyvey.gif
 

 

That makes no sense.  What common sense would guide a company to not address a wider swath of the market?

 

Money is not an issue for Apple at all.  They could develop prototypes simply to throw into a furnace to heat the campus for the next 15 years and be no worse off.

 

Usage stats don't tell you about the market for a larger iPhone.  I have to assume you're referring to the web usage data.  Let's go with that for argument's sake.  Right now Android is at 28% of the usage share, and that share is likely almost solely due to the flagship models, which are all large.  For simplicity if we assume that Apple's web usage share is due entirely to iPhone usage and if we assume that iPhones outsell all flagship Android models by a ratio greater than about 2:1 (which I don't know about, but most members here would say they do), then each large-screened flagship Android phone is being used to consume more web content than each iPhone.

 

You'll likely ignore all of that reasoning, so I'll just pose a question.  Apple is doing fine right now, but what if they could be doing even better?

post #69 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post


Explain the differences that make it fine to have two sizes of MBA, MBP, iPad, etc. but not for the iPhone. I doubt you'll have any that are significant.

 

The main difference is that the way apps interact with resolution on an iOS device is different than the way applications interact with resolution on an OSX device.

 

Also On an iOS device, the app is the only thing on the screen, and elements need to be designed for a touch interface.  On an OSX device, the number of applications visible -- and thus able to be interacted with -- can be a very large number.  For instance, on the my desktop #4 on my iMac 27", the one I use for TextEdit and Notes, there are presently 11 different open windows, all of which I can see a portion of (and in some cases, I can see all of a window).  I can interact with each and every one; for instance, I can scroll on a window that is behind two different windows, since I just need to move the cursor over that window.  This doesn't change the active window, however.

 

And this doesn't even touch on the menu-bar and dock.

 

One my desktop #1, I have Twitter, 2 Safari screens, and a Chrome (don't ask) screen a visible.

 

This sort of behavior isn't possible on an iPad, obviously.  And to be honest, with a touch interface, I'm not entirely sure why one would it want it to be.  The keyboard/trackpad paradigm and the touch paradigm are simply two very different approaches.  Apple realized this from the beginning, which is why we have iOS and OSX.

 

But does the 10" iPad really limit what anyone can do, except for those few niche use cases I mentioned before?  What advantage would there be to having two sizes?  And let's face it: Introducing a lower volume model would likely mean that the components would cost more (due to scale).

post #70 of 102
If they create an iOS-based laptop, they have to call it an eMate. Or maybe an iMate for consistency...
post #71 of 102

Well let's do some math.

 

If today's iPhone apps are made at 1136 x 640 and 960 x 640 and Apple is experimenting with an increase to the size of the display... let's say they want to make it a 4.3 inch display instead of their current display.

 

The resolution would be increased by .3 percent on each side, being 20 pixels more rounded off from 19.2 being 660 width and 1170 height at 326 ppi

 

There are new IGZO display technologies being developed by sharp which enable the ppi to be quadrupled and if Apple would keep their current display at 1136 x 960 they could increase the ppi to 489 if they went with a 1.5 ppi increase and that would give them a resolution of 1704 x 960 and that's still at 1.5x their ppi. If they went to 1.8x their ppi they could possible reach a 4.3 inch display at 2044 x 1152 which is even above the standard of HD at 4.3 inches, so 4.2 inches and below would end up being the resolution of 1930x1088 at 1.7x their current 326 ppi. Apple can reach the standard of 1920x1080 below that 4.2 inch mark at 554 ppi for the 1930x1088 so a slightly lower ppi might be used at 1.69 x the 1136 and 960 resolution giving enough room for improvement in the future of the x2 resolution of 1136x960 mark x 2 at 2272 x 1920 which is reachable with igzo displays at 652 ppi


So in conclusion Apple would have to bump their display size up by less than .3 inches to gain full 1920 x 1080 format if they used IGZO displays at 1.69x their current ppi rounding off to 554 pixels per inch or lower.

