or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS maintains dominance over Android with 63% mobile browsing share
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS maintains dominance over Android with 63% mobile browsing share

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
New mobile Web browsing data shows that iOS users remain far more active on the Internet than their Android counterparts, with Apple's devices accounting for nearly two-thirds of all domestic mobile website traffic.

Piper Jaffray


With data pulled from 70 of the most popular mobile websites in the U.S., Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray found that traffic from iOS devices increased by 2.6 percentage points to capture 63 percent of domestic mobile traffic share. Android also saw a slight increase of 0.2 percentage points over the past four weeks, putting the platform at 28 percent ? less than half of Apple's share.

Other competing platforms, such as Microsoft's Windows Phone or BlackBerry 10, could only muster a collective 8 percent share as of July 19. That was down 2.6 percentage points over the last month.

In a research note to investors on Monday, Munster highlighted the fact that Apple's iOS platform was responsible for 80 percent of smartphone sales at AT&T in the first quarter of the year, while more than half of all smartphones activated at Verizon in the June quarter were iPhones. However, he said Apple's dominance among Web browsing it's not just attributable to the fact that the iPhone is the most popular smartphone in the U.S. ? iOS users are also clearly. more engaged with their devices than those who use Android.

Finally, Munster said that the iOS platform also sees a strong boost from tablets, where Apple's iPad lineup is again the market leader. Looking forward, he believes future products like a next-generation iPhone and a more affordable "iPhone Lite" will help maintain Apple's lead in mobile browser market share.

On a global scale, Android continues to outpace iOS in terms of market share, shipping on 59.5 percent of all worldwide "smart mobile devices" ??tablets, smartphones and laptops ? in the first quarter of calendar 2013. For that same period, Apple took a 19.3 percent share, according to Canalys.

Munster views Apple as "the leader in the mobile device and digital content distribution markets," and remains bullish on the company's stock. Piper Jaffray has maintained its $655 price target for AAPL shares, and continues to rate the company as "overweight."
post #2 of 29
More pie chart wars.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 29
Why are we discussing "mobile browsing" when I suspect these stats are combined smart phone and tablet numbers for the platform?
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Why are we discussing "mobile browsing" when I suspect these stats are combined smart phone and tablet numbers for the platform?

 

This rise the question of ads. Do we know if Apple is taking a cut on ads shown in google apps?

post #5 of 29
Related, another report to be taken with a few grains of salt today claimed Google is now handling about 25% of all web traffic in the US, up by a huge amount from the 6% estimated 3 years ago. If accurate Google may be handling more web traffic than Facebook, Netflix, and Instagram combined.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Why are we discussing "mobile browsing" when I suspect these stats are combined smart phone and tablet numbers for the platform?

How is a tablet not mobile?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Related, another report to be taken with a few grains of salt today claimed Google is now handling about 25% of all web traffic in the US, up by a huge amount from the 6% estimated 3 years ago. If accurate Google may be handling more web traffic than Facebook, Netflix, and Instagram combined.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How is a tablet not mobile?

Why would this Piper-Jaffrey report be trusted anymore than another from a few weeks ago?1wink.gif
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156667/apples-earnings-predicted-to-shrink-14-in-first-half-of-2013-but-grow-15-to-close-the-year
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



LOL! You've been saving that one for that "special moment". 1cool.gif

EDIT: Here's the source for the 25% of all web traffic claim:
http://www.deepfield.net/2013/07/google-sets-new-internet-record/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #9 of 29
If no one browses, then Google makes no money on ads.

Google is highly dependent on Apple because iOS users actually browse on the internet a lot. Most Android uses do not.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

EDIT: Here's the source for the 25% of all web traffic claim:
http://www.deepfield.net/2013/07/google-sets-new-internet-record/

Okay, well, since we're going off "end devices sending traffic to Google servers", I might actually buy that claim.

Because Google [REDACTED] Ads are [REDACTED] everywhere.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #11 of 29
Androiders browses and surf? What a novel idea.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, well, since we're going off "end devices sending traffic to Google servers", I might actually buy that claim.

Because Google [REDACTED] Ads are [REDACTED] everywhere.

Oh, the figure for "end devices sending traffic to Google servers in NA is over 60% according to the report.
"Based on measurements of end device and user audience share, Google is now bigger than Facebook, Netflix and Twitter combined.

An amazing 60% of all Internet end devices/users exchange traffic with Google servers during the course of an average day. This analysis includes computers and mobile device as well as hundreds of varieties game consoles, home media appliances, and other embedded devices (Google’s device share is much larger if we look only at computers and mobile devices)."

The 25% figure is for traffic to and from Google themselves if I read it right. The majority of it supposedly is Youtube.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #13 of 29
The article implies that Gene believes Apple mobile users are more engaged with their devices than Android users. I would put it just the other way.

While Android users are fiddling with and "engaging" with their devices, Apple users are freed to engage with the world, i.e. learning things and having a good time on the Internet.
post #14 of 29

I think what happens is that there aren't that many INDIVIDUAL Android users as there are iOS users, but the Android sales are more because the typical Android user is more likely going to just collect devices use them until something else comes out and they just put the old model in the drawer collecting dust or they sell it on the used market and it never gets used.

 

If there really are 3x the number of Android users to iOS users, then the numbers SHOULD be reversed, but they aren't.  I think my take on the market is just a lot more accurate.  I see and talk to a fair amount of Android users that have many phones in their collections, so they can't even use all of them......

 

Oh well.

post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The article implies that Gene believes Apple mobile users are more engaged with their devices than Android users. I would put it just the other way.

While Android users are fiddling with and "engaging" with their devices, Apple users are freed to engage with the world, i.e. learning things and having a good time on the Internet.

Android users:

"look at this custom ROM, 

"Look at my franco kernel overclocking my CPU to 4Ghzzzzz,

"Look at this launcher, it makes everything look flat!,

apple users:

I enjoy using my device. I'm going to browse the web.

Lol Android users.

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post

Android users:

"look at this custom ROM, 

"Look at my franco kernel overclocking my CPU to 4Ghzzzzz,

"Look at this launcher, it makes everything look flat!,

apple users:

I enjoy using my device. I'm going to browse the web.

Lol Android users.

Add to that.  Hey, 4.x.x just came out, I'm gonna get a new flagship phone to show off.  Then I'll root the phone to put something on it like Ubuntu,

 

Plus, I can customize my OS and have TOTAL CONTROL.

 

And look at all of the widgets!!!

 

Apple user:

But what apps are you using on your Android phone?

 

Android user:


Silence.

 


Microsoft users:

 

But, but, but Mine has a kickstand.  See.........  click.

post #17 of 29

Exactly.I think the only portion of the Android users that are legitmate with actually using their device are the mainstream Samsung "Galaxy" users who bought them because of a commercial. Most everyone else is just buyinig them because they are geek devices or cheap.

post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Add to that.  Hey, 4.x.x just came out, I'm gonna get a new flagship phone to show off.  Then I'll root the phone to put something on it like Ubuntu,

 

Plus, I can customize my OS and have TOTAL CONTROL.

 

And look at all of the widgets!!!

 

Apple user:

But what apps are you using on your Android phone?

 

Android user:


Silence.

 


Microsoft users:

 

But, but, but Mine has a kickstand.  See.........  click.

See, I personally have apple devices and Android devices, so I am not one of the "Geek" Android users, and although I like android to an extent, iOS is by far the better operating system for users and developers.

post #19 of 29

Did you miss the estimates that Apple is down 5% YOY in Mac sales?  Did you miss the reports that Apple is likely to report both an earnings miss and their first YOY revenue decline in a decade?  Did you fail to notice that Apple share of the tablet and smartphone markets has consistently declined quarter over quarter for at least a year now?

 

The fact that Apple users browse the web more is great - it is a nice testimony that Apple has so far gotten the user experience and ecosystem nice and sticky.  But that's basically irrelevant to the factors that will contribute to long term success in the marketplace.  

 

While the 'Apple is doomed' crowd is obviously smoking dope, you can't look at these sorts of numbers and then declare happy hour.  Apple faces very profound competition and for them to retain their lead they have to continuously innovate and expand their shipments quarter over quarter.

 

Are they doing that?

 

Personally, I think the jury is still out on it.  One thing I am fairly certain of, however, is that these sorts of web metrics are fundamentally useless in terms of being predictors for Apple's market penetration and their overall numbers.

post #20 of 29
Quote:
Did you miss the estimates that Apple is down 5% YOY in Mac sales?

Did you miss the part where estimate ≠ fact?
Quote:
Did you miss the reports that Apple is likely to report both an earnings miss and their first YOY revenue decline in a decade?

Did you miss the part where likely ≠ did?
Quote:
Did you fail to notice that Apple share of the tablet and smartphone markets has consistently declined quarter over quarter for at least a year now?

Did you fail to notice that Apple created the tablet market so they had 100% of the market until the first company created their own iPad knockoff, has only ever sold more tablets YoY, and... know what? You're not worth it. If you're too blind to have seen all that, you're too blind to have formulated those thoughts in the first place.
Quote:
But that's basically irrelevant to the factors that will contribute to long term success in the marketplace.

YEAH, THAT INTERNET. IT'S JUST A FAD. PEOPLE WON'T BE USING IT AS MUCH IN THE FUTURE.
Quote:
Apple faces very profound competition...

Ooh! From whom? This is news to anyone who has ever seen a computer since 2010, at least! Pins and needles here.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you miss the part where estimate ≠ fact?
Did you miss the part where likely ≠ did?
Did you fail to notice that Apple created the tablet market so they had 100% of the market until the first company created their own iPad knockoff, has only ever sold more tablets YoY, and... know what? You're not worth it. If you're too blind to have seen all that, you're too blind to have formulated those thoughts in the first place.
YEAH, THAT INTERNET. IT'S JUST A FAD. PEOPLE WON'T BE USING IT AS MUCH IN THE FUTURE.
Ooh! From whom? This is news to anyone who has ever seen a computer since 2010, at least! Pins and needles here.

 

http://news.investors.com/technology/072213-664622-apple-q3-earnings-seen-falling-maybe-revenue-too.htm

 

Let's just see what tomorrow brings.

 

FYI, I edited out a substantial rant against you because I realized that you are, as you labeled me, 'not worth it'.  The only thing that matters is the company's performance, and that's something we'll be seeing play out in the coming quarters. 

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Let's just see what tomorrow brings.

Before claiming things as fact that aren't. Yep. Glad you agree that you were wrong to say what you did.
Quote:
FYI, I edited out a substantial rant against you because I realized that you are, as you labeled me, 'not worth it'.  The only thing that matters is the company's performance, and that's something we'll be seeing play out in the coming quarters. 

That you wasted your time writing it in the first place is only funny, nothing more.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 29
tt92618 - Obviously, quality isn't measured by success in the marketplace, but apple happens to have both right now. if as you say apple doesn't have a monopoly on the market, that doesn't mean apple is doing something wrong. And If you think that success in the marketplace dictates who's best, then just look at how much money each company makes. Apple beats them all hands down by a wide margin. If you step back and look at your own comments, you can see that you're only interest is that Apple fails. Shouldn't you be happy that there are multiple companies out there making other companies better? We all know apple is largely responsible for not only the direction of all mobile technology software and hardware today, but advertising style and boxing, etc. And if you aren't happy with Apple, why bother reading through an Apple website?
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Before claiming things as fact that aren't. Yep. Glad you agree that you were wrong to say what you did.
 
 

I accept your apology. ;-)

post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

If you step back and look at your own comments, you can see that you're only interest is that Apple fails. 

 

On the contrary, my concern is that Apple succeed.  That can only be guaranteed to the degree that Apple continues to execute exceptionally, because the company's dominance was built on excellent execution and innovation.  Apple has been able to command high margins and they have been able to disrupt markets because they brought immense value into their product design, fabrication, marketing, and pricing.  That created lots of room for the company to grow.  However, the downside is that they incur more risk from failures in these core areas; Apple's market strategy and position is much more subject to impacts from execution failures because they don't have a position that is built around other factors.  So slipping in these areas is more important for them than you have indicated you consider it to be.

 

One of the things I have always found ironic about the cultish nature of Apple fans is the counter-productive nature the tendency exhibits.  You asked why I would read these fora if i'm unhappy with Apple.  Well, first, I never said I was unhappy with Apple.  I love most of Apple's products and think they are for the most part the best on the market.  I own a whole lot of them, and just got done dropping $2300 to get more.  But I think it is dangerous to be myopic when it comes to the hyper-competitive and fast-moving markets Apple is in.  And I think the cultishly defensive nature of Apple fans works, ultimately, to the detriment of Apple because it does not help the company maintain their edge.  The core issue is that many Apple fans will accept and embrace things that are simply poor design choices - and will vociferously defend them - because they are from Apple.  That's not optimum for the company because unless someone internal to the company is actively guarding against the lack of criticism from outside, the company can lose sight of their internal bar.

