or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung launches its own "WWDC" as an alternative to Google IO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung launches its own "WWDC" as an alternative to Google IO

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
Samsung will host its own developer conference this October in San Francisco, promoting its own Software Development Kits and tools rather than simply remaining a passive licensee of Google's Android and Chrome OS.

Samsung dev conf


A report by Ars cited a Samsung representative as saying that the Samsung Developer Conference would be a ?cross-product, cross-platform? event.

While most of Samsung's smartphones use Android, usually paired with the company's own proprietary TouchWiz user interface layer, the company also licenses Windows Phone from Microsoft, and builds PCs and netbooks running both Microsoft's Windows and Google's web-based Chrome OS.

The company also began experimented with its own Linux-based Bada platform for smartphones in 2009, efforts it has since folded into a partnership with Intel named Tizen, which can act as an alternative to Android to host Samsung's own TouchWiz.

Tizen is a replacement of the MeeGo program Intel initiated with Nokia in early 2010, which was a merging of two efforts to produce an open source mobile platform the two firms had earlier maintained in parallel: Intel's Moblin and Nokia's Maemo.

The company also develops its own SmartTV products, although as reader Paul Herring commented, "hopefully they'll also be looking at the Smart TV UI. I can't believe a company makes such a ridiculously unfriendly system in 2013!"

Last month, Samsung acquired Boxee for $30 million in an effort to improve its SmartTV offerings.

Boxee is yet another open source project that exists separate from Android and Tizen as operating environments built on top of Linux. It is also embroiled in complaints of violation of the GPLv3.

With its resources spread across Windows, Windows Phone, different versions of Android, Tizen, Boxee and its own proprietary offerings, Samsung has a lot to discuss with developers. The company may seek to harmonize its various platforms. The conference is scheduled for October 27-29.
post #2 of 67

Wow, Samesung really is desperate to be the next Apple, eh?

post #3 of 67

What a top-notch, original idea!
 

post #4 of 67

People will defend this as if it's totally NOT a ripoff.

post #5 of 67
Omg!samsung might drop concentration on android ,if they find their own os not onpar with android,even their is chances to drop alliances
post #6 of 67

Maybe they can benefit from this and make actual useful apps for Android devices. Doubt it though...

 

Nice to see they're going all the way with copying Apple! They might as well go completely all out and start their own Samsung Retail Stores (outside of Best Buy)

post #7 of 67
Forking Android in 5,4,3,...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #8 of 67

Google is going to get screwed by Samsung. It's only a matter of when.

post #9 of 67
And Dr Frankenstein said - Its alive, its alive!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #10 of 67
LOL

GOOGLE is up $14. It has a PE of 27. And it is about to go to war with its biggest distribution "partner"

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #11 of 67
This is not a ripoff. Developer conferences have been going on since the 1980s. Sure, Apple's WWDC is now one of the longer standing developer conferences, because Apple had its own platform. Microsoft has been running conferences probably equally as long. Prior to that there was the homebrew computer club, and from that same era have spring an entire spectrum of conferences from comdex to CES to tiny conferences for small products, all of which have a developer component.

It is the headline of this article that calls it "WWDC", but there's really nothing that appears here to be copying Apple specifically.

Let's be serious here-- Mimicking the Apple store with their own company stores is copying apple. Ripping off the UI of iOS and the design of the iPhone is copying Apple. The "Samsung developers conference" is not copying Apple.

Geesh!
post #12 of 67

Don't all Samsung phones use Google Play?   If yes, then what is the purpose of having a Samsung developers conference?   

 

Is Samsung launching a competitor to Google Play? 

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Wow, Samesung really is desperate to be the next Apple, eh?

You'd better believe it. Samsung wants to be seen as an innovator and not a copycat.
The irony is that innovators don't have that problem to begin with. Only the copycats do.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung dev conf

See this conference room?

Yep, that's the entire thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

GOOGLE is up $14.

They missed their mark! How are they back up?!

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

No kidding. If they're smart, they'll make their own OS/platform.

Agreed! The Apple model is the best providing, of course, you are willing to make the investment in time and money like Apple has and does.

 

It's what HP should have done with Palm's WebOS. HP spent a billion dollars for WebOS and sh*t canned it. A mobile OS right when mobile was taking off and PC sales were tanking! :)

post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

LOL

GOOGLE is up $14. It has a PE of 27. And it is about to go to war with its biggest distribution "partner"

 

Well, they are not going to war yet but its looks like Samsung has an itch to drop google at some point.   IF Samsung pulled an amazon on google, then yes, google is in it to the nose.

 

click ads are shifting from desktop to mobile and if the biggest android handset maker drops google, its going to hurt google income hard.

post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Google is going to get screwed by Samsung. It's only a matter of when.

 

I think so too...its only a matter of time. Maybe other manufacturers will follow suit and Google would be really screwed!

post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Don't all Samsung phones use Google Play?   If yes, then what is the purpose of having a Samsung developers conference?   

Is Samsung launching a competitor to Google Play? 

Answers: No. Only Samsung's Android phones use Google Play. Samsung makes WP, Bada, Java ME as well as other OS based phones. Even Samsung's Android phones have APIs only available to specific models.

Samsung already competes with Google Play with their own store.
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


They missed their mark! How are they back up?!

 

 

Because good is bad and bad is good.  Its been going on with Amazon for years, I am still waiting for that thing to crash. In the end it all comes down to valuation, but when is the question.

 

That being said, google valuation is not so bad, its growth could support it. But amazon, unless it takes over the world it has absolutly no chance at all to support that valuation, ever. It will crash at some point.

post #20 of 67
Watch out Google. Samsung is trying to copy you too. Ha ha ha.
post #21 of 67
SSDC ---> SamSuckers Developers Conference
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/22/13 at 12:10pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #22 of 67

Be sure to check out Session 206: What's New in Ovens and Washers.

post #23 of 67
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Tizen, which can act as an alternative to Android to host Samsung's own TouchWiz.

 

Alternative developer conference today: Samsung Developer Conference.

Alternative to Android tomorrow: Tizen.

 

This is Samsung's chance to differentiate themselves even further from the generic whitebox Chinese Android hardware makers.  Not by forking Android.  By replacing it with Tizen.  And the way to successfully transition from Android to Tizen is by getting developers to transition to Tizen first.

 

Why Tizen?  Because Google is becoming increasingly distracted by Glass and Chrome and various other engineering drains (self-driving cars, anybody?)  Samsung is one of two corporations on the Tizen Technical Steering Group, Intel being the other.  So Tizen will allow Samsung to control their own destiny.  Right now, they don't.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Google is going to get screwed by Samsung. It's only a matter of when.


'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,
    I was carting home a load with manly pride,
When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
    And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
   A high-toned lady, passing by, did chance to say:
"You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
    Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Forking Android in 5,4,3,...

 

...and Galaxy OS in 2, 1....

post #26 of 67

Samsung's bleeding of Google is about to start...

I'll bet this is beginning to raise eyebrows at Googleplex. :)

post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Don't all Samsung phones use Google Play?   If yes, then what is the purpose of having a Samsung developers conference?   

 

Is Samsung launching a competitor to Google Play? 

Samsung already has a competitor to Google Play: http://apps.samsung.com

post #28 of 67
We need spies at this conference. I specifically can't wait to see the design of their presentation slides. I can bet $500 that they will look exactly like the Apple ones, using the same sparse layout, minimal text-per-slide, white-on-black background.

In fact, I will wager another $500 that they will use Keynote to create their keynote.
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Alternative developer conference today: Samsung Developer Conference
.
Alternative to Android tomorrow: Tizen.

This is Samsung's chance to differentiate themselves even further from the generic whitebox Chinese Android hardware makers.  Not by forking Android.  By replacing it with Tizen.  And the way to successfully transition from Android to Tizen is by getting developers to transition to Tizen first.

Why Tizen?  Because Google is becoming increasingly distracted by Glass and Chrome and various other engineering drains (self-driving cars, anybody?)  Samsung is one of two corporations on the Tizen Technical Steering Group, Intel being the other.  So Tizen will allow Samsung to control their own destiny.  Right now, they don't.

Yup. . .
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-postpones-launch-of-first-Tizen-smartphone_id44796

According to reports by Korean media, the tech giant is postponing the launch of this device (or devices) by a couple of months. In other words, Tizen powered handsets likely won't be on the market earlier than October or November, 2013.

The reason behind the delay is said to be related to the software ecosystem, which Samsung wants to build prior to releasing its first Tizen smartphone. Simply put, the company prefers to build a solid catalog of apps and then make the smartphone official, not the other way around.
Edited by Gatorguy - 7/22/13 at 12:23pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

This is not a ripoff. Developer conferences have been going on since the 1980s. Sure, Apple's WWDC is now one of the longer standing developer conferences, because Apple had its own platform. Microsoft has been running conferences probably equally as long. Prior to that there was the homebrew computer club, and from that same era have spring an entire spectrum of conferences from comdex to CES to tiny conferences for small products, all of which have a developer component.

It is the headline of this article that calls it "WWDC", but there's really nothing that appears here to be copying Apple specifically.

Let's be serious here-- Mimicking the Apple store with their own company stores is copying apple. Ripping off the UI of iOS and the design of the iPhone is copying Apple. The "Samsung developers conference" is not copying Apple.

Geesh!
When everything the rich wallflower does emulates the beauty queen, to be a beauty queen, it is copy.