 

That being said Apple developed icons for their current iPhone at 326 ppi so unless iOS 7 has hidden icons at a higher ppi there is no true display size bump up.

 

Only time will tell when a jailbreak is reached.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

 

Reply
post #72 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The main difference is that the way apps interact with resolution on an iOS device is different than the way applications interact with resolution on an OSX device.

Also On an iOS device, the app is the only thing on the screen, and elements need to be designed for a touch interface.  On an OSX device, the number of applications visible -- and thus able to be interacted with -- can be a very large number.  For instance, on the my desktop #4 on my iMac 27", the one I use for TextEdit and Notes, there are presently 11 different open windows, all of which I can see a portion of (and in some cases, I can see all of a window).  I can interact with each and every one; for instance, I can scroll on a window that is behind two different windows, since I just need to move the cursor over that window.  This doesn't change the active window, however.

And this doesn't even touch on the menu-bar and dock.

One my desktop #1, I have Twitter, 2 Safari screens, and a Chrome (don't ask) screen a visible.

This sort of behavior isn't possible on an iPad, obviously.  And to be honest, with a touch interface, I'm not entirely sure why one would it want it to be.  The keyboard/trackpad paradigm and the touch paradigm are simply two very different approaches.  Apple realized this from the beginning, which is why we have iOS and OSX.

But does the 10" iPad really limit what anyone can do, except for those few niche use cases I mentioned before?  What advantage would there be to having two sizes?  And let's face it: Introducing a lower volume model would likely mean that the components would cost more (due to scale).

Not only are people making the same arguments regarding different sized iPhones as they made about the iPad last year, we now have people making last years arguments. Again.

We have two sizes of iPad already.

Seriously.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #73 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The main difference is that the way apps interact with resolution on an iOS device is different than the way applications interact with resolution on an OSX device.

Also On an iOS device, the app is the only thing on the screen, and elements need to be designed for a touch interface.  On an OSX device, the number of applications visible -- and thus able to be interacted with -- can be a very large number.  For instance, on the my desktop #4 on my iMac 27", the one I use for TextEdit and Notes, there are presently 11 different open windows, all of which I can see a portion of (and in some cases, I can see all of a window).  I can interact with each and every one; for instance, I can scroll on a window that is behind two different windows, since I just need to move the cursor over that window.  This doesn't change the active window, however.

And this doesn't even touch on the menu-bar and dock.

One my desktop #1, I have Twitter, 2 Safari screens, and a Chrome (don't ask) screen a visible.

This sort of behavior isn't possible on an iPad, obviously.  And to be honest, with a touch interface, I'm not entirely sure why one would it want it to be.  The keyboard/trackpad paradigm and the touch paradigm are simply two very different approaches.  Apple realized this from the beginning, which is why we have iOS and OSX.

But does the 10" iPad really limit what anyone can do, except for those few niche use cases I mentioned before?  What advantage would there be to having two sizes?  And let's face it: Introducing a lower volume model would likely mean that the components would cost more (due to scale).

Thank you for your input, but I was not talking about the iPad, which already affords a choice for two common usage cases, but the iPhone, which has been limited to one size which I believe is a poor compromise between the excellent one-handed use 3.5 size and a larger size for those who don't need one-handed use.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
Reply
post #74 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post


Thank you for your input, but I was not talking about the iPad, which already affords a choice for two common usage cases, but the iPhone, which has been limited to one size which I believe is a poor compromise between the excellent one-handed use 3.5 size and a larger size for those who don't need one-handed use.

 

Sorry.  I'm tired. :)

 

I do not feel it's a poor compromise, but different strokes, and all that.

post #75 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

That makes no sense.  What common sense would guide a company to not address a wider swath of the market?

The usage stats... which show that larger phones... don't make up a wider swath of the market.
Quote:
Money is not an issue for Apple at all.

Which doesn't mean they can throw intelligence to the wind and come out with crap.