 

I do not believe that Apple's senior executive team is as harshly critical or evaluative as Steve Jobs was, and I think they ARE losing sight of that performance bar.  I don't see evidence in the work they are doing right now to support the idea that they are executing at the level they need to be to maintain their market position.  I think IOS7 clearly evidences that, as does much of the company's marketing in recent quarters, as does the lack of anything really innovative in terms of product.  And I am concerned by that.

 

Frankly, I think Apple would benefit more from fans who are willing to stand up and say 'this is crap' rather than sycophantically fawning over anything with an aluminum case and an Apple logo.  But what I see here is primarily an atmosphere of unconditional acceptance, without critical thought, that amounts to an endorsement of anything Apple does simply because they did it.  That sort of attitude emerges from the emotional investment Apple owners have with the brand, and it is understandable.  But that sort of emotionality is really a negative thing with respect to actually promoting success and growth, and it is just not going to help Apple stay sharp.


Edited by tt92618 - 7/22/13 at 4:20pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

 

FYI, I edited out a substantial rant against you because I realized that you are, as you labeled me, 'not worth it'.  The only thing that matters is the company's performance, and that's something we'll be seeing play out in the coming quarters. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Before claiming things as fact that aren't. Yep. Glad you agree that you were wrong to say what you did.
That you wasted your time writing it in the first place is only funny, nothing more.

You two sound like you've been married a looooooong time :)

post #27 of 29
Again, US Data Only where Apple is the dominating player. Not that i want the truth to be out and published everywhere. I just hope Apple fan boy dont go too smug about it.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

On the contrary, my concern is that Apple succeed. [blather, blather]

One of the things I have always found ironic about the cultish nature of Apple fans is the counter-productive nature the tendency exhibits.  You asked why I would read these fora if i'm unhappy with Apple.  Well, first, I never said I was unhappy with Apple.  I love most of Apple's products and think they are for the most part the best on the market.  I own a whole lot of them, and just got done dropping $2300 to get more.  But I think it is dangerous to be myopic when it comes to the hyper-competitive and fast-moving markets Apple is in.  And I think the cultishly defensive nature of Apple fans works, ultimately, to the detriment of Apple because it does not help the company maintain their edge.  The core issue is that many Apple fans will accept and embrace things that are simply poor design choices - and will vociferously defend them - because they are from Apple.  That's not optimum for the company because unless someone internal to the company is actively guarding against the lack of criticism from outside, the company can lose sight of their internal

Frankly, I think Apple would benefit more from fans who are willing to stand up and say 'this is crap' rather than sycophantically fawning over anything with an aluminum case and an Apple logo.  But what I see here is primarily an atmosphere of unconditional acceptance, without critical thought, that amounts to an endorsement of anything Apple does simply because they did it.  That sort of attitude emerges from the emotional investment Apple owners have with the brand, and it is understandable.

The brand. The logo. The aluminum case. The cultishly defensive nature of Apple fans..

I don't complain about Apple's design mistakes because I haven'r seen any lately. Ive and company are at the top of their game. Jobs redeemed American design, with Ive's help, and they are getting better and better at it. It has nothing to do with any goddamned cult. Or brand.

The last thing we want to do with artists is dispirit them with criticism, especially artists in technology, because none of us have the slightest clue about the difficulties concerning the five thousand things that have to be squeezed into an iPhone or an iMac. We are all lightweight dilettantes against these heavyweights. Remember how Steve Jobs was depressed over the reception given the iPad? Is that what you want?

Actually I don't care what you want. What do you have to say about the plastic on the back of the Samsung Galaxies? About the name "Galaxies"? Let's hear you say something about obvious bad execution.

Edit: Took out the ad homs.
Edited by Flaneur - 7/22/13 at 10:15pm
post #29 of 29
I have a growing suspicion that "Android market share" is illusory, reflecting the number of Android phones sold - not retained. Given the cheap construction of so many Android phones, coupled with being unable to get updates for many models, it is natural that adopters would have to keep replacing them. This represents a lot of churn. There are probably more Android phones in landfills than in the hands of actual users.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iOS maintains dominance over Android with 63% mobile browsing share
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS maintains dominance over Android with 63% mobile browsing share