Addendum: And where're they going to hold it? A tea room.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #31 of 67
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Don't all Samsung phones use Google Play?   If yes, then what is the purpose of having a Samsung developers conference?   

 

Is Samsung launching a competitor to Google Play? 

 

Samsung launched a Google Play competitor called Samsung Hub.

Here's a press release about it:  http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=22881

 

So yes, apparently all Samsung phones that run Android can use Google Play,
but Sammy played it down on the original S4 in favor of Samsung Hub.  There's a special 

"S4 Google Play Edition," which runs a somewhat more vanilla version of Android that,

presumably, features Google Play more prominently.

 

But the writing is on the wall.  Sammy is ready and willing to branch (fork?) out on

their own.  With or without Google Play, with or without Android even.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Samsung already has a competitor to Google Play: http://apps.samsung.com

And this is them doubling down on it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

We need spies at this conference. I specifically can't wait to see the design of their presentation slides. I can bet $500 that they will look exactly like the Apple ones, using the same sparse layout, minimal text-per-slide, white-on-black background.

In fact, I will wager another $500 that they will use Keynote to create their keynote.

Sammy has a new app for this... SKeyNote!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,
    I was carting home a load with manly pride,
When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
    And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
   A high-toned lady, passing by, did chance to say:
"You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
    Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Now this fine turn to the poetic form is proof that AI stands tall against the plebeian sites that purport to speak on the field of higher tech.

Bow proud and long, brave Applebaum.
Edited by mhikl - 7/22/13 at 1:15pm

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Alternative to Android tomorrow: Tizen.

Tizen will actually run Android apps via a compatibility layer:

http://tizentalk.com/2012/05/run-android-apps-on-tizen/



"Sounds good to be true but OpenMobile World Wide, Inc., via their Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) product, will let you run 400,000+ Android apps on Tizen smartphones, tablets, IVIs, and connected TVs. They promise 100% compatibility, natively run without latencies, with zero developer effort."

There shouldn't be any lag or UI ugliness that Android users aren't already used to by now. Samsung could switch away from Android as soon as they wanted and the developers would go with them. This would cut Android in half. Some people think that Samsung would be making a big mistake and that the users love Android but customers don't care at all about Android itself, just what it enables them to do. Tizen would do the same thing and more.
post #36 of 67

All perfectly normal in the tech industry on open platforms. Prior to Oracle buying Sun for example, Sun ran JavaOne, Oracle ran OpenWorld, IBM had a Java-focused dev conference, as did RedHat, then there's Devoxx.

 

As for forking, the fundamental definition of open source is the right to fork. I realize this is incredibly hard for some people to understand, especially those fixated on all iteration and inspiration being "theft" or "copy". When VicG introduced Android at I/O, he specifically said the intent was to allow people to heavily modify it. For example, to use it to create devices that have nothing to do with it's original intent, much like Linux is now at the heart of many consumer electronics devices in your home, like routers, cable modems, DVRs/cable boxes, TV firmware, etc. 

 

Frankly, if Android didn't get forked, you'd have to say it wasn't open-source. Linux has been forked like crazy, and rather than weaken it, its stronger than ever. As long as Android serves its duty of preventing any one player from owning the mobile market, it will have done its job in preserving competition.

post #37 of 67

What operating system does Samsung make that people need to attend a WWDC for?  Bada?  Tizen? (chuckle)

 

And how many devices running either of those two OSs? How many developers develop for those two platforms?  How many apps currently exist for those two platforms. What's the yearly revenue for the apps on these two platforms? 

 

And how much money are paying these developers to attend.

post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Nice to see they're going all the way with copying Apple! They might as well go completely all out and start their own Samsung Retail Stores (outside of Best Buy)

Yep. I might want to consider a refrigerator when I am purchasing my phone! lol.gif

post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Tizen will actually run Android apps via a compatibility layer:

http://tizentalk.com/2012/05/run-android-apps-on-tizen/



"Sounds good to be true but OpenMobile World Wide, Inc., via their Application Compatibility Layer (ACL) product, will let you run 400,000+ Android apps on Tizen smartphones, tablets, IVIs, and connected TVs. They promise 100% compatibility, natively run without latencies, with zero developer effort."

There shouldn't be any lag or UI ugliness that Android users aren't already used to by now. Samsung could switch away from Android as soon as they wanted and the developers would go with them. This would cut Android in half. Some people think that Samsung would be making a big mistake and that the users love Android but customers don't care at all about Android itself, just what it enables them to do. Tizen would do the same thing and more.

Galaxy OS (Tizen) will be here sooner than later.

Will it affect Google other than a pride standpoint? Not sure. People will likely keep using Google services and viewing mobile ads.
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Google is going to get screwed by Samsung. It's only a matter of when.

Samsung will have to stand in line until MotoMo is finished screwing Google.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung launches its own "WWDC" as an alternative to Google IO