or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging

'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging - Page 2

post #41 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Most people (at least in the U.S.) buy the phone with a plan and pay a far lower price anyway.  In most markets, you can get the iPhone5 for $200 and the iPhone 4s for either free or $99.   If this new "low-cost" iPhone is the same price, then what's the point?  The only benefit I see is that they can discontinue the iPhone 4s.

The point is that they can standardize on both 4" and lightning. The other point is that you will then have a clear demarcation in the iPhone product line with a premium and standard model. Selling older models was only a temporary solution and was never meant to be permanent. Assuming they use the Qualcomm front end that can operate on every single band and carrier in the world that also means far fewer SKU's. Instead of needing to make 4 version of the iPhone 4S and another 4 versions of the iPhone 5, they can simply make one iPhone lite model and sell it to every single country in he world which will be a huge cost savings. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #42 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really?

Care to point us to cites that show he called "...every single product and launch timeline last year"?

Pull up the past articles. In particular, look at his predictions from January 2012 and his timeline. Not being snarky but I'm not going to read for you.

I didn't say he's the next Jesus. I said he's more accurate than most and I trust his predictions for the most part.

That ok or am I not allowed to post my opinion?

No one's going to bother, and you know that.

Color me surprised -- or perhaps not -- that someone who's so seemingly sure of this guy's predictive abilities doesn't have the data/cites/links handy.

post #43 of 90

Weren't most of the production issues on the iPhone 5 because of the case?

If so, and assuming the 5S continues the tradition of using the same case design, why would there be the same issues?

Either he's a moron, or his has inside info that the 5S (or just "iPhone S (late 2013)", paired with the plastic "iPhone (late 2013)") will in fact have a different case design. 

post #44 of 90

duplicate

Edited by Andysol - 7/23/13 at 11:13am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #45 of 90
If you care enough to harass people about Ming Chi Kuo's pretty damn sparkling record (relatively speaking), then you should be bothered to care enough to pay attention when he's got something to say -- which AppleInsider, a site of whcih you're a prolific member, incessantly posts about. When everyone, including the normally impeccably sourced Bloomberg said apple would release a watch device within the year, it was Kuo, who said to expect it late next year. He's right about that so far. There will be no watch this year.
post #46 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"Marginally cheaper, comes in colours." Is just not going to do anything.

If the "cheap" iPhone is anywhere near these price estimates, then it won't be cheap and it won't be successful. Six months after launch you can often get discounts on the new iPhone that put it in the same range as this "cheap" one.

They need to go for volume, and thus they need to actually go "cheap," as in free on contract and 200-300 off contract.

An iPhone $200 off contract? I mean, do you even fucking believe what you're saying? Even Google can't afford to sell a phone for less than $300 off contract, when it's subsidizing the phone, and when it doesn't care about hardware profit, and when the phone is 8GB and doesn't even have LTE. I mean, come on. I'd love a $5 iPhone off contract, and so would everyone else, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna say that Apple "needs" to do that because it's just as unrealistic as your demand in terms of the economics. Apple is not about to lose money or break even on hardware, nor should they. Must be fun to live in this fantasy land of yours where you can just pull out some fantasy prices that have no grounding in history or reality and then demand that it be done, or else Apple is incompetent. 

Edited by Slurpy - 7/23/13 at 11:26am
post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

If you care enough to harass people about Ming Chi Kuo's pretty damn sparkling record (relatively speaking)

Love the weasel wording with the "relatively speaking". It's not hard to have a relatively sparkling record when everyone else is almost always wrong. Constantly pushing out release dates over and over again when your previous predicted date was wrong does not a "damn sparkling record" make. It just means he has no clue and will just keep pushing out dates until he might be right.

post #48 of 90

Who cares what this analyst said or how accurate his predictions were in the past? Anyone that has followed Apple and can see logic knows this makes perfect sense. Apple will introduce a $449  iPhone in multiple colors that will probably sell for free or zero on contract. I am surprised people actually think this won't happen. 

post #49 of 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Who cares what this analyst said or how accurate his predictions were in the past?

Anyone with a brain?
Quote:

Anyone that has followed Apple and can see logic knows this makes perfect sense. Apple will introduce a $449  iPhone in multiple colors that will probably sell for free or zero on contract. I am surprised people actually think this won't happen. 

And why exactly does it make perfect sense? Do you have an actual argument or evidence? Otherwise you are simply begging the question.

post #50 of 90
Quote:

If you care enough to harass people about Ming Chi Kuo's pretty damn sparkling record (relatively speaking)

Good point.