Do you know anything about Apple?
Quote:
They could develop prototypes simply to throw into a furnace to heat the campus for the next 15 years and be no worse off.

Why should we listen to the whims of someone who wants companies to waste their shareholders' money?
Quote:
You'll likely ignore all of that reasoning...

Only because it's wrong; not because it's contrary.
Quote:
Apple is doing fine right now, but what if they could be doing even better?

An extra billion in revenue (NOT PROFIT) a quarter isn't meaningfully better.
post #76 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The usage stats... which show that larger phones... don't make up a wider swath of the market.

Do you know anything about Apple?
Why should we listen to the whims of someone who wants companies to waste their shareholders' money?

Apple would address a wider swath of the market by continuing to sell their current 4" model while expanding the lineup to include a larger model. They don't have to stop selling the current model to sell a new one. Don't be obtuse.

For the record I don't recommend that Apple burn prototypes for heat. I was using hyperbole.
post #77 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Apple would address a wider swath of the market by continuing to sell their current 4" model while expanding the lineup to include a larger model. They don't have to stop selling the current model to sell a new one. Don't be obtuse.

And don't claim I've said things I haven't. In your model, they cut out a larger portion of the market than if they were to keep up what they're doing now.
Quote:
For the record I don't recommend that Apple burn prototypes for heat. I was using hyperbole.

And that I did not interpret your statement as such is already evident in my reply.
post #78 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

0.4 inches really isn't much, unless you're talking about the 16:9 screen ratios of those tablets? I personally find large 16:9 tablets odd to use in that everything is too narrow in portrait, and in landscape everything is short.  
It depends upon what your are using it for. If they where to target the portable player market as a major selling point a 16:9 or a 16:10 screen would work well.
Quote:


Probably won't happen yet. There are still too many things in OS X that are not finger friendly and need the precision of a mouse/trackpad. We will probably see more functionality from OS X make it's way into iOS instead of OS X becoming a touch based interface. At least not yet.
They will likely remain separate products for some time. I would see them merging with some sort of on board AI to facilitate interfacing to the OS. People tend to look towards the past instead of the future. The future is AI as a facilitator of computer usage.
Quote:

Good news is that iOS 7 for iPad appears to still be in its infancy so maybe we'll see some surprises in usability when Apple unveils the new iPads pre-loaded with iOS 7.

Well hopefully!
post #79 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Personally, I can't for the life of me see the value in increasing the size of the iPad. I can't imagine a single use case where that would be beneficial.

A sit down at the table tablet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The only problem with a 13inch, is weight and battery life.  If they can figure out a way to do a 13inch iPad that weights 1.5 lbs or less, long battery life, the hook might grab my inner check and I'd probably bite.  
Both of those are apples main goals.

If apple were to release a 13 IPad this year (not that they likely will). 13 inches retina start off.

128-$800. 256-$900. 512-$1050. Good price point?

Quard core A7X chip 2 gb ram (above normal specs for A7)

5 megapixel iSight camera, 1.5 megapixel FaceTime.

12 hour battery life on web-(LTE same for same price)

New stero sound.

Yes forgot about the minus $100 for a wifi only as low as $700

Is this good specs?
post #80 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusephe View Post


Nice point ! Apple should stay with 3,5 but now when we got 4 inches it starts to get over the "ultra comfortable one hand usability"
I know many android fans were telling me that their 4.3, 4.5, or even 4.8 are "comfortable" to use with one hand, but iPhone was ultra comfortable.
Now If Apple wants to be ultra comfortable again they shouldn't make bigger screen but rather shrink the bezel of iPhone 5 to almost nothing in iPhone 6. That could make the phone by up to 8 mm narrower (but 4-5 mm is more realistic). Such huge difference could potentially bring the usability of iPhone 5 back to previous iPhones level while offering a bigger screen.

Most people have two hands available anyway so who cares if it is "ultracomfortable" for one hand operation? I don't.

 

But I would like to be able to see the crap on my phone without reading glasses.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple toying with larger iPhone screen and 13" iPad - report