Let's review  just one of his predictions.

-In late 2012 He said there would be Redesigned iPad 5 w/ thinner bezel for 1st quarter of 2013. He has since moved it to 3rd/4th quarter.  Just moving the date, he will be right eventually.  I got news for you man- that's not a sparkling record- that's par for the course from every analyst out there.

My sources say the next iPhone will come out in September or October, and there will be an iPad and iPad mini refresh in 2014.  See?  It's easy.

post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Good point.

-In late 2012 He said there would be Redesigned iPad 5 w/ thinner bezel for 1st quarter of 2013. He has since moved it to 3rd/4th quarter.  Just moving the date, he will be right eventually.  I got news for you man- that's not a sparkling record- that's par for the course from every analyst out there.

My sources say the next iPhone will come out in September or October, and there will be an iPad and iPad mini refresh in 2014.  See?  It's easy.

Where can I subscribe to your newsletter? I'll pay whatever you want. Take my money, NOW!!!!!

post #52 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Anyone with a brain?

And why exactly does it make perfect sense? Do you have an actual argument or evidence? Otherwise you are simply begging the question.

I already explained my reasons in post #30. 

post #53 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I already explained my reasons in post #30. 

None of that addresses why "Apple will introduce a $449 iPhone in multiple colors that will probably sell for free or zero on contract". You state no actual reason why they would do "iPhones with multiple colors for free on contract".

Quote:
I think $450 could work and perhaps the $550 price is just the one with larger storage.  All new iPhone base models start at about $650 so this would be $200 cheaper. This could allow carriers to offer it for free or possibly $100 with a subsidy. A brand new Apple iPhone for $450 is still close enough to mid-tier levels that it could sell very well. 

You then go on about having one connector, the rumors about delays and then something about having 1 SKU. Care to point out where you address what you stated in the post I quoted?
post #54 of 90
Timing notwithstanding, he has a very strong track record. He's clearly not just blindly making stuff up. He has real sources in Apple's supply chain. Even Jim Dalrymple has acknowledged this. He's often particularly accurate when it comes to specs in future products. He also accurately predicted the supply constraints of the iMac months in advance. I'm not saying what he's publishing matters, but you're very wrong if you're just totally dismissing what he says on the grounds that he's just another analyst. He's not. And why the vitriol with you doofuses? Does it make you feel good to dismiss analysts?
post #55 of 90
Quote:

None of that addresses why "Apple will introduce a $449 iPhone in multiple colors that will probably sell for free or zero on contract". You simply state that they could do this or that not an actual reason why they would do that.

Care to point out where you address what you stated in the post I quoted?

They will introduce a variety of colors for the same reason they did so with the iPod touch. 

I most certainly did explain several reasons. I pointed out they wanted to ditch 3.5" with the 4S and standardize on 4" and lightning. I also said that thanks to the new Qualcomm front end which it will likely include they will no longer need to make 4 versions of the 4S or 5 which will result in a huge cost savings with fewer skus. This will also open the iPhone lite to over 200 carriers where the 4S and 5 will not function. I would think about 2 billion potential new customers is reason enough.  I also said it will allow less confusion and a clear demarcation between the premium and consumer lines of iPhones far better than selling previous year models. I could also add that people like to buy a new model not one from a previous year which is why you can get a big discount on a 2013 model car once the 2014 ones are released even if they are identical with no changes. Now you may not like my reasons or may disagree with all of them, but don't pretend I didn't defend my position. 

Here are my predictions

16GB iPhone lite Free on contract / $449 off contract

32GB iPhone lite $99 on contract / $549 off contract

32GB iPhone $199/$649

64GB iPhone $299/749

128GB iPhone $399/849

That would allow Apple to have a phone from free to $849 and at every $100 price point in between. Simple, logical, and very much the way Apple has always operated.

Edited by gwmac - 7/23/13 at 12:02pm

post #56 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Good point.

Keep in mind that John Gruber, a genuine Apple insider with impeccable sources, also hinted that an ipad 5 release in that time frame was possible. Apple makes plans for certain dates and pushes it back sometimes, you can't fault an otherwise accurate analyst for getting timing wrong sometimes. It might be easy to predict some device releases when stuff gets to be predictable (such as the fall release schedule), but he's announced all sorts of supply chain constraints, shipment volumes, and specifications for unreleased stuff with pretty excellent accuracy.
post #57 of 90
Quote:

Timing notwithstanding, he has a very strong track record.

Then prove it. Simply repeating this assertion is not proof.

post #58 of 90
Quote:

Then prove it. Simply repeating this assertion is not proof.

Of course it is. That's how the analysts do it, after all. Just say it often enough and eventually you'll be right, unless Apple NEVER does what you claim, in which case you just delete those articles from your website so no one ever knows.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No one's going to bother, and you know that.

Color me surprised -- or perhaps not -- that someone who's so seemingly sure of this guy's predictive abilities doesn't have the data/cites/links handy.

Your opinion is noted and appreciated. I'm not digging through articles for you, though. Time will tell.
post #60 of 90
Quote:

They will introduce a variety of colors for the same reason they did so with the iPod touch. 

Why? Because you say so?

Quote:

I most certainly did explain several reasons. I pointed out they wanted to ditch 3.5" with the 4S and standardize on 4" and lightning. I also said that thanks to the new Qualcomm front end which it will likely include they will no longer need to make 4 versions of the 4S or 5 which will result in a huge cost savings with fewer skus. This will also open the iPhone lite to over 200 carriers where the 4S and 5 will not function. I would think about 2 billion potential new customers is reason enough.  I also said it will allow less confusion and a clear demarcation between the premium and consumer lines of iPhones far better than selling previous year models. I could also add that people like to buy a new model not one from a previous year which is why you can get a big discount on a 2013 model car once the 2014 ones are released even if they are identical with no changes. Now you may not like my reasons or may disagree with all of them, but don't pretend I didn't defend my position. 

And why do any of those reasons translate into "iPhones with multiple colors"? What does the connector, the Qualcomm front end, or the number of SKUs have at all to do with having multiple case colors?

post #61 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

Keep in mind that John Gruber, a genuine Apple insider with impeccable sources, also hinted that an ipad 5 release in that time frame was possible.

Maybe because it's a completely duh statement? Wow, he and other people state that they will release a new iPad at around the same time they've released nearly every other updated version! OMG! STOP THE PRESSES!!!
post #62 of 90
Quote:

Keep in mind that John Gruber, a genuine Apple insider with impeccable sources, also hinted that an ipad 5 release in that time frame was possible. Apple makes plans for certain dates and pushes it back sometimes, you can't fault an otherwise accurate analyst for getting timing wrong sometimes. It might be easy to predict some device releases when stuff gets to be predictable (such as the fall release schedule), but he's announced all sorts of supply chain constraints, shipment volumes, and specifications for unreleased stuff with pretty excellent accuracy.

Don't waste your time, friend. Most of these folks can't see past the end of their nose. Case in point? iPad mini. It'll never happen.

Only, it did.

We will find out soon.
post #63 of 90
Quote:

Why? Because you say so?

And why do any of those reasons translate into "iPhones with multiple colors"? What does the connector, the Qualcomm front end, or the number of SKUs have at all to do with having multiple case colors?

So you basically concede all my other points and are fixated on the colors? Only Apple knows their reasons but if I had to speculate I would say more colors will appeal to a wider base of consumers. It will also especially appeal to the youth market. It will also clearly differentiate between the iPhone and iPhone lite lines. iOS 7 also introduced a more colorful GUI which seems to indicate they are ready to branch out from white and black. Personally this lite phone won't be for me so I really don't care why or what colors they choose. I always use a case so my iPhone will be the color of the case I choose and not the color of the iPhone. 

I would also think if Apple want to ditch the 4S and 5 they would want a replacement with it's own personality and what better way to do that by offering it in a variety of colors. I still think it is possible they might not use plastic and perhaps it could be aluminum or possibly some new type of material not seen before that doesn't feel like cheap plastic on other phones. 

post #64 of 90
Quote:

None of that addresses why "Apple will introduce a $449 iPhone in multiple colors that will probably sell for free or zero on contract". You state no actual reason why they would do "iPhones with multiple colors for free on contract".

You then go on about having one connector, the rumors about delays and then something about having 1 SKU. Care to point out where you address what you stated in the post I quoted?

How does it end up someone's lot in life to hang around the Internet, being a contentious douche bag for no particular reason other than to provoke some attention?

He does make sense. I don't know if its perfect sense, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Apple knows more about their business than we do, but it does make a lot of sense that they would replace the iPhone 4S price point with a far more desirable phone. With the 4 and 4S still selling like crazy, despite using the older screen size, not having LTE or the new connector, and using older, heavier, slower hardware, it seems very sensical to release a phone with colors, a thinner build, an A6 chip (as Ming Chi Kuo predicts), a bigger, better display that takes advantages of the newer apps.
post #65 of 90
Wtf... What level of intellect are we dealing with here? "Why would they release iPhones with colors..."? Does that require explanation? I think it does provide them a natural name for the new lower cost phone... iPhone Color. As opposed to iPhone Lite, which implicates it as lacking in some department.
post #66 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Don't waste your time, friend. Most of these folks can't see past the end of their nose. Case in point? iPad mini. It'll never happen.

Only, it did.

We will find out soon.

Even better is when they are proved wrong they either disappear, pretend they never made those predictions, or make excuses and pretend they were misunderstood and never made those statements in the first place. 

Just a few off the top of my head....it will be the iPhone 6 and not 5, the iPad Mini won't ever be made, the iPhone will always stay at 3.5", the Mac Pro is dead, iOS 6 is perfect and no major changes coming to iOS 7. It is usually the same group of people as well that get it wrong every time. 

post #67 of 90
Quote:

No, genius, Gruber doesn't talk about Apple unless he hears things worth saying. Why are you on this "nobody knows anything" high horse? Even the look of iOS 7 leaked to 9to5Mac. A big issue for Apple is that they can't seem to keep secrets anymore.
post #68 of 90
Quote:

Just a few off the top of my head....it will be the iPhone 6 and not 5, the iPad Mini won'y ever be made, the iPhone will always stay at 3.5", the Mac Pro is dead, iOS 6 is perfect and no major changes coming to iOS 7. It is usually the same group of people as well that get it wrong every time. 

The iPhone will get a 2.5" model because no one really needs apps or data… The xMac will exist… Apple will release a 4.5" and 5" iPhone… Oh, and, the larger iPhone will be the cheap model… lol.gif

Never mind everything ever said by macosrumors.com.

post #69 of 90
Quote:

So you basically concede all my other points and are fixated on the colors? 

I don't see their relevance to the post I originally responded to which said:

Quote:
Who cares what this analyst said or how accurate his predictions were in the past? Anyone that has followed Apple and can see logic knows this makes perfect sense. Apple will introduce a $449  iPhone in multiple colors that will probably sell for free or zero on contract. I am surprised people actually think this won't happen. 

You said that what you said in that post was addressed in the other post. But they have little to do with each other. So again, where does your post in #30 back up what you state in the post I quote again above

post #70 of 90
Quote:

Wtf... What level of intellect are we dealing with here? "Why would they release iPhones with colors..."? Does that require explanation? I think it does provide them a natural name for the new lower cost phone... iPhone Color. As opposed to iPhone Lite, which implicates it as lacking in some department.

Yes, it does require explanation. It seems that if they are doing it for the same reasons they did it for the iPod Touch that they would have simply already done it, no? Why the wait?

post #71 of 90
Quote:

If you care enough to harass people about Ming Chi Kuo's pretty damn sparkling record (relatively speaking), then you should be bothered to care enough to pay attention when he's got something to say -- which AppleInsider, a site of whcih you're a prolific member, incessantly posts about. When everyone, including the normally impeccably sourced Bloomberg said apple would release a watch device within the year, it was Kuo, who said to expect it late next year. He's right about that so far. There will be no watch this year.

Thanks for the laugh! lol.gif

post #72 of 90
Some stuff Ming Chi Kuo was accurate about just last year:

Here he predicted something that nobody else ever breathed a word about.
http://www.mactrast.com/2012/06/kgi-apple-to-retire-17-inch-macbook-pro-in-2012/

He got the prices and timing wrong on one product, got the event and products very right before anyone else did. He also stated the 13" would use a lower yield Retina display, which is true.
http://www.mactrast.com/2012/06/apple-to-reintroduce-macbook-series-at-wwdc/

This, stated with certitude, and quite in advance of it actually happening.
http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/apple-may-eliminate-the-white-macbook-in-favor-of-the-macbook-air/

And here he stated there would be a fourth generation iPad, which seemed to surprise everyone when it was actually announced.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/31/iphone_5_ipad_mini_among_8_new_apple_products_coming_before_end_of_2012
post #73 of 90
Quote:

No, genius, Gruber doesn't talk about Apple unless he hears things worth saying. Why are you on this "nobody knows anything" high horse? Even the look of iOS 7 leaked to 9to5Mac. A big issue for Apple is that they can't seem to keep secrets anymore.

I never said Gruber doesn't know anything, but your statement about how he says the iPad 5 will come out in the same period as pretty much all of the last few updates is not really a grand prediction.  Also, you've still yet to show that Kuo knows anything. He simply states ambiguous dates and then just keeps pushing them back whenever he's shown to be wrong. And then people like you laud him as being prescient when eventually he might have predicted the right date after 3 or 4 changes. That's not having a great track record. That's simply you being myopic to his incorrect claims.

post #74 of 90
Quote:

http://www.mactrast.com/2012/06/kgi-apple-to-retire-17-inch-macbook-pro-in-2012/

He got the prices and timing wrong on one product, got the event and products very right before anyone else did. He also stated the 13" would use a lower yield Retina display, which is true.

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/apple-may-eliminate-the-white-macbook-in-favor-of-the-macbook-air/

And here he stated there would be a fourth generation iPad, which seemed to surprise everyone when it was actually announced.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/31/iphone_5_ipad_mini_among_8_new_apple_products_coming_before_end_of_2012

So 4 things right (which is not correct since the second one he was wrong about just kept changing his dates until he was right) in 3 years? Wow, that's an amazing track record. Oh wait, it's not when you consider the many more predictions he made that were wrong. Yes, he has gotten a few things right. No, that does not make him some prescient genius.

post #75 of 90
Quote:

I never said Gruber doesn't know anything, but your statement about how he says the iPad 5 will come out in the same period as pretty much all of the last few updates is not really a grand prediction.  Also, you've still yet to show that Kuo knows anything. He simply states ambiguous dates and then just keeps pushing them back whenever he's shown to be wrong. And then people like you laud him as being prescient when eventually he might have predicted the right date after 3 or 4 changes. That's not having a great track record. That's simply you being myopic to his incorrect claims.

You simply don't get it.

Nobody is saying he's perfect. We have only said the guy has proven reliable in the past, based on his record. We aren't saying he's right this time. We are just saying he COULD be right based on his record. He has proven more accurate than the other analysts, like say, Brian White.

AI and other sites describe him as 'well connected' and note his better than average accuracy in the past. You're the only one that is right though, yeah?
post #76 of 90
Quote:

I don't see their relevance to the post I originally responded to which said:

You said that what you said in that post was addressed in the other post. But they have little to do with each other. So again, where does your post in #30 back up what you state in the post I quote again above

I am done with this dance. I gave you plenty of reasons. I am not here to defend or attack this analyst but to offer m own predictions. As of yet you have offered none. So since you think I am wrong, why not make your own predictions and we can bookmark this page and meet back in a few months to see who was right. Until then you are just blowing hot air. 

post #77 of 90
Quote:

Yes, it does require explanation. It seems that if they are doing it for the same reasons they did it for the iPod Touch that they would have simply already done it, no? Why the wait?

How could he possibly answer that? The low cost iphone might just be a defensive move made in the last year, or might be something they planned or assumed they'd do eventually. It might have something to do with procuring certain components at cheaper volume, hence the timing for this kind of device. It definitely makes more sense than it did last year, when we got a complete redesign and all sorts of new improvements, or the year before that, when a lot of smartphones didn't even have high res displays yet.
post #78 of 90
Quote:

So 4 things right (which is not correct since the second one he was wrong about just kept changing his dates until he was right) in 3 years? Wow, that's an amazing track record. Oh wait, it's not when you consider the many more predictions he made that were wrong. Yes, he has gotten a few things right. No, that does not make him some prescient genius.

No, that's just 4 of the things he was right about in the last 1.5 years. Who else predicted a 4th gen ipad, or that the 17" MacBook would be put to sleep? Hes not prescient. He's well sourced.
post #79 of 90
Quote:

Hey, here are some questions for you, since appear to know him well, and you are willing to go back two years to dig up four predictions of his (well, 3.5, but let's round it up):

1a) How many such predictions did he make in the last two years?

1b) How many came true?

2a) How many others made similar predictions? 

2b) What did he predict that others did not?

2b/a) Which of those came true?

2c) What did others predict that he did not?

2c/a) Which of those came true?

Unless you can provide us that data, take your spurious nonsense about how good he is somewhere else (where you think it might work).

Edited by anantksundaram - 7/23/13 at 1:22pm
post #80 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. NONE of these 'experts' have a very good track record. Someone really needs to track the predictions and produce a score card.

The sorry state of Apple analysis - CNN Money

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • 'